Cycle 1063 (Winter): Day 5

atpollard
Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Cycle 1063 (Winter): Day 5

#41 Post by Urson »

Jo
Jo has been quiet, content to leave the interrogation to the men. For what purpose? Why are you watching the inn? Or- I suppose this is a better question: What are you to pay special attention to? People coming and going? Finances? Something else?
FA FO

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#42 Post by atpollard »

Jacques Bonnet, Remy Hernandez, Mercutio Routledge, Samuel Linkletter, Josephine Baxter-Smith (Grogg and Tankard)
Cycle 1063 (Winter): Day 5: Shift 2: 2 Bells [Hamlet of Gwynedd: 45N,25W]

Josephine: For what purpose? Why are you watching the inn? Or- I suppose this is a better question: What are you to pay special attention to? People coming and going? Finances? Something else?

Caela turned and offered the most innocent of smiles and responded "Why, I am looking for what every good citizen is looking for. Evidence of which scoundrels attracted to the Grogg and Tankard are responsible for all of the crime and violence that has left good citizens afraid to leave their homes."

"I am going to make this easy for you." Caela announced to the entire party. "I am a business woman hired to do I job. I give NOTHING away for free. So, you have three choices." She paused briefly and shifted nervously "You can torture me and I will tell you whatever I think you want to hear, then you can take your chances with how much of it might actually be true … if you are that sort of people. Or you can turn me over to the authorities and I will face whatever charges they and you can prove." … another pause, and a small grin " or you can pay me 3000 credits to work for YOU instead of my former employer. As I said, I am only business woman hired to do a job."
"welcoming humbly His light and proudly His darkness" - e.e. cummings

AsenRG
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: Day 5: Shift 2: 2 Bells

#43 Post by AsenRG »

Remy shook his head.
"Not talking isn't going to do you any services. Let's start with the latest. Why did you steal it?", he asked first.
"And before you tell me you don't tell about kisses, consider that it depends on us whether you'd be exposed to the local authorities. What do you think they are doing to thieves? Should we ask a local?"
Such people are an outrage to all reasonable clients.
Me? I'd lost my password again. Why doesn't this forum want to remember the same pass that I do :mrgreen: ?

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#44 Post by Urson »

Jo
Jo hesitates a second, thinking that she could probably manage to fund Caela's change of heart. As a fellow businesswoman, I hope you understand that I wish to get proper value for any monies spent. If we pay you to turncoat on your current employer, what assurance do we have that you won't turncoat on us?
FA FO

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Day 5: Shift 2: 2 Bells

#45 Post by atpollard »

Jacques Bonnet, Remy Hernandez, Mercutio Routledge, Samuel Linkletter, Josephine Baxter-Smith (Grogg and Tankard)

Confronted by Remy and Jo, Caela became momentarily defensive before regaining her practiced composure. "You have badly misjudged me." she responded in hurt tones. "I have never betrayed a client or violated a contract. I never would. I have my reputation to protect." She settled into a more business-like posture "I am afraid that I can tell you nothing about any previous employers, and I would tell no future employers nothing that I was contracted to help you with. Whatever I was paid to see or hear and told my employer, and whatever they told me, you will need to learn by asking them." She offers a small grin "And yet, anything ELSE that I might have seen or heard that does not directly involve my contracted services, well that would be mine to keep or sell to anyone that might be interested."

Caela stood and faced Remy, placing her hands in front of her with the wrists crossed and ready to be bound. "If you think that I am a thief and you need to turn me in, then I suppose you better do what you must. Of course, from jail, I will not be available to offer my professional services and share what I might have seen and heard." A tilt of her head and a smile "Of course, if your group had any clout with the local authorities and could arrange for immunity …" she leaned closer to whisper "… I might be able to offer my services at a discount."

"So what will it be, is there a contract to be struck here?" she smiled "One way or another, I think I have completed my previous employment agreement."

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#46 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Jacques

He smiles at Caela's mercenary nature. "You remind me of some old friends. I call them friends only to be polite." He studies her and continues. "You take your contracts seriously, oui? Then I can assume that they contain a privacy clause? For if they do not, well then..."

"If we do retain your services, what would you provide? Further, who would be able to vouch for your services? A referral in town, perhaps? A body of work?"

"If your services would result in a favorable outcome, I'm confident that we could arrange immunity."

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#47 Post by atpollard »

Caela turned to address Jacques directly. "My contracts tend to be simple, specific and a bit informal." a small shrug "The nature of the business. However, confidentiality is assumed by all parties with harsh penalties for those that violate confidentiality."

