Cycle 1063 (Winter): Day 3

atpollard
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Cycle 1063 (Winter): Day 3

#41 Post by Zhym »

"Excellent work, Doctor," Routeledge tells his colleague. "Now let's see if we can make this more than an ornamental appendage."

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Cycle 1063 (Winter): Day 3: Shift 2: Hour 1:30

#42 Post by atpollard »

Jacques Bonnet, Remy Hernandez, Josephine Baxter-Smith (Grogg & Tankard)
Cycle 1063 (Winter): Day 3: Shift 2: Hour 1:30 [Hamlet of Gwynedd: 45N,25W]

Gottard heeded the advice from Jacques. Personally, he wanted a few more answers himself before he just turned the man that tried to burn him out and hurt his friend Urs over to someone else. Before you parted ways Gottard informed you that the injured “guest” checked in under the name Gauthier Lemaître about five weeks ago.

Josephine had taken a nap and was feeling much better. When Jacques and Remy entered, she suggested that she would like to go downstairs and get some breakfast. She was feeling better and had no intention of being locked in a room for days.

Sitting at one of the tables in the main hall, you had coffee and bread on the table before you and were waiting for your ordered food to arrive. The spot was private enough to talk without being overheard yet allowed you to see what was going on.

As she sipped her coffee, Jo recognized Merik Andovan – the teenage boy with a pocket knife from Andovan Dry Goods – sitting at one of the tables playing cards with some rough looking men. The coins on the table before them appeared to be copper and the men were doing most of the talking among themselves while the boy listened … spellbound.
LINK TO LAST POST WITH THE BOY

Jacques had been working on deciphering the French Letters and had uncovered part of the code …

“xxxxxxx CLAIM THE BOOK WILL xx xx YOUR xxxx SOON. ARANGEMENTS HAVE BEEN xxxx TO xxxx THE SHIP. IT xxxx xxx xxxx INTO xxxxxxx HANDS. KEEP EYES xxx xxxx xxxx. xxxx RECOVER THAT BOOK.”

One of the letters retains a faint image from the wax seal that once closed it. The “official government seal” used on diplomatic documents is three fleur-de-lis (for "Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité"). This letter once contained a seal with a single large fleur-de-lis. While Jacques has never been particularly interested in French Politics, he is not completely ignorant of it either. That is the seal of the Royalists, a faction dedicated to the reestablishment of the French Monarchy and headed by French nobility and their spy networks. One directly confronts the Royalists only at great personal risk.

Additional hours could decipher more of the message, but you already had a great deal of it.
"welcoming humbly His light and proudly His darkness" - e.e. cummings

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Cycle 1063 (Winter): Day 3: Shift 2: Hour 2:00

#43 Post by atpollard »

Mercutio Routledge & Samuel Linkletter (Grogg & Tankard)
Cycle 1063 (Winter): Day 3: Shift 2: Hour 2:00 [Hamlet of Gwynedd: 45N,25W]

"Excellent work, Doctor," Routeledge tells his colleague. "Now let's see if we can make this more than an ornamental appendage."

Work continued to repair the patient’s nerves and small tendons. Mercutio focused on the surgical repairs while Samuel monitored the condition of the patient. Late in the second hour of surgery, Samuel pulled the plug on the work. The man was becoming weaker much faster than had been expected. After a brief consultation, both doctors agreed to allow just 15 more minutes and then Samuel would start to withdraw the anesthesia as Mercutio closed the wounds.

As Dr Linkletter, closely watching the clock and the patient’s breathing, called “Time”, both men were grinning. Dr Routledge had made remarkable progress in the final burst and there was a good chance that the patient would recover the use of his hand. The next 24 hours would reveal the results.
Just some quick and dirty game mechanics for anyone interested. It was a HARD Task requiring a 10+ (on 2d6) to succeed. Your Skill-3 merely offset the negative conditions you were working under. A roll of <6 indicated failure and a roll of 10+ indicated success. A roll of 6-7 indicated a setback, but you can continue and a roll of 8-9 indicated progress and you can continue. Roll once per hour. Since there were two doctor/surgeons, I simply allowed two rolls each hour so either doctor could succeed. Here are the results …

Hour 8-1:
Mercutio Routledge (4)
Samuel Linkletter (8)
restore blood flow (high INT)

Hour 1-2:
Mercutio Routledge (11)
Samuel Linkletter (2)
repair nerve damage to restore function (high EDU)

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#44 Post by Zhym »

The operation completed, Doc Routledge steps back and wipes his brow. "My mechanical appendage is quite handy—if you'll pardon the pun," he says, "but I wouldn't wish it on anyone as a mandatory replacement for their hand."

He takes a close look at his patient again. "I wonder if this was one of the men who accosted me the other night?" he asks. "If so, do you suppose he would appreciate the irony of our efforts to restore a hand that, in some cultures, would be the price of getting caught stealing?"

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#45 Post by ffilz »

Well then perhaps he will still have a functional hand after his punishment, because the hand lost during capture would not suffice for the punishment.

