OOC: Introductions

Eris
Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

OOC: Introductions

#1 Post by Eris »

This is where players can introduce themselves to each other and get acquainted.

I'm Eris Reddoch and I've been role playing since 1975, started with the 3 little brown books in the white box. I still have that box and those books. I never moved to 1st or 2nd edition D&D, I just modified and kept playing ODD. Then D&D 3 came out, or rather the SRD for d20, and I really "gronked" it!

I have become a fan of games with few and simple rules...very simple rules. ;) I've actually run SLUG games, and liked it. I think some of the players in my games would say I'm almost running SLUG now. :)

I haven't been able to play in a ftf game in several years, and working with computers all day soured me on video gaming so I've concentrated on PBEM and some PBP forum gaming. I'm used to the slow pace of online games. A post every few days is probably all you'll see from me...except when things get really hectic, like combat. In that case, the posting rate might go up to 2 or 3 posts a day...but I promise it won't get too fast for anyone. Too slow is more likely to be the problem. If it turns out you can't take the slow pace don't feel bad, for people coming from ftf it is a big change and it's not everyone's "cup of tea."

I have recently retired, but it seems like my free time has gone down. I went from being a Computer Science Professor working 50 hours a week to a full time caretaker for my ninety-nine year old mother. As she used to say, "It ain't no fun getting old."

Here are 7 good rules we all should follow in the game. Oh, and don't forget Rule 0 either! :)

So, tell me about yourself.

Eris
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: OOC: Introductions

#2 Post by Darithe »

Well after reading the DM's post, I feel quite the inexperienced child. I'm relatively new to role playing. This will be my fourth game but I don't really count the first two as they died quick and well-deserved deaths. So I've only played for about two years. I've never played on this site before so I'm quite the newbie. My experience with Castles & Crusades is nil. I do have access to a digital copy of the player's guide and will start reading it after I post this. I've loved fantasy literature since I was a child my favorites being Tolkien, C.S. Lewis, Weis/Hickman, George R.R. Martin and Joe Abercrombie. So I come to role playing from a reader's background.

As to a character, I'm leaning towards someone to match my avatar, perhaps a shieldmaiden or northern shaman or volva.

Looking forward to gaming with you all...
Darithe

scott.d.vale
Squire
Squire

#3 Post by scott.d.vale »

played d&d in 80s, b/x and 1e. came back to it about 10 yrs ago. haven't played c&c but took a look at the quick start guide before replying. i am about 20 years away from retiring but looking forward to it!

new to pbp. not sure what I will think of the pace, so will have to see about that, but i liked what you had to say about style you were going for.

scott

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#4 Post by Eris »

Darithe wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:26 pm Well after reading the DM's post, I feel quite the inexperienced child. I'm relatively new to role playing. This will be my fourth game but I don't really count the first two as they died quick and well-deserved deaths. So I've only played for about two years. I've never played on this site before so I'm quite the newbie. My experience with Castles & Crusades is nil. I do have access to a digital copy of the player's guide and will start reading it after I post this. I've loved fantasy literature since I was a child my favorites being Tolkien, C.S. Lewis, Weis/Hickman, George R.R. Martin and Joe Abercrombie. So I come to role playing from a reader's background.

As to a character, I'm leaning towards someone to match my avatar, perhaps a shieldmaiden or northern shaman or volva.

Looking forward to gaming with you all...
Darithe
Pleased to meet you! You've got some experience in role playing under your belt. C&C is pretty simple and I'll try my best make it more so as we play, so you and all the other players can concentrate on role playing (and roll playing when that comes up.) We're all here to have fun and if we work together we will have fun.

Eris
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#5 Post by Eris »

scott.d.vale wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:18 am played d&d in 80s, b/x and 1e. came back to it about 10 yrs ago. haven't played c&c but took a look at the quick start guide before replying. i am about 20 years away from retiring but looking forward to it!

new to pbp. not sure what I will think of the pace, so will have to see about that, but i liked what you had to say about style you were going for.

scott
Pleased to meet you Scott! Looking back to the 80's, I might have liked BX, but my roleplaying was travelling in other directions that whole decade (and the 90's too for that matter). I've only played C&C for a short while in a forum game that ended way too soon, so I'm not a real expert on it. From that game, I do know I'd rather go with fixed target numbers rather than remembering to do 12 or 18. :) I think we'll have fun with this game.

