Cycle 1063 (Winter): Day 3

atpollard
atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: Cycle 1063 (Winter): Day 3

#81 Post by atpollard »

Jacques Bonnet, Remy Hernandez, Mercutio Routledge, Samuel Linkletter, Josephine Baxter-Smith (#2 Studley House)
Cycle 1063 (Winter): Day 3: Shift 3: Hour 2:00 [Hamlet of Gwynedd: 45N,25W]

When the party returned to the Bank and expressed interest in an outright purchase of the mortgage, the Banker wasted no time. By Shift 3 of that same day, the papers were drawn up and by two bells, the group was gathered in their new … very messy … home.

Since we are taking care of some Financial Matters at the moment … Here are your expenses:

HOUSE (per person, includes 4% for closing costs) = Cr -3328

Here is an idea of your COST OF LIVING (food, clothing, shelter) based on your SOC (or the SOC that you choose to live at):
  • SOC 2: Cr 13/day = Cr 520/cycle
  • SOC 3: Cr 17/day = Cr 680/cycle
  • SOC 4: Cr 22/day = Cr 880/cycle
  • SOC 5: Cr 29/day = Cr 1,160/cycle
  • SOC 6: Cr 37/day = Cr 1,480/cycle
  • SOC 7: Cr 48/day = Cr 1,920/cycle
  • SOC 8: Cr 63/day = Cr 2,520/cycle
  • SOC 9: Cr 82/day = Cr 3,280/cycle
  • SOC 10: Cr 106/day = Cr 4,240/cycle
  • SOC 11: Cr 138/day = Cr 5,520/cycle
  • SOC 12: Cr 179/day = Cr 7,160/cycle
  • SOC 13: Cr 133/day = Cr 9,320/cycle
  • SOC 14: Cr 303/day = Cr 12,120/cycle
  • SOC 15: Cr 394/day = Cr 15,760/cycle
The cost per day is just for general reference.
The cost per Cycle indicates how much you need to earn each 40 day Cycle to support yourself. If you have the CASH and want to subtract your “Living Expenses” for the Cycle now, then we don’t need to worry about food or clothing or utility bills until next cycle (37 days from now).
"welcoming humbly His light and proudly His darkness" - e.e. cummings

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#82 Post by ffilz »

Ok, Linkletter will be living at SOC 7 (I figure he's used to a decent level of comfort from his shipboard days and currently he has the cash). I don't know if he's had any other significant expenses other than purchasing the coin since we've started. At some point, he will have to replenish his medical supplies. Also, I don't know if he has been paid for any of the medical treatment he's provided (he certainly didn't demand it, but would not reject any payment). I'm going to start tracking my cash in my Google Doc sheet:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/13hF ... sp=sharing
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#83 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Jacques

Jacques gets lost in the papers and books of the house and doesn't speak with anyone for some time.

As the suggestion of splitting the cost of the house and purchasing it before the auction arises, he is of the same mind.

"Well. Here it is. A place of our own. Nice craftmanship, I feel. Did anyone learn what the previous owner did, by the way? That treatise on interrogation piqued my interest." He continues wandering through the house, taking time to try and search the parlor extensively. (room #1).

AsenRG
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#84 Post by AsenRG »

"Interrogations?", Remy asks, confusedly. In his experience, interrogation is a dirty stuff that nobody would waste paper on.
He is also picking random books and marvelling at the pictures...

But he is also completely persuaded that he'd like to have at least a part of this house. Though he wonders why some parts are more polished, and asks a learned-er man for opinion.

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#85 Post by atpollard »

ffilz wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:19 pm Ok, Linkletter will be living at SOC 7 (I figure he's used to a decent level of comfort from his shipboard days and currently he has the cash). I don't know if he's had any other significant expenses other than purchasing the coin since we've started. At some point, he will have to replenish his medical supplies. Also, I don't know if he has been paid for any of the medical treatment he's provided (he certainly didn't demand it, but would not reject any payment). I'm going to start tracking my cash in my Google Doc sheet:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/13hF ... sp=sharing
I like to keep things simple and avoid tracking the small stuff so we will just say that your money earned replaced all the medical supplies you used and kept you fully stocked.

