Chapter 1a: From the Dwarfworks

Marullus
Samwell Turleton
Ranger
Ranger

Re: Chapter 1a: From the Dwarfworks

#81 Post by Samwell Turleton »

Hannu Survage

Hannu keeps himself braced inside the cart when he sees the cliff face glow red. A rush of flame follows after and caresses the cart and the cliffs as the cart careens through. Hannu's skin flushes with the heat and a new layer of sweat forms on his bare chest and belly. A few of Bucket's tail feathers get singed showing Hannu how close this really came to being a much worse day.

The carts crash together abruptly ending the ride.

Hannu climbs out of the cart and sees the halfling glove maker bruised and covered in coal soot, Well, aren't you a sight for sore eyes!, Hannu chuckles gleefully and once again flips Bucket casually onto his shoulder by its spindly legs and sits gingerly onto a small pile of coal.

Fortitude Save [1d20] = 19, dam. [1d20] = 3

Samwell Turleton
Ranger
Ranger

#82 Post by Samwell Turleton »

I did roll a fortitude save but the new copy command in the dice roller didn't work correctly. I pasted in the roll the old way.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#83 Post by Marullus »

Since we're on a new page... Need Thorhall, Pegg, and Casper. (This group conveniently arrived at one PC per Player!)

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#84 Post by greyarea »

Casper the Dwarven Blacksmith

fortitude [1d20] = 4
Casper burns 4 luck points to bring that to eight

Casper quickly extinguishes the singed parts of what little beard he can grow, making sure his pride blankie is unburned. He will help Pegg out of the cart and scamper town the coal pile.

Faanku
Ranger
Ranger

#85 Post by Faanku »

"Laughing" Pegg, the Gongfarmer

The hulking woman is distraught at the loss of so many friends, but the time for grieving will come later. For now, she needs to make sure as many make it out of here alive as possible.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#86 Post by AleBelly »

Odlo, halfling glovemaker
Samwell Turleton wrote: Hannu climbs out of the cart and sees the halfling glove maker bruised and covered in coal soot, Well, aren't you a sight for sore eyes!, Hannu chuckles gleefully and once again flips Bucket casually onto his shoulder by its spindly legs and sits gingerly onto a small pile of coal.
Odlo is truly happy to see Hannu clamber out of the cart. But his recent losses weigh heavy on his mind and he can muster only a thin smile in response as he follows the man. He doesn't join him in sitting - he is too sore from the bucket adventure. He watches Pegg gather the others as they emerge from the carts, and he looks to the front cart, his eyes following the path of the first cart beyond its end to the three broken bodies.

"I don't suppose they will leave us in peace. I must leave the comforts of my home" he says ruefully. "Would you honor me by joining me in inspecting the fallen to see if they have anything that will help us?" He looks at Hannu, then the others then begins the walk down to Pox, Falnan, and Magna, watching overhead all the while for another dragon attack.

Samwell Turleton
Ranger
Ranger

#87 Post by Samwell Turleton »

Hannu Survage

I don't steal from the dead or I would have a lovely belt buckle right now...only the living.

Hannu pulls out the box with the beautifully decorated bird's egg and gives it a little look to make sure it survived the excitement of the day. It is safely nested into its bed of hay and rabbit fur padding.

How lovely!

He closes the box back carefully and places it securely back in his pockets.

Addressed to Hannu's shoulder, We had best be quick, we aren't safe yet.

Hannu starts descending the coal piles looking for a safe place to access the docks and remain unnoticed.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#88 Post by Marullus »

Characters:
  • AleBelly: Odlo
  • AleBelly: Tyv
  • Alethan: Thorhall
  • Faanku: "Laughing" Pegg
  • Faanku: Falnan Rosleigh
  • greyarea: Casper
  • greyarea: Pox
  • Samwell Turleton: Hannu Survage (3 / 4)
  • Samwell Turleton: Magna Jonsdottir
  • ybn1197: Brocard Bottomhill
Odlo slides down the mountain of loose coal, skittering over to where the bodies of Pox, Magna, and Falnan landed, bent in unnatural positions. He finds a sharp cleaver, side of beef, and a taxidermied calf-hoof on Pox the butcher. With Magna he considers her heavy leather apron and smithing hammer, a never-used nail and large taper candle in her pocket. Falnan the glovemaker has his awl, four pairs of gloves, a carefully-packed vial of holy water, and a well-worn leatherbound diary. Thorhall, Hannu, Casper, and Pegg also make their way down the coal mound, more concerned about the dragon wheeling in the distant sky.

The wooden docks of the warf stretch off to the south, lining the rim of the harbor, each pier sticking out like an extended finger. Thump woosh! flaming projectiles are being launched from the cliffside catapults above you, targeting ships out in the harbor. Having escaped the city thus far, you're loathe to escape back up through the shanties to the Dock Road, which would take you back up to the city proper above. That means you could escape along the warfs southward and eventually across the river which marks the end of dockside in that direction, or you could try to escape across the harbor and out beyond its shelter into the sea. Southward, the docks are shrouded in smoke, a number of buildings aflame... making the wooden walkways seem even more precarious. At the edge of the coal yard you see a barge, five dockhands trying to free themselves from the ropes and escape. They are thwarted by three large lizards, looking like wingless dragons, being goaded on by kobolds who jerk their chained collars. Two of the lizards are on the barge attacking the sailors, the third is on the pier, preventing their escape back onto land.

