Starport Bar (OOC Chat Area)

Hvalreki
Hvalreki
Ranger
Ranger

Re: Starport Bar (OOC Chat Area)

#61 Post by Hvalreki »

Spearmint wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:19 pm Perhaps we need a forum for Players ooc strategy and planning. Deciding between us what characters focus on, who's lead to follow in certain situations, prioritizing avenues of investigation.

For example, Schmidt might want to follow up on the two crewmen who died as they are the only tangible link to the ship so far.
Character strategy and planning are definitely part of the game narrative. I agree for the need of a forum so as not to clog the game thread too much. I'll open an in-game forum for Character planning but the characters need to get somewhere private first, otherwise all of their discussions are happening in the open, wherever they happen to be.
subaltari
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#62 Post by subaltari »

Thumper wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:54 am Damn government bureaucrats!! They’re the same in all times and places!
It figures, man. Was Ty's ship a Serpent Class by any chance? That's the old Paranoia Press design which actually predates the canon Seeker Class by a year or two.

Hvalreki's Repo Men (CT): Gabe Garcia, 7A8772 age 22 (1 term Marines); Autorifle-1, Cutlass-2, Tactics-1, Vacc-1.
OM's Wandering Windswept Wastelands (Hyperborea 3e): Magda thugatêr Erebos, 2nd level Ixian Witch
Spearmint's Barrowmaze (1e): Elbart, 1st level human 'riverman'
subaltari
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#63 Post by subaltari »

Hvalreki wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:33 am Also as a reminder everyone needs to decide how much of their mustering credits they will bring with them in cash vs safely in the bank but far far away and difficult to access (think months of game time for a wire transfer to arrive).
So what does "cash" look like at TL12? I know this is probably a long-standing debate but haven't been around to CotI or other forums to look. I think a lot of refs choose treat it as a sort of unhackable prepaid card, or cred stick, or data crystals.

But Gabe doesn't mind carrying a few K in old-fashioned folding money, if it comes to that.
Hvalreki's Repo Men (CT): Gabe Garcia, 7A8772 age 22 (1 term Marines); Autorifle-1, Cutlass-2, Tactics-1, Vacc-1.
OM's Wandering Windswept Wastelands (Hyperborea 3e): Magda thugatêr Erebos, 2nd level Ixian Witch
subaltari
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#64 Post by subaltari »

Thumper wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:52 pm Self-Improvement rules in Classic Traveller. Those rules (with slight Referee modification) were posted as House Rules #3.
Hvalreki wrote: C) Skill Improvement: Increase a non-weapon skill you already know (includes Zero level skills) by 1 for 2 different skills. The increase is immediate and the permanence rules above apply here as well.
Would a young marine by any chance have Admin-0, Tactics-0, or Vacc-0 so as to be able to improve those skills by this method? :)
TheMyth
Ranger
Ranger

#65 Post by TheMyth »

subaltari wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:18 am
Thumper wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:52 pm Self-Improvement rules in Classic Traveller. Those rules (with slight Referee modification) were posted as House Rules #3.
Hvalreki wrote: C) Skill Improvement: Increase a non-weapon skill you already know (includes Zero level skills) by 1 for 2 different skills. The increase is immediate and the permanence rules above apply here as well.
Would a young marine by any chance have Admin-0, Tactics-0, or Vacc-0 so as to be able to improve those skills by this method? :)
Yeah...Becky's pretty unskilled at everything too. She is now redundant at everything, including Steward!

At least our characters are young! Lol
Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#66 Post by Thumper »

Psionic potential

And we have no skilled Engineers. Only JOTs
Last edited by Thumper on Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#67 Post by Spearmint »

I wanted to ask in regard to equipment and spends. Having 50kcr in cash or the bank is fine but with a 2kcr spend limit, it takes out any ability to equip extras such as a Personal Drone, an Audio & Visual Neural Comm, repair robots, Medikits and Combat drugs, Vacc-Suit upgrades.

Just thinking what Schmidt might spend on rather than having a big pension pot.

Pooling some resources and nominating a party treasurer to purchase stuff in character might nit be a bad thing.
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#68 Post by dmw71 »

Admin Note:
Is this an expected post, or should it be flagged as spam?

Marydow.jpg
Marydow.jpg (71.89 KiB) Viewed 221 times
-- DM --
Simple Idea, Zero Prep (OSRIC)

-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
(Status: Archived)

-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)
Hvalreki
Ranger
Ranger

#69 Post by Hvalreki »

dmw71 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:31 pm
Admin Note:
Is this an expected post, or should it be flagged as spam?

