dmw71
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: OOC I

#141 Post by dmw71 »

Scott308 wrote:
dmw71 wrote:
Dram wrote:I am playing Jacxor Ironforge a Eladrin Ranger. Is there a way to add the stats to play a Gloomwalker/Ranger from Xana I'm notthars Guide to DND Beyond?
I'm not sure what an "Eladrin" is, so let's start there....
You can only pick one non-PHB source, so I'd strongly recommend picking the aspect of the character you're most interested in and start there. If Gloom Stalker ranger, then pick XGtE as your +1.

If it's that race, I hope it's in an allowed sourcebook because the DMG isn't one of them.
The Eladrin is a subrace of Elf and is in Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes.
Thanks, Scott.

So, Dram, you could choose either the race (Eladrin) or archetype (Gloom Stalker), but not both, as they're from two different sources (and you're only allowed one).
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: Pregame Q&A

#142 Post by dmw71 »

ravenn4544 wrote:Would it be easier if each character maintained their own footer to prevent you from having to manage all that?
I appreciate the offer, but I don't see how this would work. Unless you're all individually going in and editing my posts (which I don't think you're even able to do).

If we were using the die roller sheets, and each person hosted their character details in a post they created -- yeah, that would work. With all the footer information being included/maintained/updated in my posts, it's kind of up to me. And it's fine. I'm used to doing it. They're just involved, and it's not always the easiest (especially when we're talking about so many characters, and tier two characters at that.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#143 Post by Dram »

dmw71 wrote:
Dram wrote:I am playing Jacxor Ironforge a Eladrin Ranger. Is there a way to add the stats to play a Gloomwalker/Ranger from Xana I'm notthars Guide to DND Beyond?
I'm not sure what an "Eladrin" is, so let's start there. I'm on my phone so maybe I'm missing something, but the only mention of Eladrin as a player race I'm finding is the following:
  • "Eladrin (Variant)
    This version of the eladrin originally appeared in the Dungeon Master's Guide as an example for creating your own subraces."
Was it added into a rulebook as an official race later? If so, which? I can review it if that's the case, but it isn't found in Xanathar's.

You can only pick one non-PHB source, so I'd strongly recommend picking the aspect of the character you're most interested in and start there. If Gloom Stalker ranger, then pick XGtE as your +1.

If it's that race, I hope it's in an allowed sourcebook because the DMG isn't one of them.

Eladrin was a variant subrace of elf that was in DnD Beyond maybe I did something wrong when choosing my options at the beginning. ANd the XGtE was where I read up on the Ranger/Gloom Stalker.
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#144 Post by Dram »

I fixed the character race to wood elf.
Last edited by Dram on Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current Characters/Games
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#145 Post by dmw71 »

Dram wrote:Eladrin was a variant subrace of elf that was in DnD Beyond maybe I did something wrong when choosing my options at the beginning. ANd the XGtE was where I read up on the Ranger/Gloom Stalker.
It's not you, it's them.

It is my single greatest frustration with D&D Beyond, but they did not extend the content management functionality to the character builder (meaning, any time you're building or leveling up your character, the player needs to be mindful of the options (especially spells) that they're selecting to make sure the option is from an allowed source.

It's ridiculous.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#146 Post by Dram »

dmw71 wrote:
Dram wrote:Eladrin was a variant subrace of elf that was in DnD Beyond maybe I did something wrong when choosing my options at the beginning. ANd the XGtE was where I read up on the Ranger/Gloom Stalker.
It's not you, it's them.

It is my single greatest frustration with D&D Beyond, but they did not extend the content management functionality to the character builder (meaning, any time you're building or leveling up your character, the player needs to be mindful of the options (especially spells) that they're selecting to make sure the option is from an allowed source.

It's ridiculous.
Thank You, I thought it was me. I fixed the character race to wood elf. I believe my character sheet is complete. Is there any magical items for 5th lvl characters?
Current Characters/Games
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#147 Post by Scott308 »

Dave said we won't start with any, but we'll start picking them up pretty quickly.

