OOC - Welcome and Chat #2

atpollard
AsenRG
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: OOC - Welcome and Chat #2

#101 Post by AsenRG »

Sorry to hear about the loss of game notes!
I am lucky to prefer Linux. New versions work on old machines, the update is free, basically all programs I need have Linux versions, and the system is actually better-protected against viruses just by not being based on Windows... unless you need specific programs that only work under Windows, there are NO downsides :D !

Also, that sounds great. I'm sure Remy would love some opportunities to do so<me proper rescuing of damsels :twisted: !

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#102 Post by Urson »

I have no opinion about Linux vs. Non- Linux. But I used to work with a guy who was a hardcore Linux evangelist. HE was hard to work with...
FA FO

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

CASH ON HAND and LIVING EXPENSES

#103 Post by atpollard »

A brief interlude to deal with some bookkeeping issues. While the group was not engaging in “trade”, the details of what money was located where didn’t matter. Now that the group has started to explore “buying” and “selling”, it matters what gold you have with you and what gold is safe in a bank on Gwynedd.

If the ship is eaten by a mysterious KRAKEN, I do not want all of your wealth to miraculously be safe in the bank as you swim for safety. If a man presents a great trade opportunity, I do not wish all of your wealth to mysteriously teleport from the bank into your pocket. So, the goal is just to establish ONCE what cash is where and get on with the adventure ignoring such trivialities as much as possible.

To help, I have simplified the LIVING EXPENSES from based on each specific SOC to a few general groups based on typical SOC and a general description:

LIVING EXPENSES (Soc 0-2 “Homeless”) = Cr 100 per 40-day cycle
LIVING EXPENSES (Soc 3-5 “Laborer”) = Cr 400 per 40-day cycle
LIVING EXPENSES (Soc 6-8 “Craftsman”) = Cr 1,500 per 40-day cycle
LIVING EXPENSES (Soc 9-11 “Gentlemen”) = Cr 4,500 per 40-day cycle
LIVING EXPENSES (Soc 12-14 “Nobleman”) = Cr 14,000 per 40-day cycle
LIVING EXPENSES (Soc 15 “Royalty”) = Cr 40,000 per 40-day cycle

As a starting point, each person has a “cycle” of Living Expenses in cash on them that will be spent on routine items like food and clothes and entertainment during Cycle 1063 without wasting time recording every transaction (It will just be gone by Cycle 1064, Day 1). In addition, I will assume that each character has cash on hand for the adventure equal to the “living expense” for the next higher group. The remainder of your cash is in the bank. Just let me know if your character wants to have a different “lifestyle” or cash-on-hand.

Repair on the ship (Hemisphere Dancer) cost a mere Cr 650 and a substantial 200 hours of YOUR labor (more on the ship in another post) ... I split the ship 6 ways (allowing Nathan to 'buy in' for simplicity and group cohesion).

The Character Roster (in descending SOC):

Jacques Bonnet (SOC D: “Nobleman”): Cr 14,000 + 1,500/cycle cash (living expenses) & Cr 4,062 cash (reserves); Emerald Necklace* (Cr 200,000); (Cr 3,328 share of house); (Cr 110 share of boat); Crate of “Technical Manuals” [Computers] (Cr 20,000; 2000 kg)
40000 starting
-3328 house
-110 boat
-17,000 manuals
-15,500 living
-4,062 cash
Diana Hayes (SOC C: “Gentleman”): Cr 4500/cycle cash (living expenses) & Cr 14,000 cash (reserves); Cr 101,500 in Bank of Gwynedd
120,000 starting
-4,500 living
-14,000 cash

Sir Arthur Benjamin (SOC B: “Gentleman”): Cr 4500/cycle cash (living expenses) & Cr 14,000 cash (reserves); Cr 31,500 in Bank of Gwynedd
50,000 starting
-4,500 living
-14,000 cash

