General Chat

Paladin
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: General Chat

#41 Post by Rex »

High calorie is key. Ghee, olive oil, avocado oil and macadamia nut oil are a great since they don't need to be refrigerated and are very calorie dense. Enough dried meat, nuts and cheese to get protein and good to go.

Ithril
Ranger
Ranger

#42 Post by Ithril »

I would imagine salted food would be fairly low odor as it is dried, no?

I

Valdus
Guide
Guide

#43 Post by Valdus »

I'm thinking fish jerky?

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#45 Post by Rex »

Dried and salted is low odor (even fish), Salted but wet is how most fish is done and it can be odorous.

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#46 Post by tibbius »

Fantasy background career:

Gull wrangler - keep the gulls from stealing the fish drying on racks by the boats.
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#47 Post by atpollard »

tibbius wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:19 pm Fantasy background career:

Gull wrangler - keep the gulls from stealing the fish drying on racks by the boats.
I can see it now ...

His chaps slapped in the breeze and his spurs jangled on the wooden dock as he walked his patrol. It was a sound that struck fear in the heart of every Gull. A pair of quick-draw holsters slung low and tied to each leg held his tools of the trade ... a pair of sawed-off fishing poles with a sinker and no hook fitted to the end of the line. Whenever a gull came to test him, the Gull Wrangler would swing that monofiliment line like an invisibe shield, smacking those approaching varmits away. Occasionally, a gull would get through to the fish and the Wrangler would cast the heavy sinker with deadly accuracy and kill the bird.

"Once they get a taste fer salted fish, there aint nothin to do but put 'em down." he said matter-of-factly.
Last edited by atpollard on Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"welcoming humbly His light and proudly His darkness" - e.e. cummings

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#48 Post by Rex »

They would eat the gulls too.

Valdus
Guide
Guide

#50 Post by Valdus »

A bit of random thinking to boost my daily dose of words-per-day. I almost overlooked this site because there was no "personal chat". Then I joined a few groups (thank you oh Paladin) and realized all the personal chat goes in in the games. This place is oh so blissfully different than so many others.

I still haven't felt, thought of, justified how or why Hornbrewer joined the party. Its still lost in a foggy cloud of mead.

So talking about nothing, how are the players of our characters?

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#51 Post by Rex »

I'm OK. As an aside there is also a Chat function, some of us play games by chat as well. Here is a link to the logs for one I play in.

viewtopic.php?f=903&t=9765

redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#52 Post by redwarrior »

Valdus wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:20 pm So talking about nothing, how are the players of our characters?
I'm doing pretty good. I'm struggling a little bit with the split between "I'm at home" and "I'm at work", since the 2 locations are about 5 feet distant from each other. This weekend, they will be about 2 feet from each other (new, 6ft long sit/stand desk showing up tomorrow. Personal Mac & Monitors will be on the left, work Windows & monitors on the right - eventually, I will set up a switch to cut the # of total monitors, but that will be a while - for now, I've five.), which will be awesome!

My employer FINALLY announced that we will be WFH through the end of the year, which gives a much greater ability to plan, hence the new desk coming. Ergo "office" chair is next up, then purchase monitors to replace work ones, then decide on switches, etc. My expectation is that for us (at least those of us in the IT realm), that the WFH will become the norm. There is talk right now of coming in 1-2 days a week long term, but I don't think it makes much sense to do so, unless everyone is in on the same days, you're still doing everything virtual....

The silver lining to all this is I am now in multiple games here and on discord, and have rediscovered a community that plays the games I remember from the 70's and 80's -- and similar ones. Everyone should fun the way they want, but when I tried to start gaming again last year, it was 5th edition everywhere, and I just do not want.

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#53 Post by ToniXX »

Valdus wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:20 pm So talking about nothing, how are the players of our characters?
Doing well here. I'm working on a freelance php project that is taking up a lot of my time, so I feel that I haven't been coming to the forums as much.

redwarrior, I'd like to see that home computer setup. Sounds intense.

valdus, how is this place different from others? I'm curious as to what you mean. It sounds like you mean it in a good way, which is good!
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

Paladin
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#54 Post by Paladin »

Unbearably busy. Reopening after the initial covid spike was borderline insanity here. So many people are on our lakes and wildlife areas just to get outdoors.

I'm still playing catchup at work. And likely will be until the end of October. Game time has all but vanished, but I still enjoy squeezing in a few minutes each day.

Life is good. Just too busy. Looking forward to autumn. And you definitely picked a good spot, Valdus. Plenty of pleasant folk here. :D

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#55 Post by atpollard »

Paladin wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:10 pm Plenty of pleasant folk here. :D
... but no fans of Knock, knock jokes it would seem. ;)

Working from work again. I got more work done at home, but they prefer to have the ability to interrupt me with a new crisis every day (sometimes twice a day).

I want to be able to walk into a restaurant without feeling like I am there to rob the place (if I don't pass out first). Did I mention that I am unconvinced that the masks are not worse than the virus. :(

At least I get to REF on the Unseen Servant between crisis at work and in the evenings at home.
"welcoming humbly His light and proudly His darkness" - e.e. cummings

redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#56 Post by redwarrior »

ToniXX wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:44 pm redwarrior, I'd like to see that home computer setup. Sounds intense.
I'll do before and after pics tomorrow & this weekend. If Fed Ex isn't lying, my stuff shows up tomorrow afternoon. I feel like a kid at Christmas! Or birthday (which is Monday, I'll be 52, the oldest I've ever been....)

Valdus
Guide
Guide

#57 Post by Valdus »

Of course I mean it in a good way. I think the first I could say about "US" is the very relaxed atmosphere here. I don't know if its a focus on retro games but the pace here is much slower, less intense than other sites. And I have been on them all.

I have never seen games as expansive as the ones on here (I am specifically talking about Inferno's 'The Once & Future Earth'). Each game is its own world. A great singular purpose- old style gaming. Thus I can tell that the gaming here is for an older crowd, another generation.

Now how I am doing. I am a full-time tired daddy. I stay home, take care of the house and make sure the child does not die. My wife is the one that works. But since the plague the child and I are here, barely going out. I have been lazily home-schooling and playing games with him (he is five). He adores rpg's, especially amazing tales and tunnels and trolls.

We also do a lot of work outs, dancing and cleaning the house- something we call "Dance, fight, clean!"

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#58 Post by tibbius »

Working from home - still - not much change in that.

Hating the cramped social life that comes with "social" distancing. But it seems to be working to keep transmission rates very low here in Connecticut. So I'm grateful for that. Scared shitless that one of my kids will get the virus with the coronary / vascular complications - bye bye athleticism, which is kinda the center of their lives.

Really grateful for the chance to game on here. A nice community as you've noticed, Valdus!
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Paladin
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#59 Post by Paladin »

Finally catching a day off tomorrow. Will try to get us a post up. Thanks again for being patient with me, fellas.

I've enjoyed immensely reading your posts this round. The humor is great. Life is a bit sideways at the moment, so laughter is a welcome break from the grind.

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#60 Post by ToniXX »

Sorry I've not been responding. I've been busy with my mom, who is a widow and having trouble walking. I'll try to catch up tonight.
Thanks
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

Return to “The Ruined Tower of Zenopus (Holmes Basic)”