The Gnoll Problem

Tamerlaine
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Thatchum I - IC

#81 Post by Spearmint »

Spiridon

The halfling has to run twice as fast as he has shorter legs but manages to keep up and follows in file behind the others.

He copies Fochelle, replicating a poor shot with his bow, thudding an arrow into the door of the cabin.

Spiridon: Shortbow attack [1d20+4]=4+4=8[1d6]=3
kwll
Ranger
Ranger

#82 Post by kwll »

Han follows closely Spiridon and Fochelle, javelin in hand. He tries to get a better view of what is currently happening behind the dwelling.
The_Wanderer
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#83 Post by The_Wanderer »

Snowdrop

Snowdrop approaches more cautiously, bow in hand. She stays close to any trees or in cover against the outbuildings until the situation becomes more clear.
Tamerlaine
Ranger
Ranger

#84 Post by Tamerlaine »

I need to know what Han is doing. I read two different actions...one, he's following Fochelle and Spiridon closely as they rush into the house. Two, he's trying to ascertain what's going on behind the house. I just need this clarified.

I actually write up most of the initial encounter but something happened. In like the blink of an eye my post just disappeared. Nothing was saved, as a draft or anything I could recover. F*k all. It's late and the wife is after me. I'll do this again tomorrow.
kwll
Ranger
Ranger

#85 Post by kwll »

OK, I misunderstood the actions of my party mates. Han follows Fochelle and Spiridon then, but stays near the threshold and stays behind.
Tamerlaine
Ranger
Ranger

#86 Post by Tamerlaine »

The interior is a shambles with furniture knocked about. Broken shards of pottery lay scattered about the rough wooden floor as well as pools, streaks and splatters of blood. Against the northwestern corner you seen a massive, crouched figure. It is nearly seven-feet tall, yet it is crouched and so it must be at least another foot taller. It is grey furred with dark brown stripes along its flanks, it’s legs bent backwards the way the rear legs of canines are. The legs, an arm, and the shoulders are covered with castoff or crude jury-rigged pieces of various armors. A loincloth girds its waist and a pair of rotting skulls hang by their hair from it’s belt. There’s a low growl, a sharp yip as it rakes a shelf of herbs with a large worn and rusted axe.

It is a gnoll!!

It is surprised!!!

Fochelle/Spiridon...both of you fire off your arrows, perhaps hastily so as neither comes close to hitting the gnoll. Han stays a bit behind his comrades, holding back. I’m judging Han to be using a holding action and will be able to act first regardless of the initiative roll for next the next round.

(Good thing I remembered the rolls as this melee could have turned out different)

The gnoll wins the initiative this round. Han, you can take an action before the gnoll makes his attack.

The gnoll turns, its dark muzzle turned your way, those dead black orbs sweeping across all three of you. It is fast, the creature exploding in a burst of fury as it charges with its axe swinging round at...

Spiridon!

But the incredible blow swings wide as the Halfling easily ducks. Halfling luck? (I rolled damage along with the to hit roll and it was an eight! Mercy)

Auge runs frantically around the west side as Rardi chuffs her way around the right. Snowdrop is a bit more cautious than the two, sticking to the trees and shrubs that surround the farmstead. In the center of the structures is a fire and a gnoll is squatting down eating what looks like a human thigh. A crude frame of saplings and sticks rests over the flame with strips of flesh roasting over it. There’s a body near the gnoll, a bloody flayed and dismembered figure of what was once a human being. By the gnoll’s side is a creature resembling that of a dog yet looking similar to that of it’s master. It too is feasting on some remnant of human flesh and bone.

No one is surprised.

Initiative: Auge, etc... [1d6]=5 Gnoll: [1d6]=5

A tie!

Initiative: Auge, etc... [1d6]=3 Gnoll: [1d6]=3

Another tie!

Initiative: Auge, etc... [1d6]=3 Gnoll: [1d6]=4

And three’s the charm! Auge, Rardi and Snowdrop go first followed by the gnoll and the hyeana.

