(012) Extolay [1711 Spinward Marches]

Eris
Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: (012) Extolay [1711 Spinward Marches]

#61 Post by Eris »

Tiglath wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:55 pm Sigrun glares at the notice "I hope to die laughing, with my axe in my hand sitting on a big pile of dead Imp..."

Looking about warily she breaks off "I'll tell you about it later, Kapiten - but I'm not abandoning my hope. Ridiculous Imperial sign..."
Still grumbling, Sigrun follows Pedro through the less impressive entrance to the Scouts Headquarters.

Inside the pair look around. They enter a room with a counter at the back with an open passage behind the counter and a door to the left. The room is more brightly lighted than you'd expect outside the doors of darkened glass. On the walls you see several prints of planetary scenes, each with smiling Scouts wearing garish short sleeved shirts and most dressed in kaki shorts. The scouts are shaking hands, tipping glasses, or helping out what appear to be locals. The locals appear to range from very low tech levels to high ones. Sigrun recognizes a picture that had to have been taken on Galatine (the Imperials call it Beater) where a scout is standing next to one of the native aliens...a Coralian... a barrel shaped tripod with long green tendrils rising from the top of it's cylindrical ?head? where you can see two of it's three eyes and two of its three limber arms. One arm is wrapped around the Imperial Scout and the other is raised with one of its 3 fingers pointing at the camera.

Behind the counter perched on a chair or stool sits the Scout from that picture, except about 20 years older.

"Greetings, Sophs!" the male scout says cheerfully, "First visitors I've had in a 10 day of seventh days!"

"My name's Dave, and what can the ISS do for you?"

OOC: Bruce seemed to be busy with work, so we'll keep this as short if we need to. I want to give y'all a couple of "rumors" and Dave is the vehicle and here is the place unless this scene gets "traction." :)
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#62 Post by Tiglath »

Sigrun warms to the man's cheery attitude and even manages a smile. She says "Hei. We're seek information on trading opportunities on this planet and don't want the "Ling Standard" Line. We thought you might be able to help?"

Sigrun stops - that was enough talking. She was working on her "Imperial small talk" with John Lee and he had focussed on keeping it "small" and very specifically not mentioning the war. She was reasonably sure she had avoided that last pitfall and had also avoided launching into an anti LSP tirade. Then she chides herself "Heimsk víking!" * Talk about the weather!!!

SIgrun blurts "The climate seems agreeable here, no?"

(OOC: * Old Norse trans service: Stupid Viking!)
Player: Jonathan/Tiglath
Sigrun Volsung, 9B7886, Lt Commander, 3 terms, age 31
Gun Cbt 3 (Rifle 2, Pistol 1), Melee Cbt 1 (Axe), Pilot 1,
Gunnery 1, Vacc Suit 1, Zero G 1, Streetwise 1, Recon 1,
Electronics 0, Grav Vehicle 0
Enemy: Imperial Navy (Lunion) Ine Givar(?)

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#63 Post by Eris »

Tiglath wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:11 pm Sigrun warms to the man's cheery attitude and even manages a smile. She says "Hei. We're seek information on trading opportunities on this planet and don't want the "Ling Standard" Line. We thought you might be able to help?"

Sigrun stops - that was enough talking. She was working on her "Imperial small talk" with John Lee and he had focussed on keeping it "small" and very specifically not mentioning the war. She was reasonably sure she had avoided that last pitfall and had also avoided launching into an anti LSP tirade. Then she chides herself "Heimsk víking!" * Talk about the weather!!!

SIgrun blurts "The climate seems agreeable here, no?"

(OOC: * Old Norse trans service: Stupid Viking!)
Dave chuckles again and holds out his hand to shake with Sigrun and then Pedro.

"Yeah, weather here is agreeable." Dave agrees with Sigrun, "Air's a little thin for my taste, but the locals seem to like it well enough. Other sorts of climate, maybe, not so much."

