0. Prelude

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Re: 0. Prelude

#61 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Sparrow snaps a small leather pouch from around the neck of the fallen creature.

He had some pearls on him. Who will carry them?

When he sees there may still be danger in the room, Sparrow creeps towards the motionless figures in between the north wall and the casket.
onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#62 Post by onlyme »

Fulp will go and check on the human first, to confirm that the smell does in fact mean that death has already occurred.

If he is indeed dead, friends, I must agree as well. We need to alert the town. Taking his stuff would be a death wish if someone comes upon you.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#63 Post by spanningtree »

Madrevin will inspect the human, looking for any indication of alliance or religion. Odd indeed...
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#64 Post by dmw71 »

Festus retrieves his crossbow and takes up a guard position at the entrance to the open tomb, content to let the rest see to the other bodies discovered.

Sparrow snaps a small leather pouch from around the neck of the fallen hyena-like humanoid. "It had some pearls on it," he starts. "Who will carry them?" he asks before being made aware of the new bodies, so he rushes over to join Fulp, Madrevin and Sylvan who, after all attempts to hail the fallen human were unsuccessful, have already moved to examine the bodies.

A pool of blood spilling from the mouth of the human, an elderly male, is evidence to the fact that he is deceased. A dent in his helm suggests he fell victim to some blunt force trauma to his head. A blood coated long sword lies just beyond his grasp. A bouquet of native wild flowers wrapped in ribbon and a small pack are near his body as well. As for the hyena, several visible gashes cutting through its pelt also speak to its demise.

Further back in the burial vault, Eohannud looks to the candelabra before joining Ciar in examining the coffins. The halfling is seen climbing up the side of the open coffin in order to get a view of its contents.
-- DM --
Simple Idea, Zero Prep (OSRIC)

-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
(Status: Archived)

-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#65 Post by Alethan »

Ciar quickly hops down and says, "It's just a woman. Looks like her name was Marjorie." He points to the name carved in he coffin.

He examines the other coffin to see if it, too, has a name.

"Pearls did you say? Look... I ain't no grave robber. You think those might have come from the woman here?"
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#66 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Sparrow

Yes. Pearls. But not on a string like a woman's necklace. Loose, like gems, see? Sparrow shows the Halfling and anyone else who wants to look.

He then picks up the flowers and inspects them before laying them on the coffin.

I don't rob graves. But I have no problem taking the spoils from a fair fight.
AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#67 Post by AleBelly »

Sylvan examines the mouth of the hyena, looking for blood or pieces of flesh.

"So, what do you think happened here? An old man visiting the grave of his wife, and is attacked by this vile humanoid and his captive hyena? Hard for me to believe there's only one of each about. Be ready, gents."
hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#68 Post by hedgeknight »

Festus listens to the banter of his companions while keeping watch to the outside...he takes a swig from his waterskin and wonders if there is someplace around close to take a piss. He'd meant to do so when they reached the summit of the hill, but then he saw the wall and from there the tomb. Now that the immediate danger has subsided...
Winter is coming...
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#69 Post by Alethan »

"Ah, that's different, then," Ciar agrees."Happy to hold them, if you don't want to..."
Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#70 Post by Starbeard »

'It would be unusual for a man to visit the grave of his wife dressed in full arms, unless the people here are strange as a matter of custom.'

Eohannud moves over to the dead man and examines the corpse closely, taking great care not to soil his own clothes.

He catches the back-and-forth about the pearls from the corner of his attention. 'Let some other at the pearls. I have no use for them, unless there are enough to replace these worn buttons on my jack—how many do you count?'
AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#71 Post by AleBelly »

Starbeard wrote:'It would be unusual for a man to visit the grave of his wife dressed in full arms, unless the people here are strange as a matter of custom.'
"T'would be odd if her grave were in town, but this doesn't appear to be a safe area. If he was expecting trouble out here in an isolated place, armor and weapons make sense" counters Sylvan.
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#72 Post by OGRE MAGE »

There are five total. One white and four pink. Have a look.

Sparrow pours out the pearls in his palm for the others to inspect if they like.

These come from the sea you know.

He will give the bag to anyone that wants to grab them.
spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#73 Post by spanningtree »

Madrevin will search the fallen warriors pack. Did he pack for a long journey... he will say more to himself than anyone else.
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#74 Post by Alethan »

Ciar readily accepts the pouch with the pearls in it.

He pours them into his hand and eyes them closely.
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#75 Post by dmw71 »

Sylvan move to examine the hyena while Eohannud and Fulp inspect the elderly man. Madrevin inspects the man's pack while Sparrow hands Ciar the pouch with the gems retrieved from around the neck of the humanoid creature killed by Festus moments earlier. Speaking of the which, the dwarf, outside the burial vault, finds as good a place as any to relieve himself.

There are no sights or sounds of anyone or anything else approaching the vault.

---

The above is obviously just an overview of the current situation. I will wait for replies to the few posts made in private to different players before advancing the group any further. In the meantime, feel free to continue to ask questions of me or your fellow players, take further actions, etc...
-- DM --
Simple Idea, Zero Prep (OSRIC)

-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)

-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#76 Post by Starbeard »

Eohannud calls out across the room, 'Five pearls of varying colour? Bah—I would require six of a kind to replace these ebony buttons. You may take them. If you desire treasure for its own sake, that platinum candelabra will fill your coffers or square your dining table—I find it garish.'

He turns to Fulp. 'The victim appears to have been of meagre means, but I sense something extraordinary in his armour. Are you knowledgable on such things, does his armour look to be of fine quality?'
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#77 Post by Alethan »

Ciar takes a moment to examine the stones.

"Well... One of them is a pearl. The other four are not pearls; more likely star quartz. Three of them are of excellent quality, as is the pearl, but one of the quartz pieces has a bit of a flaw to it. Still, they might fetch us a bit of coin..."

He pours the stones back in their pouch and puts the pouch into his small belt pouch.
hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#78 Post by hedgeknight »

"Are ya truly going to pilfer the dead warrior? Without knowing how he came ta be here?" Festus asks after listening to the conversation. He sighs and shakes his head.
"It's time we be moving on into town; tell the folk what we found here. Maybe they can give us some answers."
Winter is coming...
Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#79 Post by Starbeard »

Eohannud is bemused by Festus' remark. 'What use would I have in pilfering a dead man's arms, dwarf? I am considering this man's station only. He looks to have been made of rough stuff, but his armour produces a mystery. I wonder if he knew of its specialness—if he did, then he was a capable man indeed, which makes his death at the hands of a mere beast-man all the more peculiar. By his appearance I do not think he was important in society, so I doubt we have much to fear by taking our tale to whomever lives in these parts. You have right: let us find a local and inform them of recent events.'
AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#80 Post by AleBelly »

"The hyena has no flesh in its mouth. It did not feast on this man, but the wounds were likely from his sword, so I doubt it was his companion" muses Sylvan.

"A platinum candelabra, you say? That must be quite valuable."

"Heading to town seems like the next logical step, but I'd prefer not to stay there too long. Now, if you'll excuse me, I must escape the stench of rotting death." Sylvan leaves, taking up a position about 15' away from the entrance.

Return to “Dave's 2E Sandbox”