Raiding Season

The Bindoner
The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Raiding Season

#161 Post by The Bindoner »

Áshildr quirks her smile and tilts her head quizically at the brief welcome, and heads in the indicated direction.

Almost immediately she sees a Warrior heading out through the hold, passing a small group of slaves heading in.

As the figure moves into the light Áshildr's eyes widen in recognition and she exclaims: Benmár? Slœgr bikkja! Oh, hafa ilt af Freyja, you must hate me to present me bound and tied to this stórlátr oskilgetinn nadr.

And I thought Hallstein was doing me a favour, giving me a mission....

Gorethirster
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#162 Post by Gorethirster »

Remington chuckles at Handson's comment and inclines his head to show off his matted scalp wound "You don't have much to worry on the passing punches count. I can take them apparently, but I couldn't give one to save my life. Way back when I could have made your life holy hell if you were my PhD candidate though. Piss me off and your best shot at a teaching position would be to try your luck coming somewhere like, well, here." In a quieter voice that's not quite directed to Handson but not quite to himself either Remington says "But the fact that I am here suggests that something has a cosmic sense of irony, and something needs to be done about that."

Snapping out of his reverie, Remington has an actually pertitinent question for once. "By "clean up" do you mean "get the congealing blood out of my jump drive?" Because the thought of all that blood getting Lords knows where is making me antsy. I assumed I'd just have to live with it until we were off world, just in case the priest came back. At the rate I'm going though, I think the priest would only come back if they'd put together a lynch mob for me, so maybe cleaning up isn't a risk at all. I'll certainly take you up on that tour though. Between Raven's plasma gun and Ridley's suitcase nuke I've had no time to actually get a feel for the ship."

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#163 Post by The Bindoner »

Snapping out of his reverie, Remington has an actually pertitinent question for once. "By "clean up" do you mean "get the congealing blood out of my jump drive?" Because the thought of all that blood getting Lords knows where is making me antsy. I assumed I'd just have to live with it until we were off world, just in case the priest came back. At the rate I'm going though, I think the priest would only come back if they'd put together a lynch mob for me, so maybe cleaning up isn't a risk at all. I'll certainly take you up on that tour though. Between Raven's plasma gun and Ridley's suitcase nuke I've had no time to actually get a feel for the ship."
Why's there blood in the Drive? There's a port for that. That witch drunk or something? All I meant was turn on the lights, tat-down the trimmings. Hey, Gris, sounds like we need a bucket and mop.

Gris rolls his eyes and heads off to fetch the janitorial kit while Handson and Ingrid walk with Remington to Engineering, giving him the guided tour on the way. Arriving at the Drive Room Ingrid activates the lights and they both look from the splattered blood in the chamber to the splashes on Remington:

Wow. That's a new one.

Handson approaches the Jump Drive and looks at a cup-like inlet in the casing: Everywhere but where it's meant to be. Looking around at Remington and Ingrid: Good job we're not superstitious, eh?

Ingrid is already taking down the fetishes and stowing them in the designated cabinet: Tried prayin'. Didn't help.

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#164 Post by Tiglath »

Raven’s cold laughter precedes her. She steps from darkness into light and yet somehow seems to still carry some of it with her. She folds her arms and leans on the bulkhead wearing a feral smile.

“Gyðja? I think not! Ormstunga it seems you speak too much! Still wheedling favours - is that all of your reputation now? Since you so freely insult his Raid Leader and therefore the Jarl himself should we call the warband that they might watch me defend his honour? You’re here to instruct them. You could show them all the “sword play” you’ve learned on your back!”

Raven masks her rising focus on Áshildr by changing her posture and with it her tone “Here’s a thought for your scheming mind. The fact that he so readily agreed to send you means he’s not so sure about one of us. I've been me - it upsets people. You might want to think over any "advice" you gave recently. Like it or not we’re allies of convenience”.

(OOC: For those without the commitment to learn Old Norse for this game:
1) Brace up! :roll: :P :lol:
2) From the previous post Áshildr: “Raven, (you) scheming bitch! Cor blimey, Freya, you must hate me to bind me to this false snake of uncertain or indeterminate parentage” (per favour of the Old Norse translation service).

Raven counters with "Priestess? I think not! Snake tongue it seems…”).
Last edited by Tiglath on Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Player: Jonathan/Tiglath
Sigrun Volsung, 9B7886, Lt Commander, 3 terms, age 31
Gun Cbt 3 (Rifle 2, Pistol 1), Melee Cbt 1 (Axe), Pilot 1,
Gunnery 1, Vacc Suit 1, Zero G 1, Streetwise 1, Recon 1,
Electronics 0, Grav Vehicle 0
Enemy: Imperial Navy (Lunion) Ine Givar(?)

Gorethirster
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#165 Post by Gorethirster »

Remington winces. "The blood in the drive might be my fault. I gathered that blessing the drive involved pouring blood into it but not the details and I may have... taken matters into my own hands. On the bright side I made sure to only get blood onto solid panels as far away from current bearing wiring as possible. So we'll probably not all die in jump space!"