Marydow.jpg
Spearmint's Post is Legit but the second one from Marydow is likely not. Have rejected approval. Thanks!
Hvalreki
Ranger
Ranger

#70 Post by Hvalreki »

subaltari wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:18 am
I think yes for Vacc - 0, in fact anyone that does not have Vacc skill should add Vacc 0, I will update the house rules.

For Admin or Tactics pick one, was "Terminal Lance" Gabe Garcia a Grunt or a Pogue?

Steely Eyed Killer - Tactics (pickup that dog-eared copy of Von Clauswitz!)
or
REMF - Admin (study up on Administrative Sciences)

Make a 2d6 "dedication roll". If you fail you can try again in 3 months game time. If you fail, you can try again in another 12 game months and every 12 months thereafter.
Last edited by Hvalreki on Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hvalreki
Ranger
Ranger

#71 Post by Hvalreki »

subaltari wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:01 am
Hvalreki wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:33 am Also as a reminder everyone needs to decide how much of their mustering credits they will bring with them in cash vs safely in the bank but far far away and difficult to access (think months of game time for a wire transfer to arrive).
So what does "cash" look like at TL12? I know this is probably a long-standing debate but haven't been around to CotI or other forums to look. I think a lot of refs choose treat it as a sort of unhackable prepaid card, or cred stick, or data crystals.

But Gabe doesn't mind carrying a few K in old-fashioned folding money, if it comes to that.
I think there are numerous pages about this on the web and all kinds of debate so I'm not adding to it. :D

Your cash cards each have 10K credits for expenses already loaded on them. They also include your crew identification and codes to access and operate the Perfect Stranger. Think high tech debit card with security features and ID rolled into one. Tough but not impossible to hack with the right skills and equipment.

"Cash" is either a Personal Letter of Credit in (TL 15 card form) from the Bank of Regina in a whatever amount you set up to all the cash you have.

A Personal Letter of Credit can be deposited locally and accessed on words with a functioning banking system and interstellar capabilities. Naturally with the right credentials and security codes on the part of the bearer. Don't lose it.

If you need to get funds from the bank back in Regina it may take a while. A minimum Jump 2 (2 Parsec) route from Filentred (the closest imperial word to you right now) to Regina is 96 jumps away or 1.8 years by civilian electronic communications. Then you've got to wait for the reply back, another 1.8 years. Faster services are available at higher prices of course.

I'm assuming here that commercial civilian comms are handled secure in High Tech blockchain communications that "squawk" to every vessel it interacts with. If you had to wait for the actual ship then double those times for civilian transport (an average 1 week in jump and 1 week in system per parsec).

Cash can also be actual TL 15 imperial notes usable on most worlds in the Imperium and some beyond (including the Islands Cluster for the most part).

Players that have served long enough to get a pension are assumed to have collected their pension at the start of the game. To collect next year you'll need to show up at an imperial base or Imperial consulate with some delays for verifying you are who you say you are. Maybe several weeks/months depending on where you are.
Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#72 Post by Thumper »

REMF- now I know Hvalreki is a carnivore and served!!
Last edited by Thumper on Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hvalreki
Ranger
Ranger

#73 Post by Hvalreki »

Spearmint wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:27 pm
And Old Man…Colonel Hannibal. Why don't you just stand a little to the left…that’s right…good Colonel dude…ah, block the sun in my eyes.
Ty ought to remind himself that 'old man' Schmidt is half a term younger than he.

Colonel (retired) Aziz 'Easy' Schmidt, takes a seat at the table, biting the flip top off a bottle of vintage ale. He is casually dressed in his 'urban wear', pressed and creased to uniform standards still despite his civilian status. He must have a travel bag somewhere unless we are literally meeting up with boarding as the next action.

He waits patiently for other crew to arrive and 'the Plan' to come together.
Foil 3? Gods man, you should have named him d'Artagnan! If you didn't buy a foil I'm mandating you have one, for entertainment's sake.
Hvalreki
Ranger
Ranger

#74 Post by Hvalreki »

Spearmint wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:06 pm I wanted to ask in regard to equipment and spends. Having 50kcr in cash or the bank is fine but with a 2kcr spend limit, it takes out any ability to equip extras such as a Personal Drone, an Audio & Visual Neural Comm, repair robots, Medikits and Combat drugs, Vacc-Suit upgrades.

Just thinking what Schmidt might spend on rather than having a big pension pot.

