The Singularity (OOC)

Grognardsw
GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

Re: The Singularity (OOC)

#81 Post by GreyWolfVT »

I'm in a similar situation I paid maybe $40-$50 for my cellphone and I pay about $14 a month for service.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#82 Post by Rex »

Some of my employees pay lots of money for theirs. Seems crazy to me.
GreyWolfVT

#83 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Rex wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:10 pm Some of my employees pay lots of money for theirs. Seems crazy to me.
Oh I agree I've had HS students come to me asking if I can fix their $200 cell phone that they broke the screen on. Plus they pay IDK how much or their parents do for service each month.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#84 Post by Bluehorse »

GreyWolfVT wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:12 pm
Rex wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:10 pm Some of my employees pay lots of money for theirs. Seems crazy to me.
Oh I agree I've had HS students come to me asking if I can fix their $200 cell phone that they broke the screen on. Plus they pay IDK how much or their parents do for service each month.
I see it all the time out here. $200 shoes. $1k phone. Hasn't eaten a real meal in over a week. I don't understand some people.
GreyWolfVT

#85 Post by GreyWolfVT »

I choose food over things. I always make sure my family and myself are fed before I go buying expensive "toys" :) guess there are far too few like myself and Rex. :D

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#86 Post by Grognardsw »

I remember seeing those old walkie-talkie size cell phones around!

Those are some good phone plans you’re on. I pay much more, though it's for a family plan given multiple phones.

Good role playing so far everyone! It's always entertaining to see more player narrative, and inside the heads of the characters. I have sprinkled a few things in amongst the stories that are clues to the eventual coming together of characters. Feel free to read the different threads (except Imladir on Grey/Rex and vice versa, unless you want spoilers ;) )

Now I have to go have a cigerette.
DexterWard
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#87 Post by DexterWard »

Hi All. Finally able to squeeze in a few posts. Been jumping in here and there over the past few days. Still putting in a lot of extra hours, but don't want to get too far behind on gaming. I will make a post when I get another break here in about an hour.

I am defy stoked for this game. A lot of good players and personalities here. Loving all the great characters and player narratives (as Grog said). Hoping I can add some flavor as well. :)

RE: Phones/Cell Phones
Back in the late 90's/early 2k's There were still party lines in rural IL. I was a a central office tech at that time for GTE. I had to service those lines from time to time when I had weekend duty. Even back then I thought it was crazy that kind of service was still in service.

Party Lines
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#88 Post by Rex »

I grew up with a party line so very familiar with them. We had all sorts of rules in my house about what you could and couldn't say on the phone.
GreyWolfVT

#89 Post by GreyWolfVT »

I didn't grow up with a party line but my mom's mother had one with a neighbor. So I know about them and yeah they were different. Try having a phone number that is only 1 digit different from someone else and constantly getting calls for them. My mother's home number was only 1 digit off from a "richer" families number and we often got calls for them. 9998 (us) 9988(them) make growing up interesting before caller ID.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#90 Post by Bluehorse »

I remember having a party line until about 1986ish where I grew up in rural OK. Then we had individual lines come through and we have a 5 digit phone number until I was in High School and moved the next town over.
Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#91 Post by Starbeard »

We never had a party line during my lifetime. In fact eventually we were a step up from the norm: at one point my dad discovered that it would be a lot cheaper to run his business from the garage and install an office line than it was to keep renting an office suite.

Two of the lines were reserved for the business, but we still had two others to make simultaneous calls with, and we could use the business lines after work hours. Whenever I tried calling home I'd reflexively keep calling the poor people whose number was the same as ours but with a 9 in front.
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#92 Post by Grognardsw »

Tales of Telephony Terror :) It seems like there would be some interesting stories in those times of crossed lines, eavesdropping and wrong numbers.
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#93 Post by Rex »

Lots of eavesdropping going on for sure.
GreyWolfVT

#95 Post by GreyWolfVT »

In answer to long ago asked if we are reading the other players games "Yup" I am rather enjoying following Ranger-1's story. Along with all the others including the one I was not supposed to (couldn't help myself.)

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#96 Post by Grognardsw »

Grey the only thing you can’t resist is temptation ;) as one of my favorite 19th century writers liked to say.

As the stories progress clues will be woven in that a close reader may find point toward the eventual merging of story lines.

Please welcome BackworldTraveler to the table! He’ll be in his own story thread.

There is another who’ll be joining us, but I won’t say yet as he’ll be popping in as a surprise to someone’s story.
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#98 Post by Rex »

Welcome Aboard BackworldTraveler!
GreyWolfVT

#99 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Welcome aboard to both :)

Return to “X Minus One (Gamma World 2e)”