While reading the Google Doc you shared, I was reminded that Linkletter has 10 credits cash and 30 credits in goods from the fishermen at the Landings, included among the 30 credits worth of goods are 2 chickens and 2 sacks of grain. Now you have a home to keep them at. :)

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#86 Post by Urson »

Jo
So if you really have a diving Job, then Jim’s your man. he said with a smile and the only questions that matter … how soon do we go an’ how much does it pay?
Josephine smiles, glad to know there'll be an expert on hand when they start the tricky work of retrieving that boiler. How much is your standard rate?

Once she knows that, she'll offer a danger bonus of 25%.
FA FO

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#87 Post by Zhym »

Doc Routledge visibily recoils when he learns that the treatise is dedicated to the use of machinery in torture and interrogation. It seems like such a perversion of the noble science of steam. Still, he is now part owner in a house—and, even better, its library.

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#88 Post by atpollard »

Josephine

How much is your standard rate? Jo inquired.

200 credits a day with a five day minimum for job that requires travel to the site. So if the ship isn't in town, then that would be 1,000 credits for up to five days plus another 200 credits per additional day. Or I charge 4000 credits for a full Cycle. said Jim.

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Cycle 1063 (Winter): Day 3: Shift 3: Hour 2:00

#89 Post by atpollard »

Jacques Bonnet, Remy Hernandez, Mercutio Routledge, Samuel Linkletter, Josephine Baxter-Smith (#2 Studley House)

Jacques chose to undertake a thorough search of the Parlor (#1). Inside the chests along the walls of the Parlor were more books. Upon closer examination, Jacques was admittedly bored to discover that Mr. Studley kept an exhaustive collection of ship's logs from your grandfather's era. Turning your attention to the notes and drawings on top of one of the chests, it was some sort of hydraulic calculations and construct likely of more interest to Dr Routledge. Finally Jacques stumbled upon a folder of loose notes in one of the desk drawers that caught HIS interest. Those ship's logs were not just a random collection after all. Mr Studley had been tracking the movement and attacks of a certain particular German Privateer from about 450 Cycles (+/- 50 years) ago to locate his secret base of operation. Mr Studley had been searching those logs for clues of the location of a pirate treasure.

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#90 Post by atpollard »

AsenRG wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:35 pmHe is also picking random books and marvelling at the pictures...

Remy thumbed through several books at random.
The first two contained images of water powered machines.
The third contained a color plate of the flag of the Territorio Espana along with drawings of different types of crowns, diagrams of fleet battles and pictures of important people.
The fourth book that you examined contained drawings of clocks and clockworks.

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#91 Post by atpollard »

Doc Routledge spotted an old reference book on Hydraulics with a piece of paper sticking out of it. The paper and marked page caught his interest, so he selected it to read. The paper contained notes on constructing a water-tight box approximately one meter cubed. The page it was saving described an ancient technique for constructing an underwater concrete that would grow continually stronger and harder over time.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#92 Post by Urson »

Jo
200 credits a day with a five day minimum for job that requires travel to the site. So if the ship isn't in town, then that would be 1,000 credits for up to five days plus another 200 credits per additional day. Or I charge 4000 credits for a full Cycle. said Jim.
I've seen the wreck. It shouldn't be that difficult, but we need the job done as soon as possible, so that will add to the danger factor. Let us say 1250 credits for a 5-day engagement. Agreed?
FA FO

AsenRG
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#93 Post by AsenRG »

Remy decided to check the book on Territorio Espana a bit more. Wars are always interesting!
But first, he decided to point that one wizardly doctor to the book with the hydraulics, which he seemed to enjoy.

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#94 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Jacques

"Well, at least we have a good place to hide the book." He remarks with a chuckle. "Hey, Doc! This looks like your kind of stuff. Hydraulic something or other. I think. But look at this...Pirate Treasure! Remy! It looks like we just have adventures to spare today."

