Investigation #5: Joker, Roy, & Mac: The Haunting of 601 North E Street

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

Re: Investigation #5: Joker, Roy, & Mac: The Haunting of 601 North E Street

#481 Post by GreyWolfVT »

in that case Roy will use some BP for the soak
Using Brownie Point [6d6]=25
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Taaz
Ranger
Ranger

#482 Post by Taaz »

Im just gonna let mine stand so you dont wait on me

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#483 Post by Urson »

again, I'll take care of this when I'm home.
FA FO

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#485 Post by Urson »

Joker
Joker smiles. Thank you, Julia. He hands her the phone and PKE, then lights a cigar. If anything changes on these, read it to me.
Moves: 2 Cool: 3
Cool roll [2d6]=9 ghost [1d6]=3
EE- Ecto engine ES-Ecto suspension

Leg 1
[3d6]=9 ghost [1d6]=1 +2 BP
ES [5d6]=15 ghost [1d6]=6

Leg 2
[5d6]=15 ghost [1d6]=6 +3BP
ES [5d6]=14 ghost [1d6]=3
EE[5d6]=14 ghost [1d6]=5

Leg 3
[4d6]=18 ghost [1d6]=6+ 3BP
ES [5d6]=22 ghost [1d6]=3
EE[4d6]=13 ghost [1d6]=2

Leg 4
Cool [6d6]=13 Ghost [1d6]=6 +4BP
[4d6]=13 ghost [1d6]=4 +3 BP
ES [5d6]=15 ghost [1d6]=2
EE [5d6]=16 ghost [1d6]=2

Leg 5
Cool [4d6]=18 ghost [1d6]=6 +3
[1d6]=3 ghost [1d6]=5
ES [5d6]=19 ghost [1d6]=5
EE [5d6]=20 ghost [1d6]=5

Joker sags in his seat for a moment, feeling utterly drained. He shakes his head, gets himself together, grabs a trap and a first aid pack, and heads for the door.
FA FO

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#486 Post by Bluehorse »

The Haunting of 601 North E Street
The Warlock's Presence.
September 10, 2018, 2:15 pm
Warming up. Thunder and wind calming outside.

Joker's Field Device Timer:  16/18
Urson wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:20 pm Joker
Joker smiles. Thank you, Julia. He hands her the phone and PKE, then lights a cigar. If anything changes on these, read it to me.
Julia eyes the cigar but makes no comment as he hands her the phone and she looks at it perplexed for a moment but then nods. I'll do what I can...

Lets see how intuitive she is to the readouts
Brains v20 [3d6]=10 G: [1d6]=6
Could be better :) But she is still technique an untrained civilian.

Joker: moves v20 backing out the basement garage.
Suspension roll v20

Re-Roll your cool to get your head together, v10 to get rid of the -5 penalty.
Urson wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:20 pm Moves: 2 Cool: 3
Cool roll [2d6]=9 ghost [1d6]=3 Success!!!
EE- Ecto engine ES-Ecto suspension
Urson wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:20 pm Leg 1
[3d6]=9 ghost [1d6]=1 +2 BP Fail!
ES [5d6]=15 ghost [1d6]=6 Success!
Joker is feeling surer of himself but is still unfamiliar with the Jeep it seems, or at least backing out of the basement. He gets nervous at the narrow entrance and steep ramp and hits the concrete foundations of the building on the way out +5

Roll Tough v20. >20 means no damage but you still lose 1 Tough from this round. If <20 roll for 1d6 Damage.

It occurs to me that having you do all these secondary rolls is unfair, so I will roll them for you to see what happens. If you would rather roll these yourself in the future, let me know. Just don't want you to feel dumped on.

