Chapter 2b - A Sloop in the Sea

Marullus
Samwell Turleton
Ranger
Ranger

Re: Chapter 2b - A Sloop in the Sea

#21 Post by Samwell Turleton »

Olga Snorri

A mouse smelling the cheese creeps along the rail of the ship, it’s nose high in the air twitching. It rubs its paws together eager for a taste.

The mist stretches from the kobold to the railing and curls behind the mouse in view of the kobold and Hinrick.

It drifts silently to the twitching nose. The twitching slows. The twitching stops.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by Marullus »

The creeping mist strangles a mouse. Hinrick offers some cheese. The waves lap against the sides of the sloop, too far from land for any chance of escape. The kobold tosses the smelly cheese over the side rail and hisses at the halfling. "Ta nar munkhag bögööd ükhekh ayuultai," it speaks in its hissing, caustic language. It continues, known to Hinrick's ears, then thrusts a fist into the air, three fingers extended, two folded on his palm.
"You are fools and doomed to die. Your city is the dwelling place of the great mated pair, the Red Duke and Dutchess, who are yet but the heralds of the Great Queen. Your cities will all fall and feed Her hoard. You will be chattel for us, for the empire. Her glory be praised!"

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#23 Post by greyarea »

Reuter says, Anyone understand what this guys is saying? Doesn't sound nice, that's for sure. I wanna kick him. Can I kick him?

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by AleBelly »

Odlo shudders as he watches the mist destroy the mouse. He looks at Olga warily.
greyarea wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:18 pm Reuter says, Anyone understand what this guys is saying? Doesn't sound nice, that's for sure. I wanna kick him. Can I kick him?
Odlo, halfling wanderer

"If you get to kick it, I get to stab it" replies Odlo. He walks towards the kobold, brandishing his longknife and axe.

Samwell Turleton
Ranger
Ranger

#25 Post by Samwell Turleton »

Olga Snorri

“Keep it - it may be of use to us still”, Olga says as the two crew members talk about taking their grief and frustrations out on the creature.

“Lock it in a chest in the cabin, wherever you all will have me sleep”

Samwell Turleton
Ranger
Ranger

#26 Post by Samwell Turleton »

Hannu Survage

Feet dangling out the sides of the hammock Hannu sleeps. The sound of his snoring rattles around the cabin.

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by ybn1197 »

greyarea wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:18 pm Reuter says, Anyone understand what this guys is saying? Doesn't sound nice, that's for sure. I wanna kick him. Can I kick him?
"I understood him," Henrick says feeling a little upset. He was just standing there talking to the kobold and was already over-looked. Stiffening up a little Henrick continues, "Unfortunately he is not willing to offer any valuable information right now. He needs a little more persuading. Apparently he believes in the cults programming of a Red Duke and a Red Duchess taking over the city and a Great Queen conquering everything. My guess is they intend to either continue raiding or have a larger force and are raiding multiple cities at once."

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by AleBelly »

Odlo, halfling warrior
ybn1197 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:59 pm
"I understood him," Henrick says feeling a little upset. He was just standing there talking to the kobold and was already over-looked. Stiffening up a little Henrick continues, "Unfortunately he is not willing to offer any valuable information right now. He needs a little more persuading. Apparently he believes in the cults programming of a Red Duke and a Red Duchess taking over the city and a Great Queen conquering everything. My guess is they intend to either continue raiding or have a larger force and are raiding multiple cities at once."
"Well done, Hinrick. He seems very enthusiastic about the Duke, Duchess, and Queen. Can you get him to talk more about them?"

Odlo stands waiting, thankful that this interaction distracts him from his thoughts.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by AleBelly »

Onnekas, elven wanderer

Onnekas watches the kobold interaction with indifference. He is anxious to get to land. "Olga, to which port do we sail? I have said my piece..."

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by ybn1197 »

AleBelly wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:11 pm Odlo, halfling warrior

"Well done, Hinrick. He seems very enthusiastic about the Duke, Duchess, and Queen. Can you get him to talk more about them?"

Odlo stands waiting, thankful that this interaction distracts him from his thoughts.
Happy to be considered an integral part of the group, Hinrick smiles. "I can try," he says cheerfully.
"Who is your Great Queen? What does she want? Who are your Red Duke and Duchess? Is there going to be one in every city you conquer?"

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#31 Post by greyarea »

If kicking is helpful, Reuter tells Odlo, I can kick him. Often. Hard.

