MISSION 01: The Kovačić Extraction

Faanku
Faanku
Ranger
Ranger

MISSION 01: The Kovačić Extraction

#1 Post by Faanku »

The acrid stench of the Tumen river assaults your nostrils as the rest of your senses are assailed by lurid holographic adverts and cacophonous musical jingles, each desperate to draw you into one of the countless hostess bars, tea rooms and other less reputable dens of vice and excess that represent the beating heart of downtown Rason City. Swerving through the throng, you turn down a few alleys and eventually arrive at your destination; the adroitly named Kiss Kiss Bar, its large neon sign depicting two set of lips flickering on and off in sequence. Heading inside, past the excessively cheerful smiles and overly enthusiastic greetings of the scantily clad employees, you arrive at the private booth furthest in the back, just as you were instructed earlier, to where your latest employer awaits. You look the man over as you approach. He's corporate, that's a given, but the way he carries himself tells you this isn't his first rodeo. He's relaxed, at home here, unlike the two large men sat at the table over from him, trying and failing to hide their overwatch of the booth you now sit in. Mr Johnson's security.

"Thank you for coming." Johnson's voice is smooth, reassuring even. He hits a button on the side of the table, causing your ears to pop as the electrical soundproofing raises its secretive bubble around the booth. "I know you're all professionals, so I won't waste your time with small talk. The job is a simple extraction. Lihua Kovačić, currently held by Fujimoto Heavy. My client needs her by the end of this week." He slides a commlink across the table to you, its widescreen face displaying a high definition image of a young woman who appears to be in her mid 20s. "That comm holds a short dossier on Kovačić, as well as details on your payment. Once you have her secured, call the number listed and I'll tell you where the drop is." Leaning back into his seat, Mr Johnson flashes a brief smile. "Any questions?"
Seeing as Rat has the highest Edge, I'll let him make the Get the Job move this time.

thenewflesh
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: MISSION 01: The Kovačić Extraction

#2 Post by thenewflesh »

Salome glides through the throng of people, quiet, observant, and unnoticed. Into Kiss Kiss Bar. She used to sleep outside places like this, grotesque neon lights and tendrils of exhaust caressing her face. Her eyes flicker back and forth between Mr. Johnson and his boys for a moment - and then she's back at the job at hand. Extraction. It's been a while since she's done one of those. A job for a surgical knife instead of a jackhammer. Just her jig.

ZanKyu
Scout
Scout

#3 Post by ZanKyu »

John cursed A.L.I.C.E. silently for delivering him the invite while he was trying to push through the throng of people. The stench on the street was nauseating but still smelled better than his apartment. Now, sitting in the booth he felt more at ease. He was glad they were skipping the small talk, less time to watch this dick's smile.
>the employer provides useful assets [gear]
>the meeting doesn't attract attention
>the employer is identifiable

"Yeah." He took the commlink. "Do we have any idea where Kovačić is being held?"

Faanku
Ranger
Ranger

#4 Post by Faanku »

"She's most likely holed up in Fujimoto HQ." Watching the recognition dawn on your face, the Johnson smiles again. "Yeah, that fortress. Kovačić never leaves the Fujimoto arcology other than to travel. Fortunately for my client, and for yourselves, that happens fairly frequently. She's made nearly a dozen trips out of Korea this year alone. It's all in the comm's datafiles."

As the suit talks, A.L.I.C.E initiates a facial recognition scan on Johnson, running his likeness though her available databases, scouring tens of thousands of potential identities. Mr Smoothtalker comes back clean, incognito, but the two goons in the booth opposite? A.L.I.C.E is happy to silently report that they're both on the Ledokol payroll, meaning that Johnson is here representing the shipping firm.

"Oh, and one more thing. There's an address to an apartment listed in the comm's files. It's unocupied, but serves as something of a storehouse for various things that may prove useful to people in your line of work. My client wishes to offer you full access to these things in the hopes they might help you finish this job expediently. And speaking of which..." Johnson makes a show of checking his watch, a stylish silver piece almost definitely worn for form rather than function. "...you have 72 hours as of 9 seconds ago. Make them count." The suit remains seated, but his body language implies that this meeting is over,and that the next time he hears from you it will be when you have one Lihua Kovačić ready to be delivered.

