[IC] Into the Unknown

Julius Sleazer
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: [IC] Into the Unknown

#81 Post by Julius Sleazer »

Blacksmith

The man expectorates heartily.

"Sounds like swiving Chaossworn work if I ever heard tell of it," he says. "I'll be sure to tell the Queen's Guard the next time they ride through, and they'll let a magistrate know straight off. About this night-time rider, I tried letting a lieutenant of lancers know, but did he do anything? These soldiers have time to go off somewhere west of Danum and muck about with some other nation's civil war, but they don't have time to deal with problems close to home. What's the point in even paying taxes these days?"

"As far as what the rider looked like, I'm afraid I can't tell you much. It was night, and he was wrapped up in dark clothing, riding a dark horse. From the hoof-prints we saw, it had to've been a goodly-sized riding horse, well-shod. Hadn't thrown a shoe or anything."

"Oh, and he was riding east, hell-bent for leather. I doubt he meant to ride the young lady down a'purpose. Believe he was just in a hurry and had no regard for a poor girl crossing the street after dark."
Wyzard
Ranger
Ranger

#82 Post by Wyzard »

Tacitus the Multiloquent

"Well, on that kind of basis, it'd be hard to say if he'd ever be brought to justice. It's an awful world out there." Tacitus makes ready to ride on.
Julius Sleazer
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#83 Post by Julius Sleazer »

Blacksmith

"You're right enough there, stranger. 'Dark-clad man in the dark night commits crime.' Not much for anyone to go on."

The party rides on to the east, making another dozen miles. They spy a village about or slightly above the size of Durans Well. The Great East Road serves as the town's main thoroughfare, naturally, but there are several side streets running south and north.

On the western edge of town, four men in long coats lounge near an empty cart. A few farm-wives and villagers walk through the muddy street here and there, scurry about quotidian errands. Two old men sit on the porch of one building; one smokes a pipe, whilst the other appears to be chewing tobacco. Near a pile of barrels and crates, a man in a red cap busies himself checking the tack of a fine palfrey. A few men with the look of merchants' guards stand near the mouth of a side-street, shooting dice and shouting encouragement.

This town appears to have at least two inns, as well as a smithy and something that appears to be a general store. For the most part, the architecture is similar to that of Durans Well, although the roofs here are generally finer, being of tile or wood-shingled rather than thatched. The buildings are often a story shorter than they would be back home, but the main difference here is that the rustically-dressed individuals seem to take the passing of strangers as a matter of daily course rather than something which merits remark, wonder, and excitement.
thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#84 Post by thirdkingdom »

Cadmus the Confused

Cadmus rides up to the elderly gentlemen on the porch. "What news, gents?" he asks, "we heard tales of a mysterious rider trampling the innocent under the hooves of his horse in the last town. What is the world coming to, I ask you."
Wyzard
Ranger
Ranger

#85 Post by Wyzard »

Tacitus the Multiloquent

If Cadmus fails to elicit anything interesting, Tacitus inquires more specifically about a dark man riding hell-bent-for-leather through the night, and if anyone might have seen or heard of him.
Julius Sleazer
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#86 Post by Julius Sleazer »

An Old-Timer

"Haven't heard that one yet, stranger, but it doesn't surprise me any. Young folk these days---present company excluded, of course---are becoming more dissolute and dissipated with every passing year. Moral laxity is now the rule rather than the exception. I blame Chaos, of course."

Second Old-Timer

The pipe-smoking septuagenarian chimes in. "Rider in the night? Either last night or the night before, can't remember, a couple hours before dawn, some fool rode through here like the Wild Hunt was on his trail. Woke my dogs up, they started barking, woke me up. Bastard was headed east, is all I know."

An Old-Timer

"Ayup, more trouble-makers from the west---no offense. If it ain't beggars and tramps, it's loungers."
Vektunaxa
Tracker
Tracker

#87 Post by Vektunaxa »

Alfius the Aeviternal, Fighter

Alfius inquires what lays on the road ahead, and whether the next couple of villages are close by.
Julius Sleazer
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#88 Post by Julius Sleazer »

Vektunaxa wrote:Alfius the Aeviternal, Fighter

Alfius inquires what lays on the road ahead, and whether the next couple of villages are close by.
Second Old-Timer

"You're in Concangis right now. Two days of good riding---not breakneck---on the open road should see you at the official boundary of the capital district. Maybe another few hours of riding after that should see you at the West Gate headed through the walls."

"Between here and the the capitol, you'll pass through a couple places where there're a few houses, maybe an alehouse or a blacksmith. They ain't really even villages. Most of them don't have names other than the name of the general store or the alehouse. 'Maurus's Alehouse.' 'Virgil's Provisions.' Names like that, you see? Nothing you'd find on a proper map."

