[Closed] 4: Terror in the Mountains

Starbeard
Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: 4: Terror in the Mountains (Senichi)

#21 Post by Starbeard »

Those are good points. The scrolls can easily be wrapped and carried without being touched. You will probably want to do something with them quickly and quietly, since it is highly illegal to be in possession of them or even talk about them openly (though in your circumstance, an honest bureaucrat would have no reason to doubt the story of how you came by them, if caught).

Senichi and Shoe would both be in a position to observe the scrolls, and their Sense/Commune/Summon spells can always be used creatively to discover things about the scrolls and how they might be unmade. Their teachings say that the more these scrolls are handled, the more risk there is of corruption.

Two quiet, hands-off options are to show the scrolls to the shugenja priests at the Mountain Shrine (they are the first stop for cleansing rituals, though they may not know much about black magic lore itself regarding the scrolls), or to the monks at the Monastery (I'm still slowly putting things together to kick off the next game phase, but long story short: Kenta meets a monk from the monastery and discovers that they have a small library up there, so these monks probably have the most lore of anyone in Beiden Pass).

As for disclosing the actual events that took place, I think that intention can be handled reasonably. Unless someone wants to chime in with another option, I'll assume that you all disclose to the daimyo's court exactly what happened (except for the scrolls part, unless you want to) but stress that the eta villagers were victims who tried but failed to stop the cultists, and that you believe Headman Hachiro is the only other villager who knew and kept silent.

Captain Kinkajou
Ranger
Ranger

Re: 4: Terror in the Mountains (Senichi)

#22 Post by Captain Kinkajou »

Thanks for the clear explanation Starbeard. Based on what you've said, for my/Aiko's part, I feel (unless you'd advise to the contrary) I'd be in favour of broadly the following course of action regarding the scrolls:
  • Wrapping the scrolls and taking them with us.
  • Assuming they are willing, getting Shoe and/or Senichi to look at the scrolls and advise on how to safely destroy or unmake them
  • If we can safely destroy or unmake them, do so and report what happened including the scrolls and their destruction to the authorities / Lord Nasu
  • If we can't safely destroy or unmake them, report what happened including the scrolls and that we do not know how to destroy or unmake them, and turn them over to the authorities / Lord Nasu.
As far as the remainder and disclosing the actual events that took place in the manner you describe, you have it exactly as I see it.

Though, happy to discuss and adjust if anyone else has other ideas.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: 4: Terror in the Mountains

#23 Post by Starbeard »

I’d like to skip ahead to important decisions as quickly as possible, so there’s a bit of ground to cover here. I’ll try to keep everything brief and salient. This post will cover the wrap up of arriving at the castle, and your rewards, and the next post will cover individual actions, hooks and so forth to introduce new characters and get things rolling.

Beiden Hill Manor is a rustic estate that sprawls across every slope and shoulder of the hill, and only the more important buildings are on par with or upscale the cozy buildings of Soft Wind Village. There are stories of a great castle with stone foundations standing on this hill centuries ago, but you see no evidence of that now.

You are quickly conducted into the estate and up winding slopes to the uppermost building, the diplomatic courtroom (a timber hall which Lord Nasu calls “the Keep”). Lady O-Chizu (aka Lady Nasu) soon arrives from another entrance, near the painted and pastoral entertainment stage, with three courtiers in tow.

Everyone takes their appropriate seats, and the daimyo gruffly asks for a straightforward explanation of your journey. You relate everything, about stumbling upon the Gekido devouring the peon Yiki, and how you slew the oni at the sacrifice of Aiko’s crippled arm; how that and the mystery of the enchanted wood led you to the eta village, where you uncovered and eradicated a blood cult threat; how the other peasants testified against the cult and were found blameless, and that only Hachiro the headman of Soft Wind Village appears to have been knowledgable of the cult’s doings.

Lord Nasu asks a few biting and suspicious questions here and there about how you conducted yourselves, but otherwise just sits and stares at you hard. Lady O-Chizu also questions you, but hers are open-ended, subtly guiding your responses. You can tell that she is poking around the edges of your story to quietly deduce just how powerful and widespread Yiki’s cult was, and whether the people of Soft Wind Village really do know of the situation.

Question: do you disclose information about the scrolls now, or wait until the party shugenja have had a chance to examine them?

Courtier rolls, for reading into their line of questioning:
In the end they both seem quite satisfied with your replies. Lord Nasu expresses dismay that he could not have been there for the glorious oni hunt, and his retainers all agree. You are sincerely commended, but without the fanfare you might have expected otherwise: the death of Nasu’s court magician and young bushi retainers, the emergence of Shadowlands creatures beyond what is expected in these parts, and the lingering threat of The Strange Howling have all cast a heavy weight on them.

Suddenly, out of the blue, Lord Nasu stands and walks out of the room. Everyone sits silently for several minutes until he finally returns, with a confused acolyte in tow. He sits and motions impatiently to the acolyte, who offers Senichi a scroll case. “This is a scroll that was dear to Master Fubata, the court magician. Please accept it as thanks for carrying out his wishes…” The acolyte seems hesitant, but Lord Nasu keeps motioning to him impatiently so he hands over the scroll and leaves.

The others are provided with gifts as well: each is given a sturdy suit of winter clothes, imported by Mantis tailors, to replace their ragged travel clothes, torn and stained from combat. You are all then politely ushered out of the room while they hold court to decide what to do about the village, and everything else that seems to have gone wrong in the Pass.

REWARDS
  1. Everyone is awarded 5 XP for all previous activity and achievements.
    • XP is used to increase your stats. Skills can be increased by paying XP = the new rank (this includes learning a new skill at Rank 1 for 1 XP), and Traits/Void can be increased by paying the same cost x5. If you feel that your character could reasonably gain an advantage or lose a disadvantage based on what's happened, ask the GM and we'll work out whether that's an option.
    • If you would like to spend XP, I will rule that it takes a day of hanging around the castle to do so, and you can only increase one thing at a time (so increasing 2 skills means 2 individual days). Don't forget to update your Insight score when you train, because that's how you determine what Insight Rank (level) you are.
  2. Everyone is awarded Glory and Honor.
    • Each character gets 5 glory points for defeating Gekido and eradicating the maho-tsukai coven.
    • Dragon bushi get 2 honor points, all others get 1, for still trying to protect the innocence of the villagers.
  3. Everyone is given a gift.
    • Each character is given a fine set of new winter clothes, which will keep you warm and mobile in cold and wet weather.
    • Senichi is also given an Air spell scroll, "Wisdom the Wind Brings":
      Base TN 10
      Casting Time 2 actions
      Duration 1 round
      Mastery Level 3
      Casual Concentration
      Raises: casting time, extra information.
      "When you cast this spell against someone you can see, the spirits of the air will come to you as a slight breeze and whisper hidden information into your ear. You must select one piece of information to learn about: One Ring or Trait value, one Skill value, one Advantage or one Disadvantage. You may learn an additional item with each raise."