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#166 Post by The Bindoner »

Raven:

You asked Hallstein for me? And he sent me? Áshildr considers that for a moment, a “cat that got the cream” smile blossoming briefly. In the old days you would have been direct, now you use my methods. Against me. She pauses again momentarily, makes a descision: Very well, we have both changed. That being so, I think we can put the past behind us and work together. If we cannot the survivor will find out from Hallstein which one of us he trusted most.

Somewhat archly, teasing: Sweetheart, you should have told me you wanted me back, I would have come willingly. Ah, but you do like things to be done your way, don't you? To be in charge. And it has served you well, you are Raid Leader now, and I am still just a Raider, training Swords.

She slinks close to Raven, lowering her voice

It is not just swords I play with though, as you know, and I have learned some new tricks. Ormstunga you call me, * Áshildr pronounces the Old Oghman word lasciviously * I may indeed deserve that name. I could teach you and your warband, if you want. I'm here to instruct, after all, as you say.

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#167 Post by The Bindoner »

Remington:

Gris arrives with the cleaning materials and starts to remove the blood splatters while Ingrid stows the decorations.

Handson shows Remington around the Jump Drive. It is a standard Oghman system giving J1 at 300dT, essentially an ancient Sindalian Empire design built using the materials and manufacturing capability available on Oghma ( limited by the designs and construction being in the control of the Temple and it's priesthood ). To Remington it is like a Coelacanth, a living fossil.

Handson is very familiar with this design, having worked on it for years, and soon shows Remington it's quirks as compared to standard designs.

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#168 Post by The Bindoner »

Kar;

As Kar climbs out of the Hold to the main section of the ship he hears some drama occur between his Raid Leader and the new Raider, but doesn't let it bother him. If it matters, someone will comm him, of that he is certain. This has been a long day, and a stressful one. Tomorrow will be another and it will start soon.

Reaching his Stateroom beside the Bridge he finds the space in scented candlelight. Regina has turned off the ship lighting, arranged the room to be more like a tent than a starship cabin and dimmed most of the screens to "emergency only". She is working at a computer terminal, runing diagnostics on the sensors and emissions grid. As Kar enters she turns to him, her hands putting the screen on standby as she speaks:

What a nice surprise! I thought you would stay with your new crew longer, Commander. I should have known you have the wisdom to value an early night.

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#169 Post by Tiglath »

Raven replies “Maybe the Jarl plans to rid himself of one liability by throwing two into the fire?”

She then seems uncharacteristically self conscious “I have indeed become devious, less direct and wiser in my thinking. It is also true that I am Raid Leader. I am proud of it but regret some of the things it cost me”.

Raven raises a hand etched with fine battlescars to touch Áshildr’s face “Instruct the warband and, if you will, teach me. I have missed you”. She leans towards Áshildr but then stops herself “I will show you to our quarters”.

It soon appears that Dagný might have to temporarily quit the armoury. It seems that the warband commanders need the room for what sounds like something similar to a bar room brawl...

Gorethirster
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#170 Post by Gorethirster »

Gris arrives with the cleaning materials and starts to remove the blood splatters while Ingrid stows the decorations.
Remington makes a point of personally thanking Handson, Gris, and Ingrid for their help cleaning up the drive space. He knows he's their nominal superior, but he's also well aware that all four of them are slaves, and thus that the hierarchy could rapidly and unexpectedly shift. He sees no value in throwing around weight he might not have tomorrow when he could get the same results with a friendly demeanor and a pleasant chat. When the work is done, Remington retires to his cabin for the evening, hoping it's not his problem to clean up the mess left after the feast but unwilling to risk getting stuck dealing with it by asking.

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#171 Post by The Bindoner »

The Winter Ale is a strong brew, and it soon affects the Warband. Their joie de vivre is soon suppressed to lethargy and they are easily led into the Mead Hall of the ship by Eno, who announces there are honey-cakes and mead available there.

Manfred accompanies them. He is less affected by the strong beer, and is apparently still gathering notes on Oghma's traditions.

When the Warband are aboard the Serpent Eno pings the other crew-slave comms. Gris, Handson and Ingrid know what the chime means and set off to recover the barrel of Winter Ale, the remaining meat of the sacrifice and the platters, cutlery and other items belonging to the ship. Most of the detritus of the feast they leave for the Ship Field slaves to clear away, and in solidarity they make sure to abandon plenty of food that plausibly isn't worth taking.

Roberta and Regina do not know what the chime indicates. Roberta ignores it, as it comes from another slave and she only takes commands from Leon. Regina hears the chime, but is too preoccupied to bother with it. If it is important Kar will hear of it and tell her.

Remington also receives the chime, and has no idea what it means. All he knows is that it comes from Eno, and there is no message.

