Questions for the DMs

gray mouser
Strider
Strider

Re: Questions for the DMs

#41 Post by gray mouser »

Finally finished my cleric and have him waiting for DM approval.

In the meantime, I am wondering if the PC's will have an opportunity to hire hirelings and/or henchmen?

Bhart
Ranger
Ranger

#42 Post by Bhart »

gray mouser wrote:Finally finished my cleric and have him waiting for DM approval.

In the meantime, I am wondering if the PC's will have an opportunity to hire hirelings and/or henchmen?
Absolutely! It wouldn't be AD&D without them. ;)

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#43 Post by Nuke66 »

All I need to finish up is mundane dungeoneering equipment that fits in my new bag. I'll get on that.

gray mouser
Strider
Strider

#44 Post by gray mouser »

Bhart wrote:
gray mouser wrote:Finally finished my cleric and have him waiting for DM approval.

How do you want me to handle this? I was thinking of maybe having a single henchman and a few mercenary fighter type hirelings.

'Mouser

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#45 Post by max_vale »

Along the same lines......while I have no Fighter followers yet (or ever....as I can't reach 9th level...:( ); if I have established a church/temple/whatever; I would have 20+ followers.

While I certainly don't want to worry about tens/dozens of followers; could I just say I had a junior Cleric or two accompany me on the quest? If not; no biggie! :)

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#46 Post by Nuke66 »

I filled my Bag of Holding.

I assumed PHB, UA and the dungeoneer's survival guide for gear. Let me know if you feel if anything is out-of-line.

Mason is ready to Complete the ToH or perish in the attempt. :lol:

Bhart
Ranger
Ranger

#47 Post by Bhart »

max_vale wrote:Along the same lines......while I have no Fighter followers yet (or ever....as I can't reach 9th level...:( ); if I have established a church/temple/whatever; I would have 20+ followers.

While I certainly don't want to worry about tens/dozens of followers; could I just say I had a junior Cleric or two accompany me on the quest? If not; no biggie! :)
gray mouser wrote:
Bhart wrote:

How do you want me to handle this? I was thinking of maybe having a single henchman and a few mercenary fighter type hirelings.

'Mouser
I'll have a chat with Ron and get back to you when we decide.

Bhart
Ranger
Ranger

#48 Post by Bhart »

Followers, Henchmen, and Hirelings
Due to the reputation and location of the tomb it is extremely difficult to find any hired help willing to sign on to your expedition. The few you can find are expensive. So...

If you qualify for a follower you may bring only one. Their loyalty will never exceed 75 and you must give them 50% of your treasure. EDIT: My mistake. Followers are loyal and work for free.

If you do not bring a follower you may hire hirelings/henchmen. There are only 5 available to the group as a whole. They demand an equal share of treasure and their loyalty will never exceed 60 (-30 penalty due to the rep of the tomb)

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#49 Post by max_vale »

I will go with a follower, please! Do you want me to come up with background/name/etc. (I figure I'll leave stats to you DMs; or do you want to do it all?)

Bhart
Ranger
Ranger

#50 Post by Bhart »

max_vale wrote:I will go with a follower, please! Do you want me to come up with background/name/etc. (I figure I'll leave stats to you DMs; or do you want to do it all?)
I'll get back to you tomorrow night.

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#51 Post by Vargr1105 »

Bhart wrote:Each of you has received a summons from Ecrub'll Edro the vizier of the Overking Ivid V. A mission of great importance is being given to you. The royal family has fallen under a curse! In a deep slumber they are aging rapidly as if their life essence were being drained from them.
My God! We are working for Overking Invid the 5th? THE Invid the 5th? The would-be BATSHIT INSANE, demon-dealing, genocidal maniac Invid V?! :shock:

And we're doing this mission to save the guy's life? Aw man, our souls are forfeit even if we succeed.

That is...unless this is an alternate Greyhawk timeline that does away with them nasty Greyhawk Wars. What year is it by the way?

Bhart
Ranger
Ranger

#53 Post by Bhart »

Vargr1105 wrote:
Bhart wrote:Each of you has received a summons from Ecrub'll Edro the vizier of the Overking Ivid V. A mission of great importance is being given to you. The royal family has fallen under a curse! In a deep slumber they are aging rapidly as if their life essence were being drained from them.
My God! We are working for Overking Invid the 5th? THE Invid the 5th? The would-be BATSHIT INSANE, demon-dealing, genocidal maniac Invid V?! :shock:

And we're doing this mission to save the guy's life? Aw man, our souls are forfeit even if we succeed.