"If you're asking about danger, there's no real danger that I can think of until you come to Camulodunon. Get caught up in any of the troubles in the city and it could end badly for you. As far as the road, though, you're so close to the capital that the roads're really well-patrolled. The Queen's Guards would be on a brigand within a day at most if he set up shop by the roadside."

"Farms're closer together as you keep going east, so if you ever need to stop for directions or anything, there's that. Plus, more farms, more men...fewer wolves, fewer bears. I haven't even heard of a man getting attacked by a wolf in these parts in years."
In other words, it is being indicated that there are precisely 144 miles from Concangis to the western edge of the captial district.
MonsterMash
Ranger
Ranger

#89 Post by MonsterMash »

Decimus Numerous

"We may as well ride on that way east then as we'll be safe enough camping out or in an inn then. For odd rumours I heard about a fellow spreading a story of nude dancers in the woods somewhere to the north of the main road here, but not sure it is more than a scheme to send people off into a nest of bandits".
Julius Sleazer
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#90 Post by Julius Sleazer »

An Old-Timer

"Nude dancers? I wouldn't even believe that of Danum! That sounds like the sort of degenerate behavior you'd find in a seaport in some outland realm."

The members of the party notice that the four men in long coats who were lounging near the empty cart have suddenly begun striding towards the adventurers. From underneath their dusters of deceit, these four have each produced loaded crossbows now leveled at the youths from Durans Well. The two old men on the porch gawp in shock and fear and begin scrambling to draw out blades at their belts.
Yardage: 2d6 6

Distance is 60 yards. Please declare intentions. Neither side has the advantage of surprise. Please indicate in your response post whether or not your PC is still mounted.
thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#91 Post by thirdkingdom »

Cadmus the Confused

"Hold in the name of the Lord of the Law!" cries Cadmus, casting his spell of holding upon the four men.
MonsterMash
Ranger
Ranger

#92 Post by MonsterMash »

Decimus Numerous

Decimus still mounted on his horse turns it to ride at the nearest crosswbowman.

"Bandits and thieves hiding here to rob innocent travellers".
Vektunaxa
Tracker
Tracker

#93 Post by Vektunaxa »

"Leave the poor folk of this village alone!" Alfius cries as he dismounts his horse and draws his halberd.
Wyzard
Ranger
Ranger

#94 Post by Wyzard »

Tacitus the Multiloquent

Tacitus, mounted, dashes his horse off an alley-way to gain cover from the incoming crossbow bolts.
This is stage 1 of a flanking maneuver. Tacitus intends to loop around and charge them from the side or back.
Julius Sleazer
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#95 Post by Julius Sleazer »

Combat Round One

Tacitus spurs his horse into action, riding forward to the east and then breaking to his right---southwards---down a side-street. Tacitus soon wheels his horse to the left---east again---and finds himself on a small lane running parallel to the Great East Road. Ahead of him, he can see another alleyway where he could turn to the north and then double back on the Great East Road.

Decimus charges at the four shootists with his horse, attempting to ride them down. Alfius is occupied with the process of dismounting and readying his halberd for action. Cadmus speaks a word of command, and one of the crossbowmen freezes in his tracks, looking frightened.

As Decimus barrels into the midst of the crossbowmen, his horses lashes out with both of its front legs, but the crossbowman whom the hedge-wizard has attempted to ride down dodges successfully. The same man fires off a shot at Alfius, but the halberdier is not injured; the inaccurate quarrel thunks into a wooden support beam.

Another of the crossbowmen fires from point blank range, and a quarrel plants itself in Decimus' torso, and blood trickles down his chest and onto his horse. The beast rears up with a frightened whinny. Another crossbowman fires at the spot where Tactius was; his attack does little more than cause damage to a porch-railing.

The two old men on the porch are now on their feet with daggers drawn, neither giving ground nor advancing. Men and women on the street scream in terror and run for cover. The lone exception is the man with the red cap; he watches the fray with intent curiosity.

Party takes the initiative. Round One init. Party rolls first as always.: 1d6 4 1d6 2

Todd, I haven't heard from you about whether or not Cadmus is dismounted; I'm assuming he is to make any potential continued spellcasting easier.

Order of combat is, as always, Morale, Movement, Missile, Magic, Melee.

Tacitus goes first as above (see IC portion of post for description of movement).

Decimus: not seeing any description of action from Decimus specifically---looks like you're going to have him use his horse to ride down a bad guy? So I'll adjudicate the movement during the Movement phase, and the horse's attack during the Melee phase.

Alfius: See above.

Cadmus: How many people are affected by a group hold person?: 1d4 2

Two people affected by a group Hold Person. Two saving throws: 2#1d20 19 10

Crossbowman One makes his save; Crossbowman Two doesn't.

Decimus's horse, Decem, melee vs. Crossbowman One: vs. Crossbowman One: 2#1d20 3 8 2#1d4 3 2

Neither of those hoof attacks is going to connect.

The two old men draw daggers; they're neither withdrawing or advancing.

