IC: Chapter 1

The_Wanderer
Lance
Ranger
Ranger

Re: IC: Chapter 1

#301 Post by Lance »

Askor nods "The seller is willing to sell. We shouldn't force further negotiations on her. We have already turned 800 000 into 4 million."

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#302 Post by shaidar »

Jonas is quiet, considering the others suggestions.

"Agreed, let's not push our luck. If the seller is willing to accept then so should we. "

The_Wanderer
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#303 Post by The_Wanderer »

As you walk down the halls of the hotel, having left Zulehka's room, you all receive a text message from the Guardian AI.

I have found it difficult to purchase transport due to the source of my funds and my lack of identification. I have therefore been forced to deal with less formal market channels. There is a stripped down Free Merchant available for purchase. On which date can I tell the seller we will be available to finalize the deal?
Currently it is Jan 6

The crew returns to the bargaining table and find Katib sitting with his body slightly turned away and slightly facing toward a large window behind the table. He has his eyes closed. As you file in he opens his eyes and smiles at the crew. "You of course know of Idarete Citadel Drives. The fact that a corporation can control an entire planet and monopolize something so crucial as spike drives...I feel for natives of that planet...Alas I digress. Do we have a deal?"

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#304 Post by Marullus »

Sem remains perched on her chair when you re-enter the room. She has her knees pulled up, her arms around them, her face lowered and peeking through them. Her hair is touseled forward, partially concealing her red-rimmed eyes. With Katib turned away from her and staring out the window, the silence is palpable before he breaks it to speak to the crew instead.

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#305 Post by The Bindoner »

At the Iderate comment Katushya briefly directs a baleful glare at Katib before controlling herself.

The principal is reluctantly persuaded to accept the risible offer, but unlikely to be interested in following up their work on other such projects in light of the negligible recompense for the effort expended. I regret there has been no good will purchased with so low a valuation. Short term thinking. Surprising in a government.

Faanku
Ranger
Ranger

#306 Post by Faanku »

Shion Kuznetsov

Shion holds back the desire to scoff as Katyusha describes short-term thinking in a government surprising, turning her attention instead to the blonde-haired elephant in the room. When a free moment arrives, she sidles over to the girl and nods a greeting. "You seem to know both sides in this arrangement. What's your angle?" The statement is less a threat than a genuinely inquiry from a curious party.
The_Wanderer wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:33 pmI have found it difficult to purchase transport due to the source of my funds and my lack of identification. I have therefore been forced to deal with less formal market channels. There is a stripped down Free Merchant available for purchase. On which date can I tell the seller we will be available to finalize the deal?
Staring at the message for a few minutes, Shion comes to the logical conclusion that there's no point in arguing with the AI at this point. Instead, she sends it a reply asking for more information.

Code: Select all

Ship manufacturer, condition, fittings? Price?
This was the first she'd heard of them buying a ship for the AI. Things were rapidly escalating on several fronts at once, and Shion hated not being on top of them.
Last edited by Faanku on Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#307 Post by cybersavant »

Alix Conzweth sits silent and watches the negotiator.
gaming since 1980
cybersavant.proboards.com
- = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = -
Andreas Larson; Law of the Gun <Boot Hill 3e>
Nah Olos; Earthquakes in the Jotens <AD&D 1e>
Rorexsth; Wayfarers <Doctor Who>

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#308 Post by shaidar »

Not wishing a repeat of his previous luck with the negotiator, Jonas stays quiet and watches the man's reaction to Katushya.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#309 Post by Marullus »

Faanku wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:29 amWhen a free moment arrives, she sidles over to the girl and nods a greeting. [/i]"You seem to know both sides in this arrangement. What's your angle?" The statement is less a threat than a genuinely inquiry from a curious party.
"Sums were not life changing." The girl speaks in a whisper between her knees. She then lifts her head to look at Shion and wipe her nose with the back of her hand. "He negotiated. He made the government pay when I was... saved. Made a person." She looks at Katib with longing, disappointment. "He is no longer that man."