About pace, remember there are a bunch of players in the game and even when I'm not pushing the "plot" forward you all can interact and talk to each other about what's happening In Game (IG), discuss what you'd like to do next, and fill reveal little bits of character background to each other to pass the time.

BTW, about character background. Back when I started we barely gave our PC's names until they hit 3rd or 4th level because most of them never made it past 1st level before going toes up. We'd just roll our stats and start playing and as we played we'd slowly discover who our PC was, where they came from, and what their goals for the future were. I know that's not everyone's experience, but I'm still more comfortable with "design in play" rather than "design at start"...but that's game theory and let's leave that alone. :)
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#6 Post by NJWilliam »

Hey folks.
I first played D&D is the early 80s, basic and AD&D. I haven’t had a FtF group in a couple of years, and am just getting back to pbp recently. I’ve dabbled over the years in some of the newer style systems, but old school is my wheelhouse. I enjoy the pace of pbp, especially since it allows me to fit it in to my schedule pretty easily - my larger blocks of free time now usually get dedicated to homebrewing beer.

I played one C&C pbp campaign that ended pretty young, and I really enjoyed the system. Very much looking forward to this campaign!

- Bill
Sebastian, A Candle in the Darkness
Ulrich, Tales of The Troll Company
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers
Hakon Geirmundarson, Pawns of the North Wind
Jameson Rowan, Silverband
Disston Symonds, Sigma Chronos

bobk2323
Tracker
Tracker

#7 Post by bobk2323 »

Eris wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:29 am This is where players can introduce themselves to each other and get acquainted.
Hiya everybody. I know that I already posted an intro in the intro thread for the forum itself, but here goes:

I've been playing and GMing various RPGs since 1983, including AD&D 1e and 2e, Pathfinder, D&D 5.0, Traveller (mainly the Classic version), GURPS, BESM 2.0 Revised, a little bit of Shadowrun, and various rules-light rulesets like Sherpa. Recently I've played a *lot* of D&D 5e, as well as some Pathfinder, Kids on Bikes, and Teens in Space.

As for me as a person, I'm a former Systems Administrator who was forced to retire early due to poor health. I live in what is oddly called the "Garden State" (NJ) with my wife Hope and a handful of a Goffin's Cockatoo named Kicsi. I'm really looking forward to playing with all of you! :D

--
Bob K.
--
Bob K.

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#8 Post by Eris »

bobk2323 wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:12 pm
Eris wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:29 am This is where players can introduce themselves to each other and get acquainted.
Hiya everybody. I know that I already posted an intro in the intro thread for the forum itself, but here goes:

I've been playing and GMing various RPGs since 1983, including AD&D 1e and 2e, Pathfinder, D&D 5.0, Traveller (mainly the Classic version), GURPS, BESM 2.0 Revised, a little bit of Shadowrun, and various rules-light rulesets like Sherpa. Recently I've played a *lot* of D&D 5e, as well as some Pathfinder, Kids on Bikes, and Teens in Space.

As for me as a person, I'm a former Systems Administrator who was forced to retire early due to poor health. I live in what is oddly called the "Garden State" (NJ) with my wife Hope and a handful of a Goffin's Cockatoo named Kicsi. I'm really looking forward to playing with all of you! :D

--
Bob K.
Hey Bob! I knew I saw a post from you somewhere, but I couldn't find it when I went looking. I hope you and Hope are doing ok.

Eris
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

bobk2323
Tracker
Tracker

#9 Post by bobk2323 »

Eris wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:25 am
Hey Bob! I knew I saw a post from you somewhere, but I couldn't find it when I went looking. I hope you and Hope are doing ok.

