OOC - Welcome and Chat #2

atpollard
Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: OOC - Welcome and Chat #2

#81 Post by Urson »

Duh! I completely forgot about the biodiesel! So Sorry!!

Jo wouldn't have made her little speech to Nathaniel, if he's not helping with the engines. And if Mercutio is talking engines and mechanics, Jo will spend all day debating copper vs. brass fittings, oils, pressure differentials, etc,etc,etc..
FA FO

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#82 Post by atpollard »

It looks like this crew will need to work double shifts to operate the Hemisphere Dancer around the clock. A suggested rotation unless anyone wants to change it:

SHIFT 1:
Pilot: Josephine (Pilot-0)
Engineer: Linkletter (Mechanical-0)
Navigator: Remy (Recon-0)

SHIFT 2:
Pilot: Jacques (Pilot-2)
Engineer: Josephine (Mechanical-1)
Navigator: Nathaniel (Nav-1)

SHIFT 3:
Pilot: Jacques (Pilot-2)
Engineer: Mercutio (Machinery-3)
Navigator: Nathaniel (Nav-1)

SLEEP SHIFT:
  • Jacques (shift 1)
  • Nathaniel (shift 1)
  • Mercutio (shift 1 or 2)
  • Josephine (shift 2)
  • Linkletter (shift 2 or 3)
  • Remy (shift 2 or 3)
You have just enough bodies to work one shift each if you drop the "Navigator" position and just sail without a "lookout/spotter". I assume you would prefer to have three crewmen on duty and keep a watch for trouble. Remember that for routine tasks, absolutely no skill is required. Anyone can learn to maintain a heading on a helm, or watch a pressure gauge on a boiler with 5 minutes of instruction ... so all of these people can handle some emergencies with skill-0.
"welcoming humbly His light and proudly His darkness" - e.e. cummings

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#83 Post by atpollard »

Greetings gentle-beings,

Just a quick side note on "Rolls" and adventure. Rest assured that adventures in my games are driven by CHARACTER ACTIONS (which in this reality means player posts). I draw inspiration from what you say and do. The "rolls" are used to randomize events and help shape what form the adventure (even just shopping) will take.

I did not want anyone to think that making or failing a roll means having or not having an adventure. It just shapes the form of events by inspiring me with randomness.

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#84 Post by Monsieur Rose »

I do like the idea of buying a gun mount. What does everyone else think?

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#85 Post by Bluetongue »

For Nathaniel it is not his boat, but if it was he would think any enterprise into dangerous waters should be safeguarded as much as practical.

Artillery pieces of 'gun combat' is not a skill he is familiar with though.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#86 Post by Urson »

Some kind of weapons makes perfect sense, given the circumstances. Of course, I'd suggest that they be conceal- able, or set up so they can be taken below deck. Some people have a real distrust of armed strangers.
FA FO

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#87 Post by atpollard »

Something old and something new …

Diana (Leitz) will be returning.
(shaidar) will be joining us.
(AsenRG) seems to have fallen off the board … Remy will shift to NPC for now and may be taking a sabbatical in the near future. (Hopefully the player resurfaces).

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#88 Post by Leitz »

AsenRG occasionally has lengths of internet disconnect, he's in an eastern European nation, IIRC.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#89 Post by shaidar »

Hi, looking forward to the game. Just posted my first go at a character in the creation thread.

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#90 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Welcome! And Welcome back!

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#91 Post by Leitz »

Thank you M Rose! It is good to be back.

atpollard, in the scene for Diana I used Rule 68A a little sideways. I tend to think about what the character would do, roll the dice, and then narrate alterations to the plan based on the rolls. In this case Diana was trying to get more information on the slaver, but I rolled a modified 7. So she could easily find the common knowledge but couldn't get what she was really looking for.

