OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Re: The Unforgiving River Okeanos

#181 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The Voyage Turns Chaotic
The River Okeanos
Midday, Warm, Breezy

Traveling so fast now, it is nearly impossible to take a full breath of air. Even this well built ship is clearly unable to handle the stresses forced upon it by the wind and waves. The main mast cracks and splits, its sail now flopping around wildly while the crew continue the fight for their lives trying to get the vessel under control again. Anyone who hadn't lashed themselves to something sturdy is violently thrown around in the craft. A pair of the freed slaves flies over the edge of the ship screaming as they hit the water.

By the time Captain Lazereth has picked himself up, the deteriorating ship is just about to hit the fifth and final whirlpool. As it does so at such a ludicrous speed, the front end of the craft suddenly bursts apart, allowing water to splash and spill in through the bow, filling it instantly. Several crewmen scream out in terror as they abandon the inevitably sinking ship, leaping over the sides hoping to avoid certain death once the boat sinks to the bottom.

Valkrina and Euripides are lost to the sea as well, unable to remain inside the floundering craft, no matter how hard they try to hang on. They begin spinning around in the tumultuous waters, Feeling intense fear for their lives, the purloiner is still somehow able to remain at ease mentally. They watch as the craft filled with the remainder of their friends heads straight into the throat of the massive churning pool. (Let me have a random 3D6 roll and then a Test of Constitution from the two of you, please.)

Drest, Apollonius, Xenos, Kaul, and Hakon remain in the sundered craft, able to cut themselves free if they wish, but unsure if they should. They see others fleeing the sinking ship, and anyone who still can leaps over the side once the vessel starts spinning around on the edge of the whirlpool. The sleeping figure of Kumaglak bounces over the rail next, his magically sleeping form quickly disappearing under the surface. Captain Lazereth, his head bleeding badly from a flying yardarm, screams out to his crew once he acknowledges that his folly has likely gotten them all killed. "Abandon ship!!!! ABANDON SHIP!!! Every man for himself!!!" He cuts the ties from the only water cask and one crate of provisions before picking them up and leaping over the side into the churning sea. (Anyone who wants to enter the water, please give me a Test of Constitution.)

Actions?

Apollonius AC:8 5/5 2/2
Kaul AC:6 11/13
Valkrina AC:6 8/8 1/1
Drest AC:7 7/7
Euripides AC:5 7/7 2/2
Xenos AC:5 9/9 1/2 Sleep:5
Kumaglak AC:9 5/5 2/2
Hakon AC:4 4/9 1/1
Ragnarr AC:5 -2/13 (Unconscious)

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#182 Post by shaidar »

Having been brought up in the desert Xenos is trapped between the horror of jumping into the sea and staying on the ship and being dragged into the whirlpool. Seeing a watery death either way he decides to stay on the ship

"Mordezzan protect me" he mutters, At least I die a free man

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#183 Post by Bluetongue »

Valkrina

Belly flops as she is thrown into the churning seas, the ice cold waters numbing all but her senses.
She still clutches the short rope and adhoc float device as it is coiled around her wrists. Thinking to use it to save some other soul she finds her forward thinking might just save her.

Valkrina: Random [3d6]=13 Constitution check vs 1-2 [1d6]=4 Extraordinary feat of dexterity vs 32% [1d100]=7

Spluttering and gagging on salty seawater, she pulls the tied planks close to her and uses them as a body board. She grips her scrimshaw spear in each outstretched hand and tries to ride the currents as they twist and turn in the whirlpool circles.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#184 Post by Rex »

Drest

Drest decides to ride it out a bit longer on what remains of the ship.

Paladin
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#185 Post by Paladin »

Apollonius

The waves will drag us all down regardless, he muses. Perhaps it's better to use what remains of the ship to shelter myself from other debris in the churning waves?

He grits his teeth and prepares to ride it out.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#186 Post by Scott308 »

Euripides Nereos

Accustomed to spending time in the water, the young Atlantean is not used to conditions such as these. He is unsure if his gills are a curse or a blessing at this point, as they may only delay the inevitable death by drowning that his friends will surely succumb to in the next few moments.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#187 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The Voyage Abruptly Ends
The River Okeanos
Midday, Warm, Breezy

Deafening cracks of splintering wood and crashing waves ring out as the ship and everyone still on board is pulled down into the swirling vortex of wind and water. Crewmen and rescued slaves alike scream in terror, their last words completely lost on the gods of men and nature. In what seems like an eternity, but really only takes a few seconds, the vessel is ripped apart by the crushing forces, scattering its contents of men and material everywhere as it sinks to the bottom of the sea. Anyone remaining on board, trying to ride it out, is struck with all manner of debris as the ship implodes upon itself. 4 dam

The last thing many of you see is Hakon and Kaul fighting in a heroic struggle, the barbarian desperately trying to get the carved idol away from the Viking. Their eventual fate is still unknown, but as they both fight against the crashing waves, trying to stay afloat, Euripides and Valkrina notice the white gems in their own idols have turned a pitch black color now that they are submerged in the water. Still, the Atlantean is afforded the peace of mind he has held for the last few moments, not sure if he will live or die, while Valkrina seems extremely panicked, trying to use her floatation device to ride above it all, but failing miserably due to the sheer power of the elements.

The unconscious Ragnarr and the magically sleeping Kumaglak are sucked below the waves quickly, likely never to be seen again. The only other mentionable member of the voyage, Captain Lazereth himself, still proudly wearing the idol he stole from the cryomancer before the ship sank, screams out to Boreas in crazed tones. Though his idol gem is also black, he is seen going down still clutching onto the only remaining fresh water cask.

The deep sea sucking you under is the last thing each of you experience before all memory of the event is soon lost.

You can react to this last post if you like, but the only action I require from each of you this round would be a Test of Constitution. Once I get those, the adventure can officially begin. :D Thanks!

Apollonius AC:8 1/5 2/2
Valkrina AC:6 8/8 1/1
Drest AC:7 3/7
Euripides AC:5 7/7 2/2
Xenos AC:5 5/9 1/2

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#188 Post by Rex »

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#189 Post by shaidar »

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#191 Post by Bluetongue »

Valkrina

It is not a look of panic but psychopathic exhilaration from the Esquimaux.

Valkrina: Constitution check vs 1-2 [1d6]=1 Extraordinary feat of dexterity vs 32% [1d100]=23

Balancing astride the mini-raft, she chants in her native tongue and attempts to cast a Faerie Fire outline upon her own form as she descends into the dark void.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#192 Post by Scott308 »

Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#193 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The action resumes in a new thread here:

viewtopic.php?f=992&t=10898

Return to “Pawns of the North Wind (AS&SH 2e)”