Eris
Hope and I are currently dealing with some health problems and the associated money problems at the moment, but we're otherwise doing okay. :)

--
Bob K.
--
Bob K.

bruce.desertrat
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#10 Post by bruce.desertrat »

I'm not quite as old as Eris, but my first D&D game was in ~1978.

Played off and on F2F and online pretty much ever since, mostly homebrewed D&D, Homebrewed Traveller, Homebrewed SLUG, Cyberpunkish and such....Haven't DM'ed in a long time

This will be my (counts on fingers) Holy Cow SEVENTH separate game I've played with Eris as a GM!!! Come a long way since Ricardo O'Brien stumbled, hungover, into that lawyers meeting on (Mora, was it?) He's fun to play with!

IRL I'm a IT jack-of-all-trades at the UofA here in Tucson AZ.
Pedro "Wong Way" Wong, 98BA77,
Navy, Starman, 3 Terms, 31,
Electronics-1, Engineering-1, Gravitics-1, Grav
Vehicle-1, Pilot-2, Steward-1, Vacc-1, ZeroG-2. Benefit:
Blade.

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#11 Post by Eris »

bruce.desertrat wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:01 pm I'm not quite as old as Eris, but my first D&D game was in ~1978.

Played off and on F2F and online pretty much ever since, mostly homebrewed D&D, Homebrewed Traveller, Homebrewed SLUG, Cyberpunkish and such....Haven't DM'ed in a long time

This will be my (counts on fingers) Holy Cow SEVENTH separate game I've played with Eris as a GM!!! Come a long way since Ricardo O'Brien stumbled, hungover, into that lawyers meeting on (Mora, was it?) He's fun to play with!

IRL I'm a IT jack-of-all-trades at the UofA here in Tucson AZ.
I remember Ricardo O'Brien fondly. However, I think the meeting was on Argent not Mora. Something about your Great Great Uncle Akus leaving you a ship called the Mae Lee, wasn't it? :)
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#12 Post by ateno »

Hey, I'm Eric, Eris and I have much in common, though I did pick up dnd 2.0 or advanced. Been playing ever since. Played many other rpg but never 4 or 5(yet).

I grew up as a homesteader in Fairbanks Alaska, ex-military, (Army and Coast Guard) and am a Nurse supervisor working with developmentally disabled adults.

I dont think I will ever be able to retire...

Eric

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by joertexas »

Eris wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:29 amSo, tell me about yourself.

Eris
I'm JR, and yes, I live in Texas :D I've been gaming in Silverband for <mumble, mumble> years, and I think this is the third iteration of that game title.

Welcome to all the new folk in the fold :D
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97
Slug Rifle- 3, Medicine-2, Tactics-2, Zero-G-2, Streetwise- 2

In the Marches
Zaki Shursila, 486B97, Army, Major, 3 terms, 31
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.

terrymixon
Ranger
Ranger

#14 Post by terrymixon »

I'm Terry. I've been playing for almost as long as Eris, and in many of his games. I've been a soldier, an IT guy for NASA, and I now write science fiction as a professional writer.
The Spinward Main: Jack "Flighty" O'Brien, 989BB7, Merchant (3rd Officer), 4 terms, 34
Carousing-1, Computers-1, Engineering-1, Investigation-1, Jack of all Trades-3, Medicine-1, Melee Cbt-0, Navigation-1, Pilot-3, Pistol-1, Repair-1, Science-1, Steward-1, Streetwise-1, Cargo-0, Zero G-0
Benefit: 1,000 Cr, Auto Pistol, Explorer's Society (or TAS) membership.

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#15 Post by Eris »

terrymixon wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:55 pm I'm Terry. I've been playing for almost as long as Eris, and in many of his games. I've been a soldier, an IT guy for NASA, and I now write science fiction as a professional writer.
Welcome Terry! Everyone go buy some of Terry's books! :)

You're Character sheet looks fine to me. Maybe you could modify your sheet to show +2/+7 or something like that in the Ability Mod notes part, though, to make it easier on dumb old me when I'm checking for whether to use +2 or +7. :)

Totally Different Subject: The other thing is I'm wondering where on the sheet to put the Base To Hit numbers. Maybe under THAC0 on the weapon's tab...I know it's not THAC0, but it seem logical to put it there for each weapon. I wish the Administration was using a d20 sheet, but I guess they are Intermediate School...not older and not newer than THAC0. Some folks would say "Just right!"...me, I'd say, "Just wrong!" :)
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#16 Post by Darithe »

JR said: "As you all can see, I like to make illustrations with my characters, and I much prefer to stare at a female form for hours while I work - just saying..."