Jacques gathers the related notes together for later in-depth investigation. He wants to continue his search of the place and find a good hiding place for the diary. "Is it just me, or does this place scream out for secret hiding places?"

He continues searching room 1, or if he thinks he exhausted it, moves to room 2.

AsenRG
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#95 Post by AsenRG »

"Why, yes,monsieur Jacques, it's quite possible! It's got so many books, you can hide stuff between them. Or behind them. Even diamonds might fit behind some of the smaller books... and some of those ornaments might even open into secret tunnels! I've heard about something like this from a singer..."
Singers were, in his village, also storytellers. And they sometimes told about foreign, far places.

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#96 Post by atpollard »

Cycle 1063 (Winter): Day 3: Shift 3: Hour 3:00 [Hamlet of Gwynedd: 45N,25W]

Josephine closed the deal and hired Big Jim as a diver for Cr 1250 for 5 days work. Jim was ready to get started as soon as you were and only needed an hour’s notice to gather his suit and be ready to go. Jim would wait to hear from you at the Drydock and continue to pick up day work until you were ready to start.

Jo arrived at the house she was part owner of to discover the front room (#1) a cluttered mess of books and papers with most of the party searching papers or reading books. Jacques had seemed to moved on to investigating the clutter in the next room (#2).

Remy suggested a book to Mercutio Routledge. Thumbing through the book on Hydraulics, Mercuito discovered some hand written notes in the margin with initials and a reference to modifying ships to exceed Hull Speed. Some of the equations in the book looked similar to some papers that you had seen on one of the tables ... if only you could remember where you had glanced at them at.

Remy continued to study naval tactics of the Territorio Espana and learned that the Spanish slower and less maneuverable than either the English or French warships, however each Spanish Warship was a Floating Fortress that dominated the sea surrounding it. In war, the Spanish preferred to fight a defensive war, protecting valuable resources and attacking fixed positions with overwhelming Armadas.

Jacques moved his search into Room #2. Among all of the tools and worktables littered with notes and apparatus, Jacques stumbled upon a hidden draw in a Dining Room Table. It was not overly secretive, more a convenient place to store fine silver flatware. However this draw contained an object that Jacques immediately identified … a brass “T” shaped handle with magnets set in the shaft resting atop a Personal Journal of some sort. Removing the magnetic key and thumbing through the Journal, revealed detailed notes starting with the earliest experiment and growing ever more advanced. There were sketches of parts and notes on the results and detailed instructions for constructing a variety of doors with magnetic locks. Towards the end of the journal was a detailed plan for the secret door in the rock alcove leading down into the tunnel. The inside front cover carried the name of “Studley, T.A.S.”

Linkletter continued to browse the library collection exclusively looking for Medical Books. He found no medical books, but Studly seemed to have a rather keen interest in International Politics for someone with so many Technical reference works. A Diplomat-Scientist seemed an odd combination.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#97 Post by ffilz »

Linkletter will share his findings with the others.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#98 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Jacques

"Oho! Look here!" He calls people over to see the journal and key. "I think we've found who designed that lock."

AsenRG
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#99 Post by AsenRG »

"So what you're saying, senor Linkletter, is that this Studley had a weird combination of expertises?", Remy asks. "Why is that important? I mean, it's not like any of us is constrained in learning whatever by some invisible force! Maybe it doesn't happen often or it wouldn't be noteworthy, but maybe he found one of these to complement the other in his own way. Or maybe he had a friend who visited and kept books here?"

Then he looked at Jacques.
"Well, if he's designed this lock, and this is a journal...I've seen you writing in one...mayhaps he has written who hired him?"

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#100 Post by Urson »

Jo
Jo passes the word to the others. The salvage ship is ready, and I've found an experienced diver to retrieve the boiler.

To Dr Linkletter: How long before I'll be fit to dive, Dr?
FA FO

Return to “Wild West Waterworld (Classic Traveller)”