IC: Chapter 1

The_Wanderer
The_Wanderer
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

IC: Chapter 1

#1 Post by The_Wanderer »

Date: 1/1/3200
You find yourself in a nondescript conference room in the Polish Prince Hotel in New Hope. Conversation is light and you realize that among the half-dozen or so others in the room, you know none of them. You were invited here to see a presentation on a job from a man known as Louie Antonetti. The lights dim and a screen illuminates in the front of the room.

A man's face fills the screen. He is in his mid 60's, bald with tan skin. His face has a poorly healed scar on his upper lip beneath his nose. He looks short and stocky.
"...is it on? I'm not talking if it's not on. What? It's on?...Good morning. Happy New Year and all that." The man talks in a rapid shot, staccato manner...almost like a machine gun.

"For those of you who don't know me, my name is Lou Antonetti. My company is in the import/export business generally helping planets that don't have...whatever...find the things they need. I have a time sensitive opportunity for you. I used to own a logistics company just outside of New Hope. Unfortunately our contracts with The Blood have dried up and with it, Franklin Logistics has ceased operations. This is where you come in. I need a crew on the ground to pick up a shipment of surplus agricultural equipment that is on the premises and bring it to Dock 12 at the Spaceyard at New Hope. I have a buyer in the Thora system that I need to get it to like yesterday. I know you have questions, so let me answer a few of them up front.

-Why don't I have Franklin Logistics do this work? As I said, unfortunately they have closed their doors.

-How should you go about this? That's up to you but I have arranged for a freight truck and ground car to be available to transport you. I recommend doing this at night.

-Why at night? As I go through the liquidation process, the equipment is being held by the lawyers on site. That won't do! I have a customer that needs this product. If you visit Franklin during the day, there's likely to be some kind of watch on the facility. I don't want you to get slowed down by that.

-Will Franklin be open at night? No. There shouldn't be anyone there. It will be locked but I believe you are resourceful enough to get in.

-What's in the shipment? Pre-scream ag equipment that came out of some bunker. We bought it, fair and square. That's all you need to know.

-What will happen at Dock 12? I have a shuttle coming down to pick up the shipment. I'll just need you to help load the shuttle.

-Payment? 500 credits each. Not bad for a night's work.

-My expectations: Quick work, no snooping. If you can do this for me, I'll have more work ahead."

Louie finally takes a breath. "Now, what else do you want to know?"

=====
OOC: A little setting info - As a TL4 planet, Mer (where you are) has the equivalent of wireless internet everywhere that can be used to access any public information you are curious about.
Last edited by The_Wanderer on Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: IC: Chapter 1

#2 Post by cybersavant »

Alix Conzweth

Alix stands, leaning against the back wall. "500 credits, cool. Doesn't sound much like danger pay though. I take it that if there is resistance to our efforts, you have culpable deniability?"

gaming since 1980
cybersavant.proboards.com
- = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = -
Andreas Larson; Law of the Gun <Boot Hill 3e>
Nah Olos; Earthquakes in the Jotens <AD&D 1e>
Rorexsth; Wayfarers <Doctor Who>

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by shaidar »

Jonas

While the talking is going on Jonas does a search of the local news sources for 'The Blood'.

The sneak skill is described as including things like bypassing security systems, would in also include using the 'internet' while leaving a minimal footprint, such as using anonymising search engines?

Samwell Turleton
Ranger
Ranger

#4 Post by Samwell Turleton »

Corbeau Boucher

Corbeau likes to locate himself on the edges of a room near an exit. This is partly to keep an eye on all the activities of the room. It is also because the spaces are hard to access with his mobility assistance devices. Thousands of years to learn to make spaces accessible and you would think they would be designed with people like Corbeau in mind.

500 credits sounds good to Corbeau but his mind starts racing with ideas. He rolls the words of Louie over in his head. Is there a catch? Some piece of this story that I am missing? Why this group?

Corbeau looks around at the faces of all the attendees of this presentation.

