MILLION CREDIT COMM JOB

atpollard
Hvalreki
Ranger
Ranger

Re: MILLION CREDIT COMM JOB

#81 Post by Hvalreki »

Herbie asks the children and the guide about what kind of wildlife they should expect around the tower and how to best avoid the dangerous ones if they can or any tricks to stopping them if they can't.
Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#82 Post by Thumper »

Are any explosives available in the village? Dynamite or equivalent? Mick likes fishing with dynamite…
Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#83 Post by Eris »

Joe pulls Mick aside and says, "Mick, I'm skilled in the repair of mechanical things and can assist in repairing electronics, but for this expedition, my best skills are with guns. My experience with them, though, is interior work not shooting at things at distance in open spaces. Hence my preferred weapons are shotgun and auto pistol. I'm thinking neither is the best choice for what we might face up here."

"So, I can assist you and Olivia with security, but you two are going to have to kit me out with what I need." Joe shakes his head, "I really don't know what's going to be needed up here or what weapons I should choose."
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun
Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#84 Post by Thumper »

Mick to Joe:

Sure, Joe. Her’s my thoughts:

As a group, we have the following weapons manufactured for the extreme cold:
5x 12mm rifles w/folding stocks and scopes
2x 12mm rifles plain
1x 9mm rifle w/folding stock and scope
A handful of 7mm rifles plain

You and I have 12mm revolvers and the rest have 9mm revolvers. I think you, me, Herbie, and Olivia need scoped rifles. You’re a pretty strong and dexterous looking bloke…I think the bigger the better.

Those rifles and revolvers are good for 2-legged vermin and the packs of Arctic Cats since rifles are inherently armor piercing. I think anyone tasked with defense ought to have scoped rifles to increase possibility of hitting at long distance…even the big Arctic Wolves when far out.

For the Arctic Wolves we’ll definitely need these St Oyland shotguns or the X-2 pump shotguns with HE explosive rounds for when they get inside 60 meters.

I suggest we buy the following:
4x 15mm double barrel shot-pistols as sidearms.
1x 15mm Tri-barrel shotgun
1x 21 Tri-barrel shotgun

No point getting the single barrels since we can use the pump action 18mm shotguns we bought from X-2 with the HE rounds they sell here…and carry more. But that’s for those with the Strength and aim to handle the bucking kick it produces. If ya don’t want kick, then look at the single barrel 15mm.

We can engage anything threatening us at long range with the rifles, then transition to shotguns using HE rounds closer in, then transitioning to our shot pistols or revolvers at close range. I would load long shotguns with all HE and the Howdahs with one round #1 shot and 1 round HEAP.

I’d like to kit out with a 12mm scoped rifle with the scope and folding stock, a Howdah, and the 21mm Tri-barrel. My fair weather guns and a pump shotgun will stay in the ATV for now.

Recommend everybody planning overwatch use a scoped rifle and a HE loaded shotgun that you’re comfortable with…perhaps a Howda as a second sidearm.

I think someone with, ah, aiming difficulties or is afraid of the recoil should choose a 15mm Tri-barrel, single barrel, and the 15mm Howdah shot-pistol. Should also look to the 7mm or 9mm rifles.

I’m going to look awful funny with my revolver in my shoulder-holster, a Howdah at my right hip with, a rifle on my left shoulder and this mondo shotgun slung over my right. But I’ll be ready for anything!
Last edited by Thumper on Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:58 am, edited 6 times in total.
atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

2156.11.7.0910 Saint Oyland

#85 Post by atpollard »

2156.11.7.0910 Saint Oyland

Taking care of loose ends before setting out:

Mick inquired about locating Sophia and Mother Niki and was greeted with concern about his health. If Mick was ill, he should rest and Mother Niki would come to see him. “Who ever knows where Sophia is! That girl is always running some errand for the Council, or gathering something that Mother Niki needs.” Mick selects the desired guns from the available list, finds the holsters for them and purchases HE ammo [HEAP is Military Only - LL2]. The 18mm HE fits the 18mm Pump Shotgun. Explosives are not available [Saint Oyland is LL4; Explosives are LL0].

