[000] Meeting at the inn and rumor mill

Marullus
ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

[000] Meeting at the inn and rumor mill

#1 Post by ffilz »

Your characters will meet at an inn a days travel from Takayama. Sumi is making do there by frequenting the gambling tables in the back room which her small Yakuza outfit operates. There is no single Yakuza group that dominates Hida province unlike some of the more settled provinces. This is in part due to the province magistrate (help me get this terminology right... we don't have daimyo per se in the Heian time). Souta has been sent by his leige to learn what he can of what is going on in the province. The two ronin are seeking their fortune. I'm guessing Sumi would like to find more adventure than being a gambler at a way station inn on the minor road from Toyama to Takayama even though the Yakuza there has been good to her.

I will message each player with some rumors.
Last edited by ffilz on Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: [000] Meeting at the inn and rumor mill

#2 Post by ffilz »

Go ahead and start some introductions. Please make sure to work the Yakuza in. The ronin should easily hook up with Amana Souta.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by jemmus »

Oh yeah, it's on! :D GM, can I ask what season it is?
PCs

Dust to Dust (Stars Without Number) - Circuit Counsel Taavi Perttu
Big Shiny Island (AD&D 1E) - Theo, low charisma ranger
Samurai Adventures (Cold Iron) - Kiyoshi, ronin bushi
WW2 Supers d6 - Luther "Luke" Goodfox

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#4 Post by ffilz »

jemmus wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:44 am Oh yeah, it's on! :D GM, can I ask what season it is?
I’ll figure that out and edit the thread title.

jmacatty
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#5 Post by jmacatty »

Ha will have a meal, and listen for any information regarding teachers of the art of the blade, and news of a No-Dachi with a dragon inscribed on the blade. He is willing to offer some rumors acquired on his travels in exchange.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by jemmus »

Sixteen-year-old ronin Kamine [kah mee neh] no Toshizo entered the inn, carrying two cedar boxes hanging from cloth bands over his shoulder and a furoshiki bag. He removed his straw sandals in the foyer, and stepped up onto floor’s straw mats. A man was seated on the floor at one of the low tables. Toshizo saw two swords at his belt, so he inclined his head to the man in respectful greeting. From the man's hairstyle and clothing, he guessed he was ronin and not samurai. There were also a man and a girl seated at another table. The man’s forearm extending from his sleeve was covered with intricate green and red tattoos. Yakuza. An old woman saw him, glanced at the swords at his waist, and hurried over and bowed. “Welcome!”

“Good day,” Toshizo said. “I need a room and a meal, please.” The old woman said, “A large room and a fine meal for the young sir. Today we have delicious roasted trout fresh from the brook. The price is five silver.” Toshizo was caught by surprise and his eyebrows rose and his lips momentarily made a circle, until he recovered his composure. Samurai prices! And he hadn’t wanted to splurge on fish, he just wanted rice, miso soup, and maybe some pickled vegetables. But he couldn’t decline and appear cheap before the dining ronin. “Yes, good.” The woman bowed and called out “Taro! Take the young sir’s things to room 3!” A boy hurried from the kitchen and took Toshizo’s crates and furoshiki.

“Inn mistress-san, I also need a stable for my horse.” “Please talk to those guests about that,” the woman said, and nodded to the girl and the man. Toshizo crossed the room to them and bowed. "Good day. I was told you can arrange a stable and feed for a horse."
Some tl;dr, no significant content, just some RP for flavor
Kamine no Toshizo led his horse along the narrow sun-and-shade dappled road between the maples. The horse was laden with a saddle, his armor and helmet in thin cedarwood cases hanging from each side, and his furoshiki bundle. Emerging from the trees, he saw a large village not so far off. Flooded green rice fields, separated by an irregularly grid of raised, grassy berms with footpaths, lay before it. In the distance a couple of peasant farmers in loincloths, loose cotton shirts, and wide conical hats stood at the intersection of two berms, leaning on tools and talking. The road before him descended from the woods, and then ran along the top of an especially high and wide berm.

Toshizo said, “It will be heavy, Jiro, but you have to carry me too now.” The horse snorted, shook its head, and looked back at Toshizo. “Hey! Jiro! You listen to me! A horse has to work every day to eat, the same as a human! You had better be ready to do horse work. You’ll have to be a warhorse before it’s all over, I would think. If I don’t become poor and have to sell you first.”

The boy mounted into the saddle, straightened his plain kimono, ran his hands over his long tied-back hair, tightened his kimono’s cotton sash, and adjusted the seating of his katana and wakizashi. Eyes forward and back and head perfectly straight, as if a samurai and not a ronin, and as if an experienced warrior and not a kid, he shook the reins and set off down the road for the town.
Last edited by jemmus on Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PCs

Faanku
Ranger
Ranger

#7 Post by Faanku »

Noticing the waveman's gaze, the young girl with sat with the tattooed man begins watching the ronin intently. It was not unusual for a member of the buke to frequent the Three Leaves Inn, but there was something about this one that caught her attention. At his approach, she speaks something in a low voice using the enigmatic dialect of the yakuza, then stands to bow deeply. "That can most certainly be arranged, o-samurai-sama." As she says this, two young men rise from a nearby table and move to the inn's entrance, a confident swagger about them. Before Kamine can comment, the girl places a soft hand on his arm and ushers him to an empty table. "My name is Sumi, my lord. It would be an honour to share a drink with you, and perhaps a story or two if such things interest you."

