Action Thread (Year 1153, Day 107) KEEPERS & CLAN

atpollard
atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Action Thread (Year 1153, Day 107) KEEPERS & CLAN

#1 Post by atpollard »

Year 1153, Day 107: 2:30 PM [Edge of Woods]

Edralt Vedrigan, the human Paladin had introduced himself to Fergle ‘Fergie’ McGregor, a human Fighter and fellow hater of Evil. Bogarde, the half-Orc Fighter and Priest of Saint Cuthbert had taken the measure of Fergie and liked what he saw. Thus it came to pass that McGregor accepted the company of the two KEEPERS OF THE LIGHT and joined them on their journey to an old Ruin to re-establish it as a KEEPER outpost from which to wage covert war on the forces of Evil. The time for defense was over and the forces of Good were about to go on the offensive.

As the forest yielded to a great open meadow covered in flowering grasses, you caught your first sight of the ruin about 900 yards NW ahead of you. It was hard to make out details at this distance, but you could tell that the second level was destroyed, but at least part of the ground floor remained.

Bogarde sensed something and abruptly stopped. He could feel it nearby, calling out to him. He stumbled around the tall grass searching the ground for the source of the feeling. Then he found it … it was tangled among the roots of a clump of grass near a patch of cloth and a few bone fragments. Bogarde carefully lifted the object and reverently brushed the dirt from its tarnished surface. It was a silver Starburst Holy Symbol. Once the property of a 6th to 8th level Priest of St Cuthbert. One that likely gave their life on this spot in the Great War. The ground you were standing on was hallowed ground … consecrated with their blood.

Unsure what the half-Orc was searching for, Fergie had joined in the search of the field for … whatever he might find. Bones, bits of old rotting cloth, moldy leather and rusty iron seemed everywhere. A glint of gold caught his eye and he located something buried in the soft rich earth. Extracting it revealed a silver dagger with a brass crossguard and a guilt pommel. The leather grip was rotting to the point of crumbling and falling off in chunks, but all of the metal seemed in excellent condition. With a new leather grip, it would be as good as new. [Item 103]
"welcoming humbly His light and proudly His darkness" - e.e. cummings

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: Action Thread (Year 1153, Day 107) KEEPERS & CLAN

#2 Post by atpollard »

Year 1153, Day 107: 2:30 PM [Herd North of Ruin]

When you first spotted it, the old ruin in the clearing held little interest to the Halfling Druid. However, your interest was piqued when you spotted three young Halflings guarding a small herd of goats in the lush fields.

Sebastian and Ajax approached from the north. You found yourself speaking with the Milne siblings. Catherine, a young lady wearing Leather Armor with a Morningstar at her belt, Ronnie, a young man with Leather Armor, a shield and a sling at the ready, and Ben, a curious child. They reacted to your arrival with curiosity and surprise, but showed no sign of anger, fear or mistrust.

“Why are you riding a bear?” blurted out Ben even before introductions had been completed and you had told them your name. His sister attempted to ‘shhh’ him.

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#3 Post by atpollard »

Year 1153, Day 107: 2:30 PM [Inside the Ruin]

Aari finished dressing the meat and had the Hide coated with brains to tan it. Next would come the hard work of stretching and breaking the drying leather to make it soft.

Grakluse peaked through the door into room #17. You were able to see the old cots and chests from the abandoned barracks, together with the tangle of beams collapsed from the upper level. An area that might be a nest was visible, but the creature appeared to be in the moat at this time.

Phaeus led the expedition into the Kitchen (#16). A large water barrel and a work table were immediately recovered. There were many useful shelves, but the room needed to be cleared of moldy foodstuff before they could be used. The ceiling contained several holes that could be patched with some difficulty. The following useful items were recovered from the search of the Kitchen:
5 side plates
7 soup bowls
1 cast iron pan
2 casserole dishes with lids
Set of 3 steel bowls
Soup ladle
Pasta fork
Vegetable peeler

About that time, Florentin, the Elven Tailor entered “Sorry to disturb you, but there are three mounted knights in heavy armor approaching from the southeast.”
Last edited by atpollard on Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Rex »

Aari

Upon hearing of approaching knights Aari grabs his weapons and heads for a elevated position where he can see the approaching knights and if need be use his bow.

NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#5 Post by NJWilliam »

Sebastian
”Why are you riding a bear?” blurted out Ben even before introductions had been completed and you had told them your name. His sister attempted to ‘shhh’ him.
Sebastian slides off of Ajax, trying to be as unassuming as possible when dismounting a bear, and smiles at Catherine, “Oh, it’s quite alright, entirely.”
He turns an even broader smile to Ben “You know, I’ve asked myself that very same question, quite a lot. I’ve decided that mostly, it’s because he let’s me. I call him Ajax.”