(If Mick was interested in ordering a weapon, Guns are custom built to specifications. Start with desired caliber: 12mm, 15mm, 18mm, 21mm, 24mm? Length and number of barrels? Rifle Stock or Pistol Grip? If single barrel, Falling Block or Break-open or Lever Action? Rifled or shotgun?)

DJ inquired after 9mm HE ammo for his revolver, which they had in stock. They also had 18mm HE rounds that would work in your shotgun.

Herbie’s inquiries about animals expected at the Tower revealed a streak of “dark humor” among the locals as they suggested that the most likely animals were scavengers picking the bones of all the visitors rushing to the Arctic unprepared … and the best way to deal with them was to not bother them while they were eating. Herbie also stumbled across something rather curious, a school age child studying by burning incense as he memorized an entire book verbatim. When Herbie asked about the scented smoke, the child said “pipeweed” helps him remember.
"welcoming humbly His light and proudly His darkness" - e.e. cummings
shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#86 Post by shaidar »

DJ takes the opportunity to purchase 50 HE revolver round and 50 HE shotgun rounds.

He then finds the others.

"I think somebody else ought to use that pump action shotgun I got at X2, it's a bit of a beast. I'd be better with a double or triple of the slightly smaller one they make here. I'm going to leave my snub pistol in the ATV, I've been told the oil isn't good below - 10. It'll still be useful in an emergency if we keep the ATV warm enough. "
Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#87 Post by Thumper »

The weight of the 12mm rifles is nearly twice that of Micks 11mm Trophy hunting rifle. Do the 12mm have bi-pods? The Tri-bores will be only slightly lighter. These St Oyland guns are big and heavy despite being constructed of composites.

For reference, the Barret 50cal military sniper rifle is around 13mm and weighs in at 10kg, and is close to the limit of practical man-portablity in the field.

The entrepreneurial wheels are turning in Mick’s noggin as he sees opportunities to organize hunts up here of big predators. He’ll want another very impressive long-distance Arctic hunting rifle (sniper). He puts an order in for roughly a 135cm total length, 15mm rifle with bipod, shock absorbing stock and electronic scope. He’ll also want a repeater to take on the pack predators, so he orders a 9mm, 80cm long lever action repeater.

He’ll ask for a box each of 12mm HE and Discard Sabot armor piercing rounds for his rifle and revolver.

Definitely recommend hiring the guide!! Then press on out.
atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

2156.11.7.1110 Arctic Wilderness (40 km from Comm Tower)

#88 Post by atpollard »

2156.11.7.1110 Arctic Wilderness (40 km from Comm Tower)

Sunrise at 10 AM was welcome, made travel easier, and raised the temperature from the pre-dawn low of -45C to an early morning -40C. The snow persisted in its light dusting from the sky with negligible accumulation. The 20+ kph moderate breeze continued to create a “fog” of swirling snow that hugged the ground and limited long range visibility.

The Hunter from Saint Oyland seemed delighted with the weather, claiming the cold spell would keep predators away as they hunkered down to ride out the extreme cold caused by the winds. He had little difficulty directing the ATV along an invisible road obscured by shifting snow drifts as he navigated by local landmarks that all looked like the same snow covered hill or large moss covered stone to an outsider.

The lead ATV abruptly lurched to a halt and the team in the second ATV saw no reason for the stop. Radio contact between the vehicles opened with “Trouble Ahead.” which led to the clarification that an ATV was blocking the road ahead. Your tracked vehicles could easily go off road and drive around it, but a vehicle stopped an hour outside the Comm Tower suggested that some caution and investigation might be in order.

Tracked ATV in Snowdrift.jpg
Tracked ATV in Snowdrift.jpg (143.8 KiB) Viewed 160 times
Hvalreki
Ranger
Ranger

#89 Post by Hvalreki »

"Hey, we need to see if anyone needs our help!"

He pulls his goggles on and tightens up his face mask then shoulders the heavy medical pack. As an afterthought he grabs his rifle then fips on his headlamp as he snowshoes towards the ATV.

