dmw71
Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Pregame Q&A

#181 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Scott308 wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:13 am
  • The Warlock has the second most HP!
:lol: I rolled just above average, but a good con helps out. The bigger concern is that the fighters/rangers mostly rolled low. :D

One thing I noticed when looking at the sheets, besides some really cool choices for backgrounds and frames, was that Xanlanan has 10k XP.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#182 Post by ravenn4544 »

I put 10k in there manually to get mid-way through 5th level (i added enough to advance a level then make changes on the sheet so I didn't mess anything up going up each level). I can change that to some other thing if that's preferred.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#184 Post by Marullus »

Thanks for thinking of Passive Perception! That's important!

Looking more critically:
* Stunning Strike is technically a new Ki ability. I would move it down to that line.
* With Agile Parry, her AC is almost always 18 unless flat-footed (which is already noted). Might help to annotate that under AC to remember.
* The "Deflect Missile Attack" is also a Ki point expenditure, if we're grouping those. (Just Deflect Missile is just a reaction.)
* Might be worth adding feats (Observant, Healer) to the features list. Good to remember she reads lips. :)

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#185 Post by dmw71 »

Marullus wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:12 pm Thanks for thinking of Passive Perception! That's important!
Says the player whose character has a 21 passive perception. :lol:
Marullus wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:12 pm Looking more critically:
* Stunning Strike is technically a new Ki ability. I would move it down to that line.
* With Agile Parry, her AC is almost always 18 unless flat-footed (which is already noted). Might help to annotate that under AC to remember.
* The "Deflect Missile Attack" is also a Ki point expenditure, if we're grouping those. (Just Deflect Missile is just a reaction.)
* Might be worth adding feats (Observant, Healer) to the features list. Good to remember she reads lips. :)
I have made these updates.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#186 Post by sulldawga »

Hmm, I had originally read the description of the Dueling fighting style as granting a damage bonus for wielding a melee weapon in one hand and having nothing else in the other hand. But a closer reading reveals I only need no other weapon. Which makes no sense but here we are.

I will add a shield!

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#187 Post by Scott308 »

I figured it was something along those lines. That's why I went through everyone's characters, looking for things that might have been overlooked/ misunderstood. Those were the glaring things I noticed. Looks to be a pretty balanced group skill wise, some heavy hitters in combat (2 Gloom Stalkers!), and someone whose Passive Perception should notice most things. Should be fun!
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#188 Post by dmw71 »

Scott308 wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:09 am Looks to be a pretty balanced group skill wise, some heavy hitters in combat (2 Gloom Stalkers!), and someone whose Passive Perception should notice most things. Should be fun!
We're positive that we want one large group instead of two smaller groups?
Groups.jpg
Groups.jpg (19.17 KiB) Viewed 1280 times

I'm worried the adventure isn't going to present any challenge for a group twice the suggested size.
-- Project --
-- DM --

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#189 Post by sulldawga »

I'm fine with two smaller groups. The question is: do you have the bandwidth to run two groups?

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#190 Post by dmw71 »

sulldawga wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:50 pm The question is: do you have the bandwidth to run two groups?
At a post-per-week, probably.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#191 Post by Rex »

I am fine either way.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#192 Post by Scott308 »

I would prefer the larger group, but would play either way. Being the only rogue, at least my party will be able to unlock things quietly. :) Seriously, though, there are ways to make the adventure a bit more difficult- some of which you have already implemented in the house rules. Not being able to spend hit dice during a short rest if we run out of food or water, for example, could be devestating. Or it may never come into play. Wands that don't recharge and potion miscibility are other ways it could become more difficult, or never have an effect. You can give enemies max hp instead of the average they have listed, and/or add enemies.

Since half the party requires a light source, we will be very unlikely to surprise anyone, removing the Surprise Attack feature from my Assassin. That will also make it very unlikely that the Gloom Stalkers will be able to remain in the dark and therefore invisible to anyone relying on Darkvision to see them. And no Cleric means no Spare the Dying, so any attempts to stabilize unconscious characters will require an action and physical contact- except for the Warlock's Healing Light, which is a bonus action and ranged.

We played with 7 characters (including two clerics), most (if not all) of whom already had magic items, and since it was a charity event, we had rerolls we could buy (and buy we did!) and everyone had a certificate for a free resurrection, two of which got used at the table, plus I had some auto-crits and Potions of Healing I earned through Extra Life donations. I don't think this will be nearly as easy as you fear it will be, but if it is we can try splitting up later on.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#193 Post by sulldawga »

I am going to drop from the game. Nothing against Dave, I really like him as a DM. But a post per week is tough for me to stay engaged and invested in the game.

Better for me to drop and make things easier for you all.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#194 Post by dmw71 »

sulldawga wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:49 pm I am going to drop from the game. Nothing against Dave, I really like him as a DM. But a post per week is tough for me to stay engaged and invested in the game.
I need to stick with the advertised posting rate (1-2 per week), but if we stick with a single group (more on this later), it will probably tend towards multiple updates weekly.

Will that make a difference in your staying involved?
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#195 Post by dmw71 »

Scott308 wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:30 pmI don't think this will be nearly as easy as you fear it will be, but if it is we can try splitting up later on.
I'll take your word for it.
Scott308 wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:30 pmYou can give enemies max hp instead of the average they have listed, and/or add enemies.
I might play with the numbers a bit, but I've never run an adventure at this level before so tinkering makes me a bit nervous.
-- Project --
-- DM --

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#196 Post by sulldawga »

Drop me to the wait list. There are always people who drop at the beginning of a game. If you lose anyone, I can jump in quickly with my already-made PC.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#197 Post by dmw71 »

sulldawga wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:22 pm Drop me to the wait list.
Fair enough.

Also, can everyone please find an image for their character to be used in map tokens? Thanks!
-- Project --
-- DM --

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#198 Post by Marullus »

I'm happy with however you decide to start, one group or two.

I think Scott's arguments are persuasive. I have no context personally, and am excited to try either way.

As work is resuming, I can't handle daily posting anymore. 1x or 1-2x week remains fantastic for me. :)
Also, can everyone please find an image for their character to be used in map tokens? Thanks!
BaronnessNellaToken.png
BaronnessNellaToken.png (141.52 KiB) Viewed 1264 times

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#199 Post by dmw71 »

Also, I've created a new 'Accounting' topic. If you want to make any deposits before beginning to reduce your encumbrance, let me know there.
-- Project --
-- DM --

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#200 Post by thirdkingdom »

dmw71 wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:37 pm
sulldawga wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:22 pm Drop me to the wait list.
Fair enough.

I hate to do this, but I think I've got to be moved to the wait list as well. I've been insanely busy at work and it doesn't look to let up soon, and I'm really trying to limit my online time at home to help out my wife (who's been home with my daughter since March). Sorry!

Return to “Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)”