OOC Game Discussion

Marullus
redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: OOC Game Discussion

#41 Post by redwarrior »

Thanks both... It looks like there's some judge's flex on a couple of them, but that'll be fun to figure out as I role-play Saral. His backstory is that he was a scribe for the (false) priest of Amun-Tor, and had assumed that it was all hokum and has just had a revelation otherwise, so there can be some fun as he learns the answers to the remaining. :D

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#42 Post by greyarea »

There's judges flex to nearly every rule in DCC. It's awesome as a judge.

Faanku
Ranger
Ranger

#43 Post by Faanku »

For the experts; how does Invoke Patron and Patron Bond work with Elves? Do they need to roll Mercurial Magic on them both, and do they start bonded to a patron already? If yes to the second question, what level of bond do they have? Can they improve it?

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#44 Post by greyarea »

Faanku wrote:For the experts; how does Invoke Patron and Patron Bond work with Elves? Do they need to roll Mercurial Magic on them both, and do they start bonded to a patron already? If yes to the second question, what level of bond do they have? Can they improve it?
This is how I've ruled it: No Mercurial Magic for Patron Bond, Yes for Invoke Patron. (You only really need to do Patron Bond once, after that you have a patron. If you break the bond with the patron, you can try to get another but even then you might not want to...) Invoke Patron is cast more regularly, hence the need for the Mercurial Magic.

For Elves: they do not start bonded to a patron but can do so immediately upon 1st level. Once Patron Bond is cast you cannot improve it, so burn those stats down if you can, and hope for a good roll.

I've seen players, even with Elves, put off casting Patron Bond until 5th level in the hopes of a stronger bond with their patron. And I've seen more than a few never cast it because why be in service to a patron when you don't have to?

Again, Marullus may rule differently than I have and it's his game.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#45 Post by Marullus »

Interesting - thanks for the insightful input! How about:

Clerics pick 2 spells in keeping with their Diety and randomize two spells. They don't need to use mercurial magic, but elves and wizards do. Those four remain picked (we can look at varying them with leveling up). Sound good?

For Patrons, I really like that flavor and am willing to require that elves have one at level one. I am flexible if it is a new bond or a renewed one, but roll for the Bond appropriately per the spell.

Faanku
Ranger
Ranger

#46 Post by Faanku »

Are we taking a max HD for level 1?
I'm definitely not asking because I rolled a 1 on Kinnard's warrior 1d12, of course ;)

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#47 Post by Marullus »

Okay. No max HP at level 1. (You already get to add 0-level hp.)

I will allow reroll of 1s on hit dice, though you to "take one-third" on all hit dice after a poor die roll.

Hit die = min hp
D4 = 1
D6 = 2
D8 = 3
D10 = 3
D12 = 4

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#48 Post by Marullus »

How are you guys feeling about converting to level 1? Any other questions?

I see Myantha still needs a Patron. Yes, she needs to roll for Mercurial Magic on the patron spells. (I like how that came out for the other elves.)

Everyone with a Patron needs to do their roll their Patron Bond spell for the initial rating. If you burn luck on this roll, then it affects the luck you have going into Chapter 2, even if you're ressurecting a bond you had created long before. If you're forming a new bond it is supposed to take a week - I will allow it in whatever time occurs during the transition to Chapter two. You can plan, roll, and then roleplay over "several days" and I'll work it in to the narrative.

Since Patron Bond can be cast on others as well, I'll leave that narratively open under the same rule. :) If any non-elf wants to join-up with an allied elf and their Patron, bonded together, they can share the ritual. The caster needs to make one roll per PC and spellburn separately.

Olga can also opt to cast Find Familiar before Chapter 2, but needs to follow all the rules and rolls for that, too. Note it requires a minimum of 10 points of spellburn which will impact your start of Chapter two, as well.

I love your Patron roleplay so far. You should all roleplay your patron bond actions and find familiar actions in the current threads. Include yoru solo RP aspects (visions, etc) as well as what can be witnessed by others so they can react accordingly.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#49 Post by Marullus »

For those picking languages: I appreciate rolling for them. If you'd rather pick something specific for your background you may do so. For those who have a clear past experience with the Empire (Odlo and Olga come to mind) you can pick Draconic. Those scholars native to the Northland could also justify Giant.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#50 Post by AleBelly »

Are alignment languages going to be used in this game? I only ask since I don't see them used often and Odlo rolled one as his additional language.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#51 Post by Marullus »

No, take another language.

Samwell Turleton
Ranger
Ranger

#52 Post by Samwell Turleton »

I don’t think I aligned Olga to a patron yet beyond writing the description. I am happy to go with the king of the elf lands.

Marullus - Do you want both the patron bond and familiar rolls now using my judgment on how to spellburn?

Are the following all combinations that could potentially affect the roll?
1d20 + level + int modifier + spellburn + luck + auto corruption + duration

Is there any duration benefit from casting over a few days at this point?

Languages:
Olga
Dwarf language
Language [1d100] = 20

Fljúga
Orc
Troglodyte
Languages [1d100] = 60, [1d100] = 66

Invoke Patron Rolls:
Fljúga
Patron mercurial [1d100-10] = 84-10 = 74
Tide of Ash

Olga
Patron mercurial [1d100-10] = 74-10 = 64
Wealful/Woeful Magic

Faanku
Ranger
Ranger

#53 Post by Faanku »

Still thinking over Myantha's patron, I was afk this weekend. I ended up looking over this impressive list, but thought I'd make sure third party sources were allowed before I got too invested.

https://ravencrowking.blogspot.com/2019 ... inder.html

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#54 Post by Marullus »

I am pretty flexible - just avoid the farsical. 😁

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#55 Post by Marullus »

From the Waterfall Gate thread:
If any player (in this group or not) wants to pick up Ylves the locksmith thief or the Scruffy Northman, Braided Sailor, or Matted Dwarf, they're available to become characters. Roll them normally (except for the bits already determined) and start roleplaying them here, first come first served.
From the Dwarfworks thread:
If any player is displeased with their survivor and wants to roll up one of the sailors on the barge, speak up.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#56 Post by AleBelly »

Do we roll mercurial magic effects for spells gifted to PCs by patrons? Or is this covered by the patron spell? Or is there no effect?

Thanks...looking forward to Chapter 2!

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#57 Post by Marullus »

...it depends which is more interesting. :)

Fluja I definitely want to have her spells use her same mercurial magic. I think invoking the Fates causing a Ride of Ash is very thematic.

If Onnekas mirrors himself with the Spiderverse every time, I didn't see the same synergy. Thinking about it today, I thought "what if it is like budding?" If joining the central plant consciousness causes your awareness to literally bloom with temporary copies? That I could get behind.

BUT... I am open to consider a different ruling. If you want to roll and see if the other spells have a more interesting result, we can do so, then decide.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#58 Post by AleBelly »

I like the idea of rolling and seeing what is more interesting...

Onnekas Mossycoat mercurial [1d100+10] = 88+10 = 98

Natural born talent (spellcheck gets +2 on dice chain, so 1d30)
:shock:

Onnekas Sussurus of trees mercurial [1d100+10] = 17+10 = 27

No range. Not sure how that would even work. The range gets better with increased spell check, and I guess I'd have to be standing 10' away?

Meh. I'm inclined to stick with the invoke patron for all.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#59 Post by Marullus »

Plant budding it is. :)

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#60 Post by Marullus »

I would like all level 1 PCs posted before you move into Chapter 2.

Any questions?

Return to “The Fires of Wrath (DCC)”