Ecto Tough v20 [5d6]=17 Fail
Ecto Dmg [1d6]=4

This time, Joker is sure that he damaged the back corner of the Jeep, but a quick adjustment and they are shooting up the ramp and are quickly out in the breaking sunlight as the would-be storm seems to have passed. He is able to turn out onto the street and it on his way, sirens and lights still on. He earns a yelp from Julia when they hit the wall and then a look. Are you sure you don't need me to drive?

Round 1 Summary: DMG: 4/25. ETA: 1:05.
Tough: 4/7
Joker: moves v20 Leg 2 down Towson.
Suspension roll v20
Engine roll v20
Urson wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:20 pmLeg 2
[5d6]=15 ghost [1d6]=6 +3BP Success!
ES [5d6]=14 ghost [1d6]=3 Fail
EE[5d6]=14 ghost [1d6]=5 Fail
ES v20-5[5d6]=17 G: [1d6]=2 Fail!
EE v20[5d6]=18 G: [1d6]=2 Success!
Joker guides the Ecto onto the street and is able to get pointed back down Towson Ave, but with the wobbly suspension, he has to readjust a little too much and there seems to be a hesitation in how quickly he can get the engine up to speed because of this due to the unsteadiness on the wheels. +5

Ecto Tough v20 [4d6]=11
Ecto Dmg [1d6]=1

Joker is sure he felt and maybe heard something come lose just then and ping on the pavement...

Julia seems unimpressed but eyes the traffic as they pull out. Did no one think to look this thing over? The suspension sucks!

Round 2 Summary: DMG: 5/25. ETA: 1:10.
Tough: 3/7
Urson wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:20 pmLeg 3
[4d6]=18 ghost [1d6]=6+ 3BP Success!
ES [5d6]=22 ghost [1d6]=3 Success!
EE[4d6]=13 ghost [1d6]=2 Fail!
The Turkish Traffic Terror finds himself moving quickly and efficiently down the Ave! Straight lines are goo but it only gets him so far before he is weaving in and out of the major intersections again to get down Garrison Ave.

Julia surprisingly enough seems to have nerves of steel during the high-speed weaving, at least until the engine seems to hesitate, this time seemingly unrelated to the maneuvering...
EE v20[5d6]=14 G: [1d6]=5
Ecto Tough v20 [3d6]=12 +1Bp [1d6]=2
Ecto Dmg [1d6]=1

Despite smashing the pedal to the metal the engine sputters and has clearly lost some of its power. +5

Joker: moves v20 Leg 3 crossing Garrison.
Suspension roll v20
Engine roll v20

Round 3 Summary: DMG: 7/25. ETA: 1:15.
Tough: 2/7
Joker hears the PKE go insane all of a sudden. Even if he can get a glance at it, he will understand something is VERY wrong at 601 North E Street!
Joker: Cool v20 to keep calm. Fail = -5
Joker: moves v20 Leg 4 to 6th Street.
Suspension roll v20
Engine roll v20
Urson wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:20 pmLeg 4
Cool [6d6]=13 Ghost [1d6]=6 +4BP Fail
[4d6]=13 ghost [1d6]=4 +3 BP Success
ES [5d6]=15 ghost [1d6]=2 Fail
EE [5d6]=16 ghost [1d6]=2 Fail
Julia hears and sees the phone go cazy and seems to panic a little trying to read what the alien technology is indicating. Uh... There is a green thing making waves that keeps switching directions, and a red dot that looks like a Pong game bouncing all over.... There are a lot of lights, blue, yellow, and red... flashing a lot... and it is screaming at me... I swear I didn't touch anything! I was just.... WATCH OUT!!! she points ahead of them.

ES v20-5[5d6]=18 G: [1d6]=4 17 Fail +5
EE v20[5d6]=22 G: [1d6]=2 Success! -5
Ecto Tough v20 [2d6]=8 +1Bp [1d6]=6 Fail
Ecto Dmg [1d6]=1 Luck where it counts!