That's inspired gambling with Fredrk. In theory, he can help her get leverage (another die roll modifier) on the information she needs. She has endurance, underworld cunning, and a crafy mind; success is just a matter of time. Of course, there's probably a streewise roll you need to make for her, to see how "clandestine" her information search is. :)

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#92 Post by shaidar »

Thanks Monsieur Rose :)

AsenRG
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#93 Post by AsenRG »

Leitz wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:43 am AsenRG occasionally has lengths of internet disconnect, he's in an eastern European nation, IIRC.
Yeah, that happens when I go to my country house, though the internet is quite decent. It's not that I don't have internet there, I just don't bring the computer when travelling...and posting in PbP from a phone is something I try to avoid :) .
But that wasn't the issue here. Simply put, I'd assumed the game had suffered a case of the Quiet Death, and consequently, stopped logging in the Unseen Servant! Sorry, atpollard and everyone else - but I've seen it happen too many times to even be surprised...

If anyone's wondering how comes I'm back, ffilz took the effort to notify me on the rpgpub because of course I use the same username there. Now, if you'd like me to actually come back, I'd need to do quite a bit of reading ;) !

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#94 Post by Leitz »

Always happy to game with you!

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#95 Post by atpollard »

AsenRG wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:00 pm Now, if you'd like me to actually come back, I'd need to do quite a bit of reading ;) !
Of course we want you back, you were missed.

I can save you a lot of reading … y’all saved the town, jumped on your steamship and rushed off to rescue a kidnapped princess from slavers (technically, it is the niece of a Grand Duchess, but Royalty is Royalty).

You are steaming to the place where she is being held (You and Jacques somehow knew the coordinates where the slavers were taking the lady that owned the Emerald Necklace) and trouble is expected.

You have stopped briefly at an uncharted community in the Deep Water wilderness beyond any government control. The group is talking about buying a small cannon for the bow of the ship (named ‘Hemisphere Dancer’ because I got tired of calling it ‘the boat’ and asked them to name it).

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#96 Post by atpollard »

Sorry all about the lag in response on my end.
I lost the boot sector on my faithful Windows 7 Computer and have to alternate between gathering data from the cloud, my paper notes and rebuilding a new Windows 10 Computer. So some things I can do from my iPad and other things take a few days to locate the correct notes to respond. No data was lost, just the hard drive that had it all in one place for easy reference.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#97 Post by Zhym »

atpollard wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:22 am Sorry all about the lag in response on my end.
I lost the boot sector on my faithful Windows 7 Computer and have to alternate between gathering data from the cloud, my paper notes and rebuilding a new Windows 10 Computer. So some things I can do from my iPad and other things take a few days to locate the correct notes to respond. No data was lost, just the hard drive that had it all in one place for easy reference.
Oof. Glad no data was lost, though. My absolute favorite online game ever, an online chat game back in the ‘90s, died when the DM had a hard drive crash that took out all his game notes.

Rebuilding a computer is no fun at all, though.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#98 Post by shaidar »

Ouch! Nothing worse than that sinking feeling when you turn your PC on and...

Glad nothing was lost.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#99 Post by Leitz »

We move a lot and most of my computer gear is third hand. I use multiple local backup drives, Google Drive, and GitHub private repositories for almost everything.

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#100 Post by atpollard »

We bought a new computer with Windows 7 installed on it.
Then ran it 24-7-365 until the HD failed.
Then replaced the old HD with a new HD and reinstalled Windows 7.
Then ran it until this HD failed.

I would have replaced the HD again and kept going, but Windows 7 is unsupported and it was getting too hard to get drivers and software. So a new machine with Windows 10 … and we are good to go for another decade or so.

I actually got the Windows 7 machine 90% back up and running. I just need to track down a strange glitch with the USB port. It can read a USB external HD from a cable, but it cannot find a USB Flash Drive. The Flash Drives work on other Windows 10 computers (I don’t have another Windows 7 Computer to test them on).

I think it is a Driver conflict issue, but try getting information on updated Widows 7 USB drivers.
It is a low priority fix, so I just putter with it when I have spare time.

Return to “Wild West Waterworld (Classic Traveller)”