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#172 Post by The Bindoner »

Aware that dawn is departure time everyone heads to their rest, Sigmundr herding his fellow Svein to the Long House.

Dagny is initially confused to find herself shut out of the Arming Room and sounds of desperate struggle within. Flushing red as she realises why she's locked out she hurriedly returns to her original bunk.

Hróarr remains in the Mead Hall following Eno around as she tidies up, apparently fascinated by this exotic off-worlder. Eventually she takes him aside for few minutes before sending him to the Long House so she can finally work uninterrupted.

The Cunning Serpent comes to life an hour before dawn, the lights snapping on and the various systems of the ship powering up and running self-diagnostic routines.

Eno had prepared breakfast and caffeinated drinks that are automatically heated and are ready in the Mead Hall for any who want them.

Any Engineering and Bridge crew not already awake are roused by the insistent tone of the alarms on their stateroom computer access nodes.

The Fleet rises with the sun, and the clock is ticking...

Edited

because I thought of a better way to write something :roll:

hardrocks
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#173 Post by hardrocks »

Kor is already awake and ready long before the chimes tell him it is time.
Taking a moment to smile at Regina's still slumbering form, he then dumps the remaining ale from last nights cup on her head.
Swiftly exiting with a "See you on the bridge" . Before any unbecoming retaliation.
Outside his berth Kor assumes his "cold face" and proceeds to his rightful place, in command, at last, of his own ship. (well the Yarls vessel really)

coastguarder
Scout
Scout

#174 Post by coastguarder »

Ridley for was ahead of the game ... non of the crew had noticed he had slipped away quietly before things got to lose ..... he had almost forgotten that tingling feeling he got the night before the departure on a craft he had not piloted before .... a sparkle of mischief and excitement in his eye he had taken some rest and roused himself slightly before that of the captain .... made his way to the bride and made his check and preperations ... now waiting for the orders to make way he took to his chair and struck a pose of that of a man who had one to many beers the night before ..... lets face it ... it wasn't a difficult as that's what they all assumed ....

coastguarder
Scout
Scout

#175 Post by coastguarder »

Ridley noticed through one eye the look of surprise and fear on the Captains face as he entered the bridge ....

Ridley farted loudly .....

Morning........ when ever your lot are ready ..... probably about time to get this hunk of junk somewhere it shouldn't be wouldn't you say ?

addressing Remington on the com remington serious o clock now ..... no more soup duties for you ..... everything in order down there ? its time to warm her up .... i don't care what you think your duties are ... your in charge down there so make it happen ....

hardrocks
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#176 Post by hardrocks »

Slightly surprised,but secretly pleased, to find Ridley ready for duty at his station.
Kar takes his seat and over ships comms: All crew, to your ready stations. Prepare for orbit and jump
And Personal comms to Eno: How about some coffee and sangers to the bridge

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#177 Post by Tiglath »

Raven appears on the bridge for the setting forth. She seems less hungover and more ... cheerful? It's clearly a very strange crew greeting Kar this morning!

Gorethirster
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#178 Post by Gorethirster »

As the obnoxious tone from his computer terminal rudely dragged him awake Remington considered coming up with some excuse to cancel classes that day. Maybe not all of them, but definitely the early ones. Then his memory caught up to the rest of his brain and he realised that wouldn't be an option. So, begrudgingly, he dragged himself out of bed and into the new day.

After a quick trip to the fresher Remington stopped to appreciate Eno's thoughtful prep work in the mess. After a quick breakfast of smoked fish and a few rolls Remington snags an extra couple of each before heading to engineering. If anyone asked, they're for the rest of the engineering crew, but in all actuality they're a preventative measure. When something inevitably goes wrong and he's stuck in the drive room for eighteen hours straight, Remington fully intends to have his own snacks, just in case no one else can be bothered to bring him some.

Preparatory snacking and snack squirreling done, Remington is midway through double checking the system's automatic status checks when the comms terminal chimes with Ridley's inquiries. Power skimming the remaining auto-checks and not seeing anything untoward, Remington keys the comm:
"Not to worry, I take the prospect of death by drive failure very seriously. The drives all read good to go. May as well fire her up, there's no time like the present to learn about any problems I haven't found yet."
Last edited by Gorethirster on Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

coastguarder
Scout
Scout

#179 Post by coastguarder »

Addressing the Captain directly and not over coms

don't start with the light touch here boss .... new crew ... shake down time ay ..... get them going through there drills over and over .... particularly the gunners and the engineers .... none of this get some rest drivel ay ..... make examples ... don't over feed them .... lock the ale away ... we need them sharp if this is going to be a success .... the hungry wolf runs faster ay

coastguarder
Scout
Scout

#180 Post by coastguarder »

Good Morning Raven ... i have no doubt in my mind that you war band is suitable terrified of you but i think you will agree getting them pissing in the same direction quick smart is will be of benefit .... catch the little toe rags off guard ay ...

Return to “Out of Oghma (MgT1)”