Remy Hernandez (SOC 5: “Craftsman”): (Cr 1,500/cycle cash living expenses paid by Jacques) & Cr 4,500 cash (reserves); Cr 5,062 in Bank of Gwynedd; Emerald Necklace* (Cr 200,000); (Cr 3,328 share of house); (Cr 110 share of boat)
13,000 (Sold High and Low passage)
-3328 house
-110 boat
-0 living
-4500 cash

Samuel Linkletter (SOC 3: “Craftsman”): Cr 1,500/cycle cash (living expenses) & Cr 4,500 cash (reserves); Cr 25,562 in Bank of Gwynedd; (Cr 3,328 share of house); (Cr 110 share of boat)
35,000 starting
-3328 house
-110 boat
-1500 living
-4500 cash

Mercutio Routledge (SOC 3: “Craftsman”): Cr 1,500/cycle cash (living expenses) & Cr 4,500 cash (reserves); Cr 80,562 in Bank of Gwynedd; (Cr 3,328 share of house); (Cr 110 share of boat)
90,000 starting
-3328 house
-110 boat
-1500 living
-4500 cash

Josephine Baxter-Smith (SOC 3: “Craftsman”): Cr 1,500/cycle cash (living expenses) & Cr 4,500 cash (reserves); Cr 28,462 in Bank of Gwynedd; (Cr 3,328 share of house); (Cr 110 share of boat); crate of Machine Parts (Cr 15,000; 1500 kg)
700 starting
+53,000 salvage
+2000 wine
-1300 tools
-3328 house
-110 boat
-16500 machine parts
-1500 living
-4500 cash

Nathaniel (SOC 3: “Laborer”): Cr 400/cycle cash (living expenses) & Cr 1,500 cash (reserves); Cr 87,990 in Bank of Gwynedd; (Cr 110 share of boat); (Cr 40,000 share of schooner ‘Shangri-La’)
90,000 starting
-110 boat
-400 living
-1500 cash
Last edited by atpollard on Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"welcoming humbly His light and proudly His darkness" - e.e. cummings

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Gwynedd Trade Goods

#104 Post by atpollard »

Two trade items were available before you left Gwynedd, presented by the characters as an option for the group, but no final decision reached so:

(Mercutio): crate of “Technical Manuals” [Computers]: (Cr 20,000; 2000 kg) = 1 crate available for Cr 17,000 or 5 crates for Cr 16,000 each … sale bonus at Non-Ind and Poor.

(Samuel): canister of “Magic Dust” (Powdered Horn) [Illegal Drugs]: (Cr 50,000; 1 kg) = 1 to 5 canisters available for Cr 50,000 each … sale bonus at Rich and HiPop.

Going Once.
Going Twice.

Last call, any takers? ....

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Hemisphere Dancer

#105 Post by atpollard »

Sternwheeler ‘Hemisphere Dancer’
Length = 45’
Width = 15’
Draft = 6’
Displacement = 80 metric tons
Cost = Cr 48,000 (new)

45 foot Sternwheeler has a forward crew cabin (Cr1200) that sleeps 2 comfortably or 4 crowded; a small control bridge (Cr1200); two fire-tube boilers (Cr7200); a fuel tank for biodiesel (Cr1200) lasting 168 hours at cruising speed; a 10’x15’ cargo bay; a passenger stateroom (Cr1200) for 1 high or two middle passengers; a compound engine (Cr21,600); and a sturdy wooden hull (Cr14,400).