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by Starbeard »

Beiden Hill Manor, Beiden Pass [map]
Late Afternoon (Hour of the Monkey)
"Death Day" in High Week, 4th of Long Month [calendar]
Weather is mostly pleasant and clear, but cold with snow

EVERYONE
As you check into your rooms in the guesthouse and make small talk with the castle occupants, the basic geography of the landscape is quickly learned:

Beiden Hill Manor (“Nasu Castle” to the locals) offers a commanding view of the valley. Overlooking the Lake of Sorrows are the mountain shrine to Lady Mizumi, Goddess of the Lake, a large monastery of introspective but influential Shinseist monks, and the paltry, secluded fishing hamlet known as Pure Green Water Village. Along the Road toward the Scorpion provinces are Midway Quiet Village, which lies at the bottom of the mountain path to the Lake, and the Village of Hot Stones, at the foot of a mountain spring that trickles down from the Dragon Spring Caves. The Dragon Spring Caves themselves cannot be seen: they are hidden within a thick, impenetrable carpet of dark foliage spilling out of a draw in the mountain landscape. It is said that the Caves used to be the site of a forlorn temple to Lord Izumi, the dragon spirit of the mountain and Lady Mizumi’s consort.

Senichi also recalls the abandoned temple high up in the mountains along the Road back to Soft Wind Village.

You keep catching sight of a strange vagabond samurai at the castle, named Kunpu. You are told that he has been staying in and out of the villages of Beiden Pass for several weeks. A ronin according to Imperial law, Kunpu has no master and no family name, though he is easily marked as a Scorpion by anyone who has ever visited that country. You currently see him working alongside some castle peasants, blithely splitting and storing wood for the winter. It is clear that he has become a welcome addition to the castle, but not for welcome reasons: Nasu’s samurai seem to treat him like a court jester, taking opportunities to tease him about his misfortune, or jokingly patronize his readiness to do peasant’s work. They even have an affectionate nickname, Hibitaka (“Skin-Cracked Paragon”), formed as a pun off of the characters of his real name Kunpu (“Gentle Breeze”).

Through a few questions and unsolicited remarks, you gather that he might have some knowledge about the local surroundings, since he has spent the last few weeks wandering the Pass.

AIKO
Aiko finds some time to spar with Osaru, to release the tension of the past three days. The session catches the attention of Lord Nasu, who takes a strong liking to your sporting attitude. He even drags one of his retainers into the yard and takes turns sparring with both of you.
Please make an Agility+Kenjutsu OR Reflexes+Iaijutsu roll, vs TN 15. If you succeed, then Nasu is impressed by your martial skills and looks upon you with favor. Don’t forget you can spend a Void point, and make raises to increase the effect.
You may also spend your XP immediately to increase a combat skill if you like (kenjutsu, iaijutsu, or defense), to reflect having studied with Osaru throughout the days.

KENTA
Kenta removes himself at the earliest opportunity to meditate and rest. He finds that the tiny tea house overlooking the northern slopes is already occupied by another monk, who sympathetically enquires about his wounds before returning to his own meditation. When they are done, the monk humbly asks Kenta whether he plans on visiting the mountain monastery during his stay. "You and your companions would be most welcome to stay in the guesthouse for as long as you require. The view of the Lake is unmatched, as are our physicians—on account of the small library we keep as our one prideful possession. Aside from caring for the history of this beautiful corner of the Emerald Empire, we have also spent many years learning from the mountain to create remedies that cannot be found anywhere else in the world.”

After further conversation, Kenta discovers that the monks are from the "True Words" sect of Shinseism, an esoteric tradition set apart from the Zen sect that Kenta himself was schooled in. They teach that all people are innately enlightened, but that enlightenment can only be realized through the strict recitation of esoteric mantras, rather than through applied teachings. While they may not have the same political power as the contemplative Zen tradition, the True Words sect's simple mysteries are much more popular among the masses, and it has the support of the more martial clans. Kenta has heard that those who meditate upon the mantras in their sacred texts learn to channel powerful energies through themselves (i.e., they can learn Void spells as if they were shugenja).

OSARU
Osaru practices in the yard at the top of the hill with Aiko, helping her to train to compensate for her crippled arm. The session catches the attention of Lord Nasu, who takes a strong liking to your sporting attitude. He even drags one of his retainers into the yard and takes turns sparring with both of you.
Please make an Agility+Kenjutsu OR Reflexes+Iaijutsu roll, vs TN 15. If you succeed, then Nasu is impressed by your martial skills and looks upon you with favor. Don’t forget you can spend a Void point, and make raises to increase the effect.

Afterwards, Osaru wanders off, searching for a secluded spot to meditate in. Soon he finds a tiny old pavilion with a single bench on the eastern shoulder, overlooking the valley on that side. He thinks back to the night at Matsu Castle Town, when the merchant spy was murdered by that rascal Shota, and ponders his own mistakes and misfortunes.

Meditation roll:
As Lady Sun begins to dip below the peaks, with Lord Moon high in the sky chasing after her, his meditation is interrupted by a sudden flash of insight: the merchant was about to leave for Beiden Pass with “valuable information” (to the Scorpion, no doubt) when he was murdered, and his private scroll case stolen. When you met Shota’s favorite town geisha, she said he kept raving about finally having the opportunity to impress his employers into awarding him samurai status. Perhaps Shota is employed by a Scorpion family, and he stole the precious information to bring it to them himself—if that were the case, he would have passed through Lord Nasu’s manor on his way south! Suddenly alert, Osaru quickly ends his meditation and asks a nearby samurai whether Shota has been through the Castle in the past few days. “Oh, he is still here actually. I believe he has just gone down to stay at Midway Quiet Village, he has friends there.”

SHŌE AND SENICHI
Shōe and Senichi wander the grounds, looking for any shugenja. Shōe has heard that a shugenja from his clan lives in Beiden Pass. They stop a woman and ask where the shrine is, then asks if a priest from the Fox Clan lives here. Shōe is himself a shugenja of that small clan, who are the distant relations of the Unicorn Clan, the ones who stayed behind when Lady Shinjo led her people into the nothern wastes for hundreds of years. “No, that would be the priest at Midway Quiet Village, Arai Toshimoto. He usually does not come here. The samurai of that village are actually vassals of the monastery, not Lord Nasu.”

KUNPU
I will leave it to you to introduce yourself as you see fit.