Remember, too, that Potions of Healing are available in the PHB for 50 gp, so I'd recommend characters pick up some if they have the cash.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#148 Post by Dram »

Ok will do so.
Current Characters/Games
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls

Scott308

#149 Post by Scott308 »

I know Dave would prefer a little smaller group (or two small teams if we had another player), but I'm glad we have this many players, as this is a nasty dungeon. We played part of it a few years ago for one of our marathon games, and there were deaths even though we all had the ability to buy reroll tickets which really make it easier to get through. There are some throwbacks to older versions of D&D- characters at multiple tables fell prey to the same instant death/ no save situation. We didn't get all that far, either, so I'm sure as we get deeper the dangers will get worse. It's gonna be fun!
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#150 Post by dmw71 »

So, you'd prefer a group of eight over two groups of four?
-- Project --
-- DM --

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#151 Post by Rex »

I am fine with whatever is easier for you. I think we could make a group of eight work, you may need to up an occasional encounter a bit but traps and whatnot would be fine.

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#152 Post by thirdkingdom »

dmw71 wrote:So, you'd prefer a group of eight over two groups of four?
I like big parties and I cannot lie.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#153 Post by dmw71 »

I think we'll do one large party. It'll probably be easier to run a single group (instead of trying to manage multiple groups) here in the same forum.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Scott308

#154 Post by Scott308 »

I would much rather have 8 players than two groups of four, especially for this one. In general, I prefer a bit bigger group- 6 or7 players. In fact, at conventions, I typically ignore games with only four players. Now, if it's easier for you to run smaller teams and that's what you'd rather do, then so be it, I'll play in a smaller group.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#155 Post by sulldawga »

dmw71 wrote:
dmw71 wrote:Next up is: Hadrian

sulldawga, there's a problem with your selected spells.
A few other things in addition to the previously mentioned spells.

Can you please:
  1. Add a height and a weight for him.
  2. Select the Personality Traits, Ideals, Bonds, and Flaws (from the Noble background).
  3. Also, we're also going to need to discuss (in your private forum) your noble background.
Height, Weight, Trait, Ideal, Bond, Flaw added. He's a bit full of himself but otherwise harmless.

I dropped those three spells you mentioned and added ones from the PH.

EDIT: Also buying four Potions of Healing for 200 gp.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#156 Post by dmw71 »

I think I'm going to ease up on the amount of information I'm collecting for the footer information. It takes a lot of time to complete each, and a link to the character sheet will point everyone to all the details. I haven't finalized my idea yet, but I'm leaning towards just tracking details that change. Things like hit points, spell slots, features used once per rest, etc....

I may expand them again later, but time is the enemy now (I am super busy!) so I'd like to avoid holding up the game another week (or two) simply because I haven't been able to transfer all the data from D&D Beyond into the forums here.

It will still be a while, but hopefully with my plans of scrapping the footers, we can get started here relatively soon.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Scott308

#157 Post by Scott308 »

That makes a lot of sense. Basic info- name, race, class, archetype should be included because sometimes, that's the only way I can remember who the other characters are. Things like Reaction- Opportunity Attack and the characters' potential combat options are pretty unnecessary, IMO. If you have a link to the character sheet on Beyond, it's easy to check. If there is something that is really unusual that might easily be forgotten (like Gruuthuk's 10' reach) but could affect enemy actions (gives him op attacks from farther away when enemies might not realize they are threatened) or if someone has the Polearm Master feat (allows an op attack when entering character's reach for the weapon- could result in dead enemy before it gets to attack), it might be useful just to keep that in your mind so they can be adjudicated automatically without having to potentially retcon things.

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#158 Post by Dram »

My character bought 4 healing potions.
Current Characters/Games
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#159 Post by dmw71 »

I hope to be able to begin reviewing the rest of the characters later today/early this week.

I'm hoping to be able to kick this thing off on or before Friday.
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#160 Post by dmw71 »

dmw71 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:27 pm I hope to be able to begin reviewing the rest of the characters later today/early this week.
Dram, please pick a different background for Jacxor. The 'Faction Agent' background is in Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide and you're using Xanathar's Guide to Everything as your +1 for your class.

Here is your available list to choose from:
-- Project --
-- DM --

Return to “Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)”