OOC Game Discussion

Marullus
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: OOC Game Discussion

#21 Post by Marullus »

Four humans humans of various sizes and a large dragonkin - think man-sized Dragonborn from 5e. The Dragonborn was Pegg-sized. The humans would fit a human or dwarf with minor adjustments. (I want to be broadly permissive.)

Kobolds are mentioned as Kobolds (and yes, their robes would fit the halflings).

Yes, donning the robes changes your narrative positioning for future actions. (Assumed it was your reason for this attack.)

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by Marullus »

Progress and Process Updates

Several of the groups are completing chapter one (or soon will). I am posting directions for you to continue freeplay amongst each other as you process your experiences from the day and also end up leveling up and choosing your level 1 class.

I expect that you will pick one or two characters to continue on. If you had more than that survive, pick favorites. The rest can fade to the back for the time being.

If you had all your characters die (sorry Sirravd), then you can roll one of the rescued NPCs into a PC.

My intention for now is to combine down from four groupings to two groupings. We'll see how the stories go to determine how that happens. :)

Life and stuff

I am taking the kids to visit the grandparents for the holiday weekend (availability not yet known, but small updates from the phone usually work).

On Monday, my four-month quarantine comes to an end and I have to go back to work. That also may result in delayed posting. Thus, whittling down to no more than two concurrent stories.

Samwell Turleton
Ranger
Ranger

#23 Post by Samwell Turleton »

Character Development Question:

-Should we pick from the list or would a player/DM collaboration for patrons be alright?

Faanku
Ranger
Ranger

#24 Post by Faanku »

Is Mercurial Magic a rule for elf and cleric spells as well as wizards?
And have we recovered any Luck?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by Marullus »

I was allowing you to pick from the listed Patrons. If you really want a collaboration on something different you can make a pitch, but it's a high bar.

Yes, you all recover Luck. Use your full value for your 1st level rolls.

Mercurial magic applies to all spell use. Wizards and Elves risk Corruption and Clerics risk Disapproval.

Samwell Turleton
Ranger
Ranger

#26 Post by Samwell Turleton »

Just to make sure I am looking at the right things, the patron list is this:
Bobugbubilz
Sezrekan the Elder
Azi Dahaka
The King of Elfland
The Three Fates

These need to be built out more because they are incomplete:
Yddgrrl
Obitu-Que
Ithha

A new patron would require:
Theme
Invoke patron results table
Patron taint
Patron Spells
Spellburn

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by Marullus »

Looks right. I agree the Patron list is underwhelming. I do want to use the book as-written if possible just for simplicity. I will consider if you write up all those elements.

We can also consider the ones compiled here:
http://www.goodman-games.com/forums/vie ... 73&t=43733

I encourage anyone with DCC experience to weigh in on the balance and playability of any proposal - I haven't run DCC extensively, which is part of my discomfort with hacking this ruleset.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by AleBelly »

For Onnekas, I had a druid-like elf in mind, and Yddgrrl seemed perfect. I found an complete patron list for Yddgrrl here:

http://santicore.blogspot.com/2016/11/d ... pells.html

However, patron taint 4 looks problematic to me...it's actually a benefit, which I don't think is consistent with how this is supposed to work. I might like to modify that, but if you're ok with this I'm going to have Onnekas choose this patron.

One other question: when you say "full value" for 1st level rolls, this is talking about luck modifier? And should we begin rolling HP and other stuff for lvl 1?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by Marullus »

I meant full Luck score, with Luck refreshed. :)

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#31 Post by greyarea »

There are a number of patrons and gods in other sources as well: The DCC Annual has seven gods and ten patrons, all complete. Some zines have them (Crawl! #1 has a new patron, for example) and a few 3rd party modules have them. Angels, Daemons, and Beings Between and its sequel have a plethora of them as well.

As long as Marullus is cool with the patron and/or god, it should be allowed, I think.

As to balance and playability, balance isn't really a thing in DCC ;) and I've seen a ton of house rules bolted on, with almost no effect on playability. (That said, if the house rule doesn't work, get rid of it. "Rulings, not rules" is the rallying cry of DCC Judges worldwide. Horrible rallying cry, I know, but "It's TPC time!" just doesn't have the same ring to it.)

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by AleBelly »

Thanks for the perspective, greyarea. On another note, it's hard to stay away from the Great Pumpkin patron posted by Marullus!