[doc=]Linkletter may be a doctor, but he grew up near the bottom of the ladder and is fully aware of punishments and they are very much a part of his culture.[/doc]
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#46 Post by Urson »

Jo
Jo has been a bit clumsy, working with one arm in a sling, but she has managed a decent breakfast. She takes her coffee and wanders over to watch the card game. A few things: Is the boy winning, losing, or holding his own? Is he cheating? (possibly even hustling the others?) What is the topic of conversation?

After a few minutes observation, Jo will speak to Merik. I apologize for the interruption, but I would like to speak with you for a few minutes. Could I borrow you from the game?
FA FO

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#47 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Jacques

"Interesting. It appears that they are looking for a book." He notes this with obvious hints to the book the group had found and first attached Jacques to the group. "The Royalists are not to be trifled with. They have great wealth and zeal to regain power. I think I need to do some more research."

His mind raced with possibilities as he watches Jo interrupt a card game.

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#48 Post by atpollard »

Jacques Bonnet, Remy Hernandez, Mercutio Routledge, Samuel Linkletter, Josephine Baxter-Smith (Grogg & Tankard)
Cycle 1063 (Winter): Day 3: Shift 2: Hour 2:00 [Hamlet of Gwynedd: 45N,25W]

Jo moves in to observe the boy and the card game. Four players and about a hundred copper cents on the table … just about a Credit all combined. This was the extreme opposite end of “high-stakes” cards. These men were just playing to pass the time while they talked. Merik seemed close to holding his own with about twenty cents in front of him. As Jo eavesdropped, the men seemed to be sharing stories about their worst attacks. A large bearded man served on a Vinland Whaler when a creature reached up and snatched a longboat right off the deck and smashed it against a mast. He showed the gash on his arm caused by one of the flying splinters. A tall, slender man said he was working the “small package” trade on a Separatist Blockade Runner when sharpshooters from a Britannia Warship started taking shots at them in the dark and shot him thru and thru. He lifted his shirt to reveal the scar on his abdomen.

The third man was a short stocky man with dark hair. ”Sorry Lads, but I’ve got y’all beat. Worst would I ever got happened when I was serving aboard a warship.”

“Please no, not another war story.”
said the large man with a beard.

“No.” said the short man indignantly. “It happened while we were safe in port. I was sharing a bottle of wine with a lovely lady when her husband walked in on the two of us, naked, in their bed.”

“Did he shoot you?” asked Merik “My Pa would’ve shot ya.”

The short man smiled “I think he was about to, but I started pleading with him. I said ‘This is all a mistake. She means nothing to me. I was only looking to pass the time.” He laughed. “That was when the wife broke the wine bottle on the headboard and stabbed me in the buttocks.”

The men at the table roared in laughter.

“I can show you the scar.” Insisted the short man, but the others all declined the offer and admitted his was the worst wound.

As the laughter died down and Merik lost another hand, jo stepped forward “I apologize for the interruption, but I would like to speak with you for a few minutes. Could I borrow you from the game?”

Merik shrugged “OK, I guess”, collected his coppers and followed Josephine.

Jacques had continued working on the code and cracked more of it:

SOURCES CLAIM THE BOOK WILL xx xx YOUR AREA SOON. ARRANGEMENTS HAVE BEEN xxxx TO STOP THE SHIP. IT MUST NOT FALL INTO xxxxxxx HANDS. KEEP EYES AND xxxx OPEN. MUST RECOVER THAT BOOK.”

As Jo led Merik away from the Card Game, she saw the Doctors join Jacques at the table. The prisoner/patient was resting and would sleep for at least 8 hours and be too weak to stand for several days. He and Urs were both resting under guard by Fist.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#49 Post by Urson »

Jo
Josephine supressed an un-ladylike cackle at the short man's story.

When she was able to speak with Merik: Things have gotten much more dangerous since the last time we talked. You hinted that you knew more than you could say, then. I got shot by someone earlier today- she gestures to her injured shoulder, and the sling. You'd be doing me a great service if you tell me what you know...Please?
Jo has never liked women who play up being weak and helpless to get what they want- but she attempts to do exactly that, hoping she can loosen the boy's tongue.
FA FO

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#50 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Jacques

Jacques fills the doctors in on what he's found, and get the update on the patient. "What are the odds that we are talking about the same book? I suggest we head upstairs and examine it."

AsenRG
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#51 Post by AsenRG »

"OK, Monsieur Jacques...and which ship is it that they've made arrangements to sink?", Remy inquired.

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#52 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Jacques

He looks around to make sure nobody is paying attention. "I think they already did so. Recall the ship that our friends were on, and where they found that book." He shakes his head. "In all the excitement and happenings, I never got a chance to translate it."

He stands, glances over at Jo, and addresses those at the table. "I need to see to that now. I will be upstairs, please prevent any assassins from joining me."

