5e OOC I

dmw71
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: OOC I

#161 Post by Marullus »

IC, I would definitely want to join up.

OOC, a large group makes it harder for individuals to get a voice and shine. At a table, it takes a long time to make it around an initiative order and back to a particular PC. (Oddly, play-by-post helps with this because we all post simultaneously and then the adjudication is also simultaneous.)

Running two groups concurrently in the same dungeon space is HARD. Usually too hard. I also would argue it is exponentially less fun as we engage in discovery/threat elimination only to find we're competing over the same threats and discoveries and become disheartened.

I usually recommend that we join forces (as one group of discoverers/threat eliminators) but break into two fire-teams as circumstances allow. The "you go left, we go right" option with a division of threats is probably the most satisfying without driving the GM crazy.

</twocents>

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#162 Post by dmw71 »

Marullus wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:54 pm OOC, a large group makes it harder for individuals to get a voice and shine.
This.

This is my primary concern.

I'm not opposed to going with a larger group, but I just don't want players to get lost in the noise, or for the game to bog down if we're waiting on nine responses to every decision before proceeding.

If we do go with a larger group, it might make sense to appoint a leader or two -- maybe determined by the most active users/players -- that will be responsible for making the simple decisions (e.g. which direction to turn) and driving the rest of the group.

And establishing a set of standard operating procedures so when a situation is presented, a default set of actions will be carried out without waiting for the responsible player to see the update/situation and respond.
This character will always inspect every door.
This character will always detect for traps.
Etc...
Marullus wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:54 pmRunning two groups concurrently in the same dungeon space is HARD. Usually too hard. I also would argue it is exponentially less fun as we engage in discovery/threat elimination only to find we're competing over the same threats and discoveries and become disheartened.
To this, my plan would be to run two completely separate instances of the same dungeon. The two groups would have ZERO interaction with one another, and every room, pending DM tweaks, will be identical for each group as they encounter it.

It would be the equivalent of in-person games where I would run one group through the module on Monday night and a second group through the same module on Tuesday night.

From a maintenance standpoint, it will definitely be easier to only have to run one game instead of two, but I keep circling back to the first point you made:
"...a large group makes it harder for individuals to get a voice and shine..."
I don't want the fun for anyone to be diminished because their characters get pushed to the background by more active players. Though, for some players, they may welcome this?

Which is why I'm glad we're having this discussion.

More thoughts?
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#163 Post by Scott308 »

I'm perfectly fine with a larger group. I think it allows characters that prefer a more background role to fall into that more readily. PbF actually does work better for large groups than in person, especially if you have certain standard orders to avoid delays. Having said that, if you prefer to do two groups, then take that route.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

torkill
Tracker
Tracker

#164 Post by torkill »

Who says if/when the 2 groups meet they won't just murder-hobo each other and the strongest survive to make 1 manageable-sized group? :twisted:

In all seriousness, though, I am fine either way. What ever is easiest on you, we'll make it work.

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#165 Post by Monsieur Rose »

We can make it work with a large group. Allowing multiple people to shine is partly on the players, and I think we can handle it.

I like the leader concept, and default decisions to move things along.

What I don't want is for you to be stretched too thin, but you will know what your capacity is. :D

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#166 Post by Rex »

I lean towards a larger group as well, but ultimately it has to work for you. The leader with protocols on how to deal with common situations is an excellent idea.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#167 Post by dmw71 »

Okay, cool. If/when (and it's when) the two groups meet, we'll go with the larger group. If it turns out that decision isn't working out, the group can always split up.

We'll figure it all out once the time comes.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Direjackalope
Runner
Runner

#168 Post by Direjackalope »

A surprise, to be sure, but a welcome one.
SmallPalp.jpg
SmallPalp.jpg (39.71 KiB) Viewed 467 times

LordKane77
Guide
Guide

#169 Post by LordKane77 »

You guys in group 2, do NOT tell the other group we're ALL clerics! I don't want them to get the wrong idea!

Scott308

#170 Post by Scott308 »

Hey, that might be the thing that keeps my Assassin from getting a surprise attack with advantage and doing 12d6 to someone! I mean, I'm sure everyone will be friendly!
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#171 Post by dmw71 »

I'm looking forward to seeing how that eventual meeting plays out. :D
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#172 Post by dmw71 »

Work is really kicking my ass right now, and as I have plans to take off Monday and Tuesday of next week for various appointments and what have you, I have a TON of work that I absolutely need to take care of between today (Thursday) and tomorrow.

I hate to say it, but I most likely will be not in a position to update any of my games again until this weekend (maybe) or early/mid next week.
-- Project --
-- DM --

torkill
Tracker
Tracker

#173 Post by torkill »

Thanks for the update. Hope life cuts you some slack soon. FYI - The wife and I escaped to the beach until Tuesday. My posting will be limited until then anyway.

LordKane77
Guide
Guide

#174 Post by LordKane77 »

Thanks for the update. Do your thing, man. Everyone understands. Good luck!

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#175 Post by Rex »

Heading into the woods for the weekend. I will be back Sunday night sometime. Feel free to NPC my character.
Have a great weekend,
Rex

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#176 Post by dmw71 »

Rex wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:53 am Heading into the woods for the weekend. I will be back Sunday night sometime. Feel free to NPC my character.
Have a great weekend,
Rex
Thanks for letting us know. I usually don't find myself checking in over the weekend so we're good to wait for your return.

-- Project --
-- DM --

Scott308

#177 Post by Scott308 »

So, Gamehole Con is coming up, and I'll be super busy. I'll be unlikely to post Wednesday- Sunday evening.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#178 Post by dmw71 »

Scott308 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:52 pm So, Gamehole Con is coming up, and I'll be super busy. I'll be unlikely to post Wednesday- Sunday evening.
Have fun!

I passed this year, but maybe next?
-- Project --
-- DM --

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#179 Post by Rex »

Enjoy!

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#180 Post by Rex »

Heading into the woods until the end of the month. I may be back for a day in the middle depending on how things go but don't count on it.. Feel free to NPC my character.
Have a great rest of the month everyone,
Rex

PS. sorry to everyone who has to read this many times, LOL.

Return to “Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)”