Actions!

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#89 Post by greyarea »

Casper says, Aye sais wae attik them laezards ant take dat barge ta saftae. He is pointing frantically to the barge and the lizard men acting as guards there.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#90 Post by AleBelly »

The halfling says a quick prayer for the departed and quickly decides what he should take. Maybe some protection could be fashioned from this he thinks and puts on the apron under the cultist robe. He takes the cleaver, beef (of course) and holy water, and leaves the rest, for that's all he can carry.

He hurries towards the others, short legs moving as fast as they can carry him.

He sighs at Casper's suggestion. Odlo was hoping to avoid another fight, but he sees the struggling dockhands and knows it's the right thing to do.

"Our robes may allow us to get close...surprise them" says Odlo.

I'm assuming we're still level 0 mooks, right?

Samwell Turleton
Ranger
Ranger

#91 Post by Samwell Turleton »

Hannu Survage

Hannu turns up his chin, I think I have had quite enough fighting for one day...you lead and maybe I can be of assistance. You'll notice I'm not wearing a matching robe.

Faanku
Ranger
Ranger

#92 Post by Faanku »

"Laughing" Pegg, the Gongfarmer

"I'll gladly put down a few more of these attackers." Pegg affirms as she closes Falnan's eyes and takes up his journal. "Lead on, Casper."

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#93 Post by greyarea »

Casper leads them to the assault on the lizards.

Samwell Turleton
Ranger
Ranger

#94 Post by Samwell Turleton »

Hannu Survage

One more time then, Hannu says while following a little distance behind.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#95 Post by Alethan »

OOC: Shoot. Sorry, all. Life kept me away from my laptop for a few days. I'll make my save throw first...

Fortitude Save (DC8) [1d20+1] = 16+1 = 17

Thorhall, Dwarven Blacksmith

Thorhall quite easily dodges the dragon's tail swipe, as if... as if it's something he's always known how to do.

"Aye, let's kill some lizards and koboldmen!" the stout dwarf mutters, readying his hammer.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#96 Post by Marullus »

AleBelly wrote:I'm assuming we're still level 0 mooks, right?
Yep! :mrgreen:
AleBelly wrote:Maybe some protection could be fashioned from this he thinks and puts on the apron under the cultist robe.
Indeed, her heavy leather apron is +1 AC.

Characters:
  • AleBelly: Odlo
  • Alethan: Thorhall
  • Faanku: "Laughing" Pegg
  • greyarea: Casper
  • Samwell Turleton: Hannu Survage (3 / 4)
  • AleBelly: Tyv
  • Faanku: Falnan Rosleigh
  • greyarea: Pox
  • Samwell Turleton: Magna Jonsdottir
  • ybn1197: Brocard Bottomhill
Considering the options and opting for direction, Casper leads down towards the barge, Thorhall, Pegg, and Hannu shortly behind, and Odlo feeling morally obligated but hesitant.

With Odlo's suggestion that the cultist robes might allow a surprise ruse, the group tries to keep up appearances. The five sailors are fighting for their lives against the two huge drakes aboard their barge, the third on the docks, it's kobold watching your approach. Before you can reach them, however, Casper is surprised by a fourth drake who leaps out from a stack of crates. The beast is wild-eyed and snarling, blood running down its side from a longsword embedded to the hilt in its shoulder.

"Hey, they're turnin' on each other!" shouts one of the sailors, seeing the drake attacking you. You hear a roar in the air far behind you, the dragon now turned about and flying in your direction, though some distance off, it's voice a sounding call...

Actions!
The sword-drake is immediately before you. The drake and kobold on the dock are 40 yards. The barge is tied there, so 45 yards.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#97 Post by AleBelly »

The protruding sword gives Odlo an idea. He attempts to move to the other side of the drake and make him a matching swordhole.

Odlo longknife attack [1d20+1] = 18+1 = 19, damage [1d6+1] = 3+1 = 4

Samwell Turleton
Ranger
Ranger

#98 Post by Samwell Turleton »

Hannu Survage

Hannu will assist in the strike against the drake and try to stick it in the mouth with the pitchfork.

Marullus, could you roll that on Hannu’s behalf? I am doing this from a phone.

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#99 Post by greyarea »

Casper the Blacksmith

Casper swings his mighty hammer hammer (as club) [1d20-2] = 4-2 = 2 dmg [1d4-2] = 3-2 = 1 and wishes he could get that swing back. Oops.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#100 Post by Marullus »

Casper, startled by the lizard, wiffs with his hammer, but draws it out of position to aid the others. Hannu wedges it's mouth wide open with his pitchfork (-6) as it tries to snap again at Casper and Odlo sinks the jeweled longknife into its side. (-4)The drake slumps to the ground, dead at your feet.

The others realize the Kobold still on the dock was watching the wounded drake, not you. "Not my fault!" it squeals, yanking the leash-chain and trying to make a break for it with his wounded, limping drake back down the pier (towards you) then south along the warf.
Those who haven't acted can choose to intercept it or let it flee.

The others on the barge are too busy, locked in their life and death struggle, to have noticed any of this yet.

Return to “The Fires of Wrath (DCC)”