5e OOC I

dmw71
torkill
Tracker
Tracker

Re: OOC I

#181 Post by torkill »

Rex wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:48 pm PS. sorry to everyone who has to read this many times, LOL.
It is very confusing when you are old and read the same thing in different places. All sorts of questions start running through your mind... Didn't I see this somewhere before? Am I in the right forum? Where else did I see this? Do I have Alzheimer's? Is this deja vu? ...but they all end with a shrug and the resounding sigh as you conclude that I am just old and easily confused. LOL

Have a good time!

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#182 Post by dmw71 »

My household was ravaged by a wicked bug (cold) over the weekend.

I am mostly recovered now, and hoping to get caught up on all my games later today.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#183 Post by dmw71 »

I am almost ready with the next update for this game, but it's pushing 4:00 am locally and I'm too tired to type coherent sentences any longer.

I'll almost certainly finish this later today (Friday).
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#184 Post by dmw71 »

Monsieur Rose wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:46 pm The morningstar to the face...
Sorry about that. :lol:

Welcome back!
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#185 Post by dmw71 »

Just dropping a note in all my games.

I was off from work today, and will be for the rest of the week -- meaning, my schedule/routine will be off. I will do my best to keep up with all my games, but expect for some randomness in my availability and posting rates.
-- Project --
-- DM --

LordKane77
Guide
Guide

Re: 5e OOC I

#186 Post by LordKane77 »

My character has been moved in the dice roller and I'm in the game via the character sheet as well. I should be set. Let me know if I'm not.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#187 Post by dmw71 »

Marullus wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:39 pm Point of Order: Do we have an inventory of anything/treasure found so far? We've been going for sixteen months and I have no idea anymore.
I don't recall much treasure actually having been discovered. (And not a lot of effort has been made to search (e.g. no one has stated they want to search these most recently dispatched bugbears) after different encounters.)

I'll need to go back through everything and confirm.

Marullus wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:39 pmIf the consensus is indeed to rest in the tavern, what does that mean for the thread, DM?
Ultimately, the initial 'Dungeon Level 1' topic is going to be locked and a new 'Dungeon Level 1 - Trip 2' topic created if/when the group returns to the dungeon.

In the interim, I have a draft already started to house all the "surface" activities.

Hopefully I will be able to post this soon.

Marullus wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:39 pm I would want to...
  • Refesh our spellcasters with a long rest. (With 550gp on deposit in Waterdeep, Nella will cover the cost of a night in the inn for anyone who needs it.)
  • Identify and divide ownership of any treasure/loot gathered so far to prevent later difficulties as we expand the party
  • Double-up on extra water skins based on the now-better understanding of the supply rules we'll be using (after realizing we all had only the single waterskin from our equipment packages). Everyone should re-read the water rules. You need two waterskins per-day of adventuring or risk levels of exhaustion (which are brutal). The house rule that you can't recover hit dice is removed. We haven't found any water sources in Undermountain so far. Water is heavy, so also look at Encumbrance.
  • Swap my wine supplies for water rations since it is ruled that wine isn't refreshing (and playing to her flaws for insipiration is deprioritized).
I am going to assume an overnight stay at the surface (e.g. long rest) and allow for any shopping to be done as well before retiring for the night.

This will mostly be hand-waved.

What I will need is for everyone to indicate their intentions -- maybe compile a single shopping list for the entire party as a whole -- and I'll just come up with the cost for everything.

Then, once the surface activities have been completed, we'll start up again fresh in the new (to-be-created) "Trip 2" topic.
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#188 Post by dmw71 »

dmw71 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:00 pmI don't recall much treasure actually having been discovered. (And not a lot of effort has been made to search (e.g. no one has stated they want to search these most recently dispatched bugbears) after different encounters.)

I'll need to go back through everything and confirm.
I just completed this review.

You have explored (or encountered) eight keyed areas so far, and have encountered nothing but goblins, bugbears, and the carrion crawlers. Aside from the opponents' possessions (e.g. armor, weapons), not a whole lot has been missed.

Keep in mind, this entry-level has been pretty heavily explored and previously looted.

