Crooked Yew and crocked bees.

Gomezthebarbarian
Tracker
Tracker

Re: Crooked Yew and crocked bees.

#81 Post by Gomezthebarbarian »

Crouching, Barba can only watch as the words bring a feeling of dread.

Orcus

Set

As the beast drags its prey away, the half orc turns and whispers to the others. "We need to leave...NOW. If we are discovered, I don't we will win the fight."
Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#82 Post by Karaunios »

Dougal

"Aye. Let's gang outta here. This is way outta wur league." Despite his controlled countenance, fear can be seen on the ranger's face.
Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#83 Post by Quonundrum »

Moriartus

He was not well studied in religion or sects. However, the names Orcus and Set were vaguely familiar as those with evil intentions and followers. Particularly the goat headed, demonic Orcus. Given the nature of the conversation, it appears this Katka is an apprentice mage to a powerful wizard. Apprentice, yet by the title bequeathed suggests one significanly more skilled than himself in the arcane arts. Also, not that it would necessarily mean much difference in the level of imminent danger, the trio are followers of Set.

Outside the tree line they were uncomfortably conspicuous. He holds a finger to his lips and lowers a palm horizontally to the ground, suggesting the others crouch low among the brushwood if they haven't already. He points in the direction where they saw the displacer beast and then at his neck in reference to the bejewelled collar the creature wears. Another gesture towards the trio of humanoids completes the message, suggesting that the beast had indeed been tamed, perhaps by the one named Katka.

He chances a short, low whisper to the group. "We are too exposed here. Make for the treeline and stay as low as possible. We may need a distraction, though."
Jedion357
Strider
Strider

#84 Post by Jedion357 »

While Friar John recognizes the name of Orcus its the refrain, 'that which is dead will never be', that causes him to scowl assuming that it refers to undead which all followers of St. Ygg hate. However, he is mindful of the fact that he should not take precipitous action and endanger everyone. He looks to his companions to judge their intentions.

Friar John has Command as the last prepared prayer for the day. I'm unsure if he could cast is secretly and have one of the trio do something? Perhaps attack the displacer beast?
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#85 Post by Spearmint »

April 29th 1066

Blackened Forest, westward of Helix. Duchy of Aerik.

Continuing west to Crooked Yew Hives.

4.50pm.
Weather: sunshine but cloudy, light breeze.
Conditions: Ben -4hp, Jake -1hp.

The quartet able to sneak up closer to the trio of unknown humanoids, who busy themselves with some strange ritual in the fog. A visage in the mist talking to them before blinking out of existence. The trio seem to give it due reverence and respect, as underlings reporting for duty. What that duty is you cannot tell but the overheard names of two cultic deities, notorious for death and diabolic idioms, does strike a fear into you.

Wisely withdrawing while your presence unnoticed, you retrace your steps, giving St Ygg some praise for the sacrificial deer that was stalked. It could have been you being munched on.

You get back to the wagon. Crabtree has moved it off the trail and the twins had set about camouflaging it. Two-Birds scouting ahead.

You give a little report, uneasy that the humanoids are close and hurry through the forest. The five miles takes a couple of hours, done in silence and watchfulness.

Crooked Yew' Hives.

A small village, sheltered in the lee of a stockade. The shacks of wattle and daub houses, roofed with steeply graded thatch and larger stilted framed communal long houses. Peasant families huddle over campfires, braces of jackrabbit skins or beaver hanging to dry. Some traders work industrially, the potter at his wheel, a carpenter sawing. Others assist with a maypole being erected in the village square. Beyond the village hub, a large dolmen occupies a grassy knoll. Two large upright granite stones and a third as a lintel. Crabtree takes a track leading around it.

People are polite, tolerating the strangers, staring at the group a little but minding their own business as you pass by. There is no sign of any distress or concern that might be warranted should they also have faced the same perils as the loggers.

Beyond the residences you can see spread out in an area of the forest, a dozen or more large sheds and from the buzzing inside can guess these are hives.

Arriving at your destination you are greeted by several folk. Clive, is a druid and organises the harvesting of the forest bee hives. He welcomes you, taking you to a long house where he receives you, interested in your journey and news. "Please, take a drink. The journey long and oft fraught with difficulties." He pours some honeyed mead or water, which is the preference.

actions please. You can each share a snippet of your journey and each ask a question. I will update then with some more information.

If you can all give me a 3d6 vs intel or wisdom then you might ask a question which promotes mire information.