Caela leans close to speak softly to Jacques "What I can provide depends on what you need." she chuckled. "My previous contract involved gathering information, so at the the moment I find myself with an unusual surplus of information. On the other hand, if you needed someone killed, either discreetly or to send a message, I could certainly handle the task. Something liberated from a safe location? Perhaps something delivered to a location where the police can find it? I am at your service if the price is right."

"Unfortunately, it would not be practical to have you inquire of past employers. Such an inquiry would likely get both of us killed. Well, you certainly. It would unquestionably create a great deal of bother for me that I would prefer to avoid by just facing the court with whatever charges you think you can prove. It’s not like I killed anyone, this time."

"If your services would result in a favorable outcome, I'm confident that we could arrange immunity." said Jacques.

Caela offered a broad grin "Would locating the individuals responsible for the violence count as a ‘favorable outcome’? I might have a hunch where to look for them."

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#48 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Jacques

"Information and the location of the killers. Yes. I think we can work something out." He asks the others a question while keeping his eyes on Caela. "Did anyone check to see if that drunk is lurking nearby?"

Back to Caela "Which brings me to our first professional interaction. A preview, if you will. There is another working in the town, a pretend drunk. I'm sure one such as yourself has noticed and worked around him. Who is he working for?"

"Answer this freely, and we will work together. All that is left is the haggling."

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#49 Post by atpollard »

Jacques: "Did anyone check to see if that drunk is lurking nearby?"

[Remy had scouted the perimeter of the Tavern but saw no sign of him in the vicinity.]

Jacques (turning back to Caela): "Which brings me to our first professional interaction. A preview, if you will. There is another working in the town, a pretend drunk. I'm sure one such as yourself has noticed and worked around him. Who is he working for? Answer this freely, and we will work together. All that is left is the haggling."

Caela remained silent for a long moment as she carefully considered how best to respond. "That would be old Jim you would be referring to. He lives in Old Town. House nearest the ferry crossing, right on the beach. Oh, the stories that I could tell you about Old Jim. Unfortunately, since my former employer is Jim’s current employer … well, you can see how it might be unethical for me to reveal that specific piece of information." she laughed "Especially as a free sample."

Caela winked at Jacques "A very nice try, m’lord. I will offer this about Jim as a free sample. Wear your purse on an inside pocket around old sticky fingers Jim and I have never known Jim to actually be drunk."

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#50 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Jacques

He nods as Caela confirms his suspicions. "I think this will be fine. The only concern I have is what you will do when we inevitably confront your ex-employer and he exposes you as an accomplice. In order for us to vouch for you, I'm afraid that you will have to name names, as you will." Jacques shrugs. "I see no way around that, especially considering who is your ex-employer."

"So. Without naming names right now, let's agree to a deal. A verbal agreement, of course, 1000 now and 2000 upon completion. To be agreed to by both parties."

"What can you tell me about the situation? Start at your arrival and include your actions, leaving out names."

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#51 Post by atpollard »

Jacques: " "What can you tell me about the situation? Start at your arrival and include your actions, leaving out names."

Caela feigns a childlike pout "My actions and the names that I can tell aren’t very interesting. I work in the Grogg and Tankard. I observe who comes and goes. I report on events that transpire here. You know about the details first hand. Two men tried to burn the place down and one of them was caught. You know which townsfolk helped put out the fire and which just stood and watched. Someone tried to kill one of the guests. They failed but escaped and their partner got caught. Someone robbed the wine cellar, but I heard the wine was recovered." She offered an innocent smile "Who would have suspected the owner of the Green Grape of selling fine wines and stealing them back to sell again?"

Caela leaned forward "What might be more interesting is the fact that the Tanner is digging a tunnel under the bank. For some reason, the tunnel needs to be finished in time for the Town Meeting to decide Gottard’s fate. I overheard one of the bouncers from the Gwynedd Hotel telling him so."

She leaned back and paused for a moment before continuing "Old sticky fingers Jim, the town drunk. Rumor has it that Jim used to do all sorts of ‘odd jobs’ for … somebody … only now that ‘somebody’ has tasked Jim with spreading rumors against the Grogg and tankard full time. Jim has been known to gather information on who might still be on the fence or supporting Gottard. It could just be a coincidence that those are the same people that seem to have more trouble from the crime, but what do I know. I just watch from the sidelines."