JR, very impressive work on the Eodrien illustration! It's clear to see you have real talent there. And I truly get your preference of looking at the female form. In my experience, men are definitely more visually oriented types, while women (at least this one) are much more touch based (whether by body, by mind, or by heart). ....Umm, and sometimes visually too, damn you Brad Pitt for ruining my comparison!

Terry, I'm ashamed to say I've not read any of your work....Now Terry Brooks, Terry Goodkind, and Terry Pratchett (what's with the proliferations of Terrys?) yes, but I was never one much for science fiction. My reading of science fiction is limited to a little Asimov and lots of Ray Bradbury.

And to everyone else - Hi I'm looking forward to playing with you all, assuming the DM doesn't kill me off for impertinence.

~ Darithe dances off into the moonlight....

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by joertexas »

Darithe wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:34 pm JR said: "As you all can see, I like to make illustrations with my characters, and I much prefer to stare at a female form for hours while I work - just saying..."

JR, very impressive work on the Eodrien illustration! It's clear to see you have real talent there. And I truly get your preference of looking at the female form. In my experience, men are definitely more visually oriented types, while women (at least this one) are much more touch based (whether by body, by mind, or by heart). ....Umm, and sometimes visually too, damn you Brad Pitt for ruining my comparison!

Terry, I'm ashamed to say I've not read any of your work....Now Terry Brooks, Terry Goodkind, and Terry Pratchett (what's with the proliferations of Terrys?) yes, but I was never one much for science fiction. My reading of science fiction is limited to a little Asimov and lots of Ray Bradbury.

And to everyone else - Hi I'm looking forward to playing with you all, assuming the DM doesn't kill me off for impertinence.

~ Darithe dances off into the moonlight....
Commentary in no particular order:

Terry is an excellent writer, and you won't be disappointed with his books.

Eris hasn't killed any of my characters - yet. Although, there is the issue of magic users with Fireball spells to consider (http://dbdev2.pharmacy.arizona.edu/pbem ... 03213.html). Now, where did I put that gag and the manacles?

I'm still learning to use Daz 3D, but it does produce good results with a manageable amount of effort. I find that the avatars really help me connect with my characters.
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.

bruce.desertrat
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#18 Post by bruce.desertrat »

joertexas wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:44 am
Commentary in no particular order:

Terry is an excellent writer, and you won't be disappointed with his books.

Eris hasn't killed any of my characters - yet. Although, there is the issue of magic users with Fireball spells to consider (http://dbdev2.pharmacy.arizona.edu/pbem ... 03213.html). Now, where did I put that gag and the manacles?

I'm still learning to use Daz 3D, but it does produce good results with a manageable amount of effort. I find that the avatars really help me connect with my characters.
Oh, Thanks for reminding me of that episode! :P I haven't revisited the old Silverband archives in a while. At least Valerin won't insist on giving the orcs a proper burial like Dominic did.. (there's no stubborn cleric like a Good dwarven cleric....)
Pedro "Wong Way" Wong, 98BA77,
Navy, Starman, 3 Terms, 31,
Electronics-1, Engineering-1, Gravitics-1, Grav
Vehicle-1, Pilot-2, Steward-1, Vacc-1, ZeroG-2. Benefit:
Blade.

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by joertexas »

bruce.desertrat wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:03 pmOh, Thanks for reminding me of that episode! :P I haven't revisited the old Silverband archives in a while. At least Valerin won't insist on giving the orcs a proper burial like Dominic did.. (there's no stubborn cleric like a Good dwarven cleric....)
This scene is the most memorable of my gaming moments, hands down.
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

Return to “Silverband (C&C)”