WW2 Supers d6: MISSION ONE: A Raiding We Will Go!

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: WW2 Supers d6: MISSION ONE: A Raiding We Will Go!

#61 Post by Monsieur Rose »

SSGT Acme

Having rushed around to find a solid wall, Marvin relaxes for a moment until he hears the machinery and feels the talent. "That can't be good." He makes eye contact with Roker and points at the trail. "Something's coming. Let's get in position to flank it."

He looks to find something in the tree line to cover themselves and provide a good location to ambush from.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#62 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Wade unsure of if this will work uses his sure willpower (WP point) to try and disarm the enemy using tactics taught during his basic training. yes using WP
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#63 Post by max_vale »

(OOC: So will power points are used to ensure a Power is Activated....you have the Shield Power active now....it won't work to disarm somebody, that would be a Brawling Action...or maybe you mean the Gravity Lift Power?)

GreyWolfVT

#64 Post by GreyWolfVT »

max_vale wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:26 pm (OOC: So will power points are used to ensure a Power is Activated....you have the Shield Power active now....it won't work to disarm somebody, that would be a Brawling Action...or maybe you mean the Gravity Lift Power?)
oops yeah I totally forgot about that.. Yes do that instead. :)
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#65 Post by max_vale »

Mutaritari Island; Approximately 5:20AM, 17 August, 1942

The fight on the tiny atoll of Mutaritari continued.....

Inside the barracks building, Rifleman Gurung took aim at the Japanese SNLF Talent who had a Nambu pistol in his hand and he stroked the trigger, only to watch in disbelief as at the EXACT same time CPL Wade MacGyver used his Gravity Lift talent to send the enemy Talent flying into the ceiling and then land in a heap on the floor a moment later. The Japanese Marine with the special armband displaying that he was part of Japan's Special Unit 781 of Talents assigned to the Military attempted to raise his pistol from his crumbled and dazed position, but Gurung's second shot from his SMLE rife ended that particular threat forever. Both men looked at each other for a moment and with relief they both lowered their weapons AND their Powers when a call from the smashed apart doorway by LTJG 'Rainsquall' Boyd got their attention. "C'mon boys, we've got a situation out back!", the young Naval officer called out as he moved quickly towards the rear of the building after gesturing for them to follow him....

SGT Charlie 'Dutch' Van Horn, slowly came out of his funk after feeling like a major disappointment to everyone after failing to activate his power, and as he got to his feet, he could hear a couple of shots being fired from inside the building while at the same time the familiar sound/smell of MacGyver and Gurung's powers reached him. A call from 'Doc' Franklin to Boyd reached his ears; "Sir....Teddy's not doing too good, I better see what I can do.....I'll set him down in the MG nest, if that's okay with you?" Boyd was quick to respond back, "Good call sailor, do what you can and keep your heads down." "Aye-aye". Boyd then walked over to Dutch and said with concern in his eyes, "You doing okay there Marine?" Before Van Horn could answer, the sound of approaching footsteps from behind them reached his ear and they quickly whirled around with weapons at the ready, only to see Gunnery Sergeant Crowder leading the 5 survivors of his Weapons Squad towards them....

The grizzled 'Gunny' Crowder had blood flowing from a wound on his upper left arm, but after Boyd called attention to it, the leathery face Marine shrugged it off; "It's nothing El-tee....I've had worse cuts shaving. We took out the Pilots and mechanics barracks....damn Nips fought to the last man. Then we sunk the Floatplanes as ordered....I lost two men; another is wounded; Garcia", he says with a shrug over his shoulder pointing out a man basically being carried by another marine with a bloody chest wound. "Doc, got another one for you!", Boyd called out and pointed the Marine carrying Garcia to take him to the MG nest. Two of the other 3 'healthy' Marines were notably carrying a pair of large, .55 caliber Enfield Boys AT (anti-tank) Rifles. One of these Marines was a PFC with a name tag that read, Myers...

As this was going on, to the rear of the building, SSGT Acme and RM2c Roker had felt the presence of an unknown Talent, approaching their position past the wooded area that was split by a trail. Acme motioned Roker to one side of the trail to take cover in the scrub trees and brush, while he did the same on the other side. A long few moments later, the distinct sound of an engine hit their ears....then the sound of treads....and then through the trees, moving a bit awkwardly along the trail was the sight of a Japanese Type 95 Light Tank moving towards them. Acme knew from briefings that the Type 95 normally had a crew of 4 or 5 and was armed with a 37mm cannon in the main turret along with a 7.7mm Heavy Machinegun in a 'ball' mount on the front hull. While it was definitely a light weight in the Tank world, it was decently armored against small arms and grenades and would certainly pose a serious problem.....

Roker's eyes got huge when he saw the approaching Tank....with a bit of a start, he realized that the Japanese talent power he was feeling/smelling/hearing was emanating from INSIDE the vehicle.....

(Only the hatches aren't open like they are in the picture above)

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#66 Post by Rex »

Gurung

Gurung tops off the magazine of his Enfield and heads outside, "Where am I needed?"