Joker does some expert-level maneuvering just in time to miss a box truck but once more hops a curb at the corner of 6th Street, plowing over the city flowerbed planted there. The bad shocks causing Joker to lose his footing on the gas pedal with all the jostling and has to hunt for it momentarily before getting the Jeep moving again.

Round 4 Summary: DMG: 9/25. ETA: 1:15.
Tough: 1/7
Then the PKE goes 100% quiet. Literally nothing. Cool v20. Success = remove -5 (Regardless of the previous roll, potential bonus!) Fail = -5 (Stackable)
Joker: moves v20 Leg 5 to North E Street.
Suspension roll v20
Engine roll v20
Urson wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:20 pmLeg 5
Cool [4d6]=18 ghost [1d6]=6 +3 Success!!!
[1d6]=3 ghost [1d6]=5 Fail
ES [5d6]=19 ghost [1d6]=5 Success!!!
EE [5d6]=20 ghost [1d6]=5 Success!!!
Julia quickly recovered from the automotive gymnastics and gives Joker another look before looking back at his phone just in time to see it go neutral and giving no readings at all. Um.... it quit now... just a blank screen... well... mostly blank... no noise or waves or flashing things... Did I break it?

As Joker takes his sigh of relief, he becomes complacent and while looking over at the phone for confirmation of the readings, he is moving through the old residential area now and drifts towards one of the cars parked on the curb!

ES v20-5[5d6]=5 G: [1d6]=4 Hitting it!

Ecto Tough v20 [1d6]=3 +3Bp [3d6]=10
Ecto Dmg [2d6]=11

Round 5 Summary: DMG: 23/25. ETA: 1:25.
Tough: 0/7
Engine: 6
Suspension: 6
Tough: 0/7
Tech: 6

Talents that might apply here are Brakes.
The penalty will be Old Shocks.

DMG:
23/25.
Urson wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:20 pm Joker sags in his seat for a moment, feeling utterly drained. He shakes his head, gets himself together, grabs a trap and a first aid pack, and heads for the door.
Joker gets the Ecto parked next to the house on the corner of 6th Street and North E Street. Julia is looking back over her shoulder at the car behind them that they side-swiped, wide-eyed. Well that could have been worse...

That being said, she grabs the First Aid kit from Joker, handing back his phone and throws open the door of the now very beat-up looking Ecto, not sparing it a look as she moves over to the front door, Joker or not.

I cannot help but picture it something like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AMDiTkdaqY&t=540s

The Blue Phantasm is nowhere to be seen. The house instantly seems to begin to warm back up and whether connected or not is emphasized by the calming of the thunder and wind outside.

Lionel moves to Elizabeth to help her up and finds her unconscious. The second thing he will notice is not both of her hands, not just one, looks withered and hurt. Not unlike the effect the poltergeist had on Lionel and the others when it used its breath attack on them except the flesh doesn't seem so much eaten away as the life is just gone from them like they aged decades all at once.

Jason, Roy, and Mac all feel varying degrees of awful. The PKEs are quiet. Amazingly quiet after all that has happened. Then they chirp. You remember that sound from your training at GBI but it is rare. It takes a long moment before you all remember that it indicates an anti-PKE zone.

Jessica, Kelly, and the other witches move to help with Elizabeth but like everyone else, they look all the worst for wear though none seem injured to the extent that the unconscious witch is.

Inventory:   
Ecto: 1 PKE Extention for Phones, PKE Extention, Ecto Goggles - M, 1 Slime Blower, 1 Sniffer
======================================================================
Jason: Phone, Proton Pack
Lionel: Phone, Proton Pack
Roy: Phone, Proton Pack, Trap, Ecto Goggles - M
Joker: Ecto Keys, Phone, Traps x3 - no charge. Will need 2 full rounds in the Containment unit to charge each before meeting minimum requirements.
Mac: Phone, Proton Pack, Ecto Goggle - A.
Witches: Mary Duncan's Book of Shadows, Hex Bag
Joker's Field Generator: Sandwichboarded to the Livingroom Floor. [Proton Pack, PKE - A, 2 Traps cobbled together for a Field Generating Device]