Black forest and red fangs [1d6]=3 [1d6]=5
Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#86 Post by Quonundrum »

Moriartus

Moriartus accepts the honeyed mead with a respectful nod and settles himself into an available chair. He drinks near half of the mug before fetching a new cigar from a pouch and lighting it. A deep sigh follows a long drag of the cigar. "Thank you, Mr. Clive. The mead is most excellent and refreshing ...and you are correct in that we have encountered our own share of difficulties." He motions for the hide of the alpha owlwolf to be spread out in display and indicates the owl head and talons to the druid. "We were attacked by a group of these ... owl wolves? I was hoping you could tell us anything about them? Are they normal fauna for the Blackened Forest? I am familiar with the unnatural owl bear, but I must admit, this beast caught me completely off guard."

Intelligence (17): [3d6]=11
Jedion357
Strider
Strider

#87 Post by Jedion357 »

Wisdom 16-

Friar John drinks a deep gulp of mead then lets out a refreshing sigh,
By the mountain I've missed that!
He then sips and savors the mead mindful to not drink it greedily for politeness sake.
Brother Clive, the loggers were killed and empty husks were left behind do you know what could have done that?
Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#88 Post by Karaunios »

Dougal

Sits silently and drinks some mead. After a while he'll say. "Do ye ken of ony humans or similar living in the forest? We saw some strange looking ones just on wur way here. Frae afae."

Normal Ability Check [3d6]=13 vs INT 14
Gomezthebarbarian
Tracker
Tracker

#89 Post by Gomezthebarbarian »

Barba

The half-orc takes the honeyed mead and takes a place far enough to be by herself yet close enough to listen to the conversation.
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#90 Post by Spearmint »

April 29th 1066

Crooked Yew village, Blackened Forest. West of Helix, Duchy of Aerik.

The hirelings set about a few practical duties, unloading the wagon of the timber and Two-Birds sourcing supplies and fresh arrows from the village.

It leaves you to relax and consult with Druid Clive and his Aspirants juniors.

Moriartus shows the pelt of the Owlwolf to the druid. Expertly peeled as an 'open skin' suitable for drying and then crafting into a rig or cloak. The druid looks dismayed, more so that such a majestic creature might have been hunted buy obviously if they are attacking settlers then slaying them is a natural, though unwanted occurrence. "Certainly I understood 'gain-of-function' experiments and hybrid cleavings where happening in isolated laboratories but I never thought I would see such things. It is an abdominal practice though in truth I see much beauty in this beast. The elvish community in the Thornswild have become more xenophobic in their mad isolationism. I think this may have come from one of their experiments. Their fear of the gods and respect for the nature is sadly lacking.

Then again the fey have a penchant for such riddles of races, half-men and goats or horses."
he says refering to satyrs and centaurs.

Friar John talks next, sharing about the exhumation of the dead loggers and the skin cocoons of those who survived. "Ecdysis. The name given for shedding ones skin though not in the same manner as our furry friend here. Attacked under the full moon. Of course you can link it to lycanthrope lunacy, very naturally but that might coincidental. Needing the light of the moon to see by. I would need to study more into this, see a bitten person or creature and watch what develops to understand more. I don't know if it links to the death of the giant bees. But they have a strange virus which slays them too though none have risen to slink back into the Moor."

Dougal's brogue accent (great, I like it), hard for listeners to comprehend. He asks about the figures in the mist and the name Katka.

"Tall you say, trained beasts accompanying them? A mage or shaman?

I doubt it was one if the lizardfolk, they tend to stick by their waters and here is too far north. There are hobgoblin nomads and bugbearish clans in the near forest. Both proponents of cults and the lure of money and power could easily persuade them to any cause. There are some old troglodyte caves halfway between here and the Merisc that a tribe has taken over. I know little of them but we used to harvest honey bricks from hives inside."

Barba relaxes, listening in, content to just add little details here and there.

The evening wears on. After being received, you are given use of a long house to bunk down. Two-Birds has rustled up a cauldron of fresh stew and breads and a keg of ale to add to your rations. Clive has promised more of a tour of local hives and will fill you in on the problems afflicting the bees in the morning.

actions for evening please, any more questions or scout round the village. Spell users can meditate and study no problem.
Jedion357
Strider
Strider

#91 Post by Jedion357 »

Friar John Brother Clive are there adherents to the faith of St. Ygg here in the village? .....I believe I will do evening vespers and give thanks for another blessed day.

Friar John goes outside and begins the call to prayer as he slowly tours the village square. The sun is waning and any, who wish, can assemble around him. He begins the traditional blessing for the day thanking St. Ygg for all the countless blessings he bestows, then follows that with the sing song chant of evening vespers.

When he finishes he will pause to bless any that have joined in evening vespers with a brief benediction, especially little children.

Afterward, he will fetch clean water and a cloth and look at Ben and Jake's wounds.

When that task is complete he will perform his personal devotions and meditate on cure, bless and command prayer rites for tomorrow.