Notice [2d6] = 3
Last edited by Samwell Turleton on Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The_Wanderer
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#5 Post by The_Wanderer »

cybersavant wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:51 pm Alix Conzweth

Alix stands, leaning against the back wall. "500 credits, cool. Doesn't sound much like danger pay though. I take it that if there is resistance to our efforts, you have culpable deniability?"

Lou holds up a hand. "I hear two questions there. First - on the money 500 credits for a night is good money. Yeah, maybe not if I was asking you to break into a Pre-tech bunker but this is my property sitting in my facility. No, there is no danger pay here. Second - I honestly don't see where resistance would come from. Now...do I want you to keep this quiet? Of course. But that is not really any different than other kinds of business arrangements I make."
A little context on money - The rules list 500 credits as "A lot of money to an ordinary worker". I appreciate these kinds of qualitative descriptions.
Last edited by The_Wanderer on Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

The_Wanderer
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#6 Post by The_Wanderer »

shaidar wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:46 pm Jonas

While the talking is going on Jonas does a search of the local news sources for 'The Blood'.

The sneak skill is described as including things like bypassing security systems, would in also include using the 'internet' while leaving a minimal footprint, such as using anonymising search engines?
This would fall under common knowledge and you'd definitely know this stuff just being here on Mer. I put a wiki article up but basically they are the ruling group on this planet.
Despite the ominous sounding name, The Blood are a group of enterprising colonists that came to Mer in the last century seeking freedom at the fringes of humanity. Prior to their arrival, Mer was sparsely populated with no known Terran Mandate installations. In a stroke of unbelievable fortune, the colonists stumbled upon a massive stockpile of pre-Scream technology, equipment, and knowledge. In all the time since, The Blood have worked tirelessly to recruit new settlers to Mer and to continue to exploit the remnants of the Terran Mandate.

The Blood is currently led by Nazir Dahhak.

Now beyond this information, I'd say you could use Sneak the way you describe up to the point where you are actually hacking a system. At that point, it is a Program check. Depending on the direction you want to go in digging up more information, it could just take time to look it up instead of a roll.
Last edited by The_Wanderer on Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

The_Wanderer
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#7 Post by The_Wanderer »

Samwell Turleton wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:05 pm Corbeau Boucher
Corbeau likes to locate himself on the edges of a room near an exit. This is partly to keep an eye on all the activities of the room. It is also because the spaces are hard to access with his mobility assistance devices. Thousands of years to learn to make spaces accessible and you would think they would be designed with people like Corbeau in mind.

500 credits sounds good to Corbeau but his mind starts racing with ideas. He rolls the words of Lou over in his head. Is there a catch? Some piece of this story that I am missing? Why this group?

Corbeau looks around at the faces of all the attendees of this presentation.
Notice [2d6] = 3
To be honest, this group only looks slightly harder edged than most, and much tamer than many. You have no reason to doubt that this job is exactly what Lou describes it to be.

Gorethirster
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#8 Post by Gorethirster »

Haelboer takes a long look at the screen, knitting his bushy brows. Of course he needs the money, and of course the job is technically a little illegal, but those sorts of minor details don't bother him. Now logistics, that bothers him. He pipes up in his throaty voice:

"You say we have one car and one cargo truck. You say agriculture equipment, as though there are many pieces. Presumably you want them all. Will there be more need of transport than what you have provided? Tell us about these farming machines. If we're to load and unload them we will need to be a little familiar with the controls, or we might damage them. That would certainly be unfortunate."

"Likewise, you are willing to spend money, 500 credits per person or for the whole job, I am not sure, to collect these machines. Would there not be others willing to make such a deal with another group? Is there any reason to expect conflict not from site guards, but others like ourselves? As you say, your contracts with The Blood have dried up. Might not they be considering the same operation as you?"

As he falls silent Haelboer scrutinizes the screen intensely. Something in Lou's sales pitch seems rushed, or like he's glossing over details, but it's not clear if that's simply his experience as a salesman looking to complete the pitch or something more malicious.