What do you do?
OK, you kept the meet secret and managed to score some [Gear] whilst also getting some potential leverage on the employer. Pretty good first roll!
We're now into the Legwork phase, where you need to hit up contacts, research your target and formulate a plan for abducting Kovačić. This is also the part where all of you Stake Cred (page 127) on the job to see how much you'll get paid on a successful mission. You can state this in the OOC thread or ooc in here when you post a Move, either way is fine.

AoC
Strider
Strider

#5 Post by AoC »

Shelley perked up at the mention of the Fujimoto arcology. One of the corps that came to her for discreet implant maintenance had gotten sloppy under the gas and gone on a rant about shitty corporate insurance, the cutthroat inter-office politics and, above all the secretary and managers network. They wouldn't be that hard to hit up for details, they seemed really satisfied with the last knife session.
She shifted in the overstuffed booth chair and made a motion to the door "I think I can get us a week schedule..."
Shelley took another look around, her cybereyes darting around in a twitchy, uncomfortable manner. So much exposed skin, so much meat... She wanted to leave and go back to the comfort of quiet, dark places, focus on the job rather than the stench of mixed sweat and cheap perfume wafting around them.

Marisu
Scout
Scout

#6 Post by Marisu »

Fool put her hands up behind her head as she lounged on the booth seat and listened to the Johnson and John talk shop. "Fujimoto arcology, eh? That'll be outside my usual work route. Too bad, too, since I hear they tip reaaally nice." She lazily raises up a hand in an OK gesture for money. Her glance shifted to Shelley and Fool passed a grin. "I didn't know you could set up an appointment. Why don't I give you a lift?"

AoC
Strider
Strider

#7 Post by AoC »

"Fine," Shelley paid her respects to the table and made her way out with Fool "But please tell me you've cleaned the grease traps this time, I can't take that smell stuck on my hair, leaves me hungry for kimchidillas for days...
On the way there she started trying to hit up the contact. "eMail would be fine for a low stake poke for now" she thought.
This is your dentist to remind you it's time for a check-up and teeth clean-up. We're also happy to offer you a coupon for the trendy Seoul con Carne! food truck as a thank you for your continued loyalty as a patient. It will be outside your workplace, shortly
And send...
Message not delivered
Your message couldn't be delivered to kumami_cha@fujimoto.biz.nk because the remote server is misconfigured. See technical details below for more information.
"Bitch blocked me..." she said to herself, half-amused "Ohohohoooh, gutsy move, somebody is getting an expired batch of anests next time!"

ZanKyu
Scout
Scout

#8 Post by ZanKyu »

John stood up as soon as the suit finished talking. There was nothing more to be said and they both knew it. The less time they spent together, the less likely to shoot him right in his face. The suit was nothing else than a carrier of his master's wishes, chained by their will. He was as much of a tool than the two halfwits next to him.

He swiftly glanced his teammates. He had worked with all three of them in the past, on different occasions, and as much as he hated to admit it, they were all professionals. He trusted they knew what they had to do. "Alice, share the dossier with them." He let her take care of the briefing as he exited the bar and headed to his sedan.

The aged car, with its discolored paint, looked out of place in the city, like something from almost a century ago. Once inside he tapped the wheel. He run through his head several people that could be useful to start with, but his mind kept switching back to a certain guy. His jaw still hurt from their exchange several months ago. At the time they were on opposite sides of that job, but given how everything turned out he wouldn't care less of the corp he was working for, he was just doing his job. John liked that mindset. Maybe he could prove helpful this time.

Before that though he had to review the dossier himself to get a hold of as much information as possible. "Alice, do a quick scan on the commlink and give me the juice. What is the relationship between Kovačić and our boys in Ledokol?"
Okay, I'm going to first do It all fits together!
[2d6+2] = 11+2 = 13 It all fits together! (Edge)
and then I'm going to Research the dossier.
[2d6+1] = 5+1 = 6 Research (Mind)

Marisu
Scout
Scout

#9 Post by Marisu »

Fool nods to John and Salome before they go and taps the side of her head. "Don't forget to call in! I'll be around if you need anything, a ride, someone to talk to..."