Caela stared at Josephine "Now if I were the sort of person that might hold a grudge over being shot" she smiled " and I wanted to locate the individual that shot me … " There was a long pause "I might take an interest in the small dock beneath the Hotel Gwynedd that leads from the beach to a small, nondescript door beneath the Hotel. I only mention it because a violent criminal MIGHT choose to hide in the secret rooms down there with the two sociopaths that might have been seen entering and leaving that place to terrorize citizens. I might have heard a rumor that they hold a strong resemblance to the bouncers at the Hotel who seldom seem to be actually working in the hotel."

Caela lifted her hands "But please don’t quote me on that." She smiled. "Of course, ‘live and let live’ is more my motto."
Last edited by atpollard on Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#52 Post by Urson »

Jo
Jo is grudgingly warming to this woman. She says nothing, but nods at the clues Caela has dropped about the thugs who assaulted her and her partners.
FA FO

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Day 5: Shift 2: 3 Bells

#53 Post by atpollard »

Cycle 1063 (Winter): Day 5: Shift 2: 3 Bells [Hamlet of Gwynedd: 45N,25W]

As time dragged on, Caela removed a deck of cards from her purse, shuffled, and said "If we are done with questions and you have nowhere to go, then how about a friendly game of poker. Just to make it interesting, let’s play for a copper a point." [1/100 credit per point].
"So who wants in?" Caela asked as she prepared to deal out hands.

[If anyone wants to play, the cost is 1 credit and roll a 2d6 + Gambling skill]
Caela roll [2d6] = 6

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#54 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Jacques

He nods at Caela's words, trying to tie up loose ends as they arise. He looks at the cards and then addresses the others. "What do you think? That's a lot of suspects and accomplices. Multiple bouncers, a hitman, the tanner digger, sober Jim...and that's just the active participants."

He paces a bit. "I'm leaning towards culling some of their numbers. Possibly starting with the goons who work at the hotel. A first strike, if you will."

"Caela. Does our arrangement include protection?"

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#55 Post by Urson »

Jo
Jo was fingering the coins in he pockets, deciding whether to play. After all, her jackass brother had gambled away three good Trade ships, and he claimed to be an expert.
When Jacques mentions 'culling suspects,' she looks up in alarm. I hope, sir, that you mean to clear their names.
FA FO

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#56 Post by Zhym »

Mercutio looks distinctly uncomfortable when Jacques mentions "culling" people.

"I must agree with lady Jo," he says. "If you intend otherwise, I cannot be a part."

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#57 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Jacques

He raises a brow at the questions. "Pardon me, sometimes my English isn't perfect. I merely mean to prevent them from interfering with the investigation. I am not sure we would clear their names, as I suspect Caela is correct in her appraisal, but I would prefer to roundup the thugs before they can amass and strike at us."

He glances at Remy and shrugs. "There is always the possibility that once confronted, they will choose to lash out rather than surrender quietly. We must be prepared for such an eventuality."

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#58 Post by Zhym »

Mercutio relaxes at Jacques's explanation. "That's okay, then," he says. "And if violence erupts while we're trying to apprehend them...well, 'first, do no harm' leaves quite a bit of room for doing harm in self-defense when first steps fail."

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#59 Post by atpollard »

Cycle 1063 (Winter): Day 5: Shift 2: 3 Bells [Hamlet of Gwynedd: 45N,25W]

"Caela. Does our arrangement include protection?" [Jacques]

Her ears had perked up at the sudden conversation, and the potential for violence had Caela’s complete attention. As the conversation shifted, so did her excitement … ending in a bit of a soft derisive snort. "I would prefer to be paid in advance if you intend to give those psychopaths ‘a good talking to’" she said with unveiled sarcasm. "Of course if it is merely soiling your hands that you object to, we could arrange a contract to deal with them. Let’s say Two thousand each for the psychopath bouncers and a group discount of five thousand for all three." She smiled cheerily. "None of you need to lift a finger, all three will be gone, and there will be nothing to link their tragic demise back to you."

"...well, 'first, do no harm' leaves quite a bit of room for doing harm in self-defense when first steps fail." [Mercutio]

Caela stared at him with a puzzled expression. "Why would anyone willingly plan to yield control and allow the enemy one free attack before defending yourself?"

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#60 Post by Zhym »

"Because it's an awful lot of bother to have to patch people back together if it's not absolutely necessary to take them apart in the first place," retorts 'Doc' Routledge.

Return to “Wild West Waterworld (Classic Traveller)”