Notes on QUALITY (2d6 scale)
  • 0 = termite food/pile of rust
  • 2 = sinks/scrap
  • 6 = functional (commercial freight) … the ship will pass a port inspection as "Safe to transport cargo".
  • 8 = pass government inspection (commercial passengers) … the ship will pass a port inspection as "Safe to transport passengers".
  • 10 = perfect condition
  • 12 = brand new
  • 15 = show ready detailed and polished
Cost to repair +1 quality point for each major component:
engine (Cr21,600) = Cr900 + 300 man-hours
wooden hull (Cr14,400) = Cr600 + 200 man-hours
fire-tube boiler (Cr7200) = Cr300 + 100 man-hours
forward crew cabin (Cr1200) = Cr50 + 15 man-hours
control bridge (Cr1200) = Cr50 + 15 man-hours
fuel tank (Cr1200) = Cr50 + 15 man-hours
passenger stateroom (Cr1200) = Cr50 + 15 man-hours

Current quality of major components on this particular ship:
engine = Quality (10)
wooden hull = Quality (7)
two fire-tube boilers = Quality (8)
forward crew cabin = Quality (6)
control bridge = Quality (8)
fuel tank = Quality (8)
passenger stateroom = Quality (6)

CARGO:
(32,000 kg of cargo can be transported safely)
The Ship will transport up to 32 tonnes (mass) in the cargo hold at “standard displacement” with the possibility of adding another 19 tonnes (mass) on the upper deck at “maximum displacement”. Depending on the specific cargo, you may fill the internal volume before you reach the weight limit (and need to store cargo crates on the upper deck).

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#106 Post by Zhym »

FWIW, Mercutio would not want to be a part of dealing in illegal drugs (if he knew about it).

Are there ways to make “honest money” other than by trading? Mercutio isn’t really all that interested in buy-low-sell-high speculation (although he’ll contribute to any purchases the “company” wants to make for that purpose—subject to the above restriction). Invention, now, that’s something that’s worthwhile, if it’s possible in his current adventuring lifestyle. Or even getting paid for his services one way or another.

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#107 Post by atpollard »

Zhym wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:25 amFWIW, Mercutio would not want to be a part of dealing in illegal drugs (if he knew about it).
Illegal Drugs includes drugs related to both Paranormal Research (Spiritualism was big in the 19th Century) and to Psionics ... so it is more than just the Opium Trade.

Drugs could also be "Illegal" because they are experimental in Germany or France, but not approved for sale in Britannia.
Like Bootleg Whiskey, Illegal Drugs may not have paid TAXES and received a Government Stamp.

Just suggesting some less nefarious possibilities so we can avoid ugly realities in fun games.

Mercutio can still disapprove.

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#108 Post by atpollard »

Zhym wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:25 amAre there ways to make “honest money” other than by trading? Mercutio isn’t really all that interested in buy-low-sell-high speculation (although he’ll contribute to any purchases the “company” wants to make for that purpose—subject to the above restriction). Invention, now, that’s something that’s worthwhile, if it’s possible in his current adventuring lifestyle. Or even getting paid for his services one way or another.
Saving the town of Gwynedd was worth a Cr 5000 reward ... for people that live on about Cr 1500 per 40 day cycle.
Rescuing a member of the Britannia Royalty should be worth something. ;)

ASK AND YOU SHALL RECEIVE!
I had no idea that you wanted to invent.
We got rules for that!

Give me some time to get THIS adventure a little further along (like the two groups together at the next stop) and I can start to feed Mercutio information on things that interest YOU after that.

Question: What sort of things would Mercutio like to invent? What general areas or types of things? Practical or theoretical? Clockwork, Hydraulic, Pneumatic, Electric, Optical?

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#109 Post by Zhym »

Gotcha. I’m mostly just thinking that as a doctor, he’d have a problem trading in anything he thought was a dangerous, addictive drug. Taxes and useful drugs that haven’t been approved, he wouldn’t care about.

As for invention—glad to hear it! Mercutio would be interested in practical inventions. He’d be especially keen on those of use in medical practice, plus a broad category of what I’d term “handy gadgets.” So off the top of my head I’m thinking that he’d probably focus on clockwork and optical, with maybe a bit of dabbling in low-power electronics.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#110 Post by ffilz »

Looks fine to me including cash on hand, Doc Linkletter mentioned the drugs to others, but was not personally interested in purchasing them.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#111 Post by Zhym »

For that matter, any contraband—not just drugs—could raise practical issues: are there places we couldn’t go? Situations where it would be very bad if we got caught with the goods? Would getting a reputation as a ship that deals with the black market attract unwanted attention?

