Action thread 1 - the departing

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Action thread 1 - the departing

#61 Post by Argennian »

As soon as the tussle starts with Van and Rosin, Yosef looks sidelong to the elves, especially the two he's sitting with, Drinard and Corinard, to try and gauge their reaction. He turns his eyes back towards Van and lets go a harrumph, developing a slight frown. He then turns to the two closest elves, rolls his eyes slightly and offers his opinion of the matter with a quirky smile, in elvish.

"Apologies, cousins. It would appear these two seem to dwell upon a previous disagreement of some sort. So unnecessary and tiresome. Most unprofessional, indeed..."

Yosef stands as the elven hunting party gathers. He tries to catch even a tidbit of the guarded whispers that are passed, without appearing obvious. When Till, acting strangely, offers up something Yosef knows never happened, the elf fighter/mage will shake his head and roll his eyes, feigning a combination of boredom and impatience, and casually move off and away about a dozen and a half or so paces, mumbling something in common to the effect of, "Not enough daylight to have the hired help acting as such in front of our newly met friends!"

Yosef, now mumbling incoherently as if answering himself, stops and puts his hands on his hips in a look of resignation. He then casually turns to the elves and shrugs, with an apologetic look upon his visage. Although he's not sure what is going on, he'll stay alert and keep an eye on Rynard and the other elve's reaction to Till's actions!
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#62 Post by rredmond »

The elves gather up quickly, nodding at you all as they leave, though Yosef gets a quick smile from Corinard. They pick up their things in an almost unorganized manner, though they leave in concert. Heading northward up the pass. Rhinard trails them, but Rynard stops, and no surprise, turns to talk, and says laughing "your human is right, you shouldn't trust anything met in this pass..." he starts to continue, but Rhinard, who stopped as the others continued yells out in Elvish so only Yosef understands "shut your mouth Rhin, we go now" Rhinard looks at his brother looks back at you all and says "till we meet again!" and heads off toward the rest.

The main group of elves have stopped to wait for their leaders, and seem to now be fussing with their equipment, helping each other sort out quivers and packs.They're about 20 yards north of you, Rhinard is a little closer, but has turned and is walking to join them. Rynard hurries to join the group. It's about 1pm, maybe a little after in the afternoon. Still cloudy, but not gray, maybe just a wee bit chillier than yesterday at this point.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#63 Post by ToniXX »

Bruard bids the departing elves adieu then collects up his rations and puts them back into his pack. He continues to keep one eye on the elven group, and one on Van and the other hired help.
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#64 Post by Argennian »

As the elves quickly gather their things and begin to walk away, Yosef simply nods and waves awkwardly, not understanding their quick departure. He turns to Till and shrugs, in an obvious conundrum as to what is going on.

When he hears the one brother tell the other to shut it, in elven, he makes his way casually back over to where his companions are, looking back every now and again at the elves. Once he is standing among them, he shrugs again.

"Apologies for my ignorance, I seem to be at a loss here. What just happened?"
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#65 Post by Alethan »

Till nods at Van and says, "I think Van caught them signaling, either to each other or to other elves outside the camp. Let's keep our wits about us from here on out. Chances are good anyone we run across is going to have ulterior motives."
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

migellito
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#66 Post by migellito »

Jeloon smiles at Van "good work." She watches the elves as they leave, but swaps the shield in her hand for the bow on her back. "I think it might be wise for us to start moving now, if everyone's ready. If they don't mean us harm, they may have noticed something here that does."

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#67 Post by Argennian »

Yosef nods to Jeloon, pulls his hood loosely back over his helm, and begins to look about their perimeter, casually unslinging his bow and getting an arrow to hand, but not nocking it.

Yosef quickly relays what Rhinard said in elven to his brother, Rynard.
"It would appear that one of those brothers thinks his brother a bit loose of lip, as well. Your warnings are prudent and wise, master Till."

Yosef will keep an eye on the elven hunting party as they head off into the distance. He will make sure to watch them carefully until he is sure they are out of bowshot. Once they are, he'll move back to his normal spot, watching the rear and both sides higher up.

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#68 Post by rredmond »

The elves are making the same movements as Jeloon and Yosef, except they are nocking arrows as well. Catching no one by surprise as you are all watching them and Van says in a forced voice, loud enough for all to hear but not carry, "arrows!" He then hoists shield and spear, preparing another spear.
"Here's the thing," says Rynard turning at about 55 feet away, a few feet in front of the now armed elves, "we also hunt treasure, and you don't have the missile power that we do, so we'll need you to kindly leave your coin and jewelry right there, and then back away down the pass. Then you do not have to worry about us any more. Just to put your mind at ease, we've identified the targets who'll be shot first, but have no fear, we'll kill you all if you resist - and then take everything you have." Rynard finishes by flashing a big smile, the other four elves bring bows to bear.

