Character Generation

Marullus
ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Character Generation

#1 Post by ffilz »

This is the thread we will do character generation in. Unless something comes up and makes sense, we will do character generation by the book, other than I'm open to a discussion about social origin not being random.

Dice roller campaign #873

At this time, I see no reason to restrict character types, we will work to allow all social levels to work together, though we may want some sensitivity if someone desires to play a ninja.

Era will be late Heian period, some 25 years before the Genpei war with things starting to go haywire with the Hogen and Heiji rebellions. The capital at this time is Heian-kyō (now Kyoto).

Since we will be starting with Valley of the Mists, it may make sense for characters to come from Hida province, though I also hope to have some focus on the central mountains and areas along the Nakasendo (which appears to be named the Tosado after the circuit it traverses) so Shinano, Mino, or Kotsuke provinces may also be a good choice.

This will be an anachronistic Nippon, so if something is a bit out of place for the actual Heian period, well, this is Nippon not Japan...

So let's get started...
Last edited by ffilz on Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Character Generation

#2 Post by jemmus »

Excellent, I'm working on a character. He'll be a bushi from Hida.
For some inspiration maybe, here's a blog about a Bushido campaign that went on for 26 years. https://elruneblog.blogspot.com/2017/10 ... -nash.html

Edit: Here's a link to a Bushido character sheet PDF. http://www.space-opera.net/mirror/fgu/downloads.htm The page also has an Excel sheet with the old Japanese calendar (names of months and hours, etc.)
PCs

Dust to Dust (Stars Without Number) - Circuit Counsel Taavi Perttu
Big Shiny Island (AD&D 1E) - Theo, low charisma ranger
Samurai Adventures (Cold Iron) - Kiyoshi, ronin bushi
WW2 Supers d6 - Luther "Luke" Goodfox

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#3 Post by ffilz »

Cool. Will look those over.

I need to set up a dice roller ID. In the meantime just use whatever method you like for dice rolling.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#4 Post by ffilz »

Ok, had a couple minutes on the computer...

Dice Roller campaign #873

Samwell Turleton
Ranger
Ranger

#5 Post by Samwell Turleton »

Bushido_AmanoSouta.png
Bushido_AmanoSouta.png (158.17 KiB) Viewed 1343 times

Birth Table

Low Rank Samurai (RF = 1)
On = 15
Gold = 7
Silver = 7
Copper = 40
Age = 16

Attributes:
STR: +10
DFT: +10
SPD: +05
HLH: +15
WT: -05
WL: +00

Initial Skills:
Bugei
Bajutsu (horsemanship)
Chikugo-jutsu (fortification and siege strategy)
Hojojutsu (binding)
Iaijutsu (fast-drawing the sword)
Jittejutsu (short iron truncheon)
Kenjutsu (swordsmanship)
Kyujutsu (archery)
Naginatajutsu (glaive-like polearms)
Ni-to-kenjutsu (two-sword style)
Senjo-jutsu (deployment of forces)
Sojutsu (spears)
Tessenjutsu (steel ribbed war fan)
Yadomejutsu (arrow cutting)
Yari-nage-jutsu (javelins)

Fine Art:
Go

Buke & Samurai:
Katakana at (2 x Wit) + (10 x RF) + Initial Age
Hiragana at (2 x Wit) + (10 x RF)
Kenjutsu score +5 in initial score
Court Dance
Sumi-e (painting in ink)
+5 to Bajutsu score
Kanji at (2x Wit)

Initial Goods:
Han-kyu (short bow), Man Rating = 1
Quiver 15/24 (5 Watakushi "Bowel Raker" and 10 Togari-Ysj "Armor Piercer")
Steel-ribbed fan
Armor: Samurai Armor Class = 7
Good Samurai Garb
Good Winter Garb
Dai-sho (Katana and Wakizashi) = Average

Character Starting Rolls:
Birth Table [1d100] = 18
Age [1d6+15] = 1+15 = 16
Money: Gold [3d3] = 7, Silver [3d6] = 7, Copper [3d6x10] = 4x10 = 40
Armor Class [2d3] = 4 + [1d3] = 3
Samurai Sword Inheritance [1d20-1] = 3-1 = 2
Warhorse on 15% [1d100] = 65
Arrows [4d6] = 15
Hit Points [1d10] = 4

There is a helpful overview of a character generation process here: https://microphonesofmadness.wordpress. ... nt-page-1/
Last edited by Samwell Turleton on Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:16 pm, edited 11 times in total.

Samwell Turleton
Ranger
Ranger

#6 Post by Samwell Turleton »

How do people feel about the profession mix of the group?

Do you prefer mixed or the same professions?

NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#7 Post by NJWilliam »

I’m in. Will work to get rolling up tomorrow.
Looking forward to this!
Sebastian, A Candle in the Darkness
Ulrich, Tales of The Troll Company
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers
Hakon Geirmundarson, Pawns of the North Wind
Jameson Rowan, Silverband
Disston Symonds, Sigma Chronos

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by jemmus »

Welcome NJ! ST, I myself don't have strong feelings either way on mixed or same professions. Either way sounds fun. I see that we'll both be playing bushi characters.
Sorry, char creation is taking more time than I expected. It takes some time, but it's really interesting and you learn the details of how the game works along the way. I'll post what I have so far and edit along the way.
Last edited by jemmus on Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
PCs

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by jemmus »

Kamine no Toshizo
Birth Table
High Rank Ronin
Bushi
On - 35
8 gold, 10 silver, 140 copper

Attributes (with bushi Profession modifiers)
Strength - 18
Deftness - 19
Speed - 18
Health - 25
Wit - 10
Will - 5
PCs

Samwell Turleton
Ranger
Ranger

#10 Post by Samwell Turleton »

I had to wrap my head around the relationship of attributes to skills and the BCS numbers. I set up a spreadsheet to look at that and felt like it might be a helpful tool to share around. I haven't plugged in the capabilities, LR, HR, MNA, etc... but plan to build it up a bit more. If you improve on it please send it back around!

