Round 2: Debrief

Monsieur Rose
Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Round 2: Debrief

#1 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Thanks for playing pirates, in a fashion! I really enjoyed getting to toss people overboard. The only thing I didn't have a good opportunity to do was climb the riggings and elbow drop from above. It just seemed overkill at some point.

The rolls were what they were, and the other team just had some bad luck. Then it just seemed to steamroll.

Overall, what are your thoughts on the combat system? There were dozens of times that someone was stunned, but then any follow-up attacks in that round didn't land. So no KO's from that, which is a large part of the system.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Round 2: Debrief

#2 Post by Zhym »

Monsieur Rose wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:46 pmThe only thing I didn't have a good opportunity to do was climb the riggings and elbow drop from above.
Well, now I'm sorry I didn't think of having Lug do that. That would have been great.

As for the mechanics—I didn't have as great a feel for them this time as last time, but they didn't seem as smooth. Part of that was the whole thing early on about not being able to fight back if your opponent gets a hit in; it seemed to go better after that.

So is 2e next?

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Rex »

Mechanics wise I think it was OK, maybe call it a draw between 1e and 1e UA.

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Monsieur Rose »

1e had a lot more setup work beforehand (that spreadsheet I had to set up). But after that, they were both similar on my side. Initiative, attack roll, then check for effects.

Overall, I felt that UA seemed more...impotent. It looks like I want more action and knockouts. More like old school Mike Tyson stuff, I guess.

If we have enough interest, 2e would be next. Thoughts?

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Rex »

I am up for 2e, never used it before.

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by max_vale »

I'm down for 2E (I'm a rare heretic that has it as my favorite edition....:) ).....I know there's at LEAST a 'flavor text' chart for stuff like "Rabbit punch", "Haymaker", etc.

So while I'm not sure the game effect will change much, at least the descriptions should be interesting....:)

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Rex »

I am very familiar with 2e, just never used the unarmed combat rules for some reason.

Return to “The Octagon (D&D)”