Sister Daisy's House of Healing

OGRE MAGE
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Re: Sister Daisy's House of Healing

#21 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Randall thinks about it for a moment before replying.

"Mi sappose dat be true. But da ships only come in now an den."

"So ya say dat if some folk from dis town move, der will be 2 separate town den?"

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by Urson »

Daisy
Ah think it's likely. The ships that come in will need services, and there will be some folks that are just contrary enough to insist on staying here, no matter what. At the least, we'll have a town there, she gestures vaguely at the jungle, and an outpost with a warehouse or two here.
And don't get any silly idea that Ah'm tryin to shut you down. Ah don't think anyone likes your rum more than Ah do, and The Treehouse is a valuable meeting place, gives us a sense of community. Ah can promise you, there'll be a Randall's Treehouse Tavern for as long as you want to keep running it.
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#23 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Randall's smile is so big it brightens up the day.

He nods his head intently, apparently in agreement to the ideas presented.

"Mi tink mi gwan like da new Maya.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#24 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Daisy sees the representative for the farmers coming next.

Caleb and two other men arrive at the meeting site early.

"Hello Mayor Daisy. Looks like yer almost set up already. Need a hand with anything?"

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by Urson »

Daisy
No thank you, sugar. Ah think Ah have everything.
Ah want ya'll to know- we appreciate your hard work. The soil here ain't much- when Ah was growin' up, my Pappa would have said "it wouldn't grow weeds". But ya'll are doing a whale of a job with what you have, and it is very much appreciated.
Ah have every intention of relocating us to a place where farming won't be so hard. But if we're gonna move, we need to proceed careful, so we don't start a fight we can't win. Unfortunately, that means we're going to be slow. Ah am truly sorry, but things are likely to be rough for ya'll for a while yet.
Now that Ah've given you my bad news, Ah want to know about your concerns, and any ideas ya'll have to help make things better around here.

Daisy picks up a sheet of bark and a piece of charcoal, ready to take notes.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#26 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Caleb speaks for the men.

"We have tried every trick in the book, Sister. But we still aint been able to make much of a difference with the crops. The only real improvement we've seen so far is when the druid came out to make things grow magically. The bad thing about that is once those crops are eaten, we need to start right back over at square one again."

"The soil here just aint gonna cut it. We need to find a better spot to grow. I heard there was a vast farmland to the east of here. Do you know anything about that? If it is being farmed by the natives, all the better. I believe we need to create a co-operation with them. They could learn from us, and we could get some valuable tips from the folks who have been farming here forever. I know it wont be quick, or easy, but we're just wasting our time here in this salty, arid soil."

"Do we know anyone who is in good standing with the locals?"

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by Urson »

Daisy

Caleb, honey, Ah'm trying to find that person or people. It may be one of the adventurers that's out there in the bush right now. We gotta make peace with the Indijens, so we can survive. Ah have one idea- Maybe Ah can use my Graces to create water and flush the soil clean. One of ya'll build a raised flower bed- about 2 feet by 4, and fill it with the best soil we have around here. Ah'll use all my Graces on it one day, and we'll see what we get.
What else ya'll got?

OM: this is what she's talking about. The idea is to keep the soil being flushed above the surface, and hope the water carries most of the salt with it.
raised bed.jpg
raised bed.jpg (13.7 KiB) Viewed 1341 times

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#28 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Caleb looks at Daisy quizzically after she mentions the indijens.

“I keep hearing that word, but I do not think it means what you think it means.”

When the idea of the raised planter is presented, Caleb continues shaking his head.

“That’s a reasonable idea, and one we have tried. Problem is that we simply don’t have the building materials to construct enough of them to make a difference. Besides that, we can’t keep enough fresh water around to be able to flush the soil regularly.”

The well spoken farmer points at the foliage that grows along the outer edge of the jungle where everything looks pretty much the same. “You see all those scraggly bushes and trees that look a lot alike? That’s the kind of stuff that can grow in this arid, salty soil. It ain’t no good fer things like taters and cabbages.”

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by Urson »

Daisy
Daisy looks embarrassed. Ah should have known- ya'll have been at this for a while, so you've tried stuff Ah wouldn't even think of.
Ah don't know- Indijens is what Ah heard- but Ah been wrong many times before.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#30 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Caleb smiles warmly at Daisy honesty and humility.

“Well, I know my place as a simple farmer, but it sounds a bit jerogatory, dontcha think? I reckon the word was accidentally bastardized by someone with a minimal knowledge of our common tongue. Likely one of them natives.”

He shrugs innocently.

