Quest #23 "Even The Jungle Wanted Them Dead"

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Quest #23 "Even The Jungle Wanted Them Dead"

#62 Post by Jernau35 »

Wes

Wes replies to Monocar's question about tricking or trapping the dwarves. "The stones actually turned into dwarves, believe it or not".
OGRE MAGE wrote:Hunting Up The Loggers Trail
Freeday, 5th of Goodmonth
Afternoon, Hot, Humid, Buggy

Wes let’s the others know that there were indeed dwarf sightings in town, and none of them ended friendly. He believes that the group must have stumbled upon the rumored hidden mine that’s running rampant all about the town.

Looking around the area of the stones, no traps are found. Looking down the trail reveals nothing but normal terrain. However, as soon as the druid steps one foot towards the trail, regardless of where he starts, the closest standing stone begins to shimmer and phase out. After a second, a gnarly looking, heavily armored dwarf is standing directly where the stone once was. He shakes his head back and forth violently and grumbles. “I’ll never get used to that part!”

The mean looking dwarf hefts a huge maul over his shoulder as he turns towards your group. He spits and curses as he shouts at you, tromping in your direction.

“Abbathor be damned! Another buncha tree huggin pointies that canna heed a simple warnin? Get the hells outta here before I hafta wake me brothers up an kick all tree a yer arses!”

He continues towards your group with a clear intention of doing you harm if you don’t back away from the trail.
"Remember, we're here to track down the evil cleric. Messing around with those stones is only going to get us into an unnecessary fight".
Chance of being Suprised: 33%
Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#63 Post by Urson »

Luther
Monocar, you may not have the best iideas, but you have the most interesting.
Does anyone know enough runes to leave a note? Something to suggest we'd like an alliance?
FA FO
Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#64 Post by Karaunios »

Galanthas the Wise

"I don't know. Better leave these alone for the time being. Let's focus on our task at hand, lest we don't stay true to our words and spill blood before the important battle. These stones will presumably stay here next week. Just don't try to go pass them." the elf says with a grave countenance.
SpinwardMarch
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#65 Post by SpinwardMarch »

Brother Gilbert

I will not bother them. Is there a way to go around them?

I will update my character sheet tomorrow. I am trying to function around coughing from bronchitis.
SpinwardMarch
SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#66 Post by SirOwen »

Avaala the Grey

Avaala nods to what he considers Wes' uncommonly good common sense. "Perhaps there is something akin to magical 'trip wire' at work here. We might need to do no more than go around the stones instead of between them. I should be able to detect such a thing. Shall I detect for it? And keep in mind that, although a rare precaution, just detecting for the magic might also set it off, if there is something to be set off."
"There is no spoon."
SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#67 Post by SirOwen »

Jaxsen Reiter

Hearing the mage's words about trip wires between the standing stones, Jaxsen actually looks into the weeds off the path and going around the standing stones, to see if anyone has been doing just that.
"There is no spoon."
ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#68 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Chauncey ponders the stones, fascinated, wondering whether the effect described is arrived at by conjurational magic or whether it is transmutational. Mr. Wrenly scratches his chin and looks thoughtful.

“Well, let’s not stand around like bumps on logs, Wesley. Shall find a way around? Avalaa, your magical detection would be well used here, in my opinion. I shall consider this a future problem to be solved by magical means. I, for one, won’t have temperamental dwarves hampering my travel about the island long term,” he says.
SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#69 Post by SirOwen »

Avaala the Grey

Nodding to Chauncey, Avaala casts his Detect Magic. He inspects the standing stones themselves and the spaces between and immediately around them. He is careful not to get between any two of them.
"There is no spoon."
Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#70 Post by Jernau35 »

Wes

"I don't believe we need to go this way at all", Wes replies. "According to your information, the priest we seek is beyond the end of the logging trail, which is that way". He points north. "This trail goes west. It's the trail we followed on our first trip out here.".

"Disturbing those stones is only going to bring us trouble we don't need to find. They'll be there on another day".
Chance of being Suprised: 33%
SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#71 Post by SirOwen »

Does Wes' comment about which trail is which come in time to stop Avaala from casting the Detect Magic?
"There is no spoon."
ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#73 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Bluehorse wrote:Monocar

Still stuck on the idea of the stones. Hey! Chauncey... what if you drew a hole around the stones with your crayon?
“Frankly, I love your thought process, Monocar. However, drawing the hole would require approaching the stone, which, as I understand, would activate it,” Chauncey replies.
Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#74 Post by Karaunios »

Galanthas the Wise

The elf just begins to lose his patience and makes it noticeable in his voice: "This is not why we came here. The path we're to take leads to the north, while this one doesn't, so let's just continue our trip, ok?" He starts walking slowly up the trail northwards.
Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#75 Post by Bluehorse »

Monocar
ChubbyPixie wrote:
Bluehorse wrote:Monocar

Still stuck on the idea of the stones. Hey! Chauncey... what if you drew a hole around the stones with your crayon?
“Frankly, I love your thought process, Monocar. However, drawing the hole would require approaching the stone, which, as I understand, would activate it,” Chauncey replies.
Grinning still as he enjoys picking Chauncy's brain in his own baffonish way as he catches the hint from Galanthas and joins him walking up the trail. But what if you were far enough away when you walked the parimeter? At some point you are not approaching the stones, right? So it would just be a really big hole. And if you wanted to get the dwarves... you could save the last part in front of the stones... approach them... then finish it as they appeared. Just think of the look on their faces!

He does a TERRIBLE impersonation of a dwarf... like when someone tries to do a scottish accent and halfway sounds like a german trying to speak turkish. Hey! What the blimey are you.... uh oh.... YIKES! and he makes some motions like someone falling down a hole in a cartoonish way. before laughing.
SpinwardMarch
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#76 Post by SpinwardMarch »

Brother Gilbert

Excuse me, good people. Let us follow our friend Galanthas, who seems to know the proper direction. He follows the elf.

To himself:Oh, no, not a another bunch of arguing goofballs.
SpinwardMarch
SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#77 Post by SirOwen »

I'm having to wait. Either for OM to tell me what Avaala's Detect Magic discovered, or to tell me that Avaala didn't cast it after all.
"There is no spoon."
SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#78 Post by SirOwen »

Jaxsen Reiter

Jaxsen stands up and follows Wes, taking his position in the marching order heading north.
"There is no spoon."
ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#79 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Oh, whoops. I was thinking the stone posts were described as straddling the main path where it intersects the side path, and that we’d have to circumvent it somehow. My bad.
Chauncey follows after the northward heading group as soon as the Avalaa’s Detect Magic results are in. He calls after Monocar:“That would be a waste of valuable Guild resources, Monocar! What have I, the greatest wizard on the island, to fear from a few magically appearing dwarves? I could deal with them in any number of less elaborate and wasteful ways.” He snaps his fingers dramatically, then looks thoughtful. “Besides, I am not entirely positive the crayon could be used to draw a lack of something. Avalaa, let us make a mental note to investigate this potential...”
SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#80 Post by SirOwen »

Avaala the Grey

Avaala is immediately drawn into the question."I would say it's a matter of transmutation,"he says to Chauncey. "When we draw a more... solid... item, we are turning the air in that location into the object. Wouldn't this be the opposite? Turning whatever is there into air? I think we could draw a hole and make it come into existence."
"There is no spoon."

Return to “Completed Missions”