登場人物
  • Kenta, monk: TN10, Init +2, naginata 7k4 (DR 6k3) | Hnr 2;7, Wnds (6) -3;0 | Void Pts 2/2
  • Kitsune Shōe, Fox shugenja: TN10, Init +2, wakizashi 5k3 (DR 4k2) | Hnr 2;5, Wnds (4) -0;0 | Void Pts 2/2 | Spells: F2 - A2 - W2 - E2
  • Kunpu, Scorpion clan-ronin: TBA
  • Matsumoto Senichi, Unicorn shugenja: TN10, Init +2, wakizashi 4k3 (DR 4k2) | Hnr 3;2, Wnds (4) 0;0 | Void Pts 2/2 | Spells: F3 - A2 - W3 - E2
    • Saburo: 3E/3W/1F/1A/1V | TN5, Init +1, DR 1k1 | Hn 2;7 - Gl 0;0 - Wnds (6) 0;0 | Void Pts 1/1
  • Mirumoto Koga, Dragon bushi: no armor+daisho (TN15), Init +2, daisho 2k2/6k3 (DR 5k2) | Hnr 2;7, Wnds (4) 0;0 | Void Pts 2/2
  • Mirumoto Aiko, Dragon bushi: no armor (TN20/5), Init +3, daisho 5k4/6k3 (DR 4k2) | Hnr 3;5, Wnds (4) 0;0 | Void Pts 1/2 (crippled left arm)
  • Yoshida Osaru, ronin: no armor (TN15), Init +3, katana 6k3/6k3 (DR 5k2) | Hnr 2;7 Wnds (4) 0;0 | Void Pts 2/2
Last edited by Starbeard on Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:17 am, edited 8 times in total.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by Starbeard »

There are still a couple of hours until darkness, at which time you would be expected to attend supper at the main hall with the other samurai. Kunpu would of course be supping with the castle workers, or not, as he sees fit (such freedom is one of the few perks of following the path of the folk hero, I suppose).

I'm pausing here so that everyone has an opportunity to take any actions they'd like before that time, whether that's character upkeep and training, roleplaying introductions, investigating a lead, asking me about some clarifying details or a topic I've missed, etc.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by Rex »

Kenta

"Thank you, we shall see what comes up as I rest and heal here for at least a few days. Depending of course I may take you up on your kind offer."

He will rest and meditate.

Saving my XP for now.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#27 Post by ffilz »

That Glory increases Senichi's Glory to 2;0 right?
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

Captain Kinkajou
Ranger
Ranger

#28 Post by Captain Kinkajou »

Aiko

Various things (in no particular order). Apologies that it's a rather lengthy post, that it's all out of character, and that it's a bit all over the place as I thought of stuff, but it turns out that there's quite an assortment of things I wanted to cover through this period of skipping forward:

After some consideration, I'm going to take up your offer and use Aiko's XP immediately to buy her Iaijutsu up by two levels, from 1 to 2 (2 points) and then from 2 to 3 (3 points), reflecting her training and sparring with Osaru. I don't have enough XP to raise Iaijutsu and Kenjutsu a level each, otherwise I might have split it between the two.

Assuming I have things correct, that increases Aiko's Insight from 120 to 122.

-.-.-

Rolling to impress Lord Nasu:
Iaijutsu + Reflexes (7k4) TN15 (2 raises): [_7d10] = (1+8+7+3+7+10+7)=43
Exploding 10: [1d10] = 10
Exploding 10: [1d10] = 6

So, that's 26+8+7+7 = 48 vs a TN25 (due to the two raises) - I should have done more raises but who knew!

If possible, Aiko would want to impress Lord Nasu while ensuring she does not overdo it and embarrass Osaru at all. He is a friend, she respects him and he is the one graciously teaching her. If she can use her control and precision to put on a good show that makes them both look good, she will and, if she does outdo Osaru, she would make a point of remarking upon how she feels his mastery and insightful teaching is really helping her to improve and would also respectfully ask him for additional advice on how she could do better to hone her skills even further.

-.-.-

I confess I haven't been keeping particularly good track of Aiko's Honour but I think, with the two points recently awarded, Aiko's Honour is now 3;7. Is that right?

Am I correct in thinking Glory works the same way as Honour i.e. that, with the award of 5 Glory, Aiko's Glory goes from 1;0 to 1;5?

-.-.-

Regarding the scrolls: Given the order in which things have happened, I think Aiko would want to disclose what happened with the scrolls and turn them over rather than waiting. Her reasoning being that ultimately, she would not want to not say anything to Lord and Lady Nasu about them and then subsequently be found to have had them.

Aiko would also be keen to show respect, courtesy and openness/friendship to Lord and Lady Nasu. In particular Lady Nasu, who from their initial interactions, she would recognise as quietly perceptive and subtle. Traits she very much approves of.

She would thank the Lord and Lady sincerely and appropriately for their gift of the Mantic clothes and their hospitality, and if there is the opportunity, would seek to speak with Lady Nasu quietly at some point and discuss in more depth the fact that, though Yiki's cult was not more widespread, there is clearly a sense of some other evil spreading through the pass from the mountain and tainting things.

I'm happy to discuss this further, as I'm not sure exactly how it would pan out, but I feel Aiko would be fairly open and honest with Lady Nasu and is willing to offer any aid she could in rooting out the evil (she also remembers her promise to Lady Hama to investigate the restless spirits of the lake). Initially her tactic would be to be sincere and somewhat youthfully innocent, mostly earnestly but also gauging how much Lady Nasu responds openly and honestly or whether there is any sign of her exploiting Aiko or trying to manipulate her to some end. She's kind of offering Lady Nasu an opening by pretending to be less aware than she is and seeing if Lady Nasu takes advantage or whether she seems to be trustworthy.

-.-.-

Conscious that Kenta cared for her when she was badly injured, she would check on the monk from time-to-time. If he wanted, perhaps keeping him company for spells while he recovered.

-.-.-

Finally, Aiko notes the vagabond Scorpion samurai. He might see her observing him thoughtfully and a little warily from a distance. His presence there reminds her that, thanks to her grandfather's boasting, Scorpion Clan samurai in this region have an open invitation to challenge her to a duel, which she cannot decline without failing to uphold the honour of the family's Crane ancestors and losing face.

She wonders if word of grandfather's challenge has spread here and whether a Ronin Scorpion would seek to call her out. She hopes not.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#29 Post by GreyWolfVT »

“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by Leitz »

Kunpu the Farmer
Enokida waited.

She had nothing to hurry for, anyway. Rushing was for younger people. Moving smoothly was, as well; the stranger had seen her hobble up the small hill to the manor house. She did her work, even though her knee had not healed. Soon one of the guards would remember that Enokida had not gotten her promised payment. She did not require much, but she was still mortal. Bodies need food. She might be spirit soon, but not today.

Unless she slipped going down the hill. Some places were slick, and she was not wealthy enough to afford even a candle to see by. The stranger had seen her limping, and offered to carry her load up the hill for her.

He was strange. Two days ago he split wood for her and they talked of the neighbors. He seemed to know little of the people in the village, and Enokida knew everyone. She had talked while he split and stacked wood. His stacks were gracefully done; she could pick small, medium, or large pieces as needed. She had offered to share her rice with him, but he somehow seemed to know that it was her last bowl. He had declined. Respectfully, but without the social dance of a samurai. Perhaps he truly was ronin?