Samwell Turleton
Ranger
Ranger

#9 Post by Samwell Turleton »

Corbeau Boucher

Corbeau's attention drops from the group, this looks like good company for the job, he thinks as he continues a search query on his compad. He is reaching out to some underworld contacts on the planet for information about Franklin Logistics shipping manifests, satellite imagery of the Dock 12 Spaceyard, and sourcing a shuttle pilot and laborers of his own.

Whatever is in the shipment is probably worth a whole lot more than the credits we are being offered.

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#10 Post by cybersavant »

Alix Conzweth

"'K, I'm in." Alix scans the rooms, moving only his eyes, tying to judge the others. "I assume you chose us for our variety of useful, complementary skills."
gaming since 1980
cybersavant.proboards.com
- = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = -
Andreas Larson; Law of the Gun <Boot Hill 3e>
Nah Olos; Earthquakes in the Jotens <AD&D 1e>
Rorexsth; Wayfarers <Doctor Who>

The_Wanderer
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#11 Post by The_Wanderer »

Gorethirster wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:13 pm
Haelboer takes a long look at the screen, knitting his bushy brows. Of course he needs the money, and of course the job is technically a little illegal, but those sorts of minor details don't bother him. Now logistics, that bothers him. He pipes up in his throaty voice:

"You say we have one car and one cargo truck. You say agriculture equipment, as though there are many pieces. Presumably you want them all. Will there be more need of transport than what you have provided? Tell us about these farming machines. If we're to load and unload them we will need to be a little familiar with the controls, or we might damage them. That would certainly be unfortunate."

"Likewise, you are willing to spend money, 500 credits per person or for the whole job, I am not sure, to collect these machines. Would there not be others willing to make such a deal with another group? Is there any reason to expect conflict not from site guards, but others like ourselves? As you say, your contracts with The Blood have dried up. Might not they be considering the same operation as you?"

As he falls silent Haelboer scrutinizes the screen intensely. Something in Lou's sales pitch seems rushed, or like he's glossing over details, but it's not clear if that's simply his experience as a salesman looking to complete the pitch or something more malicious.
Lou's eyes rest on Haelboer and says, "What do I know about Ag equipment? It's not some kind of big tractors if that's what you're asking. It's equipment crated up on 10 pallets. Should fit in the truck, no problem and there should be pallet jacks there - in fact why don't you grab those and bring them with. Those are mine too.
As for other interested parties? I doubt it. One thing you lot have going for you is that nobody knows you, nobody's tracking you. In fact, besides my partners and the lawyers, I don't know if anybody else knows about this shipment.

The Blood is pretty harmless, as far as planetary governments go. There's much worse out there..."
He lets this last point hang in the air.

Gorethirster
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#12 Post by Gorethirster »

The Blood is pretty harmless, as far as planetary governments go. There's much worse out there..." He lets this last point hang in the air.
Haelboer raises his eyebrows at this surprisingly prickly reply.

"All is well, all is well. No need for such unspoken threats. On my home agricultural equipment means bovines and plows. I only sought to learn what the phrase meant here. Or there, I suppose. I will do this job for you."

That said, Haelboer settles back into his chair and looks around the room. At least one of the others is now committed, but will the rest join in?

The_Wanderer
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#13 Post by The_Wanderer »

Samwell Turleton wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:52 pm Corbeau Boucher
Corbeau's attention drops from the group, this looks like good company for the job, he thinks as he continues a search query on his compad. He is reaching out to some underworld contacts on the planet for information about Franklin Logistics shipping manifests, satellite imagery of the Dock 12 Spaceyard, and sourcing a shuttle pilot and laborers of his own.

