[000] Meeting at the inn and rumor mill

Marullus
jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: [000] Meeting at the inn and rumor mill

#21 Post by jemmus »

Toshizo is happy to hear Sumi's information about the martial training. Thinks, But it's going on in secret, so that's worrisome. A rebellion of a few against many, soon to be overwhelmed and everyone killed? But he knows any violent conflict is an opportunity for a ronin. One side or the other, they will want people who have arms and bugei training. But... which side to join? Nothing to do but to wait and see.

Ah, excuse me… Sumi. I'm Kamine no Toshizo. Please call me Toshizo. Thank you very much for the information, it's very valuable to me. He hesitates for a second, thinking. Then eye signals Sumi that he's going to do something secretive, and she has to go along with it. (Leans forward, and in a low voice, quickly says), Here's something I heard from a traveler. It might be valuable to you and your group, I don't know. There's a contract. The lord governor of the province. He makes a slight chopping motion with his hand to his neck. Then leans back again, tries to look casual, and puts his hands together, mostly under the table. The fingers are intertwined, forefingers raised and touching. Indicating, “ninja.”

Toshizo overhears the ronin's invitation to the young samurai. Perhaps my chance to converse with these buke as well.

People think that ninja form complicated hand postures as a part of ninjutsu. Some think they do them to focus ki, others that they're to conjure evil and unnatural powers. No one knows for sure which.
PCs

Dust to Dust (Stars Without Number) - Circuit Counsel Taavi Perttu
Big Shiny Island (AD&D 1E) - Theo, low charisma ranger
Samurai Adventures (Cold Iron) - Kiyoshi, ronin bushi
WW2 Supers d6 - Luther "Luke" Goodfox

Samwell Turleton
Ranger
Ranger

#22 Post by Samwell Turleton »

Amano requests the permission of his go opponent to invite the stranger to join. He receives a nod of agreement and invites Ha to the table with a gesture of his hand. We will need to get you a cup for your tea. Do you play?

jmacatty
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#23 Post by jmacatty »

Ha takes a seat and looks around for someone to bring him a cup. No, I admire those who play, but my time is dedicated to the blade.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by jemmus »

Toshizo says, Sumi, pardon me for a moment, it is important that I meet those guests there. He bucks up his courage and approaches Amano, Ha and the Go player. Says, in rather soldierly fashion, Excuse me, it is rude of me. But I would like to make the acquaintance of other bushi in this town. I am Kamine no Toshizo, from Shinano. I ask the favor of making your acquaintance. Bows crisply, trying make the bow indicate both his respect and also a salute to his fellow members of the same professional in-group.
PCs

jmacatty
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#25 Post by jmacatty »

Taking the proffered tea cup from the Innkeeper, Ha says Forgive my rudeness young sirs, I have never been a student of social niceties. It is my understanding that war is brewing in this province and I am looking to gain some experience with my swords. Would either of you be willing to share any information? I may have some small bits that would be useful.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by jemmus »

With the formalities dispensed with by the ronin Ha, Toshizo takes a seat on one of the thin pillows around the table. I'm looking for sword work as well. And it seems that there may be need for swords soon in Hida. (Lowers his voice). I have heard that the Silent Death ninja clan has been hired to kill the Lord Governor. The young lady there may have more local news. Nods to Sumi. Sumi, would you like to join us?
PCs

Faanku
Ranger
Ranger

#27 Post by Faanku »

The yakuza spots Toshizo's invitation, her attention on the three ronin already. She gladly accepts and takes a seat around the table, politely introducing herself and giving her name to the two she has not met yet.
"To what do I owe this honour?

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by jemmus »

Toshizo wouldn't ordinarily invite a yakuza to a table with a samurai and another ronin. Actually he'd never met a yakuza before, or invited anyone at all to a table. But the samurai seems to have a kind of a thoughtful, contemplative demeanor. Not like haughty and disdainful faces of many samurai. So he thought the samurai might not mind much. And the ronin seems very practical and down to earth. Toshizo guesses that he's one of the ronin who goes through the motions of conforming to social rank things, but in reality ranks considers it all nonsense. The real ranking is based on who loses and who survives. He doubts whether the unnamed ronin cares whether Sumi is yakuza, a farmer, or a court noble.

But in any event, now is not the time for etiquette niceties. It seems sure that disorder and violence are coming to Hida. Maybe related to the court power intrigue that made his own family ronin? He remembers his father calmly saying to him, "When there is sudden disorder, the weak lose and become the victims of the strong. People become like animals, like angry monkeys fighting and stealing among themselves. If must see disorder before it comes, and be prepared." He then pinched little Toshizo's earlobe, hard. "Ow!" He looked to his always kind father's eyes, questioning. "I did that so you will never forget those words. Always watch and listen, so you know when you must prepare," he said.

Since Toshizo did the inviting, it is his obligation to speak. Um... everyone, there are rumors that violence is coming to this province. I thought it would be good if everyone shared the news they have heard. So everyone can prepare.
PCs

jmacatty
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#29 Post by jmacatty »

In his typically verbose style, Ha remarks I understand these mountains are infested with Bakemono.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by jemmus »

Toshizo furrows his brow. Bakemono.... I would like to see a mountain bakemono. And maybe test my skill against it, if it's not to strong! To slay a bakemono, how glorious would that be! But going to the secret martial training camp is more practical. Maybe meals for a few days at least, if they'll take me in. Thank you for the information, sir. That is very interesting. Early tomorrow morning I intend to go either to a [whispers, glancing to Sumi] secret bugei training camp in the forest, or into the mountains looking for bakemono. Whichever way, I'd like to invite you, should we all go along?
Last edited by jemmus on Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PCs

jmacatty
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#31 Post by jmacatty »

Ha: I am always ready to attend blade training.]

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by jemmus »

Toshizo says, Then I will be here before dawn and ready to travel at sunrise, bushi-san. Unless that's too late? He unconsciously ducks his head and runs his hand along the back of his head and neck, gently darts his hand over to the hilt of his katana and takes a look at it. Yes, now is the chance!
Last edited by jemmus on Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PCs

jmacatty
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#33 Post by jmacatty »

Ha sips the last of his tea and nods to the others, I will be ready at dawn.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#34 Post by ffilz »

New thread started.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#35 Post by jemmus »

Young Toshizo wanted to get out of the big city as soon as possible. The very ronin needed money, and he needed it quick. He had a horse, Jiro, gifted to him by his hard-working dad and mom. Selling Jiro would be very hard. We're ready to go.

"Osamu, please guide us along the side of the mountain ridge to the camp of the secret bushi. Please bypass the castle of the lord of many oni. We'll walk farther. Hey, Ha-san and Sumi?"
PCs

Return to “Marullus' Bushido (FGU)”