There he was, with the guards. They were laughing at him, again. They were drinking, and yelling about how weak the Scorpions were. He yelled at them, boasting that they were too drunk to fight and that he could beat them all.

A breeze had blown softly across the hilltop, and the candles flickered. Several of the guards had reached for their weapons, even though striking an unarmed man, even a ronin, would have been in bad form. The stranger dared them to try and hit him with renkon; a basket had been brought by a farmer.

Enokida shook her head at the wasted food. Renkon does not fly well, and several of the guards wearied of missing. One grabbed a basket of heavy gorojima and threw one. Soon the stranger was being pelted from all directions and he ran from the guard's area, ducking their anger and curses.

The stranger smiled at her, and brushed off his tunic. There were many stains, and much dirt. And now stains of vegetables. "May I walk you home, grandmother?"

Enokida shook her head. He was a fool. Yet one must walk safely at night, and when needed his arm was there to steady her. She was tired, and said little the entire time. Until she stood at her door, and looked at him. "If you like, sir, I will wash your tunic and have it for you in the morning. I am not scheduled to work tomorrow."

He bowed, and shook his head. "Thank you, grandmother, but I can manage. The stream suits me well, she washes my clothes and does not deride me for the need of it. However, if you could help me with something, else, I would appreciate it."

"You said your nephew Hatanaka was ill, and could not work?" He reached into his tunic and pulled out three gorojima and a handful of renkon. "Even a poor farmer can harvest in the right field. Please, for you and Hatanaka's family."

Kunpu the Fish
Night had long fallen. Kunpu washed his clothing in the stream. He hung the kimono on one bush and the hakama on the other, and walked in the water. It was cold; it forced him to focus. To breathe. Each step needed care; difficult as one's toes grew numb. Still, one must train.

A slick rock shifted underfoot. He splashed down. Fear rolled past; had anyone heard? He lowered himself fully into the water. Nothing but his head, from the ears and nose up, was viewable. Fingers and toes dug into the stream bed as he moved forward, towards his clothes. Listening. Breathing calmly. Getting a cold bath while training.

His stomach grumbled. He submerged for several moments, brushed his hair in the stream, and came out laughing. Life was interesting.

He shook himself partly dry and then wrung his clothes out again. The strange party had the attention of Lord Nasu. Who were they, and why were they here? He had made sure they had seen him, just as he had marked their mannerisms and clans. An interesting group. Was Nasu seeking to build his power? Could he build it enough? What would the cost be? They came from the east, Lady O-Chizu came from the west. Were there other things going on?

He would make himself quietly present, tomorrow. They could act, or not. Either way spoke.

Kunpu will be readily available, but respectfully distant, on the morrow. His clothes, while travelworn, are clean. :)

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by Leitz »

Captain Kinkajou wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:53 pm Am I correct in thinking Glory works the same way as Honour i.e. that, with the award of 5 Glory, Aiko's Glory goes from 1;0 to 1;5?
Page 61: Yes.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by Starbeard »

Well, after getting all of my wisdom teeth pulled out, I've got some time to sit around and catch up with my games!

Once again it seems we have many different threads to get through, some quite longwinded, so I will do the same thing again as last time. Each bit will be headed by who should read it, although this time I will put everything in spoilers so you can just click straight to your information (you can read all of them, of course, but you are only required to read the sections listed for your character).

Keyed Map of the region surrounding "Nasu Castle" (Beiden Hill Manor)

RETIRING CHARACTERS (for everyone to read)
Kitsune Shōe (ca. two months since login) speaks with Senichi while the two walk and talk about priestly things. “I think I will make my way to Midway Quiet Village this evening and pay this Arai Toshimoto a visit. The Fox aren’t a very large clan, and as shugenja it is quite possible that he and I share some acquaintances. Come and say hello if you are in the vicinity.” The hulking priest folds his ratty old clothes into his travel cloth and leaves down the winding hill path, on his way to the picturesque, snow laden village just two miles in the distance as the crow flies.

Shōe will now be an NPC and party contact in Midway Quiet Village (Location 2 on the map)

Mirumoto Koga (ca. three months since login) takes Aiko aside and speaks to her with his typical filial earnestness. “Sister, you are too careless. You should be resting, but instead you continue to push yourself until you are ragged!” They stubbornly argue until she finally agrees to let him examine her crippled arm again, even though she knows it will only make him angrier with himself. Looking at her helpless wound, Koga swallows hard and comes to a decision. Kenta says that the monks by the Lake are skilled healers, and collectors of mystic wisdom; I am sure if there is a way to heal your arm, they will know. I already know you would refuse to cloister yourself, and you must rest here anyway; that is why I must leave instead. I will ask to live with them, and return once I know how to heal you. Wish me luck, Dear Sister.” Long into the evening Aiko can see her brother traveling along the valley and up the mountain path, a speck in the distance, until the dark of night sinks down the mountainside and swallows up all vision beyond Beiden Hill and the lights of the villages below.

Koga will now be an NPC and party contact at True Words Visionary Monastery (Location 4 on the map)

KENTA
The monk of True Words Visionary Monastery nods and wishes you luck. “We will look forward to seeing you when you choose to visit, Brother. In the meantime, please rest. I will pray for your health, and we will be sure to check in on you whenever we come by.” The monk leaves you with the impression that he, at least, is a typical monk, honest and earnest, but not shy about involving himself in worldly affairs if necessary. You learn that the monastery enjoys legal jurisdiction over Quiet Village (location 2) and has some de facto jurisdiction over the little fishing hamlet of Pure Green Water Village (location 5), but of course it remains to be seen whether or not this power is a fair relationship for the vital support of the monastery and the spiritual benefit of the villages. Not all monasteries are humble overlords, after all.

OSARU
(This part is the same as Aiko's text): The sparring contest is a resounding success, and Lord Nasu immediately takes to both of you. It is clear that he is not as quick on his feet as he once was, nor is his hand as steady, and you find yourselves matched against him quite evenly; but his limitless enthusiasm for heroic sport leaves even you young folk winded by the end, while he seems to have barely noticed his own sweat.

As you wipe your faces down with rags, Lord Nasu surprises you with a strong slap on the back and a hearty hug. “I have not seen such promising young warriors in a long time!” He breathes in the fresh mountain air and pats his chest while looking up to the afternoon sky. “Yes, I could use warriors like you.”

(This part is unique to you): After joking with Aiko about stealing her from her current daimyo, Nasu eyes you much longer, more cautiously, like he is really trying to size you up. “You are good with a sword, Ronin. But that isn’t all that makes a samurai. There must be faith, service, and obedience. These are tantamount, more than skill in any weapon. My subjects would die for me simply because I told them to. I demand nothing less, and I respect nothing less. But there is always room in my house for those I respect.” He suddenly breaks the tension with a laugh, giving you another slap on the back and thanking you for the workout before leaving to go wash.