Over the open comms they can hear Herbie repeating something under his breath...at first they thought it might be a prayer but turning up the gain he's reciting the Army SOP for vehicle search over and over again like a litany.

"Standard - conduct a field vehicle search:

Use an improvised mirror device to search the undercarriage and other areas that are difficult to
see.

While conducting the search look for any electrical wires that seem out of place or any unidentifiable foreign objects.

a. Search the inside of the vehicle, to include —

(1) Behind and under the seat.

(2) Under the dashboard.

(3) Glove and tool compartment.

(4) Above the sun visor.

b. Search the outside of the vehicle, in sequence, to include —

(1) Left front fender well and behind the wheel.

(2) Under the front bumper and behind and under the grill.

(3) Under the hood and all areas behind the radiator and around the engine.

(4) Right front fender well and behind the wheel.

(5) Under the right side of the body, back to and including the right rear fender well, and behind the wheel.

(6) Inside cargo areas and the trunk.

(7) Under and behind the rear bumper.

(8) Left rear fender well and behind the wheel.

(9) Under the left side of the body, back to the left front fender well.

(10) Top of the vehicle.

(11) Fuel tank(s). "
Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#90 Post by Thumper »

Mick gathers his things and piles into a back seat of one of the ATVs. Within minutes, he’s sleeping.

He wakes with the halting of the tracks and the commotion surrounding the discovery of the drifted vehicle. With a start, he’s closing up his cold weather clothing, bounding out of the ATV, two bags in hand, and crawling up on the roof of the vehicle he rode in on. Kneeling, he opens his gun bag and lays his assortment of rifle and smooth bore weapons out on top of the bag (X-2 rifle, X-2 shotgun, St Oyland Tri-barrel), stuffs his Howdah into it’s holster, performs a function check on each of them. The rifle in one hand and binocs in the other, he stands and scans around the area for danger.

Comms crackle as Mick says, I’m set. All clear. I’ve got you Herbie. Do we have everybody on comm? Hot mic catches the sound of a stifled yawning.

Truth be told, Micks’ feeling the tension of being in an inhospitable environment, extreme remoteness, and potentially facing some massive threats from wildlife. His yawning turns into a grin!! His blood is pumping in a way he hasn’t felt in a very long time. Worse than almost going down with his sailboat.
Last edited by Thumper on Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#91 Post by shaidar »

DJ

Leaving the village DJ offers to drive the second ATV so that those with weapon, recon and survival skills are free to do their thing.

When the convey stops, he does his best to stay alert and be ready to move if needed.

"Track two, DJ here."
atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

2156.11.7.1120 Arctic Wilderness (40 km from Comm Tower)

#92 Post by atpollard »

2156.11.7.1120 Arctic Wilderness (40 km from Comm Tower)

The wind bit at Mick from his perch atop the ATV, but the height placed him above the haze of windborne snow that hampered visibility at the ground level. He could make out the faint outline of a human form through the frost covered windows of the other ATV. The ice on the window seemed to be interfering with the Thermal imaging.

DJ was alert and ready for trouble.

Herbie approached on foot and paused for a long moment … it would take HOURS to dig the vehicle out of the snow drift to search underneath with a mirror. It was too cold and windy for that! Herbie thought about the problem for a long while and eventually decided to start with the interior search. Climbing on the track allowed Herbie to open the door …

Inside, the driver had his arm resting on a box between the seats and was staring straight at Herbie.
Driver.jpg
Driver.jpg (128.6 KiB) Viewed 137 times
Herbie started to speak but the driver never spoke or even moved. Herbie checked the leathery skin for a pulse and the man was frozen solid. The GPS in the center of the dash was still lit and faithfully waiting to continue guiding the vehicle to the Arctic Relay Station - 40 km NW of here. A blue line on the dashboard indicated the route with a red dot at the destination and a small “car” icon blinking your current position. There were two other car icons immediately next to the blinking icon on the screen.

Clearly the man is past help. It appears another team attempted to press on through the storm and almost beat your group to the Arctic Relay Tower. Thirty more kilometers - one more hour - and he might have survived.