Pooling some resources and nominating a party treasurer to purchase stuff in character might nit be a bad thing.
Now that the team is in Amondiage, they can gear up with whatever they want to purchase (subject to local TL and Law Level).

For equipment we're using only book 1 weapons and book 3 equipment (OG Traveller).

Remember if you want access to your mustering out cash you need to bring it with you :D

Also as a pensioner you've collected your first year's payout before the game starts.
Hvalreki
Ranger
Ranger

#75 Post by Hvalreki »

Eris wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:54 pm
AleBelly wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:07 pm So, I was looking at the weapons table in the rules. If I'm reading this right, with a STR of 4 poor Piotr can't handle any guns and can really only use a dagger, right? I'm fine with that and think it could be fun to roleplay, but just wanted to make sure this was the case as I start putting equipment together.
Wait! Have I always been reading this wrong? From my reading (well, I'll admit I haven't gone back and actually looked at the book on this lately) STR isn't important for guns, just melee weapons. It's DEX that you need for guns.

In addition, if you don't have the Required STR you can still use the weapon, but you have a -DM, same for guns with DEX you can use them, but have a -DM. If you have high enough STR or DEX you get a +DM, between (I think it's called) Required and Advantaged you get neither + or - DM.

Isn't this correct?
My read is the same as your's Eris. If you don't have the minimum requirement (STR or DEX) you can still use the weapon but suffer the penalty for not meeting the minimum requirement. BTW Pitor took up Yoga so now has the minimum STR for a dagger, huzzah!
subaltari
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#76 Post by subaltari »

Hvalreki wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:41 pm
For Admin or Tactics pick one, was "Terminal Lance" Gabe Garcia a Grunt or a Pogue?

Gabe was and is a Knuckle Dragging, Nail-Eating Ground Pounder (though Deck Pounder is more like it). But with Edu=7 it is possible he's read Sun Tzu as well as Clausewitz.

I already made the dedication roll, linked on his sheet, and will add the Tactics-0 and Vacc-0 freshly raised to 1 each. Thank you Mr. Referee, this is very helpful for a one-termer :)
Last edited by subaltari on Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hvalreki
Ranger
Ranger

#77 Post by Hvalreki »

subaltari wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:04 am
Hvalreki wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:41 pm

Gabe was and is a Knuckle Dragging, Nail-Eating Ground Pounder (though Deck Pounder is more like it). But with Edu 7 it is possible he's read Sun Tzu as well as Clauswitz.

I already made the dedication roll, linked on his sheet, and will add the Tactics-0 and Vacc-0 freshly raised to 1 each. Thank you Mr. Referee, this is very helpful for a one-termer :)
Don't forget, A Traveller character is not merely the sum of his or her expertise (Skills)!

Skills are just something you are very, very good at. Skill 1 is enough to get a paying job. "Easy" is a world class fencer, and rifleman.

Gabe served a term in the Imperial Marines and lived to tell about it. He can likely do anything you'd expect a fully trained Marine to be able to do without needing a specific skill or making any rolls in order to do so.

Probe a mine field, conduct a reconnaissance, set an ambush, call for fire support, perform basic first aid, interrogate a prisoner, shine the hell out of some boots, etc.

Your fellow Travellers have even more "experience" Piotr has 28 years of service behind him in the Imperal Navy, and Ted the same in the Merchant service. Think about all that to draw on as a character and what their capabilities might be.

I'll refer everyone back to my post on How to Play Traveller It's the heart of the game.

OG Traveller is a very fluid style of gameplay. Expertise (skills) are just one of many factors that may affect gameplay. In many cases if you have the experience and make it sound reasonable to me (the referee) you wont' need to roll. Just announce what you're doing (based on your background, characteristics, skills or whatever) and assume you're capable of doing it. If you're not I'll let you know. I always assume character competence.
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#78 Post by Spearmint »

If you didn't buy a foil I'm mandating you have one, for entertainment's sake.
Added as a disguised walking cane. Perhaps taking Foil and duelling lessons this was his attempt to step up the Social Standing rather than go brute force with standard cutlass.

Added Vacc-Suit and pension pay to sheet.
Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#79 Post by Thumper »

Hvalreki, from what equipment list are we authorized to make purchases?
Gorethirster
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#80 Post by Gorethirster »

Jesus you guys post a lot in the OOC. Did we ever establish what "rating" of game we're going for? I imagine Ted has quite the mouth on him, but I don't want to go off in the main thread before I double checked.

Return to “Repo Men (Classic Traveller)”