Phylactery?
Brownie Point Spending:
Joker: -18 to Rolls.
14 Jason 175x.25=44
43 Lionel 159x.75=120-10=110
34 Roy 131x.50=66-06=60
40 Mac 113x.75=57-07=50

Actions?
Brownie Point Pool:
Dr. Jason O'Roarke: 44/214 @@
Lionel 'Freight Train' Williams: 110/188 @
Roy O'Dowd: 60/157 @@
Dzjokar "Joker" Jelal: 193/260
David "Mac" McAuslan: 50/191

Jessica: 11/75
Kelly: 13/75
Elizabeth: 34/75

@ = One free re-roll without ghost die.  Merry Christmas 2019 & 2020!

GreyWolfVT

#487 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Roy feeling like crap "I think I need a bed, some coffee and maybe soup."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Taaz
Ranger
Ranger

#488 Post by Taaz »

Well that was...painful, lets not do it again. He sags against a nearby wall, I dont know what bought us the time but we need to find that phylactery and get out of here, whoever that was knows us, and they know we were here.
Bluehorse wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:53 am I cannot help but picture it something like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AMDiTkdaqY&t=540s
Burt is the ideal, what more could a man want than a bunker full of guns and 1990 Reba?

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#489 Post by Scott308 »

Lionel "Freight Train" Williams

Lionel will gently pick up the unconscious Elizabeth, carrying her downstairs to a more suitable location before laying her down.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#490 Post by Rex »

Mac

Mac grunts through the pain, focuses all he attention on the goal and keeps moving towards the spot in the wall.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#492 Post by Rex »

Mac

Bust into wall.

Muscle/Break Things [7d6]=24 +3BP [10d6]=30 Ghost [1d6]=2
messed the macro up, maybe just use the 10d6 roll, I think that's his break things+BP.If not let me know and I can re-roll

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#493 Post by Bluehorse »

Rex wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:15 am Mac

Bust into wall.

Muscle/Break Things [7d6]=24 +3BP [10d6]=30 Ghost [1d6]=2
messed the macro up, maybe just use the 10d6 roll, I think that's his break things+BP.If not let me know and I can re-roll
You did more than enough damage without the extra dice so I will just let you have it for the 3bps. No worries.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#494 Post by Rex »

Sounds good.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#495 Post by Urson »

Joker
Joker takes the electronics from Julia and pockets them. He follows her into the house, lugging first-aid supplies and looking around for his friends.

He glances back at what's left of Ecto-1. I am in so much trouble....
FA FO

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#496 Post by Bluehorse »

The Haunting of 601 North E Street
The Warlock's Presence.
September 10, 2018, 2:20 pm
Warming up. Thunder and wind calming outside.

Joker's Field Device Timer:  17/18
Joker laments the conversations coming about the state of the Ecto as well as the car he sideswiped.

Julia seems about to say something when they enter the door just in time to see Lionel carrying Elizabeth down the stairs. The dark-haired witch is still unconscious and there are five of her coven following behind.

Julia: First Aid
Brains v10 [3d6]=6 G: [1d6]=5

Julia thinks quick and goes for the First Aid Kit that Joker is holding. I know what to do... he rummages briefly and finds some smelling salts which she opens and waves under Elizabeth's nose. A second and a half later she jerks awake and Julia moves back wide-eyed. Oh, God... she looks at Elizabeth's hands but her eyes are also bloodshot.

Upstairs

Mac like the others pulls himself to his feet and feels like he has been hit by a truck, but he still has some juice in him as he moves over to the wall the Blue Phantasm had seemed to be protecting. Now that the sun is coming out of the clouds outside, the puttied over the place in the wall is obvious despite the matching paint job. Seems like it was done some time ago. Regardless, the big man easily puts a fist through the drywall which crumbles into the wall as well as out on the floor as he opens it up.