With a glance to the goats, he adds, “I see you care for some friends of your own. Do any of them let you ride them?”

Sebastian will carefully gauge Ajax’s reaction to the other halflings, and will keep him placated as necessary. If he is confident that Ajax is, and will be, friendly with the young halfling, he will allow Ben to approach if he wants, otherwise he will make sure he stays at a safe distance. Likewise for the goats and Ajax . . .
Sebastian, A Candle in the Darkness
Ulrich, Tales of The Troll Company
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers
Hakon Geirmundarson, Pawns of the North Wind
Jameson Rowan, Silverband
Disston Symonds, Sigma Chronos

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Year 1153, Day 107: 3:00 PM

#6 Post by atpollard »

Rex wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:41 amUpon hearing of approaching knights Aari grabs his weapons and heads for a elevated position where he can see the approaching knights and if need be use his bow.
Year 1153, Day 107: 3:00 PM [South of the Ruin]

Aari scanned the meadow from the battlements atop the wall for the approaching knights. A knight in banded mail armor and an unmarked shield towered above the grass from the back of the horse he rode. He appeared to be keeping watch in all directions, but his gaze constantly returned to the ruins. Down in the core of your being, you knew that he was coming to the ruins.

A second horse stood near him with a riderless saddle and contently ate the lush grass. Near the horse, a second knight in splint mail armor was searching for something among the grass.

A short distance away, a swordsman appeared to have found something and was cleaning the dirt off of whatever he had dug out of the mud.

The second knight soon remounted and all three proceeded straight towards the ruin. As they approached the main entrance, the Alpha Male Wolf watched from the opening in the wall, but made no move to attack them. As the trio came near, Aari could clearly see that two were human ... the Knight with the shield and the unmounted Swordsman ... but the second knight was larger than a man, possibly a Trollkin.

At the Pond of the Giant Frogs, the Frogs made no move to attack the trio and they walked right up to the edge of the drawbridge and dismounted.

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Year 1153, Day 107: 2:40 PM

#7 Post by atpollard »

Year 1153, Day 107: 2:40 PM [Herd North of Ruin]

“Do any of them let you ride them?” said Sebastian to Ben.

Ben responded with a grin “They might, but Mom sure wouldn’t.” he glanced over at Catherine.

“Don’t think Papa Robbie would consider that proper behavior either.” said Ronnie.

Ajax seemed neutral towards the other Halflings, ready to return friendly with friendly and aggression with aggression. Sebastian sensed the bear actually displaying protective indicators towards the goats much like the instincts of a “sheep dog”.

With Catherine’s permission and under Sebastian’s close supervision, Ben came forward to pet Ajax and scratch that place on his back that he can’t reach. Ben was rewarded with a growling sigh and a lick from Ajax

Catherine insisted that Sebastian return to the ruins with them to meet Robbie, her father, and the rest of the Clan. “Surely you would prefer a home cooked meal with company to another night of rations over a campfire alone?”
  • Robbie Milne (male halfling age 93 [55]): AC 8 (leather), Mv 8"; Goat Herder: FTR 0 (5 hp); AL NG; S12:I9:W14:D12:Co14:Ch13; (hand axe): THACO 20, 1 att @ D6
  • Catherine Milne (female halfling age 59 [35]): AC 8 (leather), Mv 8"; Goat Herder: FTR 0 (6 hp); AL NG; S10:I6:W9:D16:Co10:Ch5; (morning star): THACO 20, 1 att @ D8; NOTE: daughter of Robbie
  • Ronnie Milne (male halfling age 46 [27]): AC 7 (leather & shield), Mv 8"; Goat Herder: FTR 0 (3 hp); AL NG; S9:I12:W11:D8:Co10:Ch13; (sling stone): THACO 20, 1 att @ D6 [Range 40/80/120]; NOTE: son of Robbie & Alana
  • Ben Milne (male halfling age 19 [11]): AC 10 (none), Mv 0"; Goat Herder: Lvl 0 (1 hp); AL NG; S9:I4:W8:D6:Co11:Ch9; (thrown stone): THACO 20, 1 att @ D2 [Range 10/20/30]; NOTE: son of Catherine
  • [herd of 7 male and 14 female Goats]

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Rex »

Aari

Aari turns to the others. "Be ready. 3 knights coming in, 2 men and one bigger than any man I have ever seen, maybe a trollkin. If it turns to a fight, fall back and hold the entry to the living quarters and I will try and pick them off from the wall."

thenewflesh
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#9 Post by thenewflesh »

Father Hadrian had spent some time with the wolf, feeding him bits of raccoon and teaching him the trick "Guard". On hearing of the new arrivals, he gathers what fighters he can and brings them with him to the gate.

