Chapter 2: You woke up where exactly?

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 2: You woke up where exactly?

#61 Post by Rukellian »

The guards look at each other for a moment and then switch their attention to the rolling head and the group with the captive. Their faces light up upon hearing Deceidon's message and they both lower their weapons. "You fellows are the real deal, aren't ya?," one of the guard says with some excitement. "It's been forever since anyone has been able to do anything about those bandits! Shame though to hear about your situation, the mayor can certainly tell you more, but I think we can all say that we've been in the same boat some time ago."

"Indeed," adds in the other guard. "Seeing such capable adventurers, we just might have a chance to take care of the bandit problem once and for all!" No sooner did the guards finish talking, the doors behind them open inwards, and the young boy comes back with a well-rounded man in fancy blue clothes. He clears his throat and welcomes the group inside. "Please, please, do come in!" He waves a couple of guards behind him to take Lump away, and raises another arm to the town. "If you would all follow me, I can get you all to a nice Inn and we can talk plenty with drink and food, sound good?"
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge
onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#62 Post by onlyme »

Whitsell nods, Sounds good to me...
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#63 Post by Grognardsw »

Deceidon / entering the town

“Thank you sir,” says Deceidon. He gathers the head back into the sack, murmuring “Two heads are better than one.”

He follows his comrades and the plump man into town and tavern. While walking he notes the make up the townsfolk – their general ages, sex, profession type, weapons, etc. to see if there are any trends in type of folk who are stuck in this strange forest.
Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#64 Post by Rukellian »

Here is a reference picture of what the town looks like, roughly.
village scene.jpg
village scene.jpg (116.33 KiB) Viewed 466 times
From what Deceidon could gather, the majority of the townsfolk appear to be natives of Kinra, probably hailing from one of the many cities and towns of Dathan. There are also a spattering of elves and half-orcs as well, very surprising considering the tolerance level of humans towards other races. Almost everyone has a tanned skin tone though, a lack of hygiene is also present. Most of the clothing worn can be categorized as peasantry and regular citizen's attire. While walking through the dirt roads, navigating through surprisingly well-made buildings, the adventuring group notices many a number of professions held here, but the most common one is that of agriculture/farmwork. There are very few, if not any, guards present, a local militia of roughly 10 maybe?
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge
onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#65 Post by onlyme »

Whitsell feels a little homesick at the moment, seeing all the farming being done. The village looks very much like the one he grew up in.

As they walk, he will compliment various folks for their nice gardens, trying to be polite while hinting that he knows a few things about agriculture as well.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#66 Post by Rukellian »

The round man in fancy blue clothing, brings you to a large building in the center of the town, what most can only guess to be an Inn or tavern. When the doors open, music and cheery noise can be heard mixed in with scents of food and the warmth of a crackling fire. "Welcome to the heart of our community, the Dunnet settlement! Please, why don't you all grab a table and I will join shortly. Feel free to ask for anything that catches your fancy." Upon noticing the pulling out of coin, the person quickly shakes his head no and gestures with his hands that it is not necessary. "We try not to bother with coin these days. I know it may seem strange to you, among other things that may have happened already, but I assure you that I will do my best to help answer some, if not most of your questions," the round man finishes readily. As the group heads inside, the round man turns his attention to a middle-aged man behind a counter. The conversation is brief and is finished with a nod as the man heads into the kitchens.

The round man returns to the group after they have settled down and found a table. "Pardon me for not introducing myself properly. My name is Wessiwiser, mayor of the Dunnet Community!"
tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#67 Post by tooleychris »

"Your hospitality is well received, Wessiwiser, and most welcome compared to our initial greeting to this...strange territory. A bit of wine and history would serve my palette well, if you will? "
onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#68 Post by onlyme »

Whitsell likewise replies with a friendly response.

Name's Whitsell, good man, pleasure to meet you. A drink and some food would be most welcome, while we hear of our current situation.

NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#69 Post by NJWilliam »

Gustov

Gustov politely offers a few words of thanks for the hospitality and takes what he hopes is an out of the way seat to the side while he lets his companions do the talking.
Sebastian, A Candle in the Darkness
Ulrich, Tales of The Troll Company
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers
Hakon Geirmundarson, Pawns of the North Wind
Jameson Rowan, Silverband
Disston Symonds, Sigma Chronos
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#70 Post by Grognardsw »

Deceidon / Dunnet tavern

"Could you please dispose of this bag?" Deceidon asks the bartender, handing him the sack with the head. The sack is by now is moist, pungent, occasionally dripping blood, and attracting flies.