"As for the economic climate...good luck doing any trade that isn't through LSP."
Dave continues folding his hands on the counter in front of him, "They have it sewed up with the local bureaucracy and the Imperial presence here is on LSP's side, too. I won't say any money changed hands, but won't say it didn't either. They official line is that having LSP control virtually every transaction coming in or going out maximizes economic efficiency."

"I'll admit there's an active minority that is questioning that point of view, among others...um, aggressively, but Extolay's government is handling the opposition just as aggressively."
Dave shrugs his shoulders, "Wouldn't be prudent to insert noses into their local politics. Might get 'em chopped off by either side and you couldn't depend on the IN bailing you out if you got into trouble down there."
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#64 Post by Tiglath »

Sigrun summarises "So we take our trade elsewhere or, no matter how morally uplifting, risk baiting the Corporation in their own lair?"

She narrows her blue eyes (she's wearing contacts to visit the IN/ISS!) while pondering the staggering audacity such a move would require ... and the resultant boost to the reputation of any raider who pulled it off. Then she snaps out of her reverie and adds "And, as a bonus, we could be confident in the knowledge that if it all goes wrong the Imperial Navy, hopefully those not on the take, may or may not come to our rescue?" Feeling a rant coming on she keeps it short with "Thank you for your help".

Sigrun bundles Pedro back to the ship and declares herself more than ready to move on. She broods "This is what they do! Everyone should visit this grey husk of a lifeless, soulless world to see it!" Then she brightens "I liked Dave the Scout! This place should have its title amended "Extolay; mostly like Niflheim - but has Dave on it".

(OOC: This place surely has frying pan, fire and bonus lava pit written all over it? Plus if we do achieve a "Code Brown" here then as a minimum we're caught sabotaging our current employer... :o

Surely just time to move on? ;) :) )

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#65 Post by Eris »

I'd like a decision from the group (Pedro + Carlos at least) on the following:

1. sell prawns here, for 132Kcr, keep air/rafts for later.
2. buy Pharma (3 tons @ 90K = 270K) on spec.
3. take all 55 tons of freight @ 1K/ton, payment due on delivery.
4. fill the low berths for 10,000 due prior to lift off.

If I get that decision, I'll fill in the Trading/Diary entry and you can finish up here on Extolay quickly with only Sigrun and Pedro's meetings with the ISS to fish for info/rumors.

OOC2: Anyone? JR, Terry, Tiglath, Bruce, Keven want to say 'yah or nay' on points 1,2,3,4?
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#66 Post by joertexas »

Eris wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:44 pm I'd like a decision from the group (Pedro + Carlos at least) on the following:

1. sell prawns here, for 132Kcr, keep air/rafts for later.
2. buy Pharma (3 tons @ 90K = 270K) on spec.
3. take all 55 tons of freight @ 1K/ton, payment due on delivery.
4. fill the low berths for 10,000 due prior to lift off.

If I get that decision, I'll fill in the Trading/Diary entry and you can finish up here on Extolay quickly with only Sigrun and Pedro's meetings with the ISS to fish for info/rumors.

OOC2: Anyone? JR, Terry, Tiglath, Bruce, Keven want to say 'yah or nay' on points 1,2,3,4?
"Yes" to all four for Zaki.
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97
Slug Rifle- 3, Medicine-2, Tactics-2, Zero-G-2, Streetwise- 2

In the Marches
Zaki Shursila, 486B97, Army, Major, 3 terms, 31
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#67 Post by Tiglath »

Seconded by Sigrun!

Keven
Ranger
Ranger

#68 Post by Keven »

Of COURSE Carlos agrees to all that. Hell, he's the guy who WANTED to do it.