Your choice (as a group) is to spend time searching the vehicle or to keep moving …
Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#93 Post by Thumper »

Mick flags the location in his inertial locator.

I marked the spot. What d’ya all think of grabbing anything quickly retrievable and moving on? I’m thinking we can stop and salvage this one on the way back.
shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#94 Post by shaidar »

DJ

"I say grab any tools or parts that we can and move on."
Hvalreki
Ranger
Ranger

#95 Post by Hvalreki »

“Uh guys we got a body here. Looks like he’s froze solid.”

“We should bring the body with us. Ain’t right just leavin a fella dead like that. He’s got people somewhere worried about him prolly.” We can wrap him up in a tarp and strap him to the roof so he’ll keep until we get back to town if we can’t fire up or fix his rig.”

“I’m bringing a box I found back too but I’ll need help to move him after I get a tarp and some rope.”

Any indications on why the ATV stopped in the first place? Did the heater break? Any signs of foul play or a medical incident? Can Herbie restart the engine?
atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#96 Post by atpollard »

Any indications on why the ATV stopped in the first place? Did the heater break? Any signs of foul play or a medical incident? Can Herbie restart the engine?

Herbie pressed the START button. The vehicle had power (the panel lit up), but the engine made absolutely no effort to start (no cranking noise, no heat, no indicators on the panel past zero).
Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#97 Post by Thumper »

“We should bring the body with us. Ain’t right just leavin a fella dead like that. He’s got people somewhere worried about him prolly.” We can wrap him up in a tarp and strap him to the roof so he’ll keep until we get back to town if we can’t fire up or fix his rig.”
Takin the time to load the frozen driver to our vehicle at this time will just slow us down. He’ll keep perfectly fine inside the vehicle which we can tow back to St Oyland on our return. Not abandoning him, just gonna collect him on the return leg. We don’t need a hood ornament for the rest of the drive up to the station just to turn around and carry him right back here when we can pick him up on the way back.

The most good we can do now is get that relay fixed so unprepared people stop rushing up here to their deaths. The faster the fix is completed, the faster people stop dying up here! Time’s a wasting’!

Mick starts wondering to himself if the members of the expedition are feeling a healthy sense of urgency. It seems as though several members are looking for excuses to stop and spend time on futile delays that are incongruent with the stated mission he thought they were undertaking. He's feeling a little out of sync with the rest of the group, and he's very puzzled by this. This subject will occupy his mind once everybody is back on the ATVs and rolling forward.

“Are they fatigued? But isn’t that why everybody else stayed on the airplane this morning…to sleep? Are they deterred by the conditions…first time facing the polar climates? Did they understand from the beginning the time sensitive nature of the mission? Did a combination of these things lead to a loss of focus? What can I or should I do about it?”

He will look for an opportunity to re-state: Our expedition is well prepared to get the job finished…as best as what’s knowable. The sooner we get this done, the sooner less prepared parties will stop showing up and dying up here.
Last edited by Thumper on Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#98 Post by shaidar »

DJ

"It's good you care Herbie, and you're right we shouldn't leave the poor guy out here, but Mick is also right that we can pick him up on the way back. Let's grab that box and get moving." he pauses for a second "I do wonder...did he really come all this way on his own?"

Does the guide recognise him, or know of any groups that passed through just before us?
atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#99 Post by atpollard »

shaidar wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:20 pmDoes the guide recognize him, or know of any groups that passed through just before us?
The guide doesn't know him ... but his clothes are not right for this far north.
You are the first group to stop at Saint Oyland since the original Repair Team visited on their way to fix the relay. The "so-called rescue team" from X-2 didn't even stop at the community.
Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#100 Post by Thumper »

Thumper wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:34 am
From which merchant can I buy some of those in the morning? What about HE or HEAP rounds for 12mm rifles and revolvers?
This was from the first part of St Orlando with Didier. Couldn’t find an answer to the question. Is any HE available in 12mm? Of course, it would have to fit the chamber of a X-2 12mm bolt action or revolver…tougher to do than with a break open shotgun…

Return to “BACKWATER (Classic Traveller)”