"I have interest in work," she states to Shion, holding her voice with effort to ensure it doesn't waiver. "I'm no longer just a weapon. I... I know things." She clicks deftly through several menus and turns the viewscreen on her wrist to show Shion, angling it ensure Katib can't see, giving him the side-eye.
A list begins scrolling, page after page... they're transcripts for every online university in the Sector. It is unclear if she finished any full degree programs, but the list scrolls a full minute with coursework in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Cybersecurity in Computer Science, Data Analytics, Electrical Engineering, Engineering Management, Civil & Environmental Engineering, Systems Engineering, Administrative Law & Gov't Regulation, Advanced Torts, Alternative Dispute Resolution, Constitutional Law & Civil Rights, Family Law & Estate Planning, Government Procurement, Litigation & the Judicial Process, Applied Mathematics, Art History, Biological Sciences, Chemistry, Forensic Chemistry, Forensic Psychology, Geography, Human Paleobiology, Interior Design, Philosophy, Classics, Ancient History, International Relations, Political Management, Physics, Aeronautics, Astronautics, Nuclear Science, and Chinese.
Last edited by Marullus on Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

The_Wanderer
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#310 Post by The_Wanderer »

The Bindoner wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:05 pm At the Iderate comment Katushya briefly directs a baleful glare at Katib before controlling herself.

The principal is reluctantly persuaded to accept the risible offer, but unlikely to be interested in following up their work on other such projects in light of the negligible recompense for the effort expended. I regret there has been no good will purchased with so low a valuation. Short term thinking. Surprising in a government.
"Thank you for your honesty however I think we will agree to disagree with regards to Ms. Zulehka's willingness to repeat this particular negotiation. Perhaps if she stays on the right side of...society, she won't need intermediaries in the future.

And I will assume that you will not be taking me up on my offer for recompense in order to come and work for The Blood. This is understandable given your position. However, you now have my contact information and are welcome to inquire after future work opportunities should the need arise. After all, space is vast, opportunities are vast, and all crews hit hard times eventually where they need a helping hand."

He clicks his tongue as he pulls out his datapad, types in a few things and smiles. "The deal is complete. I will wait here while you confirm payment and communicate the location and then will depart."

The man sits for a few moments humming in the silence.
You can ask any final questions as needed, otherwise we will move on to whatever comes next. Speaking of which, what comes next?
After about 10 minutes, everybody within the room (including Katib) receives a notification at the same moment. Your notification is a message from Lou that says, Payment received. Nice job. I though you'd be lucky to close for half that. The Gov should have the coordinates of the bunker now. All 6 party members then get a notification of a 28k credit deposit in your account.

For his part, Katib is reading quickly manipulating his device, clearly looking at a map. "Interesting. Very close to the city...Than you for your time." With that, the small man quickly collects his things and departs, saving one final head nod for Sem.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#311 Post by Marullus »

The_Wanderer wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:12 pm All 6 party members then get a notification of a 28k credit deposit in your account.

With that, the small man quickly collects his things and departs, saving one final head nod for Sem.
Sem looks perplexed when her screen beeps. She squeaks momentarily as she looks at it. She offers Katib a small, grateful smile when he departs.

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#312 Post by cybersavant »

The_Wanderer wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:12 pm And I will assume that you will not be taking me up on my offer for recompense in order to come and work for The Blood. This is understandable given your position. However, you now have my contact information and are welcome to inquire after future work opportunities should the need arise. After all, space is vast, opportunities are vast, and all crews hit hard times eventually where they need a helping hand."[/dialog]

He clicks his tongue as he pulls out his datapad, types in a few things and smiles. "The deal is complete. I will wait here while you confirm payment and communicate the location and then will depart."

The man sits for a few moments humming in the silence.
Alix Conzweth sits beside Katib while they wait for confirmation of the transfer and opens his own compad. "Should you ever need my skill sets," and Alix angles his compad so Katib can see the screen with his resume on it, "If i'm in the area, feel free to reach out. I don't come cheap, though."
gaming since 1980

The_Wanderer
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#313 Post by The_Wanderer »

Faanku wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:29 am Shion Kuznetsov
Staring at the message for a few minutes, Shion comes to the logical conclusion that there's no point in arguing with the AI at this point. Instead, she sends it a reply asking for more information.

Code: Select all

Ship manufacturer, condition, fittings? Price?
This was the first she'd heard of them buying a ship for the AI. Things were rapidly escalating on several fronts at once, and Shion hated not being on top of them.
The AI replies to the group: The ship is 98 years old and was originally produced by Third Moon Shipbuilding of Rezace. They appear to be a defunct manufacturer. Ship Details:
  • Body has been checked and patched for atmosphere leaks
  • Genuine ICD-1 Spike Drive
  • Reaper Battery
  • Life Support capable of maintaining your entire crew + 2 additional passengers
    To simplify matters, this will always be the crew size +2 so we don't have to worry about the impact of a fluctuating player pool size; otherwise this is mechanically the same as the Free Merchant in the book

As you can see, this is very stripped down but I do believe it is capable of facilitating our travel offworld. And as you know, I will not require life support. Ha Ha.
The price they have given is 1.2M credits, although as I mentioned I have access to credits to cover this expenditure.