Crossbowman One vs. Alfius: Attack vs. Alfius. +1 due to short range: 1d20+1 8 1d6 3 Miss.
Crossbowman Two vs. Cadmus: No action---this opponent is Held.
Crossbowman Three vs. Decimus: +1 bonus due to short range: 1d20+1 17 1d6 5 Decimus is hit for 5 hit points of damage. I've updated the wiki accordingly.
Crossbowman Four vs. Tacitus: Shot hits a random building. Tacitus is out of line of sight now with his maneuvering.
Vektunaxa
Tracker
Tracker

#96 Post by Vektunaxa »

Alfius thrusts his halberd at the miscreants.
Wyzard
Ranger
Ranger

#97 Post by Wyzard »

Tacitus the Multiloquent

Tacitus continues his maneuver, attempting to come in from the rear or flank and behead someone with his sword.
MonsterMash
Ranger
Ranger

#98 Post by MonsterMash »

Decimus Numerous

Decimus keeps riding looking to get his horse to a place of safety then return to the melee on foot with his normal dagger readied.
thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#99 Post by thirdkingdom »

Cadmus the Confused

Cadmus takes his mace from his belt and strides forward, brandishing it in one hand. "This town is no place for you, contemptible cowards of Chaos! Fie!" He swings at the man who has wounded Decimus. "Through down your weapons and I will see that the Lord of Law judges you fairly!"
Julius Sleazer
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#100 Post by Julius Sleazer »

Combat Round Two

The three foemen who still have their wits about them cast down their crossbows and draw forth the concealed knives of sneaking sicarii. With roars of hate and rage, they charge at Cadmus, quickly covering ground. They fall upon him, stabbing and thrusting with their daggers.

The beleaguered youth manages to fend off two of the attackers, but the third strikes a goodly blow. Red blood spills out a wound in Cadmus's shoulder, splattering the street. The youthful priest retaliates, striking out at the man who so recently smote Decimus.

The long-coated lurker laughs lustily as he ducks under the blow and then rises up, making taunting motions and menacing gestures with his bloody dagger. Alfius rushes into the fray, thrusting mightily with his halberd. The young man puts every sinew into his attack---but none of his grace. The intended target dodges with contemptuous ease, although he surely would have been skewered and slain had Alfius' aim been more accurate.

Tacitus, meanwhile, guides his galloping horse east, and then north through the alley. Merchants' guards who had been dicing a moment before now scatter, their observance of the fight interrupted by Meatboy's charge. Tactitus wheels westward and then charges into the unsuspecting knife-wielders.

Although his brutal blade is too big to bring to bear against the brazen brigands, the sheer force of his steed Meatboy's impact sends one of the crossbowmen crashing down into the street. Unable to arrest his forward momentum, the horse tramples over the fallen foeman, caving in his skull and chest. The man expires with an ugly ululation of utter anguish.

The two old-timers let out a ragged cheer upon seeing this unexpected evening of the odds. Meanwhile, men and women in the street continue their flight to safety. The man in the red chapeau hops onto his palfrey and begins galloping eastwards at high speed. From somewhere in the settlement, a bell begins to clang clamorously.

Decimus, having guided his horse away from the fray, returns on foot with drawn dagger, ready to render aid to his friends.

Initiative for Round Two: 1d6 2 1d6 5

The enemy takes the initiative.

All three of the non-held guys are charging & declaring a melee attack on Cadmus. This isn't me picking on Todd; for one thing, some of y'all (Tacitus) have fled for all they know. For another, Cadmus is quite obviously presenting the biggest threat to date.

Anyway...

Attacls pn Cadmus w/ daggers: 3#1d20 6 20 3 3#1d4 2 4 1

Okay, that's two misses, and one natural twenty, so max damage on that one. Cadmus is down to 21/25 hit points, and I've updated the wiki to reflect that.

Cadmus: vs. C3 w/ mace: 1d20 4 1d6 6
Alfius: halberd vs. C1: 1d20+1 2 1d10+1 11

Tacitus: Sorry, I'm not going to permit an attack with a zweihander from horseback. For some reason I thought you had another sword. Anyway, there's certainly no reason to disallow riding them down from an unexpected direction.

Meatboy vs. C4: 1d20 17 1d4 1 1d20 11 1d4 3

Okay, the 17 hits for 1 damage. And the 11 hits as well. These hits deserve at least a +1 bonus for flanking, but they'll hit without me awarding any bonuses versus the target AC. That's four damage total.

hp: 1d8 3

Tacitus' charge results in Crossbowman Four's death.
The fact that the enemies have not yet rolled a morale check is not an omission.

Please declare intentions for round three.
MM, this is an edit: I totally forgot to include your dude in the write-up...I knew what he was doing, I just didn't cover it. Ride horse out of combat, dismount, draw dagger, return....that'll eat up his action for a round. He's good to go next round.

Return to “Into the Unknown (B/X D&D)”