Actions!
Last edited by Tamerlaine on Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#87 Post by Stirling »

Fochelle

Steps aside as the Gnoll targets melee with the others.

Fochelle looses arrow: short range [1d20+2]=17+2=19[1d6]=2

She pings in an arrow.
The_Wanderer
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#88 Post by The_Wanderer »

Snowdrop puffs out her cheeks as she pulls back the string on her bow, lines up the shot...and fires at the beastman aiming at it's neck.

If it's actually medium range, just subtract 1 to hit
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#89 Post by Spearmint »

Spiridon

Draws his curved scimitar and challenges the dog faced humanoid.

"So you want to play with the big boys eh? Well, lets see what you've got!"

Spiridon: Scimitar melee [1d20+1]=13+1=14[1d8+1]=1+1=2

Possibly a minor wound (hits AC 5).

(I should note too, halflings have a bonus +2 to AC vs larger than man sized opponents, so I should be equal to AC 3 not 5. Every little boon helps when one stab might prove fatal).
kwll
Ranger
Ranger

#90 Post by kwll »

Without much hope for success, Han attempts to hit the gnoll with his sling.

Is the room dark enough that illuminating the creature would give a bonus to hit?
Tamerlaine
Ranger
Ranger

#91 Post by Tamerlaine »

With his sling whirring faster, Han tries to negotiate his confining surroundings and lets loose with the stone. It goes wide and there’s an explosion of dried herbs among the rafters above the gnoll. No, there’s still a bit of light coming through both open doorways and a window. There’s also an oil lamp that’s lit still.

Fochelle lets loose another arrow but this time the fletched missile flies true, striking the gnoll for a slight wound.

Drawing a wicked scimitar and bringing the curved blade to bear, Spiridon challenges the gnoll with Halfling aplomb. The blade kisses the beastman’s thigh. The cut is shallow, but it bleeds.

+++++++++++++++++

Auge, full of fury and rage, charges the gnoll swinging his longsword in a great sweeping arc...

Auge To Hit: [1d20+1]=16+1=17 Damage: [1d8+2]=2+2=4

The gnoll tries to backstep yet the blade finds his flesh.

Rardi comes in hard at the gnoll and swings her battleaxe.

Rardi To Hit:[1d20+2]=9+2=11 Damage:[1d8+2]=4+2=6

But the blow is for naught as it misses!

Snowdrop joins the dog-pile and fires an arrow, aiming for the neck. Yet the arrow misses its mark.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Inside the house, it is pure chaos with four combatants duking it out in the dining area. Wounded twice, the gnoll redoubles it’s attack with that large rusty and nicked axe. This time it attacks...

Spiridon 1, Fochelle 2, Han 3 Roll:[1d3]=1

Gnoll Attack: [1d20-2]=17-2=15 Damage: [1d8+1]=5+1=6

The gnoll’s wicked blade finds the halfling, doing him grievous harm! It’s a terrible blow!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The gnoll, under attack by three foes, barks something guttural as it attacks with a flail; two rusty chains each with a blood and gore stained spiked ball.

Auge 1, Rardi 2 Roll:[1d2]=2

Gnoll Attack: [1d20]=6 Damage: [1d8+1]=7+1=8

The spiked balls miss the short dwarf!

They hyeana responds to the gnoll’s guttural command and runs to attack...

Auge 1, Rardi 2, Snowdrop 3 Roll:[1d3]=1

Hyena To Hit:[1d20]=16 Damage:[2d4]=6

Auge screams in pain as the powerful jaws latch onto the ranger’s leg and tears away flesh!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Though the rules state inintiative for both sides is rolled for each round, for ease of play i’m going to stick with using the same order of initiative beginning with the first roll per fight. If anyone objects please leave a note in the OOC room.

Unknown to everyone fighting, a lone figure is crouched and hidden within the shadows of the treeline (say, opposite Snowdrop’s side), elvish eyes watching the melee unfold amongst the devastation in and around the homestead.

Rhys may join the melee this round if he so wishes.