Essentially there is no surprise at play here. Yosef, Van and Jeloon are weapon ready; but everyone can quickly be so. Even Eyman is fully aware of what's going on and Rosin and Ancor haven't moved from behind with the DAMs. If you are going to fight then I need an action from each of you, then someone can roll initiative. I'll make the initiative roll for the elves (which will be adjusted downward for Yosef, due to his dexterity bonus if he's using the bow). Actions?
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#69 Post by Alethan »

Give me a second here, before anyone replies...

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#70 Post by Alethan »

Not taking his eyes off the elves, Till whispers, "Yosef... You. Have. The. Wrong. Stick. Out."

Then Till laughs heartily, tilting his head back just a bit with the gesture, not taking his eyes off the elves, and takes a few steps forward.

"It must have been a trick of the mid-day SUN, my fiendish pointy-eared friends! For a second there, you sounded like your dark-skinned cousins, with talk of treasure and gold. Yes, I'd say the HEAT of the afternoon must have FRIED my head! You look like fine, honorable elves, after all! But it was just a mirage, a bit of HOT air, wasn't it?"

He pulls at his chin with his thumb and forefinger, as if considering something.

"Yes, yes... you've stepped just far enough away, and I thank you for that! But it seems a shame for all of that elvish labor to go up in smoke... Did it really take one elf a whole year to make each arrow?" He shakes his head, "I'd say that's about 100 years worth of work, am I right? Soon to be nothing but tinder... what a shame."

Then the smile leaves his face entirely.

"There is a price to be paid for being a leader of deceitful goblins, Rynard. I shall take your payment, myself, if there is anything left of you..."

With that, he casually pulls his sling and a bullet out from his belt pouch, not trying to hide it, but trying to draw the elves' attention. He holds the bullet up in the air between thumb and forefinger and mutters, "Whenever you're ready, Yosef..." Then he says more loudly, "Look... this one has your name on it, Rynard."

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#71 Post by Alethan »

migellito
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#72 Post by migellito »

As Till speaks, Jeloon whispers "well, they're too close together for me to charge the leader.. but that's fine." Staying down on one knee, Jeloon fires her bow at Rynard as soon as Till holds up the stone.

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#73 Post by ToniXX »

"Ahhh some action, friends," says Bruard, loud enough for the elves to hear him. He raises his shield in his left hand and puts his right hand in a breast pocket where he keeps his holy symbol. He will hold ground this round, as he has no ranged attacks.
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#74 Post by Argennian »

When Yosef sees the elven hunting party turn on them and draw arrows, he's prepared for the rouse. As Rynard begins his arrogant proclamation, Yosef, with a feigned look of astonishment upon his visage, makes a fluid motion simultaneously with both his hands. He raises his bow and the held arrow he had in his left hand, as if in a manner of surrender and submission, but with his right hand, draws the Wand of Fire from its belt location.

As soon as Till finishes his retort, Yosef's visage turns most angry and business-like as he levels the wand at Rynard and his companions and yells in a loud and forceful voice not usual for the mostly mild-mannered elf. "This is a Wand of Fire, Rynard! Drop your weapons and surrender NOW or I will be forced to destroy you all! I'll not ask again! DROP YOUR WEAPONS!!"

If Rynard or any of the other elves so much as twitch wrong or loose any arrows, Yosef will shoot a fireball at them, using 2 of the remaining 4 charges in the wand!

OOC: Details on the Wand of Fire, as well as the Fireball spell, directly from the OSRIC rules:

Wand of Fire (pg 323) 4 chargesThis wand produces several spell-like effects; may only produce one effect per round. The following effects = 1 charge: Burning Hands shoots forth a triangular cone of fire 12 ft long with a 10 ft ending width. It takes 1 segment for this effect to manifest, and it lasts but a moment. Any being within this AOE suffers 6 hp damage. Pyrotechnics may also be produced from the wand, and take 2 segments to appear. The following effects = 2 charges: a Fireball may be shot from the wand, performing exactly spell of same name, as cast from 6th level character. It deals 6d6 hp damage to all within the AOE; save vs wands for half damage (any result of 1 on a damage die is treated as a 2). A Wall of Fire may be produced in 3 segments, like the spell of the same name cast from a 6th level character. The wall may be formed into a 22 ft diameter circle surrounding the wand wielder. This wand is rechargeable.

Fireball
Arcane Evocation
level: Magic user 3
Range: 100 ft + 10 ft/ level
duration: Instantaneous
area of effect: 20 ft radius sphere
components: V,S,M
casting time: 3 segments
Saving throw: Half

