Re: Expedition - Lars/Finger of Doom - 19 March, 1 VC

#621 Post by Zhym »

I think we agreed on south before.
Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#622 Post by Zorroroaster »

Of course, you are right. I think even though I'm trying not to, I'm letting player knowledge get in the way and shouldn't. Thanks for calling me on it!

Yeah, let's get going. South it is!
()==[:::::::::::::>
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-Nai Tnam, Dwarven Cleric-[] Lair of the Black Druid - OSRIC
[]-Bronn Arnulfsen, Half-Orc Fighter-[] Valnwall, The Barrowmaze (LL)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#623 Post by Keehnelf »

March 29, 1 VC - 10:00pm

The duo get Naila out of the tower and then head southward. Before long, they catch sight of what appears to be a relatively well-worn path made by booted feet moving through the area. A bit of inspection reveals them to be a mix of human and demi-human tracks, and they take it as a sign that they are on the right path. The track curves a bit more southeasterly than their first inclination, but following a hunch they trace the track toward the distant mountains.

Near mid-day, they catch sight of another set of tracks crisscrossing this one: apparently a large mixed group of small humanoids and animals has recently moved through this area, heading west. There is no sign of the group in sight, so they continue onward as quickly as possible.

Very soon before sunset, they catch sight of Vaul in the distance, the recognizable peak of the Wooden Keep rising above the outer wall. It will take some travel after dark, but with Naila in as critical condition as she is, there is no choice but to press their pace to avoid another full night and partial day on the trail.

Just after dark, they are rounding a rise of land and catch sight of a massive band of creatures off in the distance to the west, perhaps a dozen and a half strong. A goodly number appear to be wolf-mounted goblins, and they fly a variety of pennants from raised lances. The creatures are several hundred yards distant, and could easily overwhelm the duo, but they do not approach, choosing instead to watch the two as they struggle with the body of their companion across the uneven ground toward their final destination.

When the pair finally makes it within the gate to the city and it locks behind them for the night, they heave a sigh of relief that seems to echo from the mountains to the south.

This expedition is at an end. I will make a post in a few minutes with loot recovered and the group's rewards!

Naila loses another 2 HP that night, ending her trip at -9. Close call!

Please deduct one night's lodging cost apiece (Naila needs to be in a private room in her condition) and I will move you all to March 30.
Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#624 Post by Keehnelf »

Rewards:

128 gold pieces from various encounters (128xp)
1 dwarf-make shortsword (14xp)
24 small gemstones from the cave (480xp)
1 shield (1000xp)
1 Arrow of Beast Slaying (100xp)
1 lock of witch hair (50xp)
3 gemstones from the witch's tree (150xp)
187gp, 18sp, 19cp from Lars' body (0xp)

Discovered east entrance to the Finger of Doom (400xp)
Recovered suitable obsidian (100xp)
Discovered the hidden spider lair and pool (100xp)
Defeated 12 giant crab spiders (456xp)
Defeated 1 giant water spider (135xp)
Defeated 4 goblins (20xp)
Defeated 1 wolf (35xp)
Discovered clue to area with skull "warnings" (150xp)
Discovered "witch's grove" (200xp)
Defeated 2 dire wolves (280xp)
Defeated 1 witch (29xp)

Totals: 3,827xp, divided among three surviving characters makes 1,276xp per character before prime requisite bonuses.
Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#625 Post by Keehnelf »

Oh, and add 100gp (0xp) to the rewards for turning a good chunk of obsidian in to the shopkeeper.

Return to “History - Completed Expeditions”