That is when the PKE in Jason's hand chirps and catches a reading. There is certainly something in there now that whatever was keeping it hidden is broken. It is a fairly strong reading too, indicating that it was in fact cloaked from detection in some way until Mac opened the wall.

The pair along with Roy and the witches can see something mildly disturbing hanging in place from a horizontal stud in the wall.
Phyllactory
Jessica points. That's it! We have to ground it now before the Warlock can come back with it!

Kelly nods and looks at Roy: We can neutralize it now, and take it back with us so he cannot use it against anyone.

Both groups can hear as sirens near and quickly arrive. Outside there are now Fire, EMS, and FSPD showing up. Apparently, they made enough noise and there is enough damage it caught someone's attention and the authorities are showing up.

The witches upstairs look at each other and then the Ghostbusters and Phyllactory. Kelly is the first to speak up. We don't have much time. We need to get that out now before the police see it and stash it away in a little baggy labeled Exhibit A.

Back Downstairs

Those in the Front Room of the house with the door still open can see that emergency crews are starting to spill out of their vehicles and are readying to enter the house. Also, the News crews have started arriving: Jamie with Channel 4 is here and rushing already, shouting at her camera man before she is intercepted by a police officer... It's Sgt. Hightail, and the other that pulls up right after from the other direction in less hurried speed is the van for Channel 26 who you have not officially met yet. Things are getting chaotic outside in a hurry!

Elizabeth is clearly exhausted but irritable as ever despite her bite no longer having the energy behind it to sting. Put me down...

Jamie is arguing with Hightail when she spots Lionel & Joker inside the door from her spot outside in the yard.

Inventory:   
Ecto: 1 PKE Extention for Phones, PKE Extention, Ecto Goggles - M, 1 Slime Blower, 1 Sniffer
======================================================================
Jason: Phone, Proton Pack
Lionel: Phone, Proton Pack
Roy: Phone, Proton Pack, Trap, Ecto Goggles - M
Joker: Ecto Keys, Phone, Traps x3 - no charge. Will need 2 full rounds in the Containment unit to charge each before meeting minimum requirements.
Mac: Phone, Proton Pack, Ecto Goggle - A.
Witches: Mary Duncan's Book of Shadows, Hex Bag
Joker's Field Generator: Sandwichboarded to the Livingroom Floor. [Proton Pack, PKE - A, 2 Traps cobbled together for a Field Generating Device]

Phylactery?
Brownie Point Spending:
Mac: -3 to Rolls.

Actions?
Brownie Point Pool:
Dr. Jason O'Roarke: 44/214 @@
Lionel 'Freight Train' Williams: 110/188 @
Roy O'Dowd: 60/157 @@
Dzjokar "Joker" Jelal: 193/260
David "Mac" McAuslan: 47/191

Jessica: 11/75
Kelly: 13/75
Elizabeth: 34/75

@ = One free re-roll without ghost die.  Merry Christmas 2019 & 2020!

GreyWolfVT

#497 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Roy looks back at Kelly and returns the nod "Alright how can I help?"

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#498 Post by Urson »

Joker
Joker looks and feels like he's been dragged through a knothole. He half-stumbles back to Ecto to collect the rest of the first-aid supplies.

**TEXT to the team**What gear do we need up there?
FA FO

Taaz
Ranger
Ranger

#499 Post by Taaz »

Jason is brought back to reality by the chirp of the PKE, and brings the meter up, squinting at the screen. Uhh....Lord talking is a bad idea... Uh theres def something in that wall brother, he says to Mac and starts walking to the wall, "No wincing or bellyaching in front of civilians,"I just see a broken image, didnt know if that was just me. Looking inside the wall, I would suggest we dont touch anything this time. and he takes his phones flashlight and starts looking for any wards or traps he might recognize.

Return to “Mission Archive”