The Halls of Arden Vul

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

The Halls of Arden Vul

#1 Post by dmw71 »

I was just reviewing the 2020 ENnie nominated adventures and came across this beast.

For 1e, no less.

• The Halls of Arden Vul Complete
    • "Arden Vul is the most ambitious megadungeon ever created, with over 1,100 Pages of Incredible Adventure. This First Edition compatible fully-bookmarked PDF product features:

2,162 Encounter Descriptions
      14 NPC Factions
      10 Massive Levels
      15 Extensive Sub-levels
      7 Dangerous Exterior locations
      149 New Monsters
      332 New Magic Items
      69 New Technological Items
      44 New Spells
      189 New Books through which PCs can gain a deep understanding of the dungeon
      A full NPC appendix with 10 competing parties at 3 levels of power
      Over 140 original pieces of art, including 28 full-page illustrations!"

I could see this being run here on the forums at some point. :D
Not by me.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: The Halls of Arden Vul

#2 Post by dmw71 »

dmw71 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:42 pm I was just reviewing the 2020 ENnie nominated adventures and came across this beast.
This beast is now part of its own Bundle of Holding -- including VTT maps -- for $24.95.

-- Project --
-- DM --

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Rex »

Thanks Dave. Been thinking about picking this up and it is a good deal.

BaltoBruiser
Ranger
Ranger

#4 Post by BaltoBruiser »

Is this Spearmint's next labour of love?

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#5 Post by dmw71 »

Rex wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:21 pm Thanks Dave. Been thinking about picking this up and it is a good deal.
In truth (and @Rex, you in particular might find this interesting), I have become obsessively fascinated with Hârn, and HârnMaster over the last few weeks. To the point where I was privately wondering whether I'd ever be tempted to play official D&D again.
I will.
And no, Arden Vul, while it will be fascinating to read through and study, will (almost certainly) not be the thing that gets me up and running 1e again. :lol:
-- Project --
-- DM --

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Rex »

You are always welcome to join my HarnMaster game at any time. On boarding 3 more players at the moment. For about 20 years we played nothing but HarnMaster with an occasional Top Secret SI and D&D Holmes edition mixed in, but not very often. We tried hyperborea in December of 2022 and it we have been playing it a bunch. Probably 75% Hyperborea and 25% HarnMaster since. My wife loves both, but prefers Hyperborea a little. I steal ideas anywhere I can and have been thinking of running a Hyperborea game here but I had some stuff come up that used up much of my free prep time last year. Maybe this year.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#7 Post by dmw71 »

I also broke down and purchased the bundle for The Midderlands. It's actually quite cool!

It is a whole campaign setting, so it's not surprising that they have their own currency system and religions/gods, etc... Maybe what's impressed me the most so far is how the core book includes pronunciation guides; like, the copper halfpenny coin is pronounced hayp’nee in the setting. There's also a whole page of Midderlands-speak, which looks/sounds a lot like Scottish.
Midderlands Words wrote: To many folk outside the region, the
people of the Midderlands talk funny. This
is a summary of common Midderland
words that often crop up in conversations.
As an example, a face or visage would be spoken as a fairce or a kissa.

I love little details like that.
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#8 Post by dmw71 »

Rex wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:55 pm You are always welcome to join my HarnMaster game at any time.
I have been tempted to reach out many times over the past few weeks about just that, I just can't right now. Maybe/hopefully I'll be up for some gaming soon.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Rex »

I love the details in a setting myself.

You are welcome anytime.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Spearmint »

Is this Spearmint's next labour of love?
Probably not Ardun Vul.

These guys do a great podcast and play through, if you have a couple of spare hours for a whole month, you can catch up to date.

https://youtu.be/UL0rYJw-Q9M?si=zx7KgLtoTBWvk8xp

Barrowmaze has been enough challenge, two and a half years and still; without giving too many spoilers away, not even 1/5th of the Mounds or Maze explored. So much more to discover if you survive long enough ...

BaltoBruiser
Ranger
Ranger

#11 Post by BaltoBruiser »

So I started listening to the podcast (I have about 3 hours of commute time when I have to go into the office) and these guys are pretty good. The had their first character lost on day 2 in the 4th episode. Jon the DM makes you look like a softy Spearmint.

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by sastaz »

Oh, gotta give this pod a listen. I walk about an hour a weekday back and forth to the comnuter train station, so this will be just perfect.

BaltoBruiser
Ranger
Ranger

#13 Post by BaltoBruiser »

So I have had the materials for about a month and I have not DM'ed a game on PbP but I would be willing to try it if there were interest. I saw that there had been a Halls of Arden Vul game that was started in 2021 but it looks like it was abandoned?

What do you folks think? It will take a me a few weeks to finish getting through the materials but would there be interest? Maybe I should post on the LFP board.

Bruiser

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Spearmint »

There will always be interest in 1e D&D or Labyrinth Lord games, you could recruit a dozen players within hours let alone days!

Ardun Vul is very big, much larger than Barrowmaze, probably six times bigger in the number of caves, factions, levels. After two and a half years, we are barely 1/4 of the way into possible 'completion' (if you tick-box every crypt and encounter).

Highfell, the Drifting Dungeon is another 'megadungeon' in similar vein though that also petered out here as a game.

I would not discourage running such a campaign but would start by assessing what as GM I wanted to produce and be creative in. Also thinking ahead, as a GM you probably dedicate at least an hour of real life time per player to any game which you need to commit to in advance.

Certainly I would expect each player character in the archived Arden Vul would be interested in reviving characters, so you wouldn't have to look far for interest.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by rredmond »

Agreeing with Spearmint, just be clear with what you want as a DM and how you see it going with the players. Arden Vul is a megadungeon, but it's surrounded by a rich, nicely detailed, environment. You can play it in explore the world mode, or go with mini-goal oriented scenarios (which I think are suggested in the megadungeon) or treat it as a real megadungeon - get in, get gold, get out and gain XPs and replenish HPs and supplies. There's a lot that can be done there, it's truly a wonderful product what I've seen of it's thousands of pages :D
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Rex »

Great advice. I will add you could start with one of the side adventurers and work up to the main mega-dungeon. Give yourself a chance to get used to managing the flow in pbp, which is often the most difficult thing for a DM when transitioning from table top to pbp.

BaltoBruiser
Ranger
Ranger

#17 Post by BaltoBruiser »

Thank you for the great advice. I am going to spend a little time scouting the old threads of the Arden Vul pbp game that was run here a few years ago. I might try DM'ing something that is a part of the material as a small scale to get used to the mechanics (a small adventure from Gosterwick to the Thicket and the Kobold liar in and around the Broken Knob perhaps).

Bruiser

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by gurusql »

You might get limited information at least in the most recent Arden Vul pbp game, if I recall we did not have a single combat before the game folded.

Return to “General RPG discussion”