Shion is correct in that the AI seems to be assuming your support in purchasing this ship.

The_Wanderer
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#314 Post by The_Wanderer »

cybersavant wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:47 am Alix Conzweth sits beside Katib while they wait for confirmation of the transfer and opens his own compad. "Should you ever need my skill sets," and Alix angles his compad so Katib can see the screen with his resume on it, "If i'm in the area, feel free to reach out. I don't come cheap, though."
Katib nods in acknowledgment to Alix and then when the business is completed, departs from the hotel leaving the crew richer and with some time on your hands.
Completely your call but I'd suggest determining the next course of activity and from that and any downtime requests, I'll help set the stage for what comes next.

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#315 Post by cybersavant »

Alix Conzweth "I'm for hauling our new friend offworld. The text doesn't specify how many funds are available - the whole cost?" He looks around the table to see who else is in favor.
gaming since 1980

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#316 Post by shaidar »

Jonas waits for Katib to depart. He looks up from reading the ship information.

"I agree. How long do we plan to hang around here first? I suppose it depends on how quickly the ship is ready. I've got thoughts on what I want to spend my cut on and I'd need a week minimum, two ideally, to complete. Those of us with connections should work together to try and source any equipment any of us might want, might have better luck finding what we want that way. "
Last edited by shaidar on Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The_Wanderer
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#317 Post by The_Wanderer »

shaidar wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:10 pm Jonas waits for Sem and Katib to depart. He looks up from reading the ship information.

"I agree. How long do we plan to hang around here first? I suppose it depends on how quickly the ship is ready. I've got thoughts on what I want to spend my cut on and I'd need a week minimum, two ideally, to complete. Those of us with connections should work together to try and source any equipment any of us might want, might have better luck finding what we want that way. "
And just so the rest of you see the subtext to Jonas' timeline here, shaidar sent me a shopping list that takes some time for him to source so the one week minimum, two ideally is specifically based on what he wants to do

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#318 Post by Marullus »

Marullus wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:10 pm
Faanku wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:29 amWhen a free moment arrives, she sidles over to the girl and nods a greeting. [/i]"You seem to know both sides in this arrangement. What's your angle?" The statement is less a threat than a genuinely inquiry from a curious party.
"Sums were not life changing." The girl speaks in a whisper between her knees. She then lifts her head to look at Shion and wipe her nose with the back of her hand. "He negotiated. He made the government pay when I was... saved. Made a person." She looks at Katib with longing, disappointment. "He is no longer that man."

"I have interest in work," she states to Shion, holding her voice with effort to ensure it doesn't waiver. "I'm no longer just a weapon. I... I know things." She clicks deftly through several menus and turns the viewscreen on her wrist to show Shion, angling it ensure Katib can't see, giving him the side-eye.
A list begins scrolling, page after page... they're transcripts for every online university in the Sector. It is unclear if she finished any full degree programs, but the list scrolls a full minute with coursework in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Cybersecurity in Computer Science, Data Analytics, Electrical Engineering, Engineering Management, Civil & Environmental Engineering, Systems Engineering, Administrative Law & Gov't Regulation, Advanced Torts, Alternative Dispute Resolution, Constitutional Law & Civil Rights, Family Law & Estate Planning, Government Procurement, Litigation & the Judicial Process, Applied Mathematics, Art History, Biological Sciences, Chemistry, Forensic Chemistry, Forensic Psychology, Geography, Human Paleobiology, Interior Design, Philosophy, Classics, Ancient History, International Relations, Political Management, Physics, Aeronautics, Astronautics, Nuclear Science, and Chinese.
Katib is gone, the group is talking amongst themselves. Seeing the uncertainty in Shion's expression, Sem leans forward and extends her own hands, offering to hold those of the Mavrokolan soldier. "Will you trust me?" she asks anxiously, her eyes both hopeful and vulnerable at the same time. If Shion does so, Sem holds her hands gently and closes her eyes for about a minute.

