The Cave Of The Unknown

OGRE MAGE
Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: The Cave Of The Unknown

#61 Post by Darithe »

Magdal

Magdal grins at Renna nodding at the affirming pat. She bites her lower lip a moment in thought before answering the paladin, "I think I counted at least three, though it is hard to tell exactly. Those I saw didn't attempt to hide their tracks, but perhaps not all are so lax in that regard."
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#62 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Magdal discerns foot traffic in both directions, but the tracks are staggered and so periodic that she can't tell the exact number or how many times they may have traveled back and forth.

Unfortunately, she can't give Crobeus the exact answer he seeks. If she were to guess, she would say six walkers travelers in total.
sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#63 Post by sastaz »

Sylla smiles and puts her hands together in a silent 'clap'.

"Very nice work sister, this is one less obstacle to go before we reach our target."

She gestures to Pim, Dredd and Crobeus who seems eager to move on.

"Now, before we go on - and I do understand the hurry - shall we decide on our course of action, should we encounter any others? I am a bit uncertain of your ways in these lands. I would suggest an attempt at parley before we try to to spy or attack, but maybe that is a waste of time in these dangerous areas? Do you vote we strike first and ask questions later? Either way is acceptable, but we need to be in agreement."
Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#64 Post by Scott308 »

Crobeus - Human Paladin

"Well, if it is the group who warned us off, I'm pretty sure they are going to shoot on sight, so attempting to talk is going to get us killed. If someone is hiding in the woods, the odds are good they don't want anyone to know what they are up to, so eliminating everyone that stumbles upon them solves that problem. Unless there is overwhelming evidence otherwise, I'm assuming anyone we meet at this point has bad intentions. I don't necessarily mean we should attack with no warning, but I will not hesitate to choose violence if we are threatened. I want to make sure that each one of us gets back to the keep on their own two feet."
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson
gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#65 Post by gurusql »

Renna

"If we meet potentially hostile humanoids, if I can get a group close to each other I plan to try and put them to Sleep."
GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#66 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Pimlan "If threatened I'll fight. If they parlay I'm not going to rush to violence though." the halfling openly informs the others.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#67 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Searching For The One Cave
The Prickly Briar Patch
Partly Cloudy, Noonish

A quick and quiet conversation about how to proceed the next time they meet up with strangers takes place as the group continues walking north along the trail Magdal found. (I am assuming you would go north and not back towards the road.) The trees and underbrush are tight here, keeping the ranger on her toes as they travel, but an obvious path continues until a clearing can be seen up ahead.

Cresting the edge of the forest, (red x on map) the group eventually comes to a large rocky field where only brambles grow. Again, a distinct path through these brambles continues from the forest path, up the hill towards what appears to be a mine or possibly a barrow mound entrance about 300 yards in the distance. Movement through this massive briar patch would be impossible for anyone other than a druid, and even staying on the trail requires you to move at half speed.

A better option can't be seen from this position, as the briars grow right up to the edge of the tree line in most places. Looking down the recently hacked trail, bits of cloth are noticed hanging from some of the thorns along the path.

Actions?
Wilderness.jpeg
Wilderness.jpeg (162.14 KiB) Viewed 6230 times
Magdal Haldeene AC7 16/16
Crobeus AC3 10/10
Pimlan Greenstride AC6 8/9
Renna Kellamin AC4 9/9
Sylla Lontharra AC5 6/6
Stobart Galt AC5 10/10
Dredd AC3 16/16
hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#68 Post by hedgeknight »

Dredd

Not really wanting to pick thorns out of his ass tonight, although if Mags needed help picking them out of hers he'd fight anyone in the group for the opportunity, the Half-Orc points toward the treeline on the right with his spear. "Maybe skirt the edge of the treeline to the hole up there? Keeps us out of the open and the briars."
Winter is coming...
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#69 Post by OGRE MAGE »

In case you couldn't read the fine normal print.

OGRE MAGE wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:12 pm A better option can't be seen from this position, as the briars grow right up to the edge of the tree line in most places.
hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#70 Post by hedgeknight »

OGRE MAGE wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 4:47 pm In case you couldn't read the fine normal print.

OGRE MAGE wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:12 pm A better option can't be seen from this position, as the briars grow right up to the edge of the tree line in most places.
No, I read that, I just didn't describe correctly. I meant to say we could stay within the forest and skirt the edge of the open field. That would give us cover and may keep us out of the worst of the briars. My bad.
Winter is coming...
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#71 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Ah, yes. I see.

That is always an option, but as mentioned, the briars fill the entire rocky field, so it may not be any easier.
shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#72 Post by shaidar »

Stobart

"That would certainly allow us to get a closer look at the cave entrance, although we'd probably end up returning to this spot to use this trail."
gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#73 Post by gurusql »

Renna

Renna will look at the "captured" cloth and try and remember anyone that we would know that was wearing clothes make from this cloth.

"Dredd, I think that you have identified a good place to camp tonight, but I would recommend we continue down the path as it is only about noon."
Scott308

#74 Post by Scott308 »

Crobeus - Human Paladin

Moving back into the trees so that they are out of sight of anyone watching from the opening, the paladin gives his thoughts on the current situation. "Smart. The people here know exactly what they're doing. With only one path to the opening, it is easy to watch and defend. The dense woods and thick briars make any other approach almost impossible, and if somebody does actually try, they'll be sitting ducks, out in the open and unable to move very well. We know they have crossbows.

As much as I hate the idea of walking down the path toward a likely ambush, I think our best bet is exactly that. Especially if we try to cover the ground quickly. Stay low and move with purpose. They might not expect a frontal assault. But I'm willing to listen to other options.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#75 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Pimlan surveying their surroundings and the way up the path nodding his head "I think you are right Crobeus, any other way is going to be very difficult, unless we stumble upon some secret way. Our best bet is to stay low and take the path."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e
Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#76 Post by Darithe »

Magdal

Takes note of the cloth stuck in the brambles, looking them over to see if she can determine how long they have likely been tangled in the thorns looking for weathering. Wondering how long these folk have been staking claim for themselves.

Again biting her lower lip in thought before stating, "I agree with Crobeus, a swift full-on dash down the path is our best bet." She is greener probably than many others here, but her father taught her well, so she also adds, "With our warriors in the lead and the rest following closely. But they would be fools not to have someone watching. I think a trap here is unlikely since they need to also use the path. But one can never be sure, so be alert to anything unusual in the pathway." She takes her shield from her back, with the depiction of a bird in flight and readies it, before drawing her longsword.

Wisdom (14) Check: [1d20]=15
hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#77 Post by hedgeknight »

Dredd

Since most are in agreement, Dredd prepares to move forward. Spear at the ready, he awaits the signal to move out. "I'll take the lead if necessary."
Winter is coming...
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#78 Post by OGRE MAGE »

While we await Sylla's argument... ;) :lol:

If you intend to adjust the marching order, I will need to know that.
sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#79 Post by sastaz »

-What do we say to the God of Arguments?
-Not today.

Sylla nods in agreement.

"Those pieces of cloth might not be remains of previous travellers but some sign- or warning system set up by the anbushers. Either way, I don't see any options but going down this path. Let's stay prepared and let any attackers know what they're up against. Remember, bandits are not demons, they care for their own lives as well."
Scott308

#80 Post by Scott308 »

Marching order: Dredd, Crobeus...who's next?

Return to “Revisiting the Classics: Mod 1 “Return to Kendall Keep” (1e)”