Bushido-Rev1.xlsx
(20.4 KiB) Downloaded 34 times

Edit: This Bushido_Rev1.xlsx file is an updated version that I believe has all of the abilities, capabilities, healing rate, learning rate, etc... inserted and pulling their information from the attributes, rank factor, age, and level information. I added more headers and clarifying notes to explain what the data in different cells represents. This is specifically set up for the Bushi profession but you can modify that first column of attributes to be the other professions attributes, the second column represents the 60 points that you are spending on the character, and the third column tallies these to give you your permanent attribute number. I added the saving throw calculation next to that.

I added a tab that has formatting that is similar to the character record sheet. The data is linked to the spreadsheet so it should update itself as you go.

Anywho, hope this is useful for everyone!

Last edited by Samwell Turleton on Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:36 pm, edited 6 times in total.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#11 Post by ffilz »

Samwell Turleton wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:19 pm I had to wrap my head around the relationship of attributes to skills and the BCS numbers. I set up a spreadsheet to look at that and felt like it might be a helpful tool to share around. I haven't plugged in the capabilities, LR, HR, MNA, etc... but plan to build it up a bit more. If you improve on it please send it back around!

Bushido.xlsx
I put this up as a Google Sheet: https://drive.google.com/file/d/11JAJSR ... sp=sharing

If you request access, everyone can edit it (and then I can also give each of you access to additional things like a common campaign document for character sheets and such).

Optionally PM me the e-mail you use for Google login and I'll directly invite you to edit things (plus view a few things for close sharing).

Samwell Turleton
Ranger
Ranger

#12 Post by Samwell Turleton »

I updated the excel file in the post above. It has a data tab and a character record sheet tab that is similar to the official sheet in format.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#13 Post by ffilz »

Samwell Turleton wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:19 pm I had to wrap my head around the relationship of attributes to skills and the BCS numbers. I set up a spreadsheet to look at that and felt like it might be a helpful tool to share around. I haven't plugged in the capabilities, LR, HR, MNA, etc... but plan to build it up a bit more. If you improve on it please send it back around!

Bushido-Rev1.xlsx

Edit: This Bushido_Rev1.xlsx file is an updated version that I believe has all of the abilities, capabilities, healing rate, learning rate, etc... inserted and pulling their information from the attributes, rank factor, age, and level information. I added more headers and clarifying notes to explain what the data in different cells represents. This is specifically set up for the Bushi profession but you can modify that first column of attributes to be the other professions attributes, the second column represents the 60 points that you are spending on the character, and the third column tallies these to give you your permanent attribute number. I added the saving throw calculation next to that.

I added a tab that has formatting that is similar to the character record sheet. The data is linked to the spreadsheet so it should update itself as you go.

Anywho, hope this is useful for everyone!

I've uploaded the new sheet for Google Drive: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1am90n2 ... sp=sharing

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#14 Post by ffilz »

BTW, has everyone caught the errata? Much of it applies to chargen.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-6yBtS ... sp=sharing

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by jemmus »

Looking forward to trying the Excel sheet, ST-- thanks much! Errata info noted. I think I have to revise my ronin char a little. Iaido Duel from the errata is very interesting.
PCs

Samwell Turleton
Ranger
Ranger

#16 Post by Samwell Turleton »

I was reading through the dueling rules earlier today and wondering where that Iaijutsu duel was. It is referenced earlier in the rules. I appreciate the errata as well!

My association with that type of duel came from the L5R CCG. There was a great piece of artwork associated with it.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#17 Post by ffilz »

Samwell Turleton wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:33 pm I was reading through the dueling rules earlier today and wondering where that Iaijutsu duel was. It is referenced earlier in the rules. I appreciate the errata as well!

My association with that type of duel came from the L5R CCG. There was a great piece of artwork associated with it.
Between this campaign starting up and playing in Starbeard's L5R, I've been debating opening the shrink wrapped L5R CCG I have. I don't have any boosters, but I'm a bit curious about it...

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#18 Post by ffilz »

I folks would PM me an e-mail address, I do want to set up a Google Document with the character sheets, or at least a quick reference and we'll also use that to collect other information. I always find it easier to have a document we can all edit rather than burying character sheets in posts that only the poster can edit.

Samwell Turleton
Ranger
Ranger

#19 Post by Samwell Turleton »

I bet there are good resources for the L5R CCG game art online. I learned about the game late so only picked up a few starters and some miscellaneous packs. I remember I couldn’t find a community for it where I was but I bet it still has some devoted fans.

I just learned I am referring to the old game. The game has been remade by Wizards of the Coast as a living card game. I liked and only have experience with the old one.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by jemmus »

Email address sent by PM. Sorry for the delay finishing up my char, the weekend got away from me. Working on it.
L5R looks interesting. Seems more high fantasy-like than Bushido.
PCs

Return to “Marullus' Bushido (FGU)”