OOC Game Discussion

Marullus
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

OOC Game Discussion

#1 Post by Marullus »

This thread is for ongoing OOC discussion or questions regarding the current IC scene(s).

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: OOC Game Discussion

#2 Post by Marullus »

You guys are awesome! I love the characters already populating. I look forward to this story. :)

I've provided some basic setting to orient you. I encourage narrative freedom - any race/culture can be present within the seaport or you can embrace the nordic feel of the larger culture. Please play with a "Yes And" model - you can add things in your narrative and as long as they're reasonable I'll work to incorporate them.

Go ahead and post initial actions in the Chapter 1 thread. I encourage you to play off each other and NPCs. Meet in the streets, establish that perhaps you already know some people, coallesce into groups as you try to survive this disaster. (Do all the fruit vendor PCs know each other? Who's cart is Sigurd hiding behind?) I'm okay arbitrating multiple clusters as you work through the chaos of the scene. Your own PCs could be together or separate.

If you have a story idea brewing, write it. :) If not, that is also okay - just place your characters in the Center Plaza with the morning vendors and be part of the central mass. Story can evolve in play; your characters round-out as they interact with the story and with each other. I am giving wide narrative freedom but it isn't meant to be overwhelming.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Marullus »

Why did I change the random item to an heirloom item?

Recent conversations with a friend highlighted that DCC is inherently written from a very Gamist perspective. Don't get attached because at least half the PCs will die quickly, and don't worry about being underequippef because as the number of PCs drops those left alive will accumulate what they need.

I am a strongly Narrativist GM, and that speaks to me in a different way: storytelling via objects! There is a real expectation that your meager belongings will last longer in the game than many or most characters. By giving you narrative freedom to have ANY item as long as you attach some emotive value to it, you all are working meaningful items into the game from the get-go. As you're introducing characters, initial relationships are forming. As you suffer the crucible of the story, more bonds form. As characters die, their belongings carry on, laden with the emotions and questions raised in their new owners, adding an additional layer of meaning in the ongoing tale.

This is a quick-start funnel method and so much about each character evolves and develops in play, as the story unfolds! I love what you all are posting so far and look forward to weaving the tale together between you. Just thought I would add this explanation from my brain... I also look forward to the legacy that carries forward post humously as your heirlooms survive.

:)

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Marullus »

Looking for updates from:

ybn1197 Brocard Bottomhill Halfling Vagrant
ybn1197 Piers Herbalist

sirravd Liss Elven Chandler
sirravd Syuun Costermonger
sirravd Ilwegg Potato Farmer
sirravd Zeluhun Mercenary

Once I have those, we can get started. :)

Please place yourself in the crowds going to the Land Gate, trying to sneak out the Waterfall Gate Sally port, or Dockside.

Faanku
Ranger
Ranger

#5 Post by Faanku »

Kinnard rolled a holy symbol; is there an established pantheon in this setting, or am I free to invent a deity?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Marullus »

We're homebrewing - you have narrative freedom.. I established that there's Norse dieties and a dragon cult. Also assume everything in the DCC book is in play (and those are the easiest to use).

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Marullus »

Marullus wrote:Looking for updates from:
sirravd Liss Elven Chandler
sirravd Syuun Costermonger
sirravd Ilwegg Potato Farmer
sirravd Zeluhun Mercenary
sirravd, I went ahead and divided up your PCs between the Land Gate and the Dockside. Look for them there as I get those subthreads posted and join in.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Marullus »

Last grouping is Dockside. But I need to go to bed. They need to wait until tomorrow. :)

Samwell Turleton
Ranger
Ranger

#9 Post by Samwell Turleton »

Chapter 1a: From the Dwarfworks

Magna assumes the dwarves have some knowledge of the mines and will go along with them and 'Laughing' Pegg if they choose to go that direction, otherwise will follow the dwarves into an attack.

Hannu wants to do whatever appears to be the most fun to him - from his observations the option that seems the most fun is the surprise attack.

From my perspective I want to send someone on a coal bucket ride

We also have Brocard and Falnan to hear from so I am curious what their contributions will bring to that unfolding debate.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Marullus »

True. I'm sure Brocard and Falnan will post soon. (Or, Falnan is still passed out under Pegg's arm!)