Shion / OOC:
The GM is allowing that Sem can share non-verbal images and concepts through a Symbiosis link (and she's comfortable doing so given her upbringing, where socialization is hard). This is purely for roleplay. Since Symbiosis is strictly consentual, this is not a test and doesn't have the oomph of actual Telepathy, and it also doesn't include shared senses or proximities that are part of Shared Mind. She can't read thoughts or memories of the partner (though she can borrow their knowledge and abilities as part of her Borrowed Brilliance feature seperately).

Shion feels Sem's presence at the edge of her mind, a comforting and warm invitation. Choosing to trust it, she finds her mind's capacity opening with dizzying possibility - like her own mind suddenly has spare time for more thoughts, ideas, and actions she was getting around to thinking about. For a moment the possibilities are intoxicating.

Then there's a shift. Shion is remembering things, things that aren't her own life. An entire childhood in the White Room. Touch screens teaching academics. The drawing of a rainbow on the wall. Meal trays slid under the door. Feeling good about the animated fireworks for passing an exam. Expressionless doctors in white coats. Longing. Alone in the White Room. More courses, more screens. Alone in the White Room. A pre-teen in a sparring dojo. The mirrors show a younger Sem. Three adults surround her, Shion recognizes the grace of their soldier training. Not Friends. "Again, Seven," a stern command. You feel their punches coming before they even begin, easily stepping aside. "Again, Seven." The men come again, she disarms all three of their tonfa and leaves them on the ground. "Again, Seven." You feel yourself helping one soldier against the other two, minds touching, the synergy granting preternatural reflexes to the pair. "Again, Seven," echoes, endless drills. Team training. Tactics training. The White Room... then Darkness. The lights are out, for the first time, all electric emissions cease in the windowless room. True Black. Fear. Alone. Hunger. Alone. The doors are opened by Katib, younger and with both eyes. He leads you out. Gratitude. Freedom.
You're overwhelmed - noise, people. You're excited, a studio apartment, a TV that doesn't show academics, a window to look at people down below. Katib shows you how to use a charge number. You order delivery. Food. Clothes. Gadgets from commercials. The building Super speaks kindly in Mavrokolan - "Again, Sem?" he chides. More delivery. A favorite episode of One Life to Live. You study academics again. You go outside; overwhelming. Noise. People. "Again, Sem?" he chides. More delivery. A boy. A friend? He comes to the apartment. You awake and your TV is gone, your gadgets. Not Friends. More delivery. You study academics again. A favorite episode of Wild Planets. "Again, Sem?" You are in a bar, a stubbly inebriated man needs you in the back hallway. He grabs at you - his neck snaps in your hands. You leave him there. A favorite episode of Space Explorers. "Again, Sem?" The delivery fails - the charge code's not working. Hungry. There's a new building Super, he's not kind. You can't go to your apartment. Alone. You sleep in an Alley. You protect your pack, your remaining gadgets: The Last Deliveries. You snap a thief's arm and run. Alone. Cold in an Alley. You find Katib on your compad. You see the room you're in.

Shion realizes the girl doesn't have a name - Sem is just the number Seven in Mavrokolan. Subject Seven is all she has ever been.
Sem and Shion both open their eyes. "...Please. I can help," Sem whispers. "I have interest in work."
cybersavant wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:31 pm Alix Conzweth "I'm for hauling our new friend offworld. The text doesn't specify how many funds are available - the whole cost?" He looks around the table to see who else is in favor.
"I will go off-world," adds Sem entirely agreeably, though she doesn't know who your 'friend' is or what it entails.

Lance
Ranger
Ranger

#319 Post by Lance »

Askor looks up from his compad. "Two weeks? I could do two weeks." He starts looking for basic bootcamps on some of the topics he's interested in and settles on a piloting course.

A Pilot-0 technician should cost about 100 credits for 10 days.

He then notices Shion and Sem, watching the proceedings with caution.

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#320 Post by The Bindoner »

cybersavant wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:31 pm Alix Conzweth "I'm for hauling our new friend offworld. The text doesn't specify how many funds are available - the whole cost?" He looks around the table to see who else is in favor.
I'll happily take that electronic brain anywhere it wants if has a ship to fly. Anyone willing to put me in the pilot seat is my new dearest friend.
Jonas waits for Katib to depart. He looks up from reading the ship information.

I'd prefer to keep moving, but I suppose I can amuse myself spending money for a change.

Seeing Sem with Shion Ekaterina thinks to herself That's interesting. Not a distraction placed by Katib then. An asset loose in the world. We should offer protection, she'll just get exploited by more unscrupulous people than me.

Return to “Sigma Chronos (SWN:Revised)”