Malicious Website Warning

If you need support for dice roller or the forums, post here.
thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Malicious Website Warning

#1 Post by thirdkingdom »

Mods, I'm getting this warning everytime I try and navigate to the US forums. It *looks* like it is something on my end, but I'm not sure how to deal with it (or even if I should). When I'm on the US the bar at the top of Chrome does note that it is not a secure forum, FWIW.
2020-09-05.png
2020-09-05.png (126.79 KiB) Viewed 1270 times

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Malicious Website Warning

#2 Post by ToniXX »

It might be because the site does not use SSL. Is there any revealing info at the 'why am I seeing this?' link?
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by thirdkingdom »

ToniXX wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:14 pm It might be because the site does not use SSL. Is there any revealing info at the 'why am I seeing this?' link?
Not very much, unfortunately. It does look like this is something with my ISP, rather than Chrome or Norton.
2020-09-05 (1).png
2020-09-05 (1).png (106.82 KiB) Viewed 1248 times

Ithril
Ranger
Ranger

#4 Post by Ithril »

I have this exact same issue as well.
I am certain it is an issue with CenturyLink's nannyware. I am working with their tech support to resolve the issues.

I just sent them a very pointed email demanding action on this problem.
They tried to tell me it's a problem with this site.
I countered with the fact that it's the CenturyLink logo at the top of the page.
Then they claimed it was a setting in my mcaffee antivirus software, as there is a mcaffee logo near the bottom that you cannot see on the screencap you posted.
I countered with a screenshot of my installed programs proving I do not have mcaffee installed.
For two weeks now I haven't heard anything.

Had I the option of using a different ISP, that would be the solution I would choose. Unfortunately, CenturyLink has a corner on the market in my area. They are the only available provider here.

If there is any other resolution, I will post it here.

Letter to CenturyLink:
This issue is really getting irritating.
It's one thing for it to be an inconvenience to browsing a site I often go to, but when it pops up several times while using that site, and interfering with my ability to post content to that site, IT HAS TO BE FIXED.

It is a site for writing creative content, and when I write something, I need to have the ability to post it without worry that it will get memory holed because your nanny system is paranoid.

I want some update and some action on this by the end of the week. You can respond to me here. Otherwise I will be calling tech support, sales and/or the corporate number, Monday 10/5 to find someone who can satisfy my expectations for the services I am paying for.

I
Last edited by Ithril on Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ithril
Ranger
Ranger

#5 Post by Ithril »

Also, thirdkingdom, what router did they send you? Is it a C4000LG?
I may opt to replace this router with something else.

I

Ithril
Ranger
Ranger

#6 Post by Ithril »

Admins:
I called CenturyLink to complain about this issue, and they claim it is a CenturyLink hosting issue. I smell b.s. However, if I'm wrong, and you are using CenturyLink as a host, you may want to contact them regarding this issue, and have it resolved.
Please let me know so i can continue to try to resolve this problem.

Thank you
I

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#7 Post by ToniXX »

I would also suggest a new router. It might not solve the problem, but if you have access to a spare one and have the know how to set it up, try it. I use a router that has custom firmware flashed on it called DDWRT. I've never had a problem with it and I've been using routers with DDWRT for well over 10 years.
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

Ithril
Ranger
Ranger

#8 Post by Ithril »

I *think* I have solved the problem.

It is originating with CenturyLink.
It took a long time, and a lot of persistence and insistence to get through to the right person, but a VERY HELPFUL technician named Matt was able to diagnose the problem, and fix it for me.

If you have the time to do it, and the stubbornness to wait on hold long enough, it can be fixed.
I have a ph#, so if anyone else needs it for this problem, dm me, and I will send it to you.

I

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by thirdkingdom »

Ithril wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:22 pm Also, thirdkingdom, what router did they send you? Is it a C4000LG?
I may opt to replace this router with something else.

I
So, unfortunately I don't know enough about routers to answer the question with any certainty. However, I can post a link to what they sent: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0866 ... UTF8&psc=1

I *think* it is a hardware issue for me, chiefly because I've got the same kind of router for home and work, and for unrelated reasons switched the two this weekend. Before the switch I was able to access US with no issues at work but not at home, and now it is reversed. I'm going to have them send me a new router to fix an unrelated issue, and hopefully it will fix this, as well.

Ithril
Ranger
Ranger

#10 Post by Ithril »

thirdkingdom wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:19 pm I *think* it is a hardware issue for me, chiefly because I've got the same kind of router for home and work, and for unrelated reasons switched the two this weekend. Before the switch I was able to access US with no issues at work but not at home, and now it is reversed. I'm going to have them send me a new router to fix an unrelated issue, and hopefully it will fix this, as well.
Okay, that's not the kind of router they sent me.
I can tell you without a doubt it's a setting they have set in the router. They can fix it, but they don't want to. You will have to call them and bug the :!: out of them. Keep calling, keep escalating it until you find the technician named Matt. He was very helpful. I have his phone number here somewhere. I'll try to find it & dm it to you.

I

Return to “Help and Support”