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#67 Post by Urson »

Dutch
Yuss, I am fine. Chust a little dizzy for a second. Dutch's 'Pennsylvania Dutch' accent is showing a bit because he's starting to feel the stress of the situation.
I don't hear anyting from inside the barracks- but it sounds like dere's armor approaching. Gunny, can I borrow your boys with the Anti-Tank rifles? We may need dem.
IF Gunny agrees, Dutch leads the pair along the left side of the barracks, toward the sounds of the tank. They'll stop at the corner to assess.
FA FO

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#68 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Sergeant Can we get one side with our toothpicks and you provide a diversion on the other? Then we lure it down the track, get it looking in the wrong direction and "Pop"!

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#69 Post by Urson »

Dutch
Chust cause I'm a Marine, doesn't mean I'm gonna play bait for a tank. Dutch grins as he says this. Pick a goot firing point- maybe right there- and get ready.
Dutch pitches in with the gunners, helping them get set up.
FA FO

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#70 Post by Monsieur Rose »

SSGT Acme

Marvin gets behind cover just as the tank rumbles into sight. He hopes Roker managed to find a decent place but curses the lack of communication in such a dangerous situation.

His eyes turn back towards the building to see where everyone else is situated. His plan is to wait for the tank to draw even, then activate his power and infuse a rock. He will try to throw the rock bomb at the treads.

Marvin uses 3 WP to make his roll 3d+5 to reach a 10. I think.

GreyWolfVT

#71 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Wade wonders for a moment about this new situation "Say I wonder if i can use my lift power again and if it'd work on that tank..."

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#72 Post by BackworldTraveller »

I'd say "You're just leaving the boys to do a man's work"

I'll disappear into the cover, taking the other gunner with me - and the loader/lookout - and work my way along. I'll drop off the other gunner so he can get to the track and I'll keep going with the lookout until I hear the tank pass - and then head towards the vehicle from behind. My main concern is whether it's brought an infantry screen.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#73 Post by Zhym »

Roker senses the power inside the tank, but he can't figure out a way to communicate that information to his squadmates without making himself a big target. Oh, if only the Radioman 2nd Class had a...radio. Or if one of his powered mates were a telepath. That would work too.

Regretting his choice to separate from the SSGT, 'Mediocre Fred' sits low and holds tight.

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#74 Post by max_vale »

Mutaritari Island; Approximately 5:25AM, 17 August, 1942

As the sun continued its slow climb into the sky, the tiny atoll of Mutaritari was now fully bathed in light as the Americans and Japanese on the small rock in the middle of the Pacific continued their deadly contest.....

Gurung loaded his SMLE rifle as he moved back out of the smashed open front door, seeing Boyd, Gunny Crowder and a Marine from the Weapons Team whose name tag read 'Taylor' standing in a group as Dutch led a pair of other Marines carrying large Boys AT Rifles along the outside wall of the barracks towards the back. "Where am I needed", the Gurkha asked the Naval Officer and senior NCO and a moment later, the crack of a tank cannon hit everyone's ears as did the sound of it exploding on the back wall of the barracks and causing all present to duck down and turn to see about 100 yards away the sight of a Japanese Type 95 Light Tank coming through a path between two sections of jungle and scrub trees with a smoking main cannon....

Inside the Barracks Building, MacGyver heard the rolling treads and sound of a tank engine and started to wonder if his Gravity Lift Power would be strong enough to lift such a heavy vehicle. As he gathered up his Thompson to move in the wake of Gurung he noticed out of the corner of his eye a radio set that the Talent wielding the Nambu pistol had been near....strangely it didn't see to have any kind of Power Generator. Also, there was a metal box with a bunch of papers and books that had been burned or were still burning placed in it, with just a handful of papers next to the box that had not yet been incinerated. Wade was debating with himself whether or not he should pick those papers up before there was a sudden thunderclap of noise and force as the back of the building exploded from a tank shell crashing into it and the Marine Corporal was blown face-down to the floor from the shock wave. He was a bit stunned, but not hurt at all as he picked himself up and looked back to see the back wall now had a matching blown-open hole in it to go along with the smashed open front doorway from 'Rainsquall's' Lightning Blast......

PFC Roger Myers heard the tank treads and engine moving and in a matter of moments, he and PVT Johnny Evers; also armed with a heavy Boys .55 caliber AT-Rifle just like he was; were following one of the Supers, SGT 'Dutch' Van Horn and moving along the left wall of the barracks and as they got to the back of the building, they could see the path cut through two groves of scrub trees and bushes and the Japanese tank coming through it; perhaps 75 yards away. Myers saw two of the Supers; one on either side of the path/tank; ducking down and then a moment later, the tank fired its 37mm cannon and a sound like a freight train hit his ears as the shell impacted perhaps 15 yards to his right; in the middle of the back wall of the barracks building. The pressure wave from the explosion smashed him forward and down on the ground on his belly and while he was POSITIVE he had some bruises and scrapes; other than the ringing in his ears, he was okay. Looking to his immediate right he saw that the strapping big NCO was in the same boat as him, but poor Evers, who had been closest to the blast, was smashed to a bloody pulp from shrapnel. He was NOT going to be getting up ever again. Myers returned his attention to the tank and he saw one of the Supers doing SOMETHING with a rock as the young Marine managed to pick himself up and take up his heavy weapon in his arms again.....