She sends a signal to the food truck, and as soon as the two walk out to the street, Seoul con Carne!'s already parked in front of them with the engine running. "Not a chance, by the way, I think the grease really adds that dimension street foods need." Fool easily slides into her seat. "So? Where we going, Shelley?"
I'm gonna try to Help Shelley's next roll! [2d6+1+2]
EDIT: OK I messed that up, but this time I went through the roller site [2d6+3] = 8+3 = 11
Last edited by Marisu on Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

thenewflesh
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#10 Post by thenewflesh »

Salome's comm goes off with the address to the apartment.

She nods to Fool, silently walks out of Kiss Kiss Bar, to her Ripcycle, a small, sleek chromeplated affair. With a low, mean growl, it carries her down winding streets to the apartment.

Faanku
Ranger
Ranger

#11 Post by Faanku »

Leaving the Kiss Kiss Bar, the team state their intentions and split up. Shelley and Fool hop into the conspicuous Seoul con Carne! and start heading towards the Fujimoto arcology, the tech receiving a second email a few moments after the automated response from Kumagai, this time from a personal account.
risingheart@re-sist.nk wrote:Baegchi! Don't ever use my work address for things like this! Don't ever use my work address AT ALL! Whatever you need, I'm on double shifts until Tuesday, so it will have to wait anyway. I'm holding you accountable if I get more overtime from this!
The dossier John shares with the team is somewhat sparser than expected. Other than Kovačić's employment history at Fujimoto Heavy and the dates of her flights in to and out of Korea, there isn't much to go on. To compound his frustration, A.L.I.C.E returns nothing concrete regarding ties between the woman and Ledokol, just "tentative speculation" as the she puts it. The hunter's ambulatory reverie is broken by a gruff voice. "Yo, donglyo. Been looking for you." You know that voice. It belongs to Tseng, leader of a gang called the Gutterboys. You also recall that you owe them a chunk of cred for your last few doses of "medication". Alerting you to the fact that Tseng is accompanied by 4 hopped up Gutterboys, A.L.I.C.E offers the helpful suggestion to choose your next few words very carefully.

Meanwhile, Salome arrives at the ramshackle 18th floor apartment and punches in the unlock code to the door, revealing a veritable trove of quasi-legal equipment and sundries. She should have no trouble finding something useful here.

What do you do?
John, your analysis of the dossier lets you answer two questions: What department does Kovačić work for at Fujimoto, and how long has she been employed there? You can answer in character or OOC.
Shelley's miss on hitting up Kumagai has triggered FHI's automated account flagging, advancing the Legwork Clock to 15:00.
Salome's investigation of the apartment reveals the [gear] from John's Get the Job move. I've added it to his inventory for now, but it can be considered available to the group if you prefer.

AoC
Strider
Strider

#12 Post by AoC »

A cold chill ran through Shelley's neck. She had sent the mail in a hurry and didn't think about double checking if it was the business or the actual address. "Not gonna argue on that Fu, you certainly know your way around that grill. By the way, I think I just fucked up..." she sent a copy of the mail to Fool's comms. "I think the best idea would be to go with the initial plan, see what you can scope out with the Babo-rrito act"
Shelley slumped against the cold grill. She had been so confident about knowing a guy and now she had burned that fuse. But you can always replace a fuse. She sat straighter and started writing, the greasy smell somewhat calming her. Did she associate it with the meds like some sort of trained dog? No time to consider what that meant, but it did help clear her head.
That was a test and I'm afraid you failed it, be thankful I didn't call your extension. And I wasn't being glib about you needing upkeep soon, and I'd hate to see such nice implants ruined with a permanent mascara run. So you're going to run downstairs, get a nice fusion cuisine work lunch and drop a chip with the data I ask you. And no worries sojunghan, if it comes to that, I can make overtime worth it
Rolling Fast Talk [2d6+0] = 9+0 = 9
The response back was a tense "K", but Shelley knew that would be enough to keep prodding. She sent a mail detailing what she would need from her: Kovačić's schedule, specifically the next flight in their plan.
Rolling Hit the Streets [2d6+0] = 7+0 = 7
Choose Extra Cost and Unwanted Attention
She was certainly going to get upset, but it was worth it. But she certainly wouldn't be able to float the idea of further affordable modifications for a while. "Alright Fu, we're rolling now! Just... don't be surprised if she's a bit bitchy when she sees us"
Last edited by AoC on Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