“Anyhoo, ya, we tried a lot of different things already, and other than the Druids magic, nothins helped the soil quality. It is my professional opinion that, we either move the town to a better location, closer to the river, or at the very least, relocate our farming efforts to an area with proper dirt.”

Daisy can see Marge in the distance, approaching the meeting area next.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by Urson »

Daisy
And Ah agree with you, sugar. Just spread the word to your associates- we're working on it, and ya'll are much appreciated.

After the Farmer's delegation has gone, Daisy greets Marge warmly. Morning, darlin'. Ah been talkin' to folks all day- an' they all ask the same questions. 'When are we moving?' We're going to need a crew of delegates to talk to the folks who live near the waterfall soon.
What issues have ya'll got for me today?

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#32 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Caleb nods. "Just remember, if we move, we need to pick a place we can clear. An area where the tree dwellers up there aint gonna be mad if we chop down a few trees."

Marge arrives at the meeting next, greeting those gathered and smiling at Daisy's question.

"Well deary, I think that is fer you ta ask me, aint it? I agree with the farmers that at least their operations need to be moved. Keeping some food growing should be our first priority."

"If we move everyone, it will be a LOT of work, but at least that would eliminate any future problems with the dwarves, which I think should be our next priority."

"If we want to send a group out to speak with the native folks at the waterfall, to see if we can combine our camps, I know there is someone who can help. His name is Powstap, a native shaman that has been acting as their spokesman. I aint sure if he's still around here now though."

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by Urson »

Daisy
Daisy nods at Marge's comments. You're right on all fronts, Marge. Right now, Ah have two- uhh- diplomatic missions Ah should go on. Ah need to negotiate with the natives about the farmland, an' Ah need to try an' settle stuff with the dwarfs. Have we got any Dwarf settlers in town? Ah mean, other than the adventurers.
Ah know ya'll stick to the beach when you fetch our water- but do you know anything about the jungle along the way? Or around the mouth of the river, where you get the water?

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#34 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Marge

"Sadly, we aint got any dwarven settlers here. There's a few adventurers who call this place home, but they ain't here much, that I've seen."

"I know that stretch of beach like the back of my hand, sister. There aint been one trip to that river where I felt totally safe, understand?"

"I know there were villages spread along the river, so the land there is definitely livable, but I just dont know if the natives would want us moving in on their territory, see?"

"But like I said, maybe solving one problem will rid us of the other?"

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#35 Post by Urson »

Daisy
Yes, sugar. Ah hope the same. But Ah have the impression, from folks who have actually spoken to them, that the miners intend on claimin' the whole island for their own.
Ah reckon we'll just need to live with the miners and their intentions for a bit, while we get our people moved, settled, and fed.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#36 Post by OGRE MAGE »

"Then the sooner we get innocent folk away from this area, the better! Should we try settin up a party to go speak with the natives, then? We might want to enlist help from some of the adventurers around here for that, eh? Er didja have somethin else in mind?"

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by Urson »

Daisy
That's exacly my intention. Ah'll go to speak with the locals. Ah will need a couple of guards, of course- an' Ah'll prob'ly ask The Princess to go along. She was raised in Court- she's prob'ly better at negotiating than me.
Ah need to make sure Ah've spoken with all the counselors first, of course. Tomorrow will have to be soon enough for us to head out.

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by Monsieur Rose »

The Princess enters

"Mayor Sister Daisy, I hope things are going well so far." She notices Marge and exclaims. "Marge! How have you been?"

"Mayor. I meant to come by earlier, but I was deep in research, my apologies. I thought I'd join and observe the meetings if that's ok with you." She smiles and looks around. "It would be an interesting change of pace to offer council, rather than receive."

"Did I hear something about Dwarves when I was coming up? The Stoneguts, I'm guessing?" She stands at attention, quite obviously looking for an invitation to sit.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#39 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Marge answers the Princess.

"Well enough, I suppose, thanks! Yes, we was just discussing a meeting with the natives along the river, and possibly trying to tackle another attempt at speaking with the dwarves as well. I agree with Daisy that you might be best suited to help out with the negotiations, if yer willing."

The large human nods at Daisy again, waiting for her opinion.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#40 Post by Urson »

Daisy
Daisy smiles when The Princess arrives. Please, have a seat. Ah'm glad to see you.

Ah heard something about your go-round with the Stoneguts. Do you think they'd be willing to listen if ya'll went to talk to them?

First things first- we should go visit the natives an' try to make some sort of deal with them. Even if we can't share their land, maybe we can talk them into letting us move the village closer to the river.

Ah'm sorry, Princess, but Ah'm not used to talking with royalty. What should Ah call you?

Return to “Big Shiny Island (1E Sandbox, with real sand)”