I am excited for all of the options. :) :lol:

GM reflection...
MAN - killing you guys is HARD. Even with the expectation (and practically requirement) that some of you die, it goes against all my instincts. Thank you guys for all being SO awesome.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#11 Post by Alethan »

Marullus wrote: GM reflection...
MAN - killing you guys is HARD. Even with the expectation (and practically requirement) that some of you die, it goes against all my instincts. Thank you guys for all being SO awesome.
Honestly, I think starting out with a couple of 0-level characters and playing them out like this is a fantastic idea. One thing you learn if you enjoy the OSR and play early versions of D&D rule sets is that characters die so don't get attached to them.

And nothing kills a game faster for me (one I'm playing or an actual-play podcast) than a GM rescuing a character.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#12 Post by redwarrior »

I've never done DCC before, and I've got to say, I am really digging the whole "shotgun start" to character creation and winnowing. Being able to create SEVERAL viable characters in less than an hour is a new experience. I'll admit, I've come to be drawn to a couple of my characters more than the other two, and was a little sad to see my elf die quite so quickly. But that just means she'll be reincarnated in another setting in the future. I've also never done 0-level before. While I'm not sure what I think of it overall from a mechanism POV (suddenly, I can just cast spells, without years of being an apprentice? etc.), I REALLY like it from a narrative POV. With both Hild and Bork, I can see them going different ways (Fighter, Cleric and Fighter, Thief), and I like the idea of "discovering" which path they take.

Samwell Turleton
Ranger
Ranger

#13 Post by Samwell Turleton »

I agree that it is a really interesting approach! I see a lot of opportunity going forward to build off these scenes and the relationships that are forming - or ending abruptly - to inform a character's development. I have characters from everyone that I am cheering on in my head and am eager to see who makes it and how. I am also a little on edge to see how they don't make it as well!

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Marullus »

Glad to be back! Camping was good. Cut it short one night to get back before the rain. :)

I think everything is updated. Am I missing anything?

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by AleBelly »

Glad to hear it!

To add to the others, I really like this funnel concept. Although I had my highest hopes for Tyv :cry:

I have a question about halfling abilities - can they "donate" their luck at 0 level, or does that have to wait until 1? How about two-handed fighting? I assume that waits until level 1?

Samwell Turleton
Ranger
Ranger

#16 Post by Samwell Turleton »

I need some rules clarifications, if that is alright:

- Luck modifiers and the luck table - does a negative luck modifier penalize that specific roll for a character?
(for good or bad) makes me think that these are negative modifiers as well, correct?
- Does the luck need to be spent before the roll or is it used after to modify a roll?
I read this in the Ability Scores section as you burn the luck before the roll for a modifier
- Does any attribute modify the attack roll?
I don't see any but I am not certain it isn't somewhere outside of the ability scores section.
- How can rolling against luck be used in our current predicaments?
Ability scores section suggests you can do a Luck check but I am curious if you want to include that in these early funneling stages
- Does the birth augur have any effect for the character if the luck doesn't modify it?
I am assuming no.
Last edited by Samwell Turleton on Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:20 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Marullus »

AleBelly wrote: I have a question about halfling abilities - can they "donate" their luck at 0 level, or does that have to wait until 1? How about two-handed fighting? I assume that waits until level 1?
That all waits for level 1.

Page 21:
0-level demi-humans are able to utilize select racial
traits as follows: dwarves have infravision and a base speed
of 20’; elves are sensitive to iron and have heightened sens-
es; and halflings have infravision and a base speed of 20’.
Refer to the dwarf, elf, and halfling class descriptions for
more information on these abilities. 0-level demi-humans
speak Common plus their racial language, with additional
languages gained as they level up. Just as all characters gain
improved abilities and, sometimes, additional languages
when they reach level 1, demi-human
characters polish their natural talents
through adventur-
ing.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Marullus »

Samwell Turleton wrote:I need some rules clarifications, if that is alright:

- Luck modifiers and the luck table - does a negative luck modifier penalize that specific roll for a character?
(for good or bad) makes me think that these are negative modifiers as well, correct?
- Does the luck need to be spent before the roll or is it used after to modify a roll?
I read this in the Ability Scores section as you burn the luck before the roll for a modifier
- Does any attribute modify the attack roll?
I don't see any but I am not certain it isn't somewhere outside of the ability scores section.
- How can rolling against luck be used in our current predicaments?
Ability scores section suggests you can do a Luck check but I am curious if you want to include that in these early funneling stages
- Does the birth augur have any effect for the character if the luck doesn't modify it?
I am assuming no.
Initial luck modifier applies to the Birth Auger forever - positive or negative, and no matter how the luck score changes over time.
(Current luck impacts crits and fumbles.)