Deceidon sits with the group. He then orders an ale, bread, a side of local game and farm fresh vegetables.
tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#71 Post by tooleychris »

forgot about deceidons "trophy" :)
Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#72 Post by Rukellian »

yeah, I was wondering what he was doing with a severed head :shock: that poor bartender
Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#73 Post by Rukellian »

Wessiwiser nods his head in understanding as the group tells of their encounter in the forest. Grabbing a foaming pint himself, the mayor gets comfortable in his seat and begins to speak. "It has been like this for a few years now. People disappearing from the cities and town of Dathan, reappearing here in this strange land. From what I can remember, the very first to have found themselves here were bandits. I was a bandit myself once, but I'm a new man now, I have an important job; looking after all of these people, its much more important now then stealing and adding to my personal wealth. But enough about me, I would very much like to hear more about your group. How did you get here, what were you doing at the time? Maybe if we heard your side of things, we could piece together some information and answer some questions."

Though Wessiwiser claims to have been a bandit, at least he has a good head on his shoulders, from first glance.
tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#74 Post by tooleychris »

Hey group. Not sure how open we should be with our mission or how we got here. Maybe claim we were mistaken as criminals and "sent" here?
onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#75 Post by onlyme »

thinking the same thing. wouldnt lie, but not sure how open to be, neither.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#76 Post by Grognardsw »

Deceidon / Dennet tavern

While waiting for the mayor to return, Deceidon talks quietly with the group. He understands his companions concern about the group's "story." He is of split mind; if they conceal their mission, their investigation into the rogue mage will be hampered. On the other hand, who knows if the mage has any eyes and ears in the town.

"I favor saying we are adventurers tracking an evil magician with a crystal ball. We don't know how we got here," says Deceidon. "Otherwise keep intent vague - we are adventurers swept up into this forest by means mysterious."
NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#77 Post by NJWilliam »

Gustov

Gustov quietly says, "How about just that we think an evil magician sent us here and we want to find our way back."
Sebastian, A Candle in the Darkness
Ulrich, Tales of The Troll Company
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers
Hakon Geirmundarson, Pawns of the North Wind
Jameson Rowan, Silverband
Disston Symonds, Sigma Chronos
Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#78 Post by Rukellian »

During the first round of introductions, the food and drinks arrive. Everyone around the group seems to continue their conversations, their laughter, going about their own business.

"But enough about me, I would very much like to hear more about your group. How did you get here, what were you doing at the time? Maybe if we heard your side of things, we could piece together some information and answer some questions."

Noticing that his string of questions may have made the group feel uncomfortable, Wessiwiser adds on quickly. "Of course, every man who comes here has their own business to keep to themselves, I understand. For most of us though, we don't really know how we got here, or we just can't remember. As a bandit, I was working with the infamous Eight Finga' Joe in a grand heist; we were to steal a magical artifact from the old world, rumored to be located in New Dathan's Keep." Wessiwiser shrugs for a moment and gives a smile. "Obviously we didn't get far. When we woke up on the day of the plan, we found ourselves here. That was... about 3 years ago, maybe. It's hard to keep track of time here. No seasons and the whole 'EverSun' deal and all that."

Ending with a bit of smile and forkful of food in his mouth, he says while still chewing, "course, every person here has a story they might want to share, some keep to themselves though."
onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#79 Post by onlyme »

Whitsell figures he needs to answer with something...

Well, I was called to New Dathan for reasons I know not. Figured it was due to my father's metalsmithing or maybe my uncle's farming near the king's land. Went and ended up here before I had time to say much of hello.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#80 Post by Grognardsw »

Deceidon / tavern

Following on Whitsell's comment, Deceidon explains: "We four were united to track down an evil magician in possession of a strange crystal ball. We we transported here by unknown means, perhaps by said sorcerer. Now we seek the mage and a means home."

Then he comments on Wessiwiser story: "I'm glad you reformed your ways. Incidentally, what strange magic artifact were you trying to steal from New Dathan's Keep? I myself am from New Dathan."

"I take it you and your fellow townspeople have over the years tried to escape the forest? Please tell us of methods attempted. Does it seem clerics in this forest can still commune with their gods to gain holy blessing?" (OOC: that is, get their spells?)

Return to “Fabricator of Planes: a Rukellian Module”