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by jemmus »

Toshizo hesitates a little. He's wary of strangers, but also happy to see a friendly face while alone on the road. He says, "Pleased to meet you, Sumi-san. I'd be happy to hear some stories. By the way... I'm not samurai. My family are ronin." He says that with a look and in such a way as to convey to Sumi that his family is of higher rank within that humble caste. Not to be haughty, but to be polite and let her know what his social position is, to avoid any misunderstandings going forward. He goes with her to the table, hoping that she proposes having tea, and not expensive sake or shochu. Then he has a clever idea. "Excuse me, inn mistress! Tea, please," gesturing to Sumi and himself. Young Toshizo is rather proud of his handling of a possibly awkward social situation.
PCs

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#9 Post by ffilz »

Are you waiting for me? Sorry, I've got distracted by things...

Faanku
Ranger
Ranger

#10 Post by Faanku »

I was waiting on the other players showing up.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by jemmus »

Yes, I was waiting for other players too.
PCs

jmacatty
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#12 Post by jmacatty »

I'm kind of waiting to see how things develop. Ha is a pretty quiet guy.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by jemmus »

Young Toshizo sees men move toward the door. Apparently it's the yakuza who stable and feed horses in this town. Good enough. Back in Shinano, it was the yakuza who ran the town drinking and gambling spots and about half of the hot spring inns. They rely on repeat commerce, so they generally treat people honestly. But if a person is too foolish, he may be taken advantage of....
Last edited by jemmus on Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PCs

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by jemmus »

Still, Toshizo worries about his horse. Sumi-san hasn't said a thing or any stories.... The fellow wearing the dai-sho either...
PCs

Faanku
Ranger
Ranger

#15 Post by Faanku »

"I meant no offence, Ronin-sama." The merchant apologizes, hands held before her placatingly. "I have seen first hand how some samurai react to perceived slights upon their honour, and erred on the side of caution upon noticing your daishou. I pray your forgiveness."

Samwell Turleton
Ranger
Ranger

#16 Post by Samwell Turleton »

Amano Souta sits kneeling on a mat in the Three Leaves Inn. A slate, slightly rounded, black stone is rolled thoughtfully between his forefinger and thumb. He observes the board in front of him and recognizes the lower corner has bad aji for his pieces. How could he have not seen the course of moves that would have led to that precarious positioning?

The steam rises from a small porcelain cup. The pale green liquid has a delicious sweet herbal scent to it. Amano delicately grabs the cup with both hands and takes a sip of the warming liquid. Amano looks to his side out to a small garden visible through some parted wooden screens. He thinks about an overheard story from a tea merchant on the road. Perhaps this is why he is faring so poorly in this game.

click

A white stone is placed and Amano realizes he is beginning to be in a weakened position now in this portion of the board. He reaches into his wooden bowl and draws another black stone between his fingers. He looks around and sees there is a lot of activity in the inn today.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by jemmus »

Toshizo is pleased that Sumi has such good manners. He hadn't known what to expect from a yakuza member. There's no need to worry, I'm not so easily offended. He couldn't bring himself to address her as just "Sumi," which seemed rude. She's a polite person and she's also around the same age he is, after all. He considered calling her "Younger Sister" instead, but decided against it. So he avoided addressing her by any name or station at all. Perhaps when they know each other better. I've come from Shinano. To be honest, I'm looking for work. I thought I would look in Takayama. But if you know of anyone nearby who might need a guard or watchman, I would very much appreciate learning the information.

He glanced at the young man playing Go. About my age too. Dai-sho with good fittings and nice clothing. Almost certainly samurai. He would like to get up the nerve to introduce himself and mention that his is looking for work. If at all possible, he wants avoid having to sell the horse his parents worked so hard for to give him. At owning a horse may improve his employability too. If the samurai notices him and appears open to be approached, he will force himself to do that, at the risk of being ill-treated and shamed. The bushi way is courage in everything everyday, and not just in battle.
PCs

Faanku
Ranger
Ranger

#18 Post by Faanku »

Happy that Toshizo isn't overly concerned with standing on ceremony, Sumi nods along as the ronin recounts his journey here, an affable smile never leaving her face. At the mention of work, she sighs in thought. "Well, this isn't much more than a rumour, ronin-sama, but there are whispers that a camp has formed in the foothills of Hidasanmyaku, apparently hidden from the eyes of the Lords. They say men have gathered there to train for war, though under whose banner they fight is unknown. I would not dare to investigate such claims myself, but one skilled in the blade may perhaps find gainful employment if there turns out to be truth to the tale." She shrugs her small shoulders. "I am merely passing along hearsay, of course."

Following the ronin's gaze, Sumi sips her tea and seems happy to let the conversation end there should Toshizo make to leave. "Ah, it occurs that I did not receive your name, ronin-sama."

Samwell Turleton
Ranger
Ranger

#19 Post by Samwell Turleton »

Playing with a stone in my hand outside of my turn is a bad habit I must break. Forgive me. It leads to impulsive play, Amano Souta says to his opponent.

You have won.

Amano looks to the garden and breathes deeply of the steam from his tea. Then he turns his gaze back to the other patrons in the inn. He catches the eye of a young man his age and offers a polite nod.

jmacatty
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#20 Post by jmacatty »

Ha looks at the Samurai giving him a nod and asks, "Would you do me the honor of sharing a cup of tea, young samurai?"

Return to “Marullus' Bushido (FGU)”