"Morale" as a combat factor

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

"Morale" as a combat factor

#1 Post by Leitz »

In Classic Traveller's Mercenary book, and the wargame supplement Striker, there's a factor called "Morale" that determines not just morale, but how an individual deals with low damage hits. In D&D/d20 games the concept of "level" subsumes this, higher level characters are more expereinced and can shrug off small attacks much longer than a first level.

I'm looking for a mechanic like "Morale"; where a determined character can continue to function despite some damage. A high morale would also allow more actions per combat round. Since I'm thinking through Cepheus Engine, the Striker morale concept would work. An experienced and determined warrior would not have a lot of trouble with a group of posturing males.

I'm wondering if there's something better. Any ideas?

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: "Morale" as a combat factor

#2 Post by tibbius »

It's possible to re-code hit points as not just physical but moral(e) toughness; a combatant reduced to 0 hp might fall down, or flee, or surrender.
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

whattime
Runner
Runner

#3 Post by whattime »

tibbius wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:28 pm It's possible to re-code hit points as not just physical but moral(e) toughness; a combatant reduced to 0 hp might fall down, or flee, or surrender.
I keep thinking about this or something like it for running for kids. I want to allow combat and allow risk but without the "tough! that's the meatgrinder!" aspect. I saw a kid-friendly system a while ago that was well-done and had some sort of system where PC attacks were somehow superpowered or enemy attacks were underpowered or something. But I thought it leaned too heavily towards superheroics. Well, for another thread, I guess.

Paladin
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#4 Post by Paladin »

I really, reaaally enjoy using morale in combat.

Without it, combats are mostly a numbers game. You learn to make a risk assessment and decide based upon hit points and average damage, the terrain, etc, what your party can and cannot face. So you can choose when to retreat and when you have a good shot at victory.

Add in morale, and it's a whole new ballgame. So what if there are fifty goblins in the cave? When the leader steps up to thump his chest and you put an arrow through his eye, the rest might melt away.

Or maybe one lone, dusty warrior trudging down the road falls prey to a group of bandits assuming their half-dozen men can handle him. They don't realize he's a grizzled veteran of eight long wars which dragged on for years and he has seen literally everything a battlefield has to offer. He isn't scared, doesn't back down, and stacks them up like cordwood.

For me, it makes battles exciting. You always have a chance, no matter how slim. You can pull rabbits out of hats and make some epic memories.

Obviously, this may be done without using morale, but I like the added dimension it brings to the table.

whattime
Runner
Runner

#5 Post by whattime »

The reply from @Paladin is pretty inspiring, so I'm not trying to top that.

But as to the OP, do you want a whole system or a simple little thingy? And are you talking about something that fits squarely into D&D?

If it just affects when you drop, it could be a re-skin / replacement for the various "you don't really die...yet" mechanics out there.

But if it affects also actions per round in combat, that's really significant. You want something that applies across the board to all classes, not just fighter-types?

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Leitz »

In the game I mentioned elsewhere, we used a modification of Striker's small unit combat to allow high morale characters to effectively get more hits in a combat round. They could, to a small degree, take more damage. It became a key factor in the combat system. In shooting sports, the mental game is much more critical than raw Dex. The ability to "keep your head in the game" allows you to respond much more effectively. While shooting "on the clock" isn't the same as being shot at, the practice under pressure supposedly helps.

AsenRG
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#7 Post by AsenRG »

Well, Pendragon's Passions might give you a morale boost...and you really, really don't want to fight someone who's experiencing one of those.
A bigger number of actions is one way, greater resiliance and higher damage might be another (and consistent with my experience with fighting people who enjoy it).

Return to “RPG theory”