Maybe the reward could be worth it, but if we’re thinking at all about getting into smuggling (which it doesn’t sound like we are), we should probably all be on board (so to speak).

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#112 Post by Monsieur Rose »

atpollard wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:10 am Cycle 1063 (Winter): Day 14: Shift 3: 8 Bells [Poage Fleet]
Jacques Bonnet, Remy Hernandez, Mercutio Routledge, Samuel Linkletter, Josephine Baxter-Smith, Nathaniel

The group has returned to the boat. Whatever the decision with the Gun, you have some options for buying Speculative Cargo to take or leave. Here are your choices all gathered in one place:

RICHARD (charges a 1% Fee)
Basic Food (2 Cr/kg) 1.7 Cr/kg
Luxury Food (20 Cr/kg) 17 Cr/kg
Pharmaceuticals (100 Cr/kg) 90 Cr/kg
Deep-Water Spices (6 Cr/kg) 5.7 Cr/kg
Illegal Luxuries (50 Cr/kg) 47.5 Cr/kg
Tin Ore (20 Cr/kg) 20 Cr/kg
Illegal Biochem (50 Cr/kg) 52.5 Cr/kg
Illegal Drugs (100 Cr/kg) 115 Cr/kg

LOCAL MARKET (No 1% Fee)
Basic Food (2 Cr/kg) 1.9 Cr/kg
Luxury Food (20 Cr/kg) 18 Cr/kg
Pharmaceuticals (100 Cr/kg) 95 Cr/kg
Deep-Water Spices (6 Cr/kg) 6 Cr/kg
Tin Ore (20 Cr/kg) 21 Cr/kg
(Requires Streetwise Roll)
Illegal Luxuries (50 Cr/kg) 50 Cr/kg
Illegal Biochem (50 Cr/kg) 55 Cr/kg
Illegal Drugs (100 Cr/kg) 120 Cr/kg

JOSAPHINE CONTACTS
Deep-Water Spices (6 Cr/kg) 6 Cr/kg … 1900 kg available with a 200 kg minimum purchase (he would not split a 200 kg crate) … likely to sell for 15% to 30% more at any Deep-Water Community smaller than 100 people.
Luxury Food (20 Cr/kg) 18 Cr/kg … high demand in (Rich) Communities and Large Cities (Hi Pop)

Discuss and make your choice.
I like the swivel gun, the spices from Richard (assuming they are the same as the others, just cheaper), pharmaceuticals from Richard, and maybe one crate of technical manuals Mercutio found on Gwynedd.
Plus any basic resupply.

So: How about the L12 bronze howitzer for 692. It could be fitted into that elevator platform idea.
100kg of Pharmaceuticals for 9000+1%=9090
1900kg of Spices for 10830?+1%=10938
plus a crate of manuals(2000kg) for 17000
a total of 37720

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#113 Post by Leitz »

Is it okay to assume Diana knows "John" the steward? Thinking through my next post.

On Gambling, your base premise sounds good. A 112.5 win on a night means she needs to average that 40 times to make Cost of Living. She probably needs to raise that a little, but she's hedging her math to pay the bills at the Cr 4500 lifestyle level.

Is it possible to scope the competition before the games, and use Streetwise to get a modifier for the game? Conversely, if she's fishing for information, can she take a minus on the game to get a bonus on Streetwise during the play?

Focusing on those two skills as those are the main "civil" ones she has. :)

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#114 Post by atpollard »

Leitz wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:34 pmIs it okay to assume Diana knows "John" the steward? Thinking through my next post.
Diana can know him, but only in passing. He is "neutral" to Diana and "friendly" with Arthur.
Leitz wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:34 pmOn Gambling, your base premise sounds good. A 112.5 win on a night means she needs to average that 40 times to make Cost of Living. She probably needs to raise that a little, but she's hedging her math to pay the bills at the Cr 4500 lifestyle level.