As you watch Lord Nasu walk off, you find yourself thinking hard on his words: before you came here, you had heard rumors that Lord Nasu was a senile wild card whose ideas of loyalty go beyond the pale. It has been said that he demands potential servants to demonstrate their loyalty by falling on their blades right then and there—if he wants them, he will stop them before they kill themselves; but if he does not, he will simply let them die, or forever live with the public shame of chickening out.

At this point you head off to meditate, and soon discover that your old nemesis Shota is supposedly staying in Quiet Village (Location 2).

Consider yourself to have succeeded in impressing Lord Nasu exceedingly well, with 2 raises. He will now defer to looking rather favorably on you.

Also, a PM will be sent shortly.

AIKO
(This part is the same as Osaru's text): The sparring contest is a resounding success, and Lord Nasu immediately takes to both of you. It is clear that he is not as quick on his feet as he once was, nor is his hand as steady, and you find yourselves matched against him quite evenly; but his limitless enthusiasm for heroic sport leaves even you young folk winded by the end, while he seems to have barely noticed his own sweat.

As you wipe your faces down with rags, Lord Nasu surprises you with a strong slap on the back and a hearty hug. “I have not seen such promising young warriors in a long time!” He breathes in the fresh mountain air and pats his chest while looking up to the afternoon sky. “Yes, I could use warriors like you.”

(This part is unique to you): Turning to you Nasu says, perhaps only half-jokingly, “Are you sure I can’t convince you to leave your clan? We mountain folk may be rustic, but we believe in strong women worthy of a warrior’s respect; which I doubt you can say of most city people!” Having spent just one afternoon here, you can tell that what he says is true, too. Most if not all of the women here take part in rigorous martial training, whether or not they are soldiers; not just those with family privilege like the Lion, or who have few political prospects like the Crane, or who lack scholarly merit like the Phoenix.

Later, after washing up and getting dressed for supper, you manage to find Lady O-Chizu and take her aside for a moment, to ask her about the disturbing nature of recent events in Beiden Pass that worry you. “You are a good young woman, Miss Mirumoto, and a jewel to your family. We gladly accept your help, though I also worry about your wounds. You need rest more than anything, and I encourage you to go easy on yourself.” This makes her chuckle and she leans in to say, “My husband speaks very well of you already, and I think he is sore that you cannot be one of his samurai. I think he sees a bit of himself in you, and he has always wished for a daughter, which I have never given him. I tell you this so that you can be careful, for he tends to be rash and assume those he favors will be right behind him.”

“The truth is, there is evil in Beiden Pass. I have heard rumors of Shadowlands cults in unnamed villages along the Road to the Scorpion lands, but gave them little thought until today. The people of this province are gripped in terror at the curse of Sakemono, and terror leads men to search queer knowledge for protection. The cults, the growing blight of the Shadowlands in the mountains: as either grows, so does the other. If we are to drive back whatever is causing this evil, we must investigate prudently, find these cults, and learn where in the mountains the Shadowlands have crept in.”

When you mention Hama’s vision and request, you feel that O-Chizu is especially disturbed by this news, as though it struck a chord of significance with her. She tells you about the goddess Lady Mizumi, the kami of the Mountain overlooking the Lake of Sorrows (the shugenja temple at the top of the mountain (Location 3) is her shrine, tended by a blind Shrine Maiden and her assistant). It is well known in Beiden Pass that Lady Mizumi is the bringer of ill omens, though she will only visit women and is usually quite cryptic. O-Chizu describes how the goddess came to her one night to warn her of “evil men drinking the water of the dead, poisoning the well and disturbing those at rest,” and surmises that she must be speaking of events to come at the Lake of Sorrows. Perhaps an investigation is in order along the Lake, at the Monastery and Pure Green Water Village, she suggests.

Aside from these points, you find it difficult to penetrate her public face to get any sort of reading off of her.

Aiko's rolls…
Captain Kinkajou wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:53 pm If possible, Aiko would want to impress Lord Nasu while ensuring she does not overdo it and embarrass Osaru at all. He is a friend, she respects him and he is the one graciously teaching her. If she can use her control and precision to put on a good show that makes them both look good, she will and, if she does outdo Osaru, she would make a point of remarking upon how she feels his mastery and insightful teaching is really helping her to improve and would also respectfully ask him for additional advice on how she could do better to hone her skills even further.
I will rule that a simple test of Aiko’s Awareness+(lower of Kenjutsu and Sincerity), against 5 x Lord Nasu’s Awareness+Kenjutsu (TN25), will convince him that Osaru is the dominant swordfighter. The will also be dropped down to TN20, because with your bum arm you probably don’t need to try nearly as hard.

Aiko Awareness+Sincerity (5k3):
[_5d10] = (8+5+5+10+4)=32
10's reroll: [1d10] = 2 (Total roll: 25)
Success! I think I’ll rule that your raises to the combat roll also count as raises for Osaru.
Captain Kinkajou wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:53 pm I'm happy to discuss this further, as I'm not sure exactly how it would pan out, but I feel Aiko would be fairly open and honest with Lady Nasu and is willing to offer any aid she could in rooting out the evil (she also remembers her promise to Lady Hama to investigate the restless spirits of the lake). Initially her tactic would be to be sincere and somewhat youthfully innocent, mostly earnestly but also gauging how much Lady Nasu responds openly and honestly or whether there is any sign of her exploiting Aiko or trying to manipulate her to some end. She's kind of offering Lady Nasu an opening by pretending to be less aware than she is and seeing if Lady Nasu takes advantage or whether she seems to be trustworthy.
Contested Awareness check to see if you can get a reading on O-Chizu’s honesty or intentions:
[_3d10] = (5+2+2)=9
Unfortunately you didn't beat her roll, and glean little.

KUNPU
(Fantastic introduction Leitz, I like Kunpu already.)
The masterless Kunpu bathes secretly in the river at night, for reasons known only to himself. Most would see the Scorpion as a ronin, a wolf walking outside of the divine laws of natural society. Some however might recognize in him another social class altogether—the esoteric Dragon, the liminal Unicorn, and the meritocratic Phoenix all have a special word for the rare ronin who voluntarily takes up the life of a knight-errant to pursue goodwill and personal enlightenment, the yūkyō or “Knight-Errant/Playful Cavalier” (the word is a modern rendering of the ancient term youxia that appears in the oldest stories of Rokugan, from before the divine establishment of the samurai caste); to peasants in these lands, he is an otokodate or “Folk Hero,” the much earthier, common-language pronunciation for the same written characters. Outside of these three clans, however, the reputation of the knight-errant is obvious, as their “otokodate” exists mostly as a stock villain archetype in theatrical plays: a lazy, ill-mannered, aggressive ex-samurai who takes vengeance against his former peers by inciting peasants to bloody riot.

Looking toward the distant hill in the pale night, Kunpu is only somewhat surprised to see an entourage of a half dozen or more riders approach the bottom gate from the North. Imperial or Clan meddlers, most likely—news of this new party’s exploits must have attracted attention, but curious to see foreign magistrates descending so quickly. The snow dampens the sound of their voices, but it is visually clear that there is some verbal altercation before the entourage is quickly taken in and led up the long path to the court hall.

