OOC Thread

atpollard
atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: OOC Thread

#21 Post by atpollard »

thenewflesh wrote:Edited my post in the character sheets thread. It is still skeletal and my current wealth is not correct - I can't find a way to edit it. Given what you said about Troll-kin, do languages like Dwarvish, Elvish, etc, still exist?
Yes, languages still exist.
First, "Trollkin" are all HUMANOIDS (goblins, orcs, trolls, bugbears, etc.)
Demi-Humans (Elves, Dwarves, Gnomes, etc) are not referred to as Trillkin. I will have to research my NORSE again, but I think they are all "Fae" or "Fairy Folk"

I will have better data on the Trollkin soon, but in general the most common Humanoid will form a sort of "Common Language" among Trollkin. As a guess it will probably be Orc or Goblin.

The same applies for Demi-Humans, except I have better data on the forces of Good. Here is the general ratio among Good creatures:
40% Human (English & Welsh)
20% Dwarf (Norse)
20% Elf (German)
10% Gnome (Dutch)
10% Halfling (Scottish)

Just as an aside, the National references represent the source I use for names which, except for Halflings, are based on where the Mythical Creature first appeared or appeared in its D&D form. For example, the D&D Dwarves were first described in Norse folklore, so I give them Norse names. [Just a bit of trivia].

To answer the Demi-Human Language question, most demi-humans would learn their native tongue and the Human Common. After that, Elf and Dwarf are tied for the preferred common language ... probably leaning towards Elvish in Forested areas and Dwarvish in Hill and Mountain regions.
"welcoming humbly His light and proudly His darkness" - e.e. cummings

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#22 Post by Bluetongue »

You edit the coinage slots by simply following this:

To add 50gp just put 50 in the gp empty slot and press the blue arrow. To subtract you post -50 and press update.

thenewflesh
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#23 Post by thenewflesh »

Ah, nice! Thank you both.

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#24 Post by atpollard »

Data on Languages and Races added to Background [HERE].

PS: I decided to reduce the number of sticky threads for Reference data.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by Rex »

Any chance that Aari would know any additional languages at this point? He can learn 4 additional based on his Intelligence.

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#26 Post by atpollard »

Rex wrote:Any chance that Aari would know any additional languages at this point? He can learn 4 additional based on his Intelligence.
Sure.
For anyone interested in languages, first check out the data in Background on Languages and the Census of Races. Then just pick whatever languages you want to already know and be prepared to explain where you learned to speak it. You might want to leave one slot open to keep the option of learning a new language, but that is your call. Remember that everyone speaks their native language fluently and these others are secondary languages.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by Rex »

I added Dwarvish and Ogrish. That leaves him 2 slots open. He would have learned Dwarvish from the demi-humans he lives with and Ogrish from whoever he learned to be a Ranger from. As a Ranger he is more knowledgeable and deals more damage to humanoids and giants so I think he would know their more common language anyways.

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#28 Post by Bluetongue »

Just reading through your deities list. I have a couple of questions. Are these 'human' centric gods, do the dwarves worship Moradin for example.

Also as I am a cleric-fighter, but NG in alignment, does that put Bogarde under Mielikki. Or can I add my own diety background? (I made some notes in my character sheet as a base to work from). The reason I ask is that if Mielikki uses wolves as agents of divine purpose, he wouldn't speak about killing the pack.

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#29 Post by Bluetongue »

Just adding to my thoughts on diety and stuff. It makes sense in my mind if Father HadrIan acts as the community leader and that if his God uses hawks and wolves then we might have been guided through the forest by divine inspiration, following a hawk's flight or locating the howl of the wolves.

I don't want to have 'competing' faiths, sure we can work it out as much as we have a multi-race community in the ruin. I see my cleric following a faith of social justice and order (should I change to a Lawful alignment?), rather than worshipping an intrinsically Nature God.

Specifically Bogarde's Tenets of faith eschew hardwork, (building and planting like tradesmen or farmers .... beggars would be told to 'get a life, or a job. Even menial labour pays a wage which should support you and give you enough to support others, etc) and social justice. (No taxation without representation, equality, penal law and absolution).

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#30 Post by atpollard »

Bluetongue wrote:Just reading through your deities list. I have a couple of questions. Are these 'human' centric gods, do the dwarves worship Moradin for example.