That is...unless this is an alternate Greyhawk timeline that does away with them nasty Greyhawk Wars. What year is it by the way?
It's a typo. Should be Ivid IV, he's still batshit crazy but not quite as bad as his son. There was no official timing for S1 so I chose to set it around 530cy. Ivid V has not even been born at this point and the 4th has not been in power long.

gray mouser
Strider
Strider

#54 Post by gray mouser »

I've been unable to see the picture of the doors that has been posted in our thread, for some reason. On the other hand, I can see the map pics fine. Any ideas if that means it's something with computer or with what has been posted?

'Mouser

Bhart
Ranger
Ranger

#55 Post by Bhart »

You're not the only one having problems Mouse. I suspect it's the Tiff file format. From now on I'll save them as PNG like the maps.

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#56 Post by Vargr1105 »

Whoa...months of playing and running games like this and I still feel like an initiate sometimes. Easy to learn, hard to master I guess.

I believe I have screwed up Halbrad's attack tables. Can the GM confirm what is the unadulterated THACO for a 10th level Fighter in AD&D1e?

Also, what happens when the weapon tables start going into zero and negatives?

Bhart
Ranger
Ranger

#58 Post by Bhart »

Vargr1105 wrote:Whoa...months of playing and running games like this and I still feel like an initiate sometimes. Easy to learn, hard to master I guess.

I believe I have screwed up Halbrad's attack tables. Can the GM confirm what is the unadulterated THACO for a 10th level Fighter in AD&D1e?

Also, what happens when the weapon tables start going into zero and negatives?
A fighter of 10th level has a THAC0 of 12.

To calculate the to hit number of any given AC just invert the positive/negative AC and apply it to the THAC0. e.g. to hit AC -1... 12+1=13 to hit; to hit AC 2...12-2=10 to hit.

I find it easier to use the AC value as it was intended and simply add it to your die roll (which is why lower number is better protection). If the total meets or exceeds THAC0 then you hit!

The THAC0 math works like normal up to the first 20 on the chart. For a 10th level fighter that would be AC -8. The 20's repeat five more times. In your case only AC -9 and -10. They require a natural 20 on the die, while the first 20 (AC-8) can be an adjusted total. If you were low enough level to have a 21 or greater on your chart they would require a natural 20 on the die plus a +1 combat bonus modifier for each point over 20.

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#59 Post by Vargr1105 »

Bhart wrote:Fosco leaps back and turns to run for it, but the halfling stumbles and falls on his face. He scrambles back to his feet and sprints with unnatural speed provided by his magic boots. The moving block is more than halfway across the hall at this point and accelerating. Things look grim for the little thief.

Halbrad make no effort to run and moves to the door and kicks it in. Meanwhile Mason frantically reaches into his bag of holding and hauls forth a chest. He fumbles with the latch and finally throws the lid open and starts searching for the metal wedges. While the monk is delayed Elsa rushes forward with spikes in hand while Zoster begins his long and complex spell. Elsa skids to a stop as she realizes she'll never make it in time. The massive stone block slams into the handful of large rocks that Xale and Mason had tossed against the wall. They hold it at bay for the moment leaving a narrow gap.

This buys Fosco just enough time to scurry through the narrow space between the west wall and the massive stone block. He's about half way through when he hears a cracking sound as some of the rocks begin to crumble under the relentless pressure. The halfling's life flashes before his eyes as the stone block moves again and pushes him against the east wall. Fosco is pinned and can't move, he hears more rocks beginning to crack and the the stone wall presses on him even more squeezing the breath from him and squashing his nose.

Long moments pass, he closes his eyes waiting to be crushed to death but suddenly there is a flash and a loud BLORP! Fosco is buried in a wave of mud as Zoster completes his rock to mud spell just in time.
Freaking awesome! Worthy of a movie scene! :D

I think we need an OOC thread.

zebediah
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#60 Post by zebediah »

Vargr1105 wrote: Freaking awesome! Worthy of a movie scene! :D

I think we need an OOC thread.
I second that.

And I have the feeling that Zoster might be needing a few more of that spell. Maybe we should set camp! :D

Return to “Party 1”