Is it possible to scope the competition before the games, and use Streetwise to get a modifier for the game? Conversely, if she's fishing for information, can she take a minus on the game to get a bonus on Streetwise during the play?
Hmmm ...

Making a living with gambling-1 should require some effort ... especially at small stakes games.
On the other hand, you could probably play several small games per day if you found a larger settlement.

Using streetwise to scope the competition ...
OK, but however much you win by will become a negative reaction modifier for the looser. People FEEL when they have been hustled even if they don't know how.
At the same time, if you lose "honestly", I will allow a "Gambling Skill Check" to cheat it to a break-even. If you fail the skill check, you get caught cheating.

Fishing for information ...
OK, you can apply Gambling as a minus to the cash roll and a plus to the streetwise roll for information gathering at the table.
Last edited by atpollard on Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#115 Post by Leitz »

Cool. For the record, this is definitely a place where the PC knows a lot more than the player. :)

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

TRADE

#116 Post by atpollard »

Let's have a very quick PLAYER discussion on Trade.

STATEMENT OF FACT: You will not NEED trade to support yourselves in this game. There will be ample opportunities to gain wealth, limited only by your imagination and desires.

I have included TRADE opportunities up to this point simply because they are part of the Traveller Tradition. Therefore, I wanted to make Trade AVAILABLE to the Characters.

That brings us to two simple questions:

1. Who (if anyone) is interested in their character participating in speculative trade?
2. Do the players want "trade" kept in the "foreground" or would you prefer if it was simply moved into the background as an "automated process" (the ship has a fund that buys and sells with the results reported from time to time without the need for the players to take an active role during the game)?

I don't want to drop trade if players are interested, and I don't want to waste valuable game time on trade if the players are not.

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#117 Post by atpollard »

Urson wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:54 pm I have no opinion about Linux vs. Non- Linux. But I used to work with a guy who was a hardcore Linux evangelist. HE was hard to work with...
That was funny.
I work with an Obama fan that is way too intense for my taste ... I cheer when elections are over because SOMEBODY won, so they can stop arguing about it.

[End Election Fighting ... Bring back the Monarchy in 2024!]
[Harry and Megan for King and Queen of North America!]
;)

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#118 Post by Leitz »

Trade

I've given this some thought over the past couple of weeks, thank you for bringing it up. Diana would financially support the ship's trade ventures, if the PCs chose such a path or if we had a trusted trader aboard. However, she does not want to do it herself.

I do see her as potentially averaging out on the gambling, but would prefer adventure funds to a life of gambling. Her heart and plans are elsewhere.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#119 Post by ffilz »

I'm down with whatever the consensus is on trade. Linkletter is certainly not a businessman but he sees a point to leveraging the money he has for growth to attain other goals. I'm fine with either a more background trade or more foreground if there are players who want to be active in that. If we are more active, Linkletter will use the skills he has to seek opportunities for the ship's company to leverage.

A ship fund would make good sense and we should have some parameters for "buying into the ship's company" and what sort of profit sharing arrangements we will have.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#120 Post by atpollard »

ffilz wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:31 pmA ship fund would make good sense and we should have some parameters for "buying into the ship's company" and what sort of profit sharing arrangements we will have.
A ship’s fund should be kept simple … I suggest Cr 1000 “shares” with people buying as many shares as they want. The more shares people buy, the more funds and the more expensive cargo that gets purchased. The profits just get divided by “shares”, so each Cr 1000 that anyone invests earns the same profit.

The group can decide how new people buy into the BOAT itself, but buying “shares” in the Trade Venture is a simple matter (so is withdrawing your shares in the trade if you need the cash for something else).

As an aside, anyone with more than Cr 10,000 in the bank may want to set up an “investment” that will take the money out of the game and pay them a regular dividend from it (about 1% per cycle) … like getting a pension.

Return to “Wild West Waterworld (Classic Traveller)”