THAT EVENING…
By now you have already taken Nasu and O-Chizu aside and discussed the delicate matter of the maho scrolls. Nasu of course immediately knocks them to the ground with his sword and proceeds to stomp and smash them with contempt, only to find that they remain amazingly unharmed. He looks to his wife O-Chizu for an explanation, since her knowledge of the spiritual is the better of the two. ”They cannot be destroyed by brute force, they must be unmade by spells of purification. We should take them quietly to the shugenja Arai Toshimoto in Midway Quiet Village, as I know many people in these parts go to him for his powerful cleansing magic.” In the meantime she suggests that the scrolls are wrapped and locked away in the castle’s guarded, spell-warded store room.

At supper the party is treated as guests of honor. Sake and plum desserts flow, and for a moment everyone pretends to forget all their woes. It is declared that Lord Nasu will travel to Soft Wind Village in the morning, hold an inquest and likely behead Headman Hachiro for consorting and conspiring with the minions of Fu Leng, the evil Kami overlord of the Shadowlands. After that quick announcement no more talk of evil things is tolerated at the table.

That is until, well into the desserts and wine, a great and unexpected commotion pours into the hall. A square-jawed magistrate enters through the main sliding door, flanked by a shugenja, three bushi and four ashigaru soldiers. All are wearing garb dripping with Lion regalia and the Matsu family crest. The two samurai that Lord Nasu had sent down to the Lion garrison at the bottom of Beiden Pass to dispel the rumors of a Shadowlands attack follow in behind them, looking anxious and worried.

The magistrate leads his men into the room a respectful distance, then all drop to their knees as he addresses Lord Nasu. “My Lord, I am Matsu Ieyasu, Lion Magistrate of the Beiden Pass Garrison.” Nasu interrupts him by saying he knows exactly who he is, and furiously demands an explanation for this flagrant trespass. The magistrate seems unperturbed, and continues. “We have heard reports of attacks on your province by armies of the Shadowlands. I am here to investigate these reports so that I might advise my daimyo on a proper course of action to aid you.”

Chaos erupts in the room. You hear cries of “coup!” and “false occupation!” Some even rattle their swords overhead. The Lion entourage look tense, braced for the worst, but no fight comes. Magistrate Matsu remains unfazed, ignoring the commotion, and calmly engages with Lord Nasu in a silent staring match. Nasu finally holds up his hand to quiet the room, and Magistrate Matsu continues. “My daimyo Lady Matsu sees Beiden Pass as a jewel for the Whole Empire, not for one greedy Clan, and she has tirelessly lent her might to shield you against the threat of Scorpion subjugation. And now that there are reports of Shadowlands creatures afoot, by Imperial Law we are required to give whatever assistance is necessary in the protection of this province against The Dark One—though we come willingly, out of friendship as allies. I trust you will allow me to conduct my obligatory investigations quickly and without disruption.”

Lord Nasu sits motionless, and the staring match continues. After a pregnant silence, he simply grunts, downs the last of his sake, slams the cup onto the table, and walks out of the room. As a show of solidarity, everyone else follows him, leaving the hall empty except for you and the Lion entourage. “Well, I suppose we should start with you,” Magistrate Matsu Ieyasu says. “I recall your group from when you stayed at the garrison on your way here. Little goes through there that passes me by.”

How would you all like to handle the interrogations? The magistrate is shrewd, no-nonsense, and looks intent to cut straight to the point. You can cooperate, hide information, challenge him, take Lord Nasu's side and walk out—whatever floats your boat.

And as usual, feel free to pause the timeline to respond to or comment on anything that's already happened up to this point (and please let me know if I've left anything out!).

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by Leitz »

Every once in a while you get into a great interaction with another player. Captain Kinkajou and I collaborated on this, and it has been an absolute pleasure. I look forward to more.

After the sparring

Kunpu waited; the moment would arrive. He had made his bet on the samurai-ko, Mirumoto Aiko.

In ones and threes Nasu's warriors departed. Many were impressed with the strangers, and rightfully so. Some grumbled quietly, a lost bet does not improve the day. Yet Nasu himself had been complementary, and the warriors echoed his sentiments.

Kunpu watched. He sat in a relaxed posture, informal, as the area emptied. While others went on to whatever was next in their day, she stayed. He had wagered, silently, that she was a serious student. The one who would continue to learn after others assumed the lessons were over.

Kunpu grinned. He wasn't always right, but one should enjoy being so. He paid himself the winnings. Now, time to act. He moved forward.

Aiko continued to practice, seemingly unaware of Kunpu's approach, though he noted she had adjusted her stance ever so slightly, ready for danger.

He stopped and announced himself. "Samurai, may I have a moment of your time? I am confused by something, and could use expert guidance." He positioned himself with care; slightly to her strong side, to reduce the appearance of threat. Body relaxed, and hands away from his own weapons. Not too close, nor fearfully far away. He smiled.

Aiko paused and turned to face him. Her eyes a mix of uncertainty and defiance. She gave him the slightest nod of assent, remaining wary while relaxing a little in acknowledgement of his non-threatening posture.

"How might Mirumoto Aiko, daughter of the Dragon and Crane, guide a warrior of the Scorpion clan? Or, do you no longer count yourself as such?" she probed him.

"You fight well, your teacher would be most proud." Kunpu laughed quietly. "Or at least, I assume they would be proud. You are better with the blade than I, and thus me rendering an opinion on your skill is hubris."

He bowed respectfully. "I am called Kunpu, and was born to the label Scorpion."

Aiko returned the bow, also respectfully, but warily keeping her eyes on him in case of any trickery. She was still uncertain what to make of him. Was he testing her in some way? Or laughing at her? She found his easy humour somewhat unsettling.

"There is a tale of a Mirumoto warrior, and a conversation about those of the Scorpion clan." Kunpu smiled, and then furrowed his brow. "A challenge would give me a moment to learn, and I need those moments. Yet your wound is recent. You train with vigor and discipline, but you were trained to wield two weapons at the same time. Your body motion and weight shifts reflect that. It would be dishonorable of me to discuss setting a date for a challenge until you are fully recovered. I seek to learn, not to make myself look good while taking advantage of another."

He bowed his head slightly, in respect. "Of a better warrior. Who, perhaps, can offer guidance?"

So, word of her grandfather's foolish boasting had reached the Pass, but the manner of this man's challenge was not at all what Aiko had expected. She found herself perplexed by him. He was perceptive. Clearly no fool.

"Is it not unwise, or dangerous even, to challenge those you consider better warriors than yourself?" she tried with a degree of insincerity.

She glanced down at her useless arm. "Though, if you seek to face me when I am whole and can wield two swords again, you may have to wait for quite some time. Regrettably, I fear this may never heal."