He greets the new arrivals at the gate, shield in hand but sword sheathed. He is just a little bit back from the broken down door, so that only one can attack him at a time if it comes to that. "Greetings, friends. What brings you here?"

Apart from Aari, is anybody else with me?

kruk
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#10 Post by kruk »

OCC: Sorry for not posting the last couple days. I usually post daily
Edralt Vedrigan, the human Paladin had introduced himself to Fergle ‘Fergie’ McGregor, a human Fighter and fellow hater of Evil. Bogarde, the half-Orc Fighter and Priest of Saint Cuthbert had taken the measure of Fergie and liked what he saw. Thus it came to pass that McGregor accepted the company of the two KEEPERS OF THE LIGHT and joined them on their journey to an old Ruin to re-establish it as a KEEPER outpost from which to wage covert war on the forces of Evil.
Prior to the three horsemen approaching...

Hello all. I was offered by Bogarde an invitation to join your group. I have accepted. My farming days are over as my older brother will take of the farm from my father after he can no longer do it. I've always had the urge to adventure. Here is my chance. He greets each member with a firm handshake and looks each person in the eye, nodding to them with respect. He then looks around the keep with the rest of the party

After hearing of three armed figures approaching on horseback the fighter moves up to the cleric's right side as the cleric greets the three newcomers.

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#11 Post by atpollard »

kruk wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:03 am OCC: Sorry for not posting the last couple days. I usually post daily
Edralt Vedrigan, the human Paladin had introduced himself to Fergle ‘Fergie’ McGregor, a human Fighter and fellow hater of Evil. Bogarde, the half-Orc Fighter and Priest of Saint Cuthbert had taken the measure of Fergie and liked what he saw. Thus it came to pass that McGregor accepted the company of the two KEEPERS OF THE LIGHT and joined them on their journey to an old Ruin to re-establish it as a KEEPER outpost from which to wage covert war on the forces of Evil.
Prior to the three horsemen approaching...

Hello all. I was offered by Bogarde an invitation to join your group. I have accepted. My farming days are over as my older brother will take of the farm from my father after he can no longer do it. I've always had the urge to adventure. Here is my chance. He greets each member with a firm handshake and looks each person in the eye, nodding to them with respect. He then looks around the keep with the rest of the party

After hearing of three armed figures approaching on horseback the fighter moves up to the cleric's right side as the cleric greets the three newcomers.
Sorry for the confusion, but YOU are one of the three Knights approaching.
I am just trying to bring everyone together at the ruin of the Keep.
Last edited by atpollard on Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#12 Post by NJWilliam »

Sebastian, halfling druid
Catherine insisted that Sebastian return to the ruins with them to meet Robbie, her father, and the rest of the Clan. “Surely you would prefer a home cooked meal with company to another night of rations over a campfire alone?”
“Miss Catherine, that’s very kind of you, and not something I could possibly turn down.
“I think it might be best that I be on foot. It seems Ajax is feeling protective of your flock of goats, you’ve nothing to fear from him for their safety.”

Turning back to Ben, Sebastian asks, ’Have you ever met a beaver?” as he calls Igor over to him.
Sebastian, A Candle in the Darkness
Ulrich, Tales of The Troll Company
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers
Hakon Geirmundarson, Pawns of the North Wind
Jameson Rowan, Silverband
Disston Symonds, Sigma Chronos

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Dram »

Grakluse searches for Father Hadrian to his in the old barracks area. He was going ask if he had already scouted that area. When he saw the 4 new guests. He waits for the Hadrian to finish his introductions. I am
Grakluse, a wizard by trade. Glad to meet you all.
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#14 Post by Bluetongue »

Bogarde

Approaches the clearing in full view of the ruin. He 'tuts' under his breath. The restoration of the former stronghold looks a daunting task.

He gets to a longbow shot distance away and halts. "It seems we be uninvited guests. Look smoke rising from some chimney and movement around the gates."

He surveys the scene then dismounts as he reaches the drawbridge. He raises a hand in a peaceful way.

"This stronghold has seen better days ... as have we all. It belonged to templar orders during the Long War. He takes his helmet off and walks to the edge of the drawbridge, eyeing the man behind the shield and the archer on the wall. He gesticulates at the duo behind him.

"Justiciar Edralt has come with a covenanted vow to rebuild this stronghold and I walk under the authority of St Cuthbert. This man is Ferguson, recently liberated from the chains of Moloch. Behind us in the forest lie trollkin and cultists. Dead, but more will come."

You can tell diplomacy is not really his thing.
"Now it is not my place or intention to cause trouble. I can see you are nervous in the presence of a trio of warriors and rightly so and as your elf-kin watchman will have observed, I at least carry half blood of orcs.