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by AleBelly »

Going to ask another question since I'll have time this weekend but things then get pretty crazy for me work-wise. I'd like to determine spells, mercurial magic, etc. for my elf this weekend so I can give it due attention. My understanding of the process is:

At 1st level 4 spells that can be learned are determined randomly (for elves, add patron bond and invoke patron). ..for first level this entails 1d27 and re-rolling duplicates. Then we do d100 with luck mods to determine the mercurial effects of the spell.

Ability to understand spell only applies when new spells are encountered. If the mage's spells all suck then they can petition for a couple swaps.

Does this sound right?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by Marullus »

:lol: :lol:
Not that I specifically advocating the Great Pumpkin. ;) The thread advocates that it is collecting links to all other published sources.

Yes, that process is correct. :)
If you have INT 14+ then you can get more than 4 spells. See table 1-1.

redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#35 Post by redwarrior »

It looks like the internet gods ate my first attempt at this post.... So, Cleric questions that weren't immediately obvious to me from scanning the DCC book:

1. Do Clerics have to roll to learn spells, or do they have the full first level book available?
2. Do Clerics have to designate their learned spells for the day, or do they petition their god in "real time?"
3. Does laying of hands burn a spell slot, or is it an ability outside of the spells? Same for turning. It seems to be in addition to spells, but I want to make sure.
4. Mercurial Magic. Does the Cleric roll on the table the FIRST time a spell is used, or do they roll EVERY time the spell is used? (I could see it either way, given that divine magic may be more random than Arcane Magic.)

Finally, any chance we have 1st level full HP house rule? :D

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#36 Post by Marullus »

Not much time today for me to double-check. Anyone else able to answer that?

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#37 Post by greyarea »

redwarrior wrote:It looks like the internet gods ate my first attempt at this post.... So, Cleric questions that weren't immediately obvious to me from scanning the DCC book:

1. Do Clerics have to roll to learn spells, or do they have the full first level book available?
2. Do Clerics have to designate their learned spells for the day, or do they petition their god in "real time?"
3. Does laying of hands burn a spell slot, or is it an ability outside of the spells? Same for turning. It seems to be in addition to spells, but I want to make sure.
4. Mercurial Magic. Does the Cleric roll on the table the FIRST time a spell is used, or do they roll EVERY time the spell is used? (I could see it either way, given that divine magic may be more random than Arcane Magic.)

Finally, any chance we have 1st level full HP house rule? :D
1. Judge's discretion. I make my players roll.
2. Memorize ahead of time (or if they only have four spells known at 1st level, then it doesn't matter.) Spells are not lost when miscast, you just gain disapproval.
3. They don't use a spell slot. Lay on hands as often as you'd like, but you risk disapproval with every roll. Healing those of opposing alignment (Lawful healing Chaotic or vice versa) always gains disapproval. And sometime more than one point at a time.
4. Mercurial magic only applies to wizards (and elves, those who use wizardly spells) not clerics. Clerics also do no spell burn.

BTW, disapproval can suck.

And that last question is best left to the our Judge, Marullus.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by AleBelly »

Hi,

I nosed around a bit when I was considering a cleric for Rikke. There doesn't seem to be consensus on this, but there's some good discussions on various fora:

http://www.goodman-games.com/forums/vie ... 73&t=40056

From what I've read, here are the answers to questions:

1. Do Clerics have to roll to learn spells, or do they have the full first level book available? Up to the judge, apparently. Some allow player to select in keeping with deity, others roll randomly, others do hybrid (pick a couple and randomly determine a couple). Some judges allow access to all spells, but they must be designated the day before (see #2)
2. Do Clerics have to designate their learned spells for the day, or do they petition their god in "real time?" My understanding is that clerics have four spells they can cast each day...they never really "lose" them. So the question is whether these four spells are fixed or if they are varied each day. That's up to the judge, apparently.
3. Does laying of hands burn a spell slot, or is it an ability outside of the spells? Same for turning. It seems to be in addition to spells, but I want to make sure. To my reading these are abilities outside spellcasting and are innate to all clerics.
4. Mercurial Magic. Does the Cleric roll on the table the FIRST time a spell is used, or do they roll EVERY time the spell is used? (I could see it either way, given that divine magic may be more random than Arcane Magic.) By rule it appears clerics don't use the mercurial magic table, but like everything else this could be changed.
Last edited by AleBelly on Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#39 Post by AleBelly »

Ha - I got ninja'd. But glad to see my answers were the same as greyarea!

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#40 Post by greyarea »

AleBelly wrote:Ha - I got ninja'd. But glad to see my answers were the same as greyarea!
:D

Return to “The Fires of Wrath (DCC)”