That said, I won't just hand everything possible to discover over on a silver platter. Some effort will be required. Please be careful to make efforts to search areas, fallen opponents, etc..., especially the deeper into the dungeon you explore.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#189 Post by Marullus »

so, confirming: We have no treasures to distributeat this time.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#190 Post by dmw71 »

Marullus wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:39 pm so, confirming: We have no treasures to distributeat this time.
Correct.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#191 Post by Scott308 »

dmw71 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:00 pm (e.g. no one has stated they want to search these most recently dispatched bugbears)
Not exactly accurate:
Scott308 wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:14 am Gruuthuk

Lots goblins. Some dead, some not dead. Yet. Gruuthuk forcefully expels the contents of his nostrils in the direction of the nearest dead bugbear, which he then begins searching. Oh- and big worms hiding in bones. They found them, he says, gesturing vaguely behind him without looking to see who exactly he is gesturing toward. We scouting, he continues, gesturing at himself...and someone also vaguely behind him.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#192 Post by dmw71 »

Scott308 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:26 am Not exactly accurate:
My apologies. I will admit I missed that.

That said, the bugbears aren't carrying any worthwhile treasure. Only their weapons.
-- Project --
-- DM --

LordKane77
Guide
Guide

#193 Post by LordKane77 »

I'll grab their weapons. What's on them?

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#194 Post by dmw71 »

LordKane77 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:15 pm I'll grab their weapons. What's on them?
Assuming Gruuthuk doesn't take them, they're yours.

But please post this as an official action in the main action thread. I'll respond with the details of what is found to the action post.
-- Project --
-- DM --

LordKane77
Guide
Guide

Re: Dungeon Level 1

#195 Post by LordKane77 »

dmw71 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:54 pm
LordKane77 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:34 pm Have you all gotten enough gold to buy a bag of holding? It seems like the simple logical solution here.
That would be a logical solution... but thinking one will be available for purchase is a HUGE assumption.

Aren't we in a very large city? A bag of holding should practically be a given, especially for our level. So what's the deal? Is this low magic, or is there a percentage roll? What do I have to do to buy something that's not mundane? Or is there a problem buying mundane things as well? Just tell me the rules so I can operate inside them.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#196 Post by dmw71 »

LordKane77 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:34 pm Aren't we in a very large city? A bag of holding should practically be a given, especially for our level. So what's the deal?
Yes, you're in a large city, but no, items like that are absolutely not a given in games I run. In my games, they're probably more akin to artifacts, or items of extreme power (because they are).

No, this isn't a "low magic" campaign -- there are plenty of magic items available in the dungeon itself -- but, in a game where I stress resource management and track encumbrance, a Bag of Holding (or its ilk) are essentially game-breakers.

If one is specifically placed by the author of an adventure I'm running, I don't remove it, but I will almost never intentionally place one myself or even allow one to be easily purchased.

LordKane77 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:34 pmOr is there a problem buying mundane things as well?
Seriously?

LordKane77 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:34 pmWhat do I have to do to buy something that's not mundane?
Just tell me the rules so I can operate inside them.
You let me know what you're looking to have your character accomplish and I will let you know your options.

You want a Bag of Holding, sure, ask for it. It's not impossible. But, because of the type of game I run, they are extremely rare, and therefore equally difficult to come by.

And almost never for purchase.

Given their rarity, why would a person that does manage to come into possession of one be willing to give it up for coin, which can be easily come by?
-- Project --
-- DM --

LordKane77
Guide
Guide

#197 Post by LordKane77 »

dmw71 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:55 pm
No, this isn't a "low magic" campaign -- there are plenty of magic items available in the dungeon itself -- but, in a game where I stress resource management and track encumbrance, a Bag of Holding (or its ilk) are essentially game-breakers.

If one is specifically placed by the author of an adventure I'm running, I don't remove it, but I will almost never intentionally place one myself or even allow one to be easily purchased.[/ooc]

Nope, -^ that's exactly what I needed to know, and I appreciate you being forthright about it.

LordKane77
Guide
Guide

#198 Post by LordKane77 »

So on that note Decker is looking for 3 five gallon containers, preferably something collapsible? Or perhaps just a waterproof tarp would also do. Whatever is easiest available that will fulfill what you think is necessary for using "create water". I guess a few larger water skins would work? I can do a practice run if you'd like.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#199 Post by Scott308 »

Would waterskins in a quantity that would hold enough water to contain the spell work? How many would that be? I think that would be our best bet rather than large containers for travel purposes.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#200 Post by Rex »

If multiple containers are allowed, water skins would be best. If it has to be one then a waxed or oiled canvas or leather tarp would be best. It can be rolled up and secured to a pack and has lots of uses, even underground. I will be spending a couple nights this weekend under one in fact.

Return to “Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)”