Whatever is in the shipment is probably worth a whole lot more than the credits we are being offered.
I'm going to say that sounds like either a Connect check - which you don't have - or Administer (Int) - basically doing a search of public databases looking for more formal bureaucratic info.
[2d6] = 7+1=8
In quick order, you learn a few things:
-there is a public address for a defunct company named Franklin Logistics with only one listed owner - Louis Antonetti. No other information is given on the owner
-Dock 12 is a part of the New Hope Spaceyard Complex, generally used for private travel for those with their own space vessels or for commercial purposes. It can accept up to a free merchant sized vessel.
-Manual labor is actually somewhat difficult to come by on Mer. It has been in a continual state of colonization for a century and essentially there is always too much to do and not enough people.
-Booking services are available for intersystem (side note - there are 2 other inhabited planets in the system: Dul-Yaq and Telas) or interstellar shuttles. Prices for shipping begin in the hundreds of credits for intersystem and go into the thousands or 10's of thousands for interstellar with larger ships.

Samwell Turleton
Ranger
Ranger

#14 Post by Samwell Turleton »

Corbeau Boucher

I expect half now and half on successful completion of the job.

Corbeau pauses for a moment...

And your price for our work is a little low for my tastes. Can you make the offer harder to refuse?

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by shaidar »

Jonas decides to hold off and do his research when he has more time to do a proper job of it. He's sure there is something left unsaid about this job, it sounds too simple, but he needs the credits and is about to agree to it when his attention is taken by the man at the edge of the room asking for more money. He waits to see the response of their would-be employer.

The_Wanderer
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#16 Post by The_Wanderer »

Samwell Turleton wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:27 pm Corbeau Boucher
I expect half now and half on successful completion of the job.

Corbeau pauses for a moment...

And your price for our work is a little low for my tastes. Can you make the offer harder to refuse?
I'd call this either a Talk (Cha) or Trade (Cha) check - looks like you have Talk
[2d6] = 7
Lou leans back, arms across his chest for a second. He looks at something off-screen for a moment and then is back. "Fine. 1/2 in advance, 550 each. Final offer. Do we have a deal then?"
I'd like to jump forward to the next scene if possible. Chime in if you have any last second questions or doubts about taking the offer.

Samwell Turleton
Ranger
Ranger

#17 Post by Samwell Turleton »

Corbeau Boucher

It is nice being in business with you Louie. We have a deal.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by shaidar »

Jonas

"I'm in too"

NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#19 Post by NJWilliam »

Disston

Disston nods to Lou, ’I’m in as well.”
Sebastian, A Candle in the Darkness
Ulrich, Tales of The Troll Company
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers
Hakon Geirmundarson, Pawns of the North Wind
Jameson Rowan, Silverband
Disston Symonds, Sigma Chronos

The_Wanderer
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#20 Post by The_Wanderer »

The bald man claps his hands and says, "Fine. I'll have both vehicles delivered to your hotel tomorrow, let's say around 9PM. The shuttle dock appointment is at midnight. Remember - Dock 12. You each should get a message with my local comms number along with a deposit in your accounts for the first half of payment. We'll talk soon."

Lou abruptly cuts the signal and the lights brighten in the room.
Alright - you have a day of downtime. Please post anything you'd like to do to prep. Equipment is generally available here and you certainly have time for any recon/research you want to do ahead of time.

Date: 1/2/3200

The truck and groundcar arrive on time. Fortunately, the truck is fully self-driving and pre-programmed with a destination on the outskirts of New Hope. Between the two vehicles, you have plenty of room for everybody to stretch out on the nearly one hour drive. Eventually, the truck pulls into an industrial park and winds its way to its final destination. A sign in front advertises Franklin Logistics. The building itself is a modest sized warehouse with doors for entering into an office area and one near the loading docks for the warehouse area.
Something like this:
industrial-warehouse-entrance-and-white-stock-photograph_csp56533892.jpg
industrial-warehouse-entrance-and-white-stock-photograph_csp56533892.jpg (48.61 KiB) Viewed 1453 times
The weather is clear and notably, the warehouse is dark including the parking area and loading docks. There are other buildings nearby with some signs of activity but nearby traffic is light. The truck has come to a stop in the parking area outside the building; a blinking button on the dashboard says: "Press to Dock".

Return to “Sigma Chronos (SWN:Revised)”