What is "Powered by the Apocalypse"? (and nevers)

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

What is "Powered by the Apocalypse"? (and nevers)

#1 Post by tibbius »

This is terminology that bounces around on some other forums in the Web.

It references a game called Apocalypse World, which is like a wandering-the-wastelands-after-a-catastrophe themed game.

Specifically, it references two design concepts from that game: Playbooks and graduated success mechanics.

Playbooks are basically character classes, where each playbook gives some unique "Moves" that can only be attempted by the player with that playbook. Graduated success is in the vein of "yes and / yes / yes, but / no!" where the result is determined by 2d6 (12+ yes and, 10-11 yes, 7-9 yes but, 6- no).

Games that are PbtA leverage one or both of these design concepts. Some examples are Dungeon World (big thick tome) and its counterpart World of Dungeons (3 pages).

This all is a sneaky way of introducing something for free (you could pay for it if you like it enough: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/323192/nevers). Screenshots follow.
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: What is "Powered by the Apocalypse"? (and nevers)

#2 Post by tibbius »

nevers_001.png
nevers_001.png (17.97 KiB) Viewed 1134 times
nevers_002.png
nevers_002.png (88.21 KiB) Viewed 1134 times
nevers_003.png
nevers_003.png (89.06 KiB) Viewed 1134 times
nevers_004.png
nevers_004.png (105.08 KiB) Viewed 1134 times
nevers_005.png
nevers_005.png (105.25 KiB) Viewed 1134 times
nevers_006.png
nevers_006.png (100.83 KiB) Viewed 1134 times
nevers_007.png
nevers_007.png (95.84 KiB) Viewed 1134 times
nevers_008.png
nevers_008.png (91.57 KiB) Viewed 1134 times
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: What is "Powered by the Apocalypse"? (and nevers)

#3 Post by tibbius »

Just as a point of interest ... there are 7140 different types of character that can be generated with the selection of three Never Fails from the list of 36, multiplied by 18 for the selection of a Never Win from that list. So, something on the order of 128,000 potential unique character types.

https://www.calculatorsoup.com/calculat ... tion=solve
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Return to “RPG theory”