ZanKyu
Scout
Scout

#13 Post by ZanKyu »

A.L.I.C.E.'s response flashed on John's mind. Kovačić has been working for three years at Fujimoto as head of the anomalous materials research department.. That would be a nice place to start.

Before he was able to make a decision though Tseng's voice interrupted his train of thought. He let out an audible sigh, checked that he had his gun and taser on him and got out of the car. "Hey Tseng." He studied the man and his lackeys trying to figure out the best way out of this.
[2d6+2] = 3+2 = 5 Assess (Edge)

>What is my best way out of this?
Last edited by ZanKyu on Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

Faanku
Ranger
Ranger

#14 Post by Faanku »

After analysing John's situation, A.L.I.C.E's advice is relatively simple; don't be a hero and pay what you owe. Tseng saunters up to the hunter, his voice dripping with confidence, and runs his hand over John's beater of a sedan. "Nice ride you got yourself here, donglyo. Just the kind of thing I'm looking for for a little something I'm planning. What say you loan her to me until next week, and I consider your debt paid? And because I'm feeling pretty good right now..." Tseng gives a nod to one of his Gutterboys whose left forearm springs open, and the ganger pulls a couple of light blue pills from the hidden compartment. "...your next flight's on me. Deal?"

Meanwhile, over at the Fujimoto Arcology... More than 30 minutes pass before Kumagai eventually arrives at Seoul con Carne!, the office worker marching right up to Shelly with a face like thunder. "'Be thankful I didn't call your extension?!' Who the hell do you think you are, Shelley? Do you have any idea how fucked I am if my credentials get flagged as a conspirator? I'd be lucky if my job is the only thing I'd lose! Gae-sae-ggi!" The woman takes a deep breath in an attempt to calm down, with moderate success. "I am not above leaking a few files for some extra cred. But this is a business, not some moral crusade against the man or whatever the fuck you think you're doing with your life. I don't owe you anything, and you sure as hell don't get to make demands of me. Understood?"

Kumagai seems to feel a little better after venting her frustrations, and even orders a Burritozillaaaaa; Fool's delicious olfactory-based advertising claiming another victim. After taking a few bites, Kumagai's tone changes to something more professional, more amiable. "The pull request for this timetable will have been logged, as usual. I used some temp's credentials with elevated privileges, but that will only fool the automated overwatch systems. We're definitely going to attract some attention from FHI if... or WHEN anything happens to this Kovačić. Be warned." After finishing her food, the office worker slides you a microSD as subtly as possible. "Is that everything?" Unless you stop her, Kumagai will take her leave and return to the FHI arcology, telling you to stay safe before she does so.

Fortunately, Kumagai's information is useful. It seems that Kovačić will be leaving the Geongseong Facility on Sunday morning 06:00 and travelling by limousine to Rason International Airport, where she will take a plane out of Korea.

What do you do?
Your Sedan will be unavailable for the rest of this mission, and will likely be used in something illegal.

Your 9 on Fast Talk attracted the attention of FHI security, advancing their Corporate Clock to 13:00.
The schedule you got a hold of cost you extra, or -2 cred, and also aroused extra suspicion in Kovačić' security detail: the Legwork Clock is now at 18:00.
The schedule also notes Kovačić's stated reason for flying: What is it?

Marisu
Scout
Scout

#15 Post by Marisu »

Fool lowers her gas mask as she hands off the wrapped burrito, stuffed to the brim with beans and soycheese buldak, and a thumb of salsa on the side. "Pleasure doing business with ya!" The woman grins and waits patiently for the end of Shelley's conversation. Once it seems over, she takes off her apron and starts up the engine once more to whisk the two of them off to the outskirts of the arcology where they can delve into the info. "Nice girl. Seems frustrated and overworked, though."