BTW, Eris, does his JOT skill come in when trying to schmooze the locals into doing it his way? :D
Candles Against The Night:
Game Janitor, ZZZZZZ, Everything, 10 Terms
JOT-90, Admin-90, Fast Talk-90
---------------------------
In The Marches:
Carlos Matsumi, 79AAA7, Scouts, 33, 3.5 terms,
Gunnery-1, JOAT-1, Mechanical-1, Navigation-3, Pilot-1, Slug Pistol-1, Vacc Suit-2. Blade.

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#69 Post by Eris »

Keven wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:43 pm Of COURSE Carlos agrees to all that. Hell, he's the guy who WANTED to do it.

BTW, Eris, does his JOT skill come in when trying to schmooze the locals into doing it his way? :D
--Jack of All Trades--
JOAT can be applied to reduce any -DM for a skill the PC doesn't have. Normally, there is a, more or less, -3DM to using skills a PC doesn't have, JOAT can reduce that negative on a point for point basis to zero, but not beyond that. Example: Jack has JOAT-2 and has no skill piloting a starship. He can reduce the -3DM to a -1 when he attempts to take over landing the ship in an emergency.

So yes! I'm already using it for Carlos' missing Broker skill. :)
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#70 Post by Eris »

Sigrun gets a message from Dave, the Old Scout they met earlier.

"Hey if you folks are interested how about us all getting together at Webster's Grill this evening at 2200. No special reason, just a chin way and a few cold brewkies."

Webster's Grill is level 3, sector 6 on the map. It's well away from both the Navy and LSP areas where locals who work on the Up port live and hang out.

You've all finished your work aboard the Connie. Pedro has scheduled a departure time for late tomorrow afternoon and Connie is loaded with the new cargo and the low passengers are booked for loading tomorrow morning. Emily has the ship's fuel loaded and life support modules are restocked. Everyone is free for a "night on the town!"
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#71 Post by Tiglath »

Sigrun confirms the crew's attendance and shares news of the invitation with her comrades.

She cheerfully adds "You will meet Old Dave the Scout who is nice and there will be drinks and going about unarmed. It will be like a sauna with more ale ... but less steam and exhibitionism!"

Keven
Ranger
Ranger

#72 Post by Keven »

Tiglath wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:39 pm Sigrun confirms the crew's attendance and shares news of the invitation with her comrades.

She cheerfully adds "You will meet Old Dave the Scout who is nice and there will be drinks and going about unarmed. It will be like a sauna with more ale ... but less steam and exhibitionism!"
Carlos attends in one of his best Hawashirts with Zaki on his arm.
Candles Against The Night:
Game Janitor, ZZZZZZ, Everything, 10 Terms
JOT-90, Admin-90, Fast Talk-90
---------------------------
In The Marches:
Carlos Matsumi, 79AAA7, Scouts, 33, 3.5 terms,
Gunnery-1, JOAT-1, Mechanical-1, Navigation-3, Pilot-1, Slug Pistol-1, Vacc Suit-2. Blade.

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#73 Post by Eris »

is everyone going?
John walks into the stateroom he shares with Sigrun carrying a package under his arm wrapped in brown paper and lays it on the desktop.

Afternoon. he says pleasantly, Got you a present, well one for you and one for me. You want to do the honors?
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#74 Post by Tiglath »

Sigrun beams with excitement and reaches to the small of her back to draw her knife so she can neatly slice the parcel open. She asks "Is it terrible shirts? I don't know if I'm qualified to wear one".

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#75 Post by Eris »

Tiglath wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:19 am Sigrun beams with excitement and reaches to the small of her back to draw her knife so she can neatly slice the parcel open. She asks "Is it terrible shirts? I don't know if I'm qualified to wear one".
"No..." John Lee drawls with a grin on his face, "It's not clothing, but it is protective gear, and don't ask where I got these."

The paper and string give way to reveal a plain unsealed box. Pulling a flap back, Sigrun sees two more boxes that fill the interior. Something is written on them in what Sigrun is able to recognize as Zhodani. She can puzzle out FPD 20-B and she knows that is the designation for the new Zhodani laser pistol!