When that is finished he will get some sleep.
Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#92 Post by Quonundrum »

Moriartus

"Thank you for the accommodations, Brother Clive. It is most welcome after a long day's travel on that uneven trail." Before the druid departs, Moriartus exchanges a few words in private with him.

He checks on Ben and Jake's injuries while Friar John tends to them, remarking on their impressive skill in battle against the pack of owlwolves. He also compliments Two-Birds on the stew and ale, her resourcefulness proving quite valuable, indeed. Partaking on generous quantities of both, for most of the evening he relaxes in the long house in silent contemplation, occasionally puffing on a cigar.

Before retiring to sleep though, he asks the Bennerjake twins to accompany him to the hive buildings for a brief assessment of the area and identifying anything that appears unusual or out of sorts. He doesn't attempt to enter the buildings, just investigating the exteriors and nearby surroundings.
Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#93 Post by Karaunios »

Dougal

Lays back on his chair while listening to Druid Clive's explanations. "It's fu'af possibilities, then. Mony different folks aroond." When the meeting is over, he'll thank the druid and townsfolk nearby for taking them in, then he'll go for a walk around the village, paying attention to whatever is going on in the wilderness around it, but without getting far from its limits. After doing a round, he'll go to bed and try to get a full night sleep.

Do my best with the accent, English not being my first language :lol:
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#94 Post by Spearmint »

April 29th 1066

Crooked Yew village, Blackened Forest. West of Helix, Duchy of Aerik.

Friar John goes to explore the village. He asks regarding the faith in the community. He finds that most follow a more 'pagan' (at least in his ecclesiastical view) faith in Herne. Still a priest in vestments and holding chalice and reading from a liturgy is an unfamiliar sight and he soon gathers a circle of congregants who listen to his words. He can bless the newborn and even counsel some arguing spouses though the polygamist seems to have made his bed, several in fact and is paying the consequences. Not least keeping a trio of mother-in-law's happy.

Chatting your hear these rumours: "Ollis is an inquisitor from Ironguard."
"The humanoids sacrifice to Impurax"
"Leave a blood offering when you explore the Barrow Mounds".

Barba and Dougal make a check around the village. The community are welcoming enough to strangers. You can find a local bowyer to replenish arrows. He tells you, "Valeron the elf is a master artisan but he bewitches people"
"Stolen treasures from the Mounds are all cursed"

Moriartus engages some private conversation with Druid Clive By sunset, the bee activity is quieter, most drones returning to hives to rest. The hives follow a freshwater stream which feeds into the village. You walk along the riverbank, wary as the dark closes in and wondering regarding the humanoids encountered just a few miles away. You don't go too far and are about to turn back when you catch sight of a large bee. (Large being about the length of a sword). It's normally yellow and black toned body has a strange covering of grey. Visually like dandelion flowers in bloom. As it bumbles along between the trees, a number of aggressive bees focus on it and swarm around it, stinging it. The hoary critter is able to struggle free and flies into the forest out of sight. The dozen or so bees that defended their territory fly away too.

I will update thread later with morning time, just checking or rolling for any night time issues ...
Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#95 Post by Quonundrum »

Moriartus

While the unblighted bees attack the intruder, Moriartus would attempt to cast Light on the afflicted bee. If successful, he will watch and track the direction of the illuminated bee's flight, but will not follow. He will then return to their long house and retire for the evening.
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#96 Post by Spearmint »

well you would have to make an attack roll to attach the light spell to an unwilling creature. Though the bee just flies into the forest in a random direction rather than towards a hive.
Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#97 Post by Quonundrum »

Fair enough. It was only if he was in range to do so. Although, I thought Light cast upon a creature doesn't require a to-hit roll, but a saving throw applies? Just checking for future reference.
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#98 Post by Spearmint »

My apologies. I checked my assumption, I must have played it that way before, but yes you are correct, there is no 'to hit' required, just a saving throw and magic resistance if any.

Moriartus can cast the Light spell and watch the creature now blinded as well as stung, stumble its way like a ball in a pinball machine, ricocheting off tree trunks as it zigzags into the forest.

You can collect a few of the spores or fungi knocked off it in a glass vial for study later..
Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#99 Post by Quonundrum »

Spearmint wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:00 am You can collect a few of the spores or fungi knocked off it in a glass vial for study later..
Thanks! Added to inventory.
Gomezthebarbarian
Tracker
Tracker

#100 Post by Gomezthebarbarian »

Barba watches as Moriartus collects the samples. We should ask the Druid about this stuff. He could possibly identify it and tell us where it grows. If not, then maybe there are caves where it grows and the Druid might then help us with his knowledge of the area

Return to “Completed Expeditions”