"Now, about that schedule you got. By limousine, hm..." She cruises around the streets without a particular direction in mind. "I'm betting they're going to go with a corp driver." Fool blows some smoke from the window, and takes another pull. "Limos are tough, huh~ Infiltrating the corp itself just to get a driver inside seems, heh, foolish! We could cut her off at the airport itself, but that gives FHI plenty of time to set up their security team, plus if we mess up that leaves us little wiggle room for her flying. In my opinion, our best shot is intercepting the caravan out on the street. It's gonna be flashy. It's gonna be loud. Especially if they've got an escort. I know John's got a ride, so we could run a blockade..."

Fool tapped the side of her skull, seeing if she can reach Salome. "Good day~ I'm calling about your food delivery. Just confirming, we'll be there in twenty minutes with some extra sauce." She winks, as if that'll go through on voice.

I'll leave AoC to decide Kovačić's reason for flying!

thenewflesh
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#16 Post by thenewflesh »

Salome examines the legal gear. What the hell to do with this? she ponders.

Mikhail Volkov, rogue paralegal - used to work for the Russian army, covering up their messes. One of the Nosdraviye crises took him south to Rason city, and now he works his own long hours in a shitty little office in a shitty little street. Thank god for him Blue Lotus often needs legal assistance.

Salome takes a picture of some of the stacks of paper and emails him.
Privyet.
Need to get into the Fujimoto HQ with 3 others. Have piles of legal ammo - see attached - can you find excuse to enter? Will send detailed info if so.
Thanks -S

Fool's voice crackles through on her old comm. Salome's voice is smooth and precise, her enunciation perfect. "Very good. I am at the apartment."

ZanKyu
Scout
Scout

#17 Post by ZanKyu »

Walking towards the apartment, he played with the pills in his pocket. He felt a mix of defeatism and repressed anger surging in him. He wanted to take one of them right now and let everything go, but the clock was ticking.

"Alice, send message to Takeo."
It's been a while. Grab a beer with me, my treat.

Faanku
Ranger
Ranger

#18 Post by Faanku »

John gets a reply moments later.
nekolover@alwayscaturday.nk.com wrote:It's like you read my mind. I'll be downtown in half an hour.
After finding out where to meet you, Takeo arrives precisely 29 minutes later. "You look as terrible as ever, John." he says with a reserved smile. Once you've taken a seat and ordered the drinks, the driver looks at you expectantly and asks. "So? You never want to just meet for a drink. What do you need this time?" This is the Takeo you know. Not unkind, not upset in any way, just interested in what trouble you've gotten into and what he can do to help.

Around the same time, Salome receives a response from her legal contact.
m.volkov@volkov.legal.firm.nk wrote:Have potential answers, but need more info to go on. Call me if you can.

M

= THIS DOCUMENT IS INADMISSIBLE AS EVIDENCE IN A COURT OF LAW [19.F(c/vii)]. PARTICIPANTS INVOKE ALL APPLICABLE LAWS AND STATUTES REGARDING SELF-INCRIMINATION [7.A(c/iv)] =

thenewflesh
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#19 Post by thenewflesh »

Zzt. The old comm buzzes into action.

"Hello Mikhail."

She pronounces his name with a perfect Russian accent.

"Thank you for the reply. What do you need to know?"

ZanKyu
Scout
Scout

#20 Post by ZanKyu »

"I really felt like I needed a beer." He opened up the bottle and took a long sip."There's also business." He tossed a different commlink towards Takeo and let an image of Kovačić appear. "She works at Fujimoto too I've heard. Do you know her?" He lets him take a sip on his own drink before continuing. "More precisely I would like to know who takes the bird out of the cage for a flight and how they get there."
Hit the Street [2d6+0] = 8+0 = 8

>Attract unwanted attention.
>They need a favor.
Last edited by ZanKyu on Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Neon Shadows (PbtA: The Sprawl)”