She paused, as if still struggling to accept that fact without it breaking her, but then resolved, she straightened and continued. "You are a strange one, Kunpu, once of the Scorpion. I find myself unsure what to make of you or your challenge but you have been gracious and respectful in its offering. You know that I must accept to maintain my family's honour, but in this case I do so in the spirit of your declaration. May we never be enemies."

At this, Aiko bowed again, and this time dropped her gaze from Kunpu in a show of trust, though her posture remained one of someone ready to react and defend herself at the slightest sense of betrayal. It would take time to earn more than that.

"I cannot be your enemy." Kunpu bowed. When he stood back up, he met Aiko's gaze. It was easy to see his agony. His face was set in stone, save for a momentary tensing of the jaw.

"Mirumoto Aiko, you have answered well, for your family's honor. Let us set the date; exactly one year from the time your body is fully healed. Until that time..." his voice faltered, "until that time..."

He eased down to one knee, and turned away from her before folding his feet underneath, and then sitting. She was in the position of kaishakunin; one who ends the agony of a fellow warrior.

"Kill me, if you like," Kunpu said quietly.

"There is but one other who knows me as strange yet does not think the less of me for it. Perhaps you know the loneliness of walking a strange path? The few who grant you trust are treasured above life itself. I cannot be your enemy."

Taken aback at Kunpu's sudden emotion and submission, Aiko could feel the deepness of his pain. Though he remained something of a mystery to her, she no longer doubted his motives.

"Enough Kunpu-san. I am convinced of your sincerty," she declared, offering him her good hand. "Stand. For, I have no desire to kill you." She helped him to his feet.

"Forgive me. I see now that we both bear wounds that may not heal. In that, we are far more alike than I realised."

Kunpu took the offered hand, though Aiko could tell it was out of friendship, not need. His grip was gentle, he released her hand when it was proper, and he turned to face her. "The sharpest blade is the one that is forged repeatedly, and refined. You will heal, and you will be more formidable than before. I, on the other hand..." he grinned. "Bone also grows stronger and denser as it heals, and I have had so many bokken strikes to my head that surely nothing can penetrate!"

"Aiko-sama, a true friend is honest," he nodded towards the main hall. "Your star is ascendant while I am but a shadow. I look forward to listening to your tale of the battle that now challenges you, yet I feel others would look down on you for spending time around me."

"I have never been one to conform to what was expected and the opinions of those who would judge me ill for being in your company matter little to me," Aiko quickly dismissed. "Your manners and your deeds are honourable, and you have given me no reason to think you worthy of scorn. In fact, quite the opposite. Come, if I am not too forward, please do me the honour of walking with me. Tell me, why these others would treat you so? Have you injured or offended them in some way?"

He nodded to her injured arm. "They say that a man who walks on this side of a lady it means one thing, and on that side it means another. Walking on your left side would give me great joy, because my body would delay anyone who would seek to take advantage of you. May I?"

Aiko screwed up her face. "This is foolish talk Kunpu-san," she gently reprimanded him. "While I welcome your friendship, I do not need your protection. Nor would I wish you to test the thickness of your skull against a blade that was meant for me. I bid you to remember you have an obligation to me now. If you hold me in any regard, do not be so careless with your life. I expect you to fulfil your duty and meet me at the appointed time."

Gracefully, she moved to Kunpu's right and they walked together. Kunpu returned to answering her earlier question.

"I am a most grievous villain, Aiko-sama, full of evil intent and whatever else needs to be heaped upon me so that others can feel good about themselves. Throw curses at the ronin so the samurai feel strong," he said. He looked at her, and smiled. "If you judge me honorable, I hope to live up to your view. Yet I find myself accepting scorn because I do not see as others see. Perhaps it bothers them that my presence suggests their view is in question?"

She looked at him but did not offer an opinion.

He laughed lightly. "Or so I tell myself, when I weary of the struggle. The river water is biting cold, yet one must walk in it to learn. And to grab the occasional fish."

"Indeed, you are wise," Aiko smiled a little ruefully. "There are many simple joys in life if one is of a mind to appreciate them; catching a fish, feeling the flow of the river against your skin. I used to be mindful of this but had almost forgotten. I thank you for reminding me."

"Thank you for reminding me of friendship, it is a wonderful thing," Kunpu said.

Captain Kinkajou
Ranger
Ranger

#34 Post by Captain Kinkajou »

Leitz wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:26 pm Every once in a while you get into a great interaction with another player. Captain Kinkajou and I collaborated on this, and it has been an absolute pleasure. I look forward to more.
Back at you Leitz. I very much enjoyed our collaboration too.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#35 Post by Starbeard »

Aiko, wishing to maintain good relations with the local lord, and Senichi, who already has a previous antagonistic relationship with the Lion Clan, both remain silent and leave the room with Lord Nasu's group.

The rest remain, and are quickly and expertly interrogated by Magistrate Matsu. He is a man with no need for humor or small talk, and a masterful scholar of even the most remote aspects of Imperial Law—which he leverages to his advantage at every opportunity. At the end of the intense encounter, he raises his hand ceremoniously to indicate that he has heard enough, and shifts his position to face the shugenja scribe at his right, who has been transcribing the interrogation furiously onto a scroll. "Send this record back to the Way Station immediately. I am appending it with a strong recommendation for sending a full garrison of troops. The beginning of the document will already note the failure of several persons to cooperate with my Imperial duties, namely the daimyo himself, and your traveling companion… one Mirumoto Aiko."

The magistrate scribbles off a quick note at the bottom of the scroll and marks it with his personal stamp. The shugenja then places it within a leather case and orders two of the samurai and all four ashigaru to ride down the mountain, protecting it with their lives. He then retires without another word, followed by the shugenja and two remaining bushi.

Meanwhile, Aiko and Senichi join the local lord's small entourage of courtiers and retainers out on the yard, hard earth and grass mixed with a thin layer of snow. The group marches toward a building on the other side of the hilltop, intended for guest processions. As you walk, you both see a game animal dart through the bushes beyond the edge of light, near the hilltop's ledge.

In the building, the courtiers take a room and the bushi take another, and for several hours the screen doors of the building rattle from the tirades and vituperations within. Nasu has clearly given up on the day and gets drunk with his closest companions, and manages to lay plenty of curses and threats upon every Lion who dares enter the Pass despite pretending to have lost all interest in political matters.

Lady O-Chizu pulls you aside to thank you for your support, and you see a very different side of her. She seems to dote on her husband now, sometimes cooing him to placidity and sometimes coddling his anger sympathetically. It is clear that she is deeply offended by the whole ordeal, but perhaps less because of the impertinence of the Lion, and more because her chivalric devotion to Nasu requires her to see his ambitions realized.

