Game Forum Organization

If you need support for dice roller or the forums, post here.
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Game Forum Organization

#1 Post by dmw71 »

This question has been asked before, but twice recently (here, and here) so I figured it was probably worthy of a sticky here in the 'Help and Support' topic to assist newer GMs, or any GM looking to better organize their games.

There was also this, which touches on using (or not using) sticky posts and also using links for helping to organize posts: I shared my thoughts in direct response to the first of two questions linked above, and directed the second prospective game moderator to this first answer. Here is the link to my answer, but I will also post it directly as a reply to this topic (here), which I will sticky, or maybe make an announcement... which highlights the two non-normal post types you can consider using (please, do not use the post type of 'Global'):
Post Types.jpg
Post Types.jpg (46.72 KiB) Viewed 1095 times
You can also lock topics.
Lock Topics.jpg
Lock Topics.jpg (51.35 KiB) Viewed 1095 times
FAQ Definitions
  • What are announcements?
    Announcements often contain important information for the forum you are currently reading and you should read them whenever possible. Announcements appear at the top of every page in the forum to which they are posted. As with global announcements, announcement permissions are granted by the board administrator.
  • What are sticky topics?
    Sticky topics within the forum appear below announcements and only on the first page. They are often quite important so you should read them whenever possible. As with announcements and global announcements, sticky topic permissions are granted by the board administrator.
  • What are locked topics?
    Locked topics are topics where users can no longer reply and any poll it contained was automatically ended. Topics may be locked for many reasons and were set this way by either the forum moderator or board administrator. You may also be able to lock your own topics depending on the permissions you are granted by the board administrator.
Any and everyone should feel free to contribute here. I know I'm interested to see what works for other GMs.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: Game Forum Organization

#2 Post by dmw71 »

Tragic Tales wrote:Does anyone have a recommendation for a game with a good layout? Something to help me organize a game.
I do hope other DMs (as there are a lot of excellent ones here) will also chime in with their thoughts and recommendations, but here are my thoughts.

---

As for what's important in your game, it can vary, but you'll want to consider what are some of the more important details you'll eventually share in your game. Some ideas:

Game Setup
  • Someplace for your players to post their character sheets.
  • A dedicated spot where you post all your house rules and character creation rules.
  • You'll want a place outside of your main action threads for your players to post out-of-character chatter, or OOC.
  • It often underutilized, but a place for your players to post if they know they're going to be missing for a stretch of time could be helpful. The higher the posting frequency in your game, the more important this might be.
  • Given how relatively slow play-by-post games can be, it might be helpful to set up topics where you share background details about your game; or where you share maps or geographic information. A place to detail any non-player character information could be helpful, too.
In my games, I like to create a Table of Contents post (like here), saved as an 'Announcement' type post, which, as a ToC is meant to do, serves as a single location you/your players can go to find links to all the important pages used in your game.

Game Organization
One other suggestion I could make would be to track important game details in a "footer" section at the bottom of all your important game updates. What you contain in this "footer" section can vary greatly, and you can include as little or as much detail as you'd like. Keeping a constantly updated list of important details your characters might want to always know (e.g. health status of the characters, weather conditions, spells or unusual conditions in effect, time of day, etc....) is really helpful.

For me (example), I like to provide a LOT of details. Especially when you consider the information hidden in spoiler tags beneath each character. It's not always the easiest to keep everything perfectly detailed (e.g. I may forget to update hit points, or spells used, or the time of day) in one post, but if it's something you maintain consistently, there's always a history of what the "before" values were.

The effort (to me) is worth it as:
  • I use it as a reference myself (e.g. how many hit points or open spell slots does a character have left);
  • I almost never get questions from players wondering about these common details.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Return to “Help and Support”