AsenRG
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#53 Post by AsenRG »

"Oh. So if their plans have been successful already, what were those two doing here?", Remy wondered.
"And sure enough, Monsieur Jacques. If any assassins come, I'll make sure to deal with them accordingly. Then the doctors could practice sewing on legs, too. And possibly a few hearts, and heads. They seem happy while they practice their magic!"

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Cycle 1063 (Winter): Day 3: Shift 2: Hour 3:00

#54 Post by atpollard »

Jacques Bonnet, Remy Hernandez, Mercutio Routledge, Samuel Linkletter, Josephine Baxter-Smith (Grogg & Tankard)
Cycle 1063 (Winter): Day 3: Shift 2: Hour 3:00 [Hamlet of Gwynedd: 45N,25W]

Josephine
“You'd be doing me a great service if you tell me what you know...Please?” Jo coaxed Merik.

“Aww, you already know” replied the boy as the two of you stood on the porch talking quietly. “Them two strangers what shot you was up to no good. I seen both of them sneakin’ round town.” Merik leaned against the rail and scratched his head “course I never figured them for the violence. That weren’t their style. Them was all about askin questions and lookin in windows and such. I figured them fer casing the town for a robbery or something.”

Jo thanked Merik for the information and assured the concerned boy that she would not mention seeing him here to his parents. As Jo reached the door to head back in …

“Oh, one more thing. They sure talked with Mr. Belsey a lot.” added Merik.

Jacques
Back in the room, Linkletter handed the rough leather waterproof travel bag to Jacques. You unbuckled the straps that held it closed and carefully removed an old leather-bound diary with a blood-stained palm print on the cover. The course pages were covered in French writing and small drawings and diagrams.

The first part of the diary is rather mundane … just the daily thoughts of some loyal courtier with notes about this lady flirting or some nobleman rumored to be involved in a scandal or some visitor demonstrating a new discovery at court. About halfway through, the diary becomes significantly more interesting as it offers daily reports on the noblemen and courtier fleeing ahead of the Army of the Republic. About two thirds through the book, it chronicles … THE DEATH OF THE KING! The Courtier then flees with the queen, the young prince and the uncle of the boy. The remainder of the diary describes how the Duke handed the Crown of Charles the Great to the courtier with instructions to hide it. It chronicles his journey to a secret tower where he hid the crown as instructed and his attempt to make his way back to France. The last passage involves their merchant ship spotting a French Warship on the horizon at sunset. The last quarter of the pages are blank.

As a French Nobleman, Jacques is aware that the Crown of Charlemagne is the symbol of the French Monarchy. It has been missing since the First Revolution (and is one of the reasons the Royalists have failed to regain power). No man can legitimately attempt to claim the throne without that crown and whichever Nobleman possesses that crown IS the King of France … even in exile.

This blood-stained Diary is a map to that Crown, or at least to the Tower where it is hidden.
How do you set a price on the right to rule a nation?
What would governments and organizations do to obtain it?

[If only you had a boat.] ;)

Jo returns to the room “So what did I miss?”

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#55 Post by Urson »

Jo
Jo smiles at the boy- who is, actually, not that much younger than herself. Thank you. You've been a great help.

She stretches up to kiss his forehead, then returns to the others.
FA FO

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#56 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Jacques

As Jacques reads the diary, his eyes get wider and he reads faster and faster, sometimes flipping back a few pages to confirm something, muttering in French all the while. Breathing rapidly, he finally closes it but doesn't put it down. He looks at each of the group in turn and looks around the room, judging the conditions he finds himself in.

He takes a deep breath and speaks. "I see why they would kill for that book. Probably without even knowing for sure what's in it, the mere possibility would entertain killing." He stops, realizing that the others may not grasp the significance.

"How much do you know of French Royalty?" Jacques sets off on a quick tutorial on the Monarchy, the Revolutions, and the Crown.

*after a few minutes of history lessons*

"So you can see how the lost Crown is incredibly important." He pauses and commits: "This book details where the Lost Crown of Charlemagne is." He looks each person in the eye before he continues.

"And I want to go get it."

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#57 Post by Urson »

Jo
Josephine forces herself to listen carefully, despite the fact that History- especially foreign History- bores her worse than 'ladylike' chat over tea and cucumber sandwiches.

I'd say we should make sure the book is secured- and that no one knows we have it.
FA FO

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#58 Post by Zhym »

"We're going to need a ... boat," says Doc Routledge, not sure why he felt a strong urge to add the word "bigger" into that statement.

"I need to monitor this man's convalescence, but after that, I'm all for an adventure."

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#59 Post by Urson »

Jo
Josephine suddenly smiles- the smile of someone who has found a task they can sink their teeth into. Yes, we will- and we have one, if we can get her refloated in time.
FA FO

AsenRG
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#60 Post by AsenRG »

"So we could put you in charge of France, monsieur Jacques? Of course, of course. I'd be a great...what was the word...prime advisor? No, sounds boring. War minister? Leader of your guard? Heh. That would be funny!"

Return to “Wild West Waterworld (Classic Traveller)”