Actions?
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#92 Post by Spearmint »

The_Wanderer
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#93 Post by The_Wanderer »

Snowdrop keeps low and tries to pick out the gnome from the melee scrum, this time aiming for center-mass.

kwll
Ranger
Ranger

#94 Post by kwll »

the druid hears the growling of a hyena outside. Not sure he can be of any help fighting the monster inside, especially considering his lack of skill, he decides to leave and try to help his other companions fighting outside. When he sees the animal, he attempts to befriend it.

Han tries to cast Animal Companion on the hyena.
Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#95 Post by Stirling »

Fochelle

Aims another shaft at the towering Gnoll.

Fochelle looses arrow: short range [1d20+2]=10+2=12[1d6]=3
Tamerlaine
Ranger
Ranger

#96 Post by Tamerlaine »

Once we get a reply from tpj, I can continue.
tpj
Tracker
Tracker

#97 Post by tpj »

Rhys, observing the situation from a distance, decides it's time to help these strangers against their beastly adversaries.

He sprints closer with his longbow readied and lets loose as soon as he thinks he has a clear shot on the gnoll.

Rhys fires longbow (short range): [1d20+4]=6+4=10 [1d8]=2
Tamerlaine
Ranger
Ranger

#98 Post by Tamerlaine »

In the fight inside the home, Spiridon attempts another attack on the gnoll with his scimitar. The blow came so close, the scimitar’s edge scraping off a piece of the gnoll’s armor.

Fochelle draws back the feathers to her cheeck and lets the arrow fly yet it misses her target.

Perhaps feeling he’s underutilized in this fight, Han thinks he will be more use dealing with the hyena outside beyond the house. He leaves quickly through the open doorway he came through and runs around the west side. He’ll be able to take action next round.

Snarling at the pesky yet blooded halfling, the gnoll lunges at Spiridon, bringing his axe down.

Gnoll Attack: [1d20-2]=18-2=16 Damage: [1d8+1]=1+1=2

(Dammit) The blow fells the brave halfling, leaving Fochelle alone with the gnoll.

=================================

In agony, Auge swings his sword but it’s a terrible off-handed swing which misses.

There’s a twang from the gnome and Snowdrop’s arrow hits the gnoll. The creature grunts, snarling and growling as it is beset from all sides.

Rardi loudly questions the gnoll’s ancestry while swinging her battleaxe into wide arc. The blade bites deep into the gnoll’s flank and out, spraying blood and gore!

Rardi To Hit:[1d20+2]=13+2=15 Damage:[1d8+2]=8+2=10

From somewhere ,in the woods comes an arrow, it’s target seeming to be the gnoll. Mysterious!

The gnoll lets out a yip and a whine as it falls to the ground, dying of its wounds.

The hyena presses its attack on the ranger.

Hyena To Hit:[1d20]=8 Damage:[2d4]=3

This time Auge is ready and neatly sidesteps the hyena’s horrendous bite!

Our first party casualty. I hope Spearmint will reward us with another character to replace the plucky Spiridon.

I saw where Snowdrop is using a longbow, but due to the gnome's short stature he cannot use the longbow. The shortbow, yes. I went ahead and allowed the attack as the damage did not go over the maximum of six damage for a shortbow.

Actions?
Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#99 Post by Stirling »

Fochelle

Fochelle melee with spear. [1d20]=5[1d6]=4

Fumbles about against the Gnoll.

we do have the two healing potions so one might bring Spiridon around?
Tamerlaine
Ranger
Ranger

#100 Post by Tamerlaine »

Stirling wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:44 pm Fochelle
we do have the two healing potions so one might bring Spiridon around?
The rules in both LL Core and AEC are clear with regard to hit points and damage, When one’s hit points reach 0 or fewer, that character dies. The player is welcome, nay, is encouraged to make up a new character. Or perhaps Spiridon’s corpse can be brought to a high enough level cleric and resurrected, at a very high cost (and I’m not talking gold).

Return to “Highfell: The Drifting Dungeon (LL)”