During your brief discussion with O-Chizu, she learns that the party plans to investigate Midway Quiet Village and the temple beyond. "I am glad that honorable people like you are here to help," she says, "since it seems our own attention must now be directed elsewhere. The shrine maidens of the temple do a fine job, and I am sure they will help you in every way they can. We keep no secrets from them, so you may be as frank as you wish. As for the village below… well, they are like most mountain folk, honest but suspicious, and rather mundane. I doubt you will find much there but queer manners and pleasant countryside. Please keep us informed!"

O-Chizu then checks the time and hurries a very drunk Nasu to his private chambers, where they have a nightly tea before retiring to sleep. Passing by the lord's chamber on your way to your own beds, you catch a scent of the tea's beautiful fragrance and are compelled to stop for a moment, taking it in, an unexpected moment of peace and comfort amid these tumultuous days.

It is an uneasy night, high up in the mountains. Somewhere in the deep distance, Sakemono can be heard whipping and wailing through the valley, terrorizing one village or another. Perhaps it is preying on a poor traveler caught on the road in the dark.

And finally, somewhere off in the night, one shadowy figure stalks another, wondering what cold secrets the mountains hold.
(Leitz, if you would like to add a retroactive introduction to the party as per Kinkajou's OOC comments for Aiko, please feel free)

Beiden Hill Manor, Beiden Pass [map]
Early Morning (Hour of the Hare)
"Luck Day" in High Week, 5th of Long Month [calendar]
Weather is snowy and mildly wet, threatening downpour

The next morning everyone at the castle arises bright and early, and rather irate. The Lion magistrate is still there, and already setting about his task of strong arming or squirming his way into interrogating whomever he can. Nasu and O-Chizu are nowhere to be seen (if they've risen yet).

Let me know if you would to set about getting to Midway Village in any particular way, and/or who you would like to seek out first once you are there.

If it turns out that Kunpu has been introduced to the party already, then we will assume that he has already arranged to meet you at the gate and you can move along together, otherwise we will introduce him to the party on the road.

登場人物
  • Kenta, monk: TN10, Init +2, naginata 7k4 (DR 6k3) | Hnr 2;7, Wnds (6) 0;0 | Void Pts 2/2
  • Kunpu, (Scorpion) ronin: no armor (TN10), Init +2, katana 4k3 (DR 5k2) | Hnr 1;5, Wnds (4) 0;0 | Void Pts 2/2
  • Matsumoto Senichi, Unicorn shugenja: TN10, Init +2, wakizashi 4k3 (DR 4k2) | Hnr 3;2, Wnds (4) 0;0 | Void Pts 2/2 | Spells: F3 - A2 - W3 - E2
    • Saburo (peasant retainer): 3E/3W/1F/1A/1V | TN5, Init +1, DR 1k1 | Hn 2;7 - Gl 0;0 - Wnds (6) 0;0 | Void Pts 1/1
  • Mirumoto Aiko, Dragon bushi: no armor (TN20/5), Init +3, daisho 5k4/6k3 (DR 4k2) | Hnr 3;5, Wnds (4) 0;0 | Void Pts 2/2 (crippled left arm)
  • Yoshida Osaru, ronin: no armor (TN15), Init +3, katana 6k3/6k3 (DR 5k2) | Hnr 2;7 Wnds (4) 0;0 | Void Pts 2/2
Last edited by Starbeard on Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#36 Post by ffilz »

Would the magistrate actually have any idea Senichi was associated with the others? Didn't Senichi and Kenta avoid his garrison? We only met up with the others at the village.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by Starbeard »

ffilz wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:48 am Would the magistrate actually have any idea Senichi was associated with the others? Didn't Senichi and Kenta avoid his garrison? We only met up with the others at the village.
This is true. I think he would put 2 and 2 together seeing you with the others when he came in, and unless the others decide to be purposely circumspect about your involvement then he would easily deduce further from his line of interrogation (or at the very least question pointedly why one of the traveling pair is now with the party, but the other has up and left). I'll leave it to the others to decide how they would like to proceed.

(and you as well, actually: I had Senichi leave figuring you would like to avoid the honor loss, and I wanted to get things moving past the evening; as always, feel free to change his actions if you like, and I will alter the details to suit)

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#38 Post by ffilz »

Yes Senichi would definitely leave. Would he have any reason to consider Kenta and Senichi a pair? I guess it depends on how the party interactions actually look to him.

But he might still note Senichi as someone of relevance and the simple act of leaving with Nasu would earn him a ding.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#39 Post by Starbeard »

ffilz wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:31 am Yes Senichi would definitely leave. Would he have any reason to consider Kenta and Senichi a pair? I guess it depends on how the party interactions actually look to him.

But he might still note Senichi as someone of relevance and the simple act of leaving with Nasu would earn him a ding.
Good point. I will make a roll out of it, a basic Recognizing Someone Based On Glory roll, with a heavily reduced TN due to his occupation in monitoring traffic through his garrison, and knowing that you entered and left the guard checkpoints together and had dinner with another traveling noble that night.

[_5d10k3] = (6+4+1)=11

That's a terrible roll, he missed his TN 15, and hasn't quite placed you. As far as he knows right now, you're just one of Nasu's men (and your new clothes probably have helped to 'disguise' you a bit).

Captain Kinkajou
Ranger
Ranger

#40 Post by Captain Kinkajou »

Starbeard wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:46 am(Leitz, if you would like to add a retroactive introduction to the party as per Kinkajou's OOC comments for Aiko, please feel free)
Given Leiz's response to my comment for Aiko, Aiko would have introduced Kunpu to her travelling companions at the beginning of the evening.

"Osaru, Kenta, Senichi, please allow me a moment to introduce you to an honourable soul who I met after this afternoon's sparring," Aiko begins. "This is Kunpu, a current resident here at Lord and Lady Nasu's manor. I sense he was treated poorly before coming here and there are those within these walls that do not look upon him favourably because he was once a Scorpion and now has no clan. But, I judge a person by their words and deeds, not their past or their situation. In these, Kunpu has acted well and given me no cause to do anything but welcome him and call him friend. I hope that you will do the same."

She turns to each of the other three, introducing them to Kunpu in turn.

"You already know something of Master Osaru, my respected sparring partner from this afternoon. Like you, he calls no clan his own but he has long been friend to my family and is highly regarded for his wisdom and skill with the blade. I owe much of my ability with the sword to his patient and generous tutelage. We have travelled far together he and I."

"Next is Kenta, a kind and gentle giant to his friends and those who are deserving of his care and protection. It was he who nursed me after the demon crushed my arm and left me bloody and broken in the snow. I shall always be grateful for his skillful healing and the gift of his friendship."

"And the last of our present company, Matsumoto Senichi, wise shugenja of the Unicorn clan, bearer of secret knowledge and master of mysterious arts."

"Together we have journeyed here all the way from the capital. We have faced many dangers and encountered much strangeness on our way to attend the Festival of Sorrowful Passing, but these events have only bound us together all the more closely. Now, we intend to root out and put an end to whatever evil stalks these mountains together as well."

Return to “Roleplaying in the Emerald Empire (L5R)”