With a pointing gesture at the ending of the incantation, the
magic user causes a massive explosion of magical fire at the
target point. The fireball detonates with a low roar, causing
1d6 damage per caster level to all creatures within the area
of effect. Creatures making successful saving throws suffer
only half the indicated damage. When the magic user casts
the spell, a bead of light streaks from his or her pointed finger
to the target area, and if it strikes another object directly in
its path the fireball will detonate immediately. The blast fills
the entire volume of the spell radius, and if it is cast into an
enclosed area smaller than the area of effect the flames will
expand from this area until the spell’s full volume has been
reached. The volume of a 20 ft radius sphere is approximately
33,500 cubic ft, and there are 1,000 cubic ft in a 10 x 10 x 10 ft
area, so in an area with a 10 ft ceiling the fireball will fill approximately
thirty-three 10 x 10 ft squares. Thus, if a fireball
explodes in the middle of a corridor 10 ft wide and 10 ft high,
the blast will extend a staggering 165 ft in both directions. It is
quite possible, particularly in dungeoneering environments,
for the magic user to be caught in the back blast of his or her
own fireball spell. The flames do not create any significant
change in air pressure, but the furnace-like heat causes all
items in the blast to make saving throws against magical fire
or ignite (or, in the case of metals, melt).

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#75 Post by rredmond »

Van is throwing his spear as is Eyman about a segment later as Rynard laughs, says "shoot them" bringing his own bow up.

Initiative for elves: [1d6] = 5

Order of actions:

2- Till's sling attack
4- 4 elves loose their first arrows
5- Jeloon looses her first arrow; Van throws spear
6- Rynard looses his first arrow; Eyman throws spear.
8- Magical fire shoots out of Yosef's wand, it'll expand to catch them all, roll 6d6, I'll let you know who's still standing
9- 5 elves loose their second arrows (maybe)
10- Jeloon looses her second arrow

Everyone roll attacks, damage and 1d5 for a random elf. I'll resolve after I get the rolls.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#76 Post by Alethan »

Till's Rolls:

To Hit, Sling [1d20+6] = 13+6 = 19

(Forgot the distance mod.) If no modifier, that hits AC 0; with -2 modifier, that hits AC 2

Damage, Sling (Small/Medium) [1d4+1] = 3+1 = 4

Random Elf [1d5] = 5

(Yes! A Crit on the random elf roll!)
Last edited by Alethan on Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

migellito
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#77 Post by migellito »

First shot:
[1d20] = 16
AC 1, AC 3 for past 50 feet. Not sure if that range modifier should be measured in yards outside. If so, I hit AC 1.
[1d6] = 5 damage.
[1d5] = 4 target.

Second shot:
[1d20] = 6
AC 11, AC 13 if med. range. Undoubtedly a miss.
[1d6] = 2
[1d5] = 2

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#78 Post by rredmond »

First couple of segments:

Till stone cracks Terenard right under the ear with a telling blow, though he maintains focus and aim.
Almost at the same time the four elves launch their arrows:
--Drinard: TH [1d20+1] = 6+1 = 7 Dam [1d6] = 2 Target [1d6] = 6 Yosef miss
--Rhinard: TH [1d20+2] = 17+2 = 19 Dam [1d6+1] = 5+1 = 6 Target [1d6] = 4 Eyman hit, the arrow finds an uprotected spot between pants and shirt, embedding itself in his gut, he falls to the ground unmoving except for the red stain on the rocks that continues to expand
--Corinard: TH [1d20+1] = 9+1 = 10 Dam [1d6] = 2 Target [1d5] = 1 Till miss
--Terenard: TH [1d20+1] = 7+1 = 8 Dam [1d6] = 2 Target [1d5] = 1 Till miss

at this point I lost everything, but remember the outcomes

Jeloon, hearing arrows fly past, but bolstered by the fact that none came close, looses her first arrow and catches Corinard in the same spot that Eyman was hit. Her arrow goes completely through, and though he takes a couple steps back, and has to shake his head, he still manages to bring another arrow up to his bow.

Van heaves his spear, but the range being a bit far for him, he misses with the throw, quickly picking the second spear up off the ground.

Rynard, smiling smarmily, let's loose his black arrow, which misses completed (roll was a 4, 2+2) and the party can hear his curses.

Eyman continues to bleed.

Once Argennian comes to us with the damage, I'll resolve this round of combat, hopefully it won't be elves on a stick for all.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#79 Post by Argennian »

Yosef's attack with a Fireball, fired from the Wand of Fire:

Fireball damage: 6d6 (any 1's treated as a 2):

2 + 6 + 2 + 2 + 3 + 6 = 21 damage (save for half damage)

http://www.unseenservant.com/Default.as ... ne&id=1803

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#80 Post by rredmond »

The elves and most of their equipment are burnt to ashes. There is a glint of metal at the spot where you guess the belt of Rynard was, but pretty much everything else is destroyed. Including the two black arrows :( one imbedded in Eyman has snapped, and the one missed shattered on the stone ground.

Quick check of the area (once it cooled down enough) shows that there is a shiny, unmarred, long sword, and some gold pieces melted into the ground.

Van tends Eyman to stop his bleeding. Bruard is pretty sure Eyman will need some decent healing (at -2 hps) as well as a lot of rest before he will be effective. Rosin and Ancor peek their heads out looking to ensure it's safe.

Return to “Legacy of the Unknown - Pacesetter Games Playtest (OSRIC module)”