Otherwise, I'd best be helping sail this thing. Wherever the destination.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by Marullus »

Hinrick's eyes watch the cheese sail over the gunwale. He continues his calm discussion with the slightly-smaller lizard man. The kobold narrows his reptillian eyes. His tone is mocking, no matter the language.
"You do not see the Red Duke and Dutchess? Did you not flee in terror before their majesty and might? Did you not feel their firy breath and watch its glorious destruction? Fools, all of you." As you press your questions, he gets tight-lipped. "You are ignorant and shall remain so."
I'm using a "let it ride" rule. The previous roll's results stands until you change the situation enough to merit a new roll. Someone needs an action to get a reroll, same guidelines as above.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by AleBelly »

Odlo, halfling wanderer

Odlo doesn't need to understand the captive's language to know it's being uncooperative. "Yeah, give it a kick, Reuter. It's no help to us. I say we bind its hands and feet and throw it overboard. It deserves far worse. A slow, painful death for the murders it's committed or abetted. But we're not savages."

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#34 Post by greyarea »

Reuter kicks the thing good and hard, intending to subdue, not kill. attack [1d20] = 17

He suggests, We could keel-haul him. I was once... I mean, I knew a guy who was keel-hauled once. He still had fight in him, but he knew he was beat.

He helps sail the ship, getting to a duty spot, but will gladly help with the kobold if needed.

Samwell Turleton
Ranger
Ranger

#35 Post by Samwell Turleton »

Olga Snorri

“I think we sail to Gnupfell and then on to Holmr. I believe we will be needing to tell of what we have seen in Kaerhavn and see if we can raise a resistance. We need the support of all who may give it”

Olga has expressed her interest to keep the kobold alive and locked in a chest and will let the crew determine its fate at this point.

OOC: Could anyone of our group have knowledge of those areas?

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#36 Post by ybn1197 »

Hinnrick shakes his head and gives the kobold a concerned look. "I'm patient and trying to work with you. My companions, however, aren't as you now know. He," Hinnrick indicates Odlo, "said, '"Yeah, give it a kick. It's no help to us. I say we bind its hands and feet and throw it overboard. It deserves far worse.' The other one said 'We could keel-haul him.' Now I'm losing my patience and I'm very well looking at letting them do just that. There is no else here who even understands you. You need to give me something that will calm them down. Its up to you."

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by Marullus »

Odlo tells Reuter to kick the kobold, and Reuter obliges. Hinrick tries to continue to negotiate.

No roll provided, so here is one:
Reuter: Intimidation by Strength [1d20] = 15

With a boot to the ribs knocking the kobold against the gunwale, it takes a moment for him to catch his breath. It hisses, seething with anger, eyes flashing with challenge.
"I have faced much worse than your meager boots, and it is you who will know fear. My pain is an offering to the Great Dragon Queen, who's many heads will consume you for your insolence! Her power can reach you despite her current confinement, and when we release her you will suffer above all!"
He thrusts his hand out at you defiantly, once again extending three fingers, tucking two within.

OOC: Could anyone of our group have knowledge of those areas?
Olga states a course of sail to Gnupfell and then on to Holmr. Both are in the next kingdom to the south, the closest foreign land. The pair of sailors know that the navy secures the sea at Holmr so that ports south of it are safer, but it is a militant place with less trade since the Navy took over its shipyards. It is a major port for coal barges but not fine goods. Gnupfell is mostly local fishermen but is up-and-coming, usually passed over by larger ships but with modest trade companies courting smaller vessels to its two deep-water piers.

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by ybn1197 »

Hinnrick tells the others what the kobold said and shakes his head. I fear he may be too indoctrinated into their cult. I hate to say it, but maybe confining him for a day or two will put him into a better mood for talking to us.

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#39 Post by greyarea »

Reuter shows the kobold his thumb and then helps with the sailing. He smirks to a companion, That sure felt good.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#40 Post by AleBelly »

Samwell Turleton wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:05 am Olga Snorri

“I think we sail to Gnupfell and then on to Holmr. I believe we will be needing to tell of what we have seen in Kaerhavn and see if we can raise a resistance. We need the support of all who may give it”
Onnekas nods thoughtfully at Olga's suggestion. "Yes. Best to have the option of getting onto solid ground rapidly. And perhaps we can fetch a good price for the vessel. Gnupfell as a first stop it is."

The elf shows little interest in the kobold.

Return to “The Fires of Wrath (DCC)”