These pistols are heavier than a standard auto pistol, but no larger. Each takes a rechargeable magazine that can fire 20 times. Each box contains a pistol, two magazines and a charger that accepts a standard Zhodani plug. You'll need to get an adapter for the Imperial plugs.

Grinning John Lee pulls a pair of adapters out of his coat pocket, "What do you think?"

Looking at the pistol you would be hard pressed to tell it wasn't just a normal slug thrower. You shouldn't have any trouble fitting the weapon into a standard holster or getting it past inspection points as a normal auto pistol....which means you can carry it aboard any Imperial Starport.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#76 Post by Tiglath »

Sigrun makes an enthusiastic yelp of delighted approval "Já!" and immediately sets to loading the magazine so she can try the pistol for both feel and weight. She gives John Lee a smile he recognises "Ýmirs frosteistna - you are a truly excellent lover! I expected a terrible shirt and yet you so cleverly bought me an illegal, covert Zhodani laser weapon. I would have worn the shirt... but just just in case you think me ungrateful..." She safes the weapon and removes the mag before embracing him "Þakka fyrir, John Lee".

Sigrun proceeds to de-bunk the myth that the way to a girl's heart is through chocolates and flowers when highly illegal, dark tech energy weapons just gets you there every time! :roll: Actually, John Lee is very likely to get "de-bunked" in the process... :o ;)

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#77 Post by Eris »

Tiglath wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:16 pm Sigrun makes an enthusiastic yelp of delighted approval "Já!" and immediately sets to loading the magazine so she can try the pistol for both feel and weight. She gives John Lee a smile he recognises "Ýmirs frosteistna - you are a truly excellent lover! I expected a terrible shirt and yet you so cleverly bought me an illegal, covert Zhodani laser weapon. I would have worn the shirt... but just just in case you think me ungrateful..." She safes the weapon and removes the mag before embracing him "Þakka fyrir, John Lee".

Sigrun proceeds to de-bunk the myth that the way to a girl's heart is through chocolates and flowers when highly illegal, dark tech energy weapons just gets you there every time! :roll: Actually, John Lee is very likely to get "de-bunked" in the process... :o ;)
Sigrun draws an enthusiastic hug from John Lee and he whispers in her ear grinning, "Now, you'll have to surprise me with an equally impressive gift one of these days."
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#78 Post by joertexas »

Keven wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:41 pm Carlos attends in one of his best Hawashirts with Zaki on his arm.
Zaki is quite pleased to accompany him - and her limp is much subtler now.
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97
Slug Rifle- 3, Medicine-2, Tactics-2, Zero-G-2, Streetwise- 2

In the Marches
Zaki Shursila, 486B97, Army, Major, 3 terms, 31
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.

bruce.desertrat
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#79 Post by bruce.desertrat »

Sorry for the ghosting....yes I was stupid busy, but also The Unseen Servant decided to un-see me again and did it's random "I won't tell you about new posts anymore" thing :evil: and being stupid busy, forgot to check.

Quick catchup: Pedro is good with the commerce plan. Looking forward to hanging out with Dave, and HOPEfully being able to participate regularly.

Pedro is wearing his best coveralls, the bright green ones with the orange pockets over his skinsuit. He joins the rest of you going to the bar "I like doing business here in the highport...feels more like home.
Pedro "Wong Way" Wong, 98BA77,
Navy, Starman, 3 Terms, 31,
Electronics-1, Engineering-1, Gravitics-1, Grav
Vehicle-1, Pilot-2, Steward-1, Vacc-1, ZeroG-2. Benefit:
Blade.

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#80 Post by Tiglath »

Sigrun winces at Pedro's outfit "Kapiten, did you let Carlos choose the colour scheme for your outfit? We will be ideally turned out if we need to marshal any taxiing space craft this evening!"

Yay, great to have you back! :D

Return to “In the Marches (Traveller)”