Also as I am a cleric-fighter, but NG in alignment, does that put Bogarde under Mielikki. Or can I add my own diety background? (I made some notes in my character sheet as a base to work from). The reason I ask is that if Mielikki uses wolves as agents of divine purpose, he wouldn't speak about killing the pack.
These are THE Gods of Good. All Good beings that worship a God worship one of them.

I am not opposed to adding Lesser-Gods or Demi-Gods to fill some specific niche, but I would probably insert one more like a “Patron Saint of Dwarves” under one of the Major deities presented.

(L/N/C) Neutral and the forces of Evil work differently from the Gods of Good.
Neutral is more of a dark pantheistic (witches controlling elemental and natural forces).
Evil is more of a Demonic Hierarchy active in the world.

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#31 Post by Bluetongue »

Bogarde

Okay. Well with the character concept I have in mind, it would fit more under Ukko than the god of forestry and nature. I can imagine that Bogarde prays to Ukko via saintly intercessors or 'demi-gods' under Ukko such as represented by figures like St Cuthbert or the statue of Liberty or the Lady Justice which bears a sword and set of scales.

Does changing alignment alter much at this point?

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by Rex »

In Finnish mythology she is also the goddess of the hunt, healing and luck.

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by Dram »

I will be creating a CG Magic user, I did not see one in the group. The starting gold for a 2nd lvl Magic User is 80gp?
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#34 Post by atpollard »

Dram wrote:I will be creating a CG Magic user, I did not see one in the group. The starting gold for a 2nd lvl Magic User is 80gp?
STARTING MONEY (to buy equipment): LAWFUL Good characters start out with 2x Max for a first level character. NEUTRAL Good characters start out with 1x Max for a first level character. CHAOTIC Good characters start out with Max/2 for a first level character.
Magic-user (LG) = 160 GP
Magic-user (NG) = 80 GP
Magic-user (CG) = 40 GP

From [HERE]

So the starting gold for a 2nd lvl Lawful Good Magic User is 160gp, the starting gold for a 2nd lvl Neutral Good Magic User is 80gp, and the starting gold for a 2nd lvl Chaotic Good Magic User is 40gp.

You are Second Level because of the difficulty of the world (good is outnumbered by 10 to 1) and Lawful characters have access to the resources of the KEEPERS while Chaotic Characters must personally find and take everything they need (Neutral Characters fall in between).

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#35 Post by atpollard »

Bluetongue wrote:Bogarde

Okay. Well with the character concept I have in mind, it would fit more under Ukko than the god of forestry and nature. I can imagine that Bogarde prays to Ukko via saintly intercessors or 'demi-gods' under Ukko such as represented by figures like St Cuthbert or the statue of Liberty or the Lady Justice which bears a sword and set of scales.

Does changing alignment alter much at this point?
A little, but I think you will find it for the better.

Lawful Good characters are not part of the Clan, so they have not arrived yet. Given the minimal posting in the action thread, I can easily edit Bogarde out. I just need to know for sure that you want to be Lawful (making you part of the "Keepers of the Flame" resistance movement).

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#36 Post by Bluetongue »

Bogarde

Oh. Do they have to be seperate groups? Could he still not start in the Ruin?

I think the switch of alignment makes sense for his faith. I see you have a new Paladin in Modric''s character. My 1/2 orc is going to be in awe of his shiny armour and blessed nature!

Okay, well whatever works for you and the campaign.

I will adjust his alignment and starting gold, inventory on character sheet.
Last edited by Bluetongue on Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Modric
Guide
Guide

#37 Post by Modric »

Character sheet posted. Just need background.

Can someone share the fighter saving throws? Thx!

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#38 Post by Bluetongue »

Paladin: THAC0 is 20 at level 2 but decreases to 18 at level 3.

Saving throws for 2nd level character.are 14 15 16 17 17

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#39 Post by atpollard »

Bluetongue wrote:Paladin: THAC0 is 20 at level 2 but decreases to 18 at level 3.
Saving throws for 2nd level character.are 14 15 16 17 17
That THAC0 seems silly (I know it is probably in the book, but 20, 20, 18 is a less logical progression than 20, 19, 18).

Feel free to keep 20, 19, 18 at the THAC0 progression for Lvl 1, 2, 3 if you want.

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#40 Post by atpollard »

Modric wrote:Character sheet posted. Just need background.

Can someone share the fighter saving throws? Thx!
Fill in the background after you start playing. I think it will help.

Return to “A Candle in the Darkness (1e)”