Charlie 'Dutch' Van Horn found himself moving quickly along the wall of the barracks towards the back of the building and to where the tank sounds were coming from with two young Marines carrying big Anti-Tank Rifles when the tank revealed itself perhaps 75 yards away and opened fire. A second later, Dutch found himself unable to hear anything, but his vision was perfectly fine and to his left he saw one of the AT gunners.....Myers, was it?....picking himself and his weapon up while to his right he saw the poor bloody pulped body of the other Gunner; Evers; lying still and sightlessly looking to the heavens. Van Horn could feel/smell/hear the familiar feeling of Acme utilizing his Power ashe noticed that poor Evers' Enfield AT Rifle had been flown out of his grasp and had landed just a couple of feet away....

SSGT Marvin Acme moved to the right side of the trail and ducked down while ordering Roker to do the same thing, only on the left side of the trail and as the Marine NCO got to his position and ducked down, the Japanese Tank made its presence felt as it burst through the trail and opened fire on the barracks building. Acme could tell the Tank was crewed by a Talent utilizing his power....presumably something to do with operating the Tank all by his lonesome. Marvin took out one of the rocks he carried, tapped into his own power and infused the rock with his explosive energy. He then chucked the rock at the Tank's treads, where it went off with a satisfying boom and caused the tank to partially throw its tread off. It was damaged and would have difficulty moving, but was NOT immobilized....as it proved by pivoting slowly with a horrible squealing of the metal on metal sound of the treads and gears moving to position itself more towards Acme's side. The veteran Marine also noted with alarm that the ball turret Machinegun mount was angling his way as well....

Radioman 2nd Class Fred 'Mediocre' Roker was able to yell out to Acme his thoughts on the Super, to which he just got a terse; "Yeah, Got it!" before the Marine Staff Sergeant activated his Talent Power and hurled a make-shift rock-bomb at the Tank, doing some damage to its right tread. The Tank/Talent started moving towards Acme; meaning its unprotected Right Side/Rear was now facing Fred, who was perhaps 10 yards away.....

OOC: Okay a couple of quick things; Roker can DEFINITELY yell out to Acme and be heard. He and Acme are each about 10 yards from the Tank, with the Tank turning to face the latter and having its right flank/rear facing Fred....

MacGyver is still in the barracks with some unburnt (for now) Japanese documents; a Japanese Radio set-up with no generator (but which he along with others saw being utilized earlier in the Mission) and he now has two ways to exit the Barracks if he so likes. (The front door/blasted open 'archway' or the shell hole in the back wall)

Gurung is with a cluster of NPCs (Boyd, Crowder and a Marine named Taylor) at the front and a bit to the left of the Barracks building where they can see the tank about 100 yards away.

Dutch and Myers are at the back left corner of the Barracks building, about 75 yards from the tank.

If anyone has any questions/concerns, let me know, thanks!

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#75 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Well, this isn't he ideal firing position, but the tank seems to be slewed away from Roger's position, and distracted by the AT grenade thrown by whoever it was.

Roger takes the opportunity to drop prone, using the corner of the mess from the wall to provide some sort of screen, braces the bipod and takes aim at the lower turret...whoever is loading the main gun should be about...there.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#76 Post by Urson »

Dutch
Dutch picked up the AT, surprised at the weight of the thing. He grabbed the ammo and moved to a position a few yards to Meyer's left. Working as quickly as he could, he set up the weapon.
He aimed at the rear section of the tank and squeezed off a round, intending to damage the engine and immobilize the vehicle.
FA FO

GreyWolfVT

#77 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Wade stays low and tries to get his hands on whatever papers he can and thinking about the radio "I think one of them had some sort of powers that enabled them to use that radio." he calls out to any friendly in the area. Then he scrambles to try and get out before the tank fires another shot bringing the place down on him.
Last edited by GreyWolfVT on Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#78 Post by Monsieur Rose »

SSGT Acme

"I think I got its attention!" Marvin exclaims as he watches the tank pivot and starts to target him. Acme dips, dives, and dodges out of the line of fire. Possibly closer to the tank along its side where the ball turret can't reach.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#79 Post by Zhym »

Mediocre Fred ponders, just for a moment, heroically running for the tank, jumping on it, and trying to drop a grenade into it somehow. Then he remembers himself—and, more importantly, he remembers that he just saw a really big gun pointing at the tank (the gun probably has a name he was supposed to have learned at some point). Roker doesn't remember all of his training, but he was pretty sure that "don't be where really big guns are pointing" was somewhere in the curriculum. If it wasn't, it should have been.

He stays low and hopes that the big gun will do what the big gun was made for.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#80 Post by Rex »

Gurung

Gurung heads for some cover and tries to cover the anti-tank guns while they do their work.

Return to “Completed Missions”