Luck may be spent after the roll to modify it.

Like other OSR games, Strength modified melee hit and damage and Agility modifies ranged hit (but not damage). See p. 18.

I will allow you to roll versus current Luck Instead of any of the savings throws I am asking for. (Good question)

Birth Augur doesn't have a mechanical effect if initial luck is +0, but it can have a role-play one. They are still the "stars you are born under." Role-playing to that and to your Alignment are how I am supposed to restore your spent Luck.

Samwell Turleton
Ranger
Ranger

#19 Post by Samwell Turleton »

Thank you!

I guess need was a strong word - I wanted clarifications. :)

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by AleBelly »

Marullus wrote:Characters:
  • AleBelly: Odlo
  • AleBelly: Tyv
  • Alethan: Thorhall
  • Faanku: "Laughing" Pegg
  • Faanku: Falnan Rosleigh
  • greyarea: Casper
  • greyarea: Pox
  • Samwell Turleton: Hannu Survage (3 / 4)
  • Samwell Turleton: Magna Jonsdottir
  • ybn1197: Brocard Bottomhill
"There! Right there! We hide in the hay!" Tyv points to a few mounds of hay spilled from an overturned cart at the mouth of the alley, still glistening with morning dew. They lie directly in the path of the approaching cultists. He begins to gurgle as an arrow appears through his throat. Streams of blood spurt from his neck as he collapses, death taking him so suddenly the smug smile never leaves his face. The small chest he held cradled under one arm tumbles and rolls to the side. The surprisingly well-dressed man lies face down, the blood pooling under his face. His belt, fastened with an ornate green-patinaed copper buckle, holds both his dagger in its sheath and his pouch.

Leaving him dead on the cobbles, the others turn and flee the arrows into the narrow alley away from the kobolds, ducking around the bend and using the haystack to hide along the path of the approaching cultists. Only Hannu is otherwise affected by the incoming volley, taking an arrow shaft in his buttock. He yelps and leaps, making his red-feathered chicken squawk in protest.

The party waits as the half-dozen cultists approach; the hiding place is indeed sound. You leap out and catch them totally by surprise! The largest man, who walks at the front, falls as Odlo stabs him in the kidney with his awl (-5) and Thorhall clubs him in the head with his smithing hammer (-2). Pegg stabs the next man with her hand-trowel, catching him in the throat (-4) and dropping him like a sack of nightsoil. Broccard, the halfling most accustomed to self-defense, catches the next cultist in the stomach with his club, then knocks him unconscious on the head (-5). Falnan waves his sewing awl wildly, but forgot to open his eyes, still holding them squinched tight in terror (critical fumble), luckily harming no allies. Half of the cultists were on the ground before they even realized what was going on.

The large dragonkin at the rear roars and steps forward, but the party still has the advantage. Thorhall hits him with his smithing hammer (-1), as does Magna (-2) before Hannu finishes him with a fierce stab from his pitchfork (-3), to the loud protests of his squawking hen and the pain in his buttock as the arrow jostles around. Pegg drops another man with her trowel (-3), her meaty arms making the tiny trowel a deadly weapon. Brocard hits the last man with his club (-2) only winding him -- still standing, the last cultist turns and starts sprinting down the alley croaking as he tries to draw a breath to sound an alarm...

Back down at the intersection, you see three kobolds edging out cautiously into the center of the Square, heading towards Tyv's body. In the other direction, it is at least 100 yards to the Jeweler's Square, where the looting cultists seem preocupied, having not yet heard any alarm yells.

Wow! Quick work, there! Next actions!
Initiative: Us [1d6] = 5 Them [1d6] = 1

Pox needs his second attack. Also, Pox doesn't take a -2 penalty.
Pox second attack [1d20] = 12[1d6] = 5
Falnan critical fumbles on surprise attack with his awl
Falnan fumble [1d4] = 1 -2 = -1
You miss wildly but miraculously cause no other damage.
Thorhall didn't post.
Thorhall Dodge [1d20+2] = 15+2 = 17 arrow [1d4] = 1
Thorhall Hammer [1d20] = 18[1d4] = 2[1d20] = 18[1d4] = 1
Awesome! So there are four dead human cultists and one dead kobold? Is it reasonable to assume the kobold cultist garb would fit halfling/dwarf and the human robes would fit human/elf?

Also, would it seem useful to the characters to don the robes to help with either evasion or surprise attacks?

Return to “The Fires of Wrath (DCC)”