But we come in peace and good faith. Perhaps fate would have us prosper together."

He waits for a response from the gate guard.

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Year 1153, Day 107: 3:30 PM

#15 Post by atpollard »

Year 1153, Day 107: 3:30 PM [Courtyard]

(Pardon the DM thumb on the scale, I am just gathering the whole group together so we can move forward.)

Bogarde, the half-Trollkin Warrior/Priest of St. Cuthbert, Edralt Vedrigan, the Paladin of Ukko, and Fergle ‘Fergie’ McGregor, the farmer turned swordsman, crossed the drawbridge but left their mounts outside. (The drawbridge was too badly rotted to safely support the weight of a horse.)

They were greeted by Father Hadrian, Priest of Mielikki, Aari the human Archer Ranger, a persuasive man named Phaeus, and an Elven mage named Grakluse Longleaf who all self-identified as belonging to a band of brothers called the CLAN.

Introductions were interrupted as the other members of the CLAN poured from the double doors of the building into the courtyard. It was an eclectic gathering of Halflings, Gnomes, Humans Elves and Dwarves. Adding to the excitement of meeting the strange new arrivals, the Halflings were anxious to introduce everyone to their guest …

Sebastian, a halfling Druid of Mielikki limped down the steps surrounded by the excited Milne clan and being followed by a Beaver being fussed over by Ben and Nieve, the youngest of the Miline children.

The group can now make plans and talk. You have two weeks of game time before the next significant encounter comes to you, so let me know how you want to spend that time. I will jump ahead in time to the interesting parts once I know your plans.

Information for Bogarde only:
  1. There is a secret stair hidden in the pantry (#13 on the map) that leads down to the barracks and armory of the old KEEPER outpost hidden beneath the castle.
  2. There is a secret stair under the main stair (#8 on the map) that leads down to the old Priest’s Quarters and a Chapel. Hidden in the Chapel is a secret door and a ladder down to the catacombs where the fallen heroes were laid to rest.
  3. There are TRAPS to protect these spaces, but you know how to avoid setting them off.
This information was provided by the KEEPERS from their old records. You will need to verify the condition of the spaces. Whether you keep this information or share it (and when) is up to you.

The PALADIN has been placed on NPC status due to player abandonment … so don’t expect him to lead. :)
[NPC] Edralt Vedrigan (Human Male): AC 4 (chain and shield); Move 8”; PALADIN 2; hp 20; S15:I9:W13:D11:Co11:Ch17; AL LG
(bastard sword / horseman’s mace): THACO 19, 1 att @ D6
(dagger): THACO 19, 2 att @ D4
NOTE: Detect Evil 60', Saving throws +2, Immunity to disease, Lay hands (2 hp/lvl), Cure disease (1x/week), Protection from evil (1' radius)

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Rex »

Aari

"I am Aari, Ranger of Mielikki. All those who oppose Evil are welcome here, even half Trollkin. Lets break bread and here your tale."

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Stirling »

Phaeus

"We have a lot of rebuilding here as you can see and space is at a premium. I would suggest you jump the moat else you mounts get eaten by the wolves."

The rogue initially gripes about 'three more mouths to feed' but then looking at the size of these warriors, maybe rebuilding will go quicker with their labour.

Suggests: move wolves to tower or drive off.
Clean out West Wing.
Fix main gate.

kruk
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#18 Post by kruk »

Sorry for the confusion, but YOU are one of the three Knights approaching.
I am just trying to bring everyone together at the ruin of the Keep.

sorry about that :lol: ... I got it now

The fighter listens to the conversation and waits, deciding to go wherever the other two members of his party decide to go.
Last edited by kruk on Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#19 Post by Bluetongue »

Bogarde

Will look to stable the horses in the courtyard somehow, maybe using a main gate to strengthen the drawbridge to gain access. With bears, wolves and alligators nearby, the horses will be too tempting a target.

Then he will get to know the Clan leaders and spend a couple of days helping to clear each wing of the main ruin. Once he can see progress and feels a level of trust (at least he hasn't been killed in his sleep), he will take a few of the Clan (assume party characters who wish to explore) and venture into the pantry area.

He will keep further knowledge secret for now.

thenewflesh
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#20 Post by thenewflesh »

Father Hadrian greets all the new guests. "You are all welcome under our meager roof."

That evening, while still suffused with the power of Mielikki, he speaks to the old wolf (who he, with the wolf's permission, names Thelor) once more, asks about the wolves' relationship with the hawks and other animals around here. He asks about the environs. Where do the wolves hunt, and what do they hunt? What is Thelor's relationship with the pack?

After the conversation, he speaks with the others: tomorrow, he says, he will visit the